Super Eurobeat 193

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Mikaeru
Master of Time

Post by Mikaeru » 09 Jan 2009, 17:36

Been really warming up to Looka Bomba. Still think a different song in more of a Go Go Girls style, as opposed to them singing Go2's style would have been better, but the song is really growing on me.

DJ Mike TJG
Eurohero

Post by DJ Mike TJG » 09 Jan 2009, 19:49

Having looped these a few times now I'm gonna give out my ratings... reasonably in line with my initial thoughts:

02 Lou Hunter / The Never Ending Story 8/10
- Excellent vocal work, and an overall warm fuzzy sound keeps the 80s spirit alive!

03 David Dima / Save A Prayer 9/10
- Dima really is a powerhouse you can truly rely on! It's liking taking all the energy that made Vibration so great and harnassing it with greater deftness! I take back the generic-sounding stuff - the conversion from 80s to Eurobeat really suits this one to a tee!

04 Tipsy & Tipsy / Hung Up 8/10
- From the moment I saw this one pop up on Juno, I was dubious about how well this Madonna song would translate to Eurobeat, but Asia really proved they could pull this off. The only thing that faults this, and this is distinctly the original song's fault, is that it's way too repetitive on its chorus (which gets magnified in a 5-minute EB mix), but luckily it's bouncy enough that it's a lot of fun!

05 Tina Ray / Video Killed The Radio 7/10
- Losing the quirky male vocals that made the original interesting, this seems to have less of a distinct identity in the world of Eurobeat covers, but nonetheless a good effort!

06 Mark Farina feat F.C.F. / Bad Desire 8/10
- Farina's vocals are still as strong as ever, and this remake only serves to prove what quality writing was behind Asia until they starting getting too wound up in repitition! Still, a great remix that rejuvinates and brings it up to tie with the modern Eurobeat era!

07 Kevin & Cherry / Doctor Love 3/10
- The opening joke in the first few seconds is about the only thing that made me smile here. Something about this remake just feels hollow, the synths, the drums, the vocals... they aim so hard and never quite manage to mesh to form a cohesive whole, and it's a shame, because some parts of this showed some promise.

08 Lolita / Try Me <Platinum Mix> 8/10
- In what turns out to be one the album's great surprises, this remix really did work wonders for an old song. Maybe it's the way Eurobeat has moved on since the mid-90s, but I have to take the original in low doses, because its synth has such a harsh, shrill sound to eat that pounds the eardrums. This remake, by comparison, while perhaps being a staple in the all-too-soft modern Annalise material, shows that A-Beat C can thoughtfully approach their old material and take a different approach that actually works. A great treat!

09 Dejo / Too Young To Fall In Love 4/10
- The vocal work in this song is actually pretty stellar, which is why it's all the more disappointing that the synths and backing vocals do such a disservice and ruin things. After such a stunning showing on 192, it's such a shame to see SinclaireStyle go downhill again.

10 Go 2 / Hot Vampire 8/10
- The guys make a good effort with this GGG classic - not better, but it surprisingly rises up as one of Go 2's more stellar songs from recent memory!

11 Go Go Girls / Looka Bomba 5/10
- I'm struggling to hear the power that this song needs to be fun to listen to - the main synth lacks it, the drums lack it. Oh dear!

12 Fastway & Christine / Number One 8/10
- So many elements in the original remain for this one - sound effects, certain synths - but hearing SCP apply to their modern style to this is a surprise once heard in full! Nice to hear redone vocals too - with considerably more clarity than the original (listening to it again, it really is quite a muffled affair)! It's a score!

13 Pistol Girl / Ike Ike 8/10
- The album's other big surprise. What gets me is comparing this to A-Beat C's effort with Try Me - there are some interesting similarities. But the biggest joy is hearing relatively unpitched vocals this time out, and a very matured sound compared to the more gigglish and genki sound in the original. Plus, the punch in the bass keeps this song from going into bland territory!

14 Dave Rodgers feat. Mike Garson & Rafael Moreira / Space Boy <Grand Mix> 9/10
- Hearing such soulful guitar and piano playing applied to one of Dave's true classics is a gem in and of itself! The blend of soft but jazz-like piano with the electrified energy of Eurobeat is, at first, jarring to take in, but really works its way in when you hear how much the guest players get to just plain improvise and really seem to be enjoying themselves!
Last edited by DJ Mike TJG on 09 Jan 2009, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 09 Jan 2009, 22:59

Here are my thoughts on SEB193! :)

2. Lou Hunter / The Never Ending Story (4/5)
It's pretty neat how this song was able to translate pretty well into a Eurobeat track. The vocal work is pretty decent, and so is the melody... I just don't really like the synth hook in this song. Although, overall it's a decent song.

3. David Dima / Save A Prayer (3/5)
I've never heard the original of this song, but David Dima was able to pull this off to sound so much like all his other stuff. Maybe it's the start of a Hi-NRG Attack syndrome from Dima? The song itself isn't very good to my ears, but again - it translated into Eurobeat pretty well. David Dima has pretty kick ass vocals though which is what saves the song for me.

4. Tipsy & Tipsy / Hung Up (5/5)
Great translation from Madonna's hit into Eurobeat. The vocals are kick ass and it's an overall great song to listen to.

5. Tina Ray / Video Killed The Radio (2/5)
I was never a fan of this song... I actually really hate this song, so it's no surprise that I'm rating this low. Sucks, I know. Vocals are decent though, and it did translate into Eurobeat pretty well.

6. Mark Farina feat F.C.F. / Bad Desire (5/5)
Love this remake! Mr. Farina still has it in the vocals department, which are top notch in this track. Classic!

7. Kevin & Cherry / Doctor Love (4.5/5)
Amazing remake!!! I love love LOVE the vocals in this song, sounds like classic Eurobeat voice-sound with a more upto dated sound.

8. Lolita / Try Me <Platinum Mix> (0/5)
Horrible, HORRIBLE remix. It's too airy, doesn't fit the style of the song AT ALL, doesn't match the vocals at all... it just ruins the whole track for me. Try Me is one of those classics, and when I was a paralist I loved this track for the thumping bass and the sheer fact it was so fun to dance to because of the beat... but this just ruined my whole life!!! Okay, if Annerley laid down new vocals with her new style of singing we're now use to, I'm sure it would have fit this sound better ...but that didn't happen. Definitely skip this track!!!

9. Dejo / Too Young To Fall In Love (4.5/5)
There are a few aspects of this song that really... peeved me. The high pitched back vocals for one thing, are really weird... I could do without those. And the "yeah yeah!" parts are cut out, which was a favorite part of mine in the original. Other than that, it's a solid track and I will definitely be listening to in the future.

10. Go 2 / Hot Vampire (5/5)
When I first heard this song was being sung by Go2 I was trying to think how this would sound like. I mean, Two males singing a pretty feminine Go Go Girls song? I could never imagine them singing "sex vampire" either. xD Though, they definitely pulled this off. They made the song their own. The voice-sound in this song is so masculine, it's so powerful. It was tactful to change "he's coming" to "she's coming"... The song is just so in your face aggressive. (thanks for that line, Jorge. XD) I definitely love the "Go2! Go go Girls!" part. :3

11. Go Go Girls / Looka Bomba (5/5)
I have to say ... thank god for Go Go's Music. It's so awesome to finally have "DOMINO AND LOLITA" Go Go Girl songs. You can distinctively point out both girls, and it doesn't sound like the ABeatC "we unplugged Domino's mic" Go Go Girls songs from the past. With that said, the voice-sound in this song is haunting... the harmonies and the way both girls sing together is pure gold, especially in the chorus. Again, when Domino told me she and Lolita remade Looka Bomba, I had a "wtf" moment - I didn't know how this was going to turn out... but it turned out to be amazing.

12. Fastway & Christine / Number One (5/5)
I just have to say, the redone vocals in this song are AMAZING. Christine isn't all pitched to hell and Fastway sounds more up-to-date (if that made sense. haha) which actually fits better with this song, surprisingly. The song is SO full of bass, and thankfully that doesn't subtract from the song... it actually adds an element to the track that makes it unique from the original... as I would believe that it was difficult to remake this song without changing drastic elements. Anyway, this song is definite hit.

13. Pistol Girl / Ike Ike (4/5)
Okay... first off... to just get this out of the way - I like the original MUCH better than this song. Though, this doesn't change the fact that this remake sounds good to me. The voice-sound changes in pitch throughout the song, which is kind of weird. The vocalist's singing is deeper than I imagined it to be, but I think gives the song a different feel from the original. It's a decent song but nothing to write home about.

14. Dave Rodgers feat. Mike Garson & Rafael Moreira / Space Boy <Grand Mix> (0/5)
Who in their right mind would think the transition (or I should say LACK OF) from the piano intro to the synth hook was acceptable? It ruins the WHOLE song. It makes no sense to why they would even ALLOW themselves to be that lazy as to just splice the song together like that. Anyway, the remix is just huge mess of synth, guitar, and piano. If they cut the piano all together, toned down the guitar, and actually took the time to create a decent introduction to this remix, I would definitely be giving it 5/5 - because the synth hook alone is pretty sweet. (I would like to see ABeatC do more of that 'style' in the future) - The whole direction of this song turned out to be a huge train wreck. I'm 100% positive that it could have been executed much better, but unfortunately it wasn't. Honestly, this remix is a huge embarrassment for ABeatC. I expect more from a label that has been creating Eurobeat tracks for years... I can't express further about how disappointed I am with this track, because Space Boy is definitely on the list of my all time favorite Eurobeat songs.

Go Go Girls / Looka Bomba
Go2 / Hot Vampire
Fastway & Christine / Number One

Bottom 3:

Dave Rodgers feat. Mike Garson & Rafael Moreira / Space Boy <Grand Mix>
Lolita / Try Me <Platinum Mix>
Tina Ray / Video Killed The Radio

Overall album score: 4/5 (due to the AMAZING tracks - definitely forgivable for the filler of this album.)
Last edited by Nine on 16 Jan 2009, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

Brisk
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Brisk » 10 Jan 2009, 00:54

Guess I'll do my first review ever:

2. Lou Hunter / The Never Ending Story 9/10
Oh I love this song so much. This song makes up for all the mush Time made during the 180s. The synth is best part and din't know it was Eurogrooves a first lol.

3. David Dima / Save A Prayer 8/10
We need more Duran Duran covers on SEB. Everything sounds ok, although I'm waiting for some female action.

4. Tipsy & Tipsy / Hung Up 8/10
I liked how they kept the original backing melody. Really great cover overall.

5. Tina Ray / Video Killed The Radio Star 8/10
If this is Annerely, then she should start singing for Eurogrooves instead lol. The chorus with the backing males sounds so smooth to the ear.

6 Mark Farina feat. F.C.F / Bad Desire 5/10
There's something about the sounds in this that makes my skin crawl while at the same time it sounds excellent. Just hoping for something different from Saifam.

7. Kevin and Cherry / Doctor Love 2009 10/10
This song still hasn't gotten old after buying it when EM 20 was released. The sirens and that little shouting in th background is still intact. Davide and Clara sound so good. The synths are damn fine. Still sad its Delta's only song.

8. Lolita / Try Me (Platnium Mix) 8/10
This reminds me off A Neverending Night which I loved so much. A Beat C is slowly rising back up. Really glad they kept the original vocals because they sounded amzing back in the 90s

9. Dejo / Too Young To Fall In Love 10/10
The backing vocals for some reason don't irritate me as much. I'll agree with the Nine that the "Yeah Yeah" was the best part and shouldn't have been removed. I like this more than the original. Sinclaire has yet to disappoint so hopefully, Nando joins the party soon.

10. GO2 / Hot Vampire 9/10
I like the little shouts of GO2 and GO GO GIRLS. SCP did a good job with this. They should do more label swapping every so often.

11. Go Go Girls / Looka Bomba 9/10
Yay a fun track. This sounds like a classic Go Go Girls while still retaining the GO2 energy. After hearing what Nine said, A Beat C GGG songs didn't sound like they had Domino so thank god for Go Go's to finally hear Domino in the tracks.

12. Fastway & Christine / Number One 8/10
The synth sounds a lot cleaner than the original. Pretty good remake overall but there's something missing than I can't point out.

13. Pistol Girl / Ike Ike 6/10
Unfortunately the original trumps this by far. Honestly, HRG is not doing so well in the 190s but at least this is an improvment. I really don't like the vocals.

14. Dave Rodgers feat. Mike Garson & Rafael Moreira / Space Boy<GrandMix>
I never use images to describe songs but this is an exception:
I don't know what the fuck they were thinking when they added RANDOM PIANOS. It's like the just jammed random piano keys and called it acceptable. How does pianos ruin a great song like this? The synth sounds ok but the piano and transition to the synth just brings this track down and it turns worst as the song goes on. Doesn't help it's the longest song of the album. This needs to DIAF, etc, etc. Really one of the worst songs I heard in the past few years.
-100/10

Top 3:
1. Kevin and Cherry / Doctor Love 2009
2. Dejo / Too Young to Fall In Love
3. Lou Hunter / The Never Ending Story

Bottom 3:
1. First third of Space Boy
2. Second third of Space Boy
3. Last third of Space Boy

I've never been harsh on a song before until I bought this album.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 10 Jan 2009, 04:58

Nine wrote: 14. Dave Rodgers feat. Mike Garson & Rafael Moreira / Space Boy <Grand> (0/5)
Who in their right mind would think the transition (or I should say LACK OF) from the piano intro to the synth hook was acceptable? It ruins the WHOLE song. It makes no sense to why they would even ALLOW themselves to be that lazy as to just splice the song together like that. Anyway, the remix is just huge mess of synth, guitar, and piano. If they cut the piano all together, toned down the guitar, and actually took the time to create a decent introduction to this remix, I would definitely be giving it 5/5 - because the synth hook alone is pretty sweet. (I would like to see ABeatC do more of that 'style' in the future) - The whole direction of this song turned out to be a huge train wreck. I'm 100% positive that it could have been executed much better, but unfortunately it wasn't. Honestly, this remix is a huge embarrassment for ABeatC. I expect more from a label that has been creating Eurobeat tracks for years... I can't express further about how disappointed I am with this track, because Space Boy is definitely on the list of my all time favorite Eurobeat songs.
Brisk wrote:14. Dave Rodgers feat. Mike Garson & Rafael Moreira / Space Boy<GrandMix>
I never use images to describe songs but this is an exception:
I don't know what the fuck they were thinking when they added RANDOM PIANOS. It's like the just jammed random piano keys and called it acceptable. How does pianos ruin a great song like this? The synth sounds ok but the piano and transition to the synth just brings this track down and it turns worst as the song goes on. Doesn't help it's the longest song of the album. This needs to DIAF, etc, etc. Really one of the worst songs I heard in the past few years.
-100/10
drnrg wrote:14. Dave Rodgers feat. Mike Garson & Rafael Moreira / Space Boy<GrandMix>
This last track I purchased just to see where all the hate is comming from. I agree the original is an ABEATC classic and I'll again rub it in by saying...I have the vinyl Evil or Very Mad Anyway, Beautiful piano is greatly appreciated but WTF with that intro? Lebon's favourite riff out of nowhere syndrom is once again present in this track(being sarcastic) What they did was add guitar and raw piano to this new version. What works is the guitar and inserted Synth riffs, because of it's aggressive vibe, but the piano sounds really off. I get the impression someone is randomly playing the piano in the backround while the song was being recorded. I mean, the piano melodies just don't fit the song at all. What was Dave thinking? O.K: lets see if the break gets better. A song can redeem itself with me one hundred fold showcasing a proper break. Pretty cool break, but the piano is off tune to the songs melody and that break was too short for my liking. What follows is really cool and talking about the second break showcasing the giutars. Now that is what the remix should sound like. Another break? This one is wierd. sounds like a whole other song. Dave redeems big TIME in that third verse by singing with music dropped and added bassline and I'm really glad the pianos do not make...oh no there they are again. You know I'm gonna remix this song to my liking and chop off that outro as well. This idea might have looked good on paper, but fails to my ears. Third Strike in a row for Dave on members' reviews.
6/10
All of them were Quoted For Truth.
Last edited by Lebon14 on 10 Jan 2009, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 10 Jan 2009, 05:57

Ok I bought a few off Mumo. What I did get was pretty damn good except one song that sucked ass.

2. Lou Hunter- The Never Ending Story (Eurogrooves)
Ahh... Dall Ora takes on the 80's Limahl classic. Wow this has a really EPIC intro, which doesn't surprise me at the least cuz it is Dall Ora style. Now the song as a whole reminds me of those TIME classic like Hold On To Love and Turn Off The Light just to name a few. It's like Powerful male aishubeat. I don't recall the original having a riff, so this dreamt up Dall Ora one sounds exactly what it should sound like. I also love those pounding drums that sound kinda like explosions. That's Eurogrooves! This TIME it sounds like Lou Turner doing the vocals, which is a smart idea, since he does Stylophones; an alias the song could have easily had. For now we say Lou Hunter is lead singer of Stylophones. Just Like Mike Hammer was lead singer of Tension and so fourth..The bridge has some sweet female backup and gives it that heavenly feeling. Now the chorus is just the title repeated, but the stylings of Eurogrooves sounds perfect by adding in the ahhhhs, but in a way that builds up to the riff. Now what happens after that second riff is amazing when those Raw pianos are added. It alsmost reminds the listener of Dima Style. What I truly love is the fact that there are so many instruments being played and inserted throughout the song that one cannot help noticing the great production values of Dall Ora and Degani. Limahl never sounded so good. I only wish such an epic song had an epic outro as well.
10/10

3. David Dima- Save A Prayer
Wow! double whammy! Two 80's hits done the right Eurobeat way. This one takes on a whole other approach as Dima inserts his regular aggressive vibe onto the song. The original Duran Duran classic was really mellow so hearing Dima's Guitar stylings really bought the song new life. An Epic intro if there ever was one and that riff, has gotta blow the listener away. Verses , bridge and wham! that guitar lick just as the chorus kicks in is Eurobeat gold. Of course the third riff is epic and builds right into an awesome break, coupled with synths and guitars. Now we got that third verse. Here is when DIMA style really shines as all the different soundwolrds shine through and give the song a second life to carry it through the final outro; which incedently uses the original sounding instrumental compostion of the original's intro and outro. A definate 80's Rollarcoaster ride with David Dima as the conducter.
10++/10

5. Tina Ray- Video Killed The Radio Star
Now Eurogrooves takes on the sleeper hit of the Buggles. Once again so much craft is inserted into that intro you gotta appreciate it's greatness. The riff style is from the non aggressive side of Dall Ora stylings. This TIME around we don't have neither Elena nor Dahny doing vocals , but definatley one of the other Anns that from TIME to TIME do vocals for Dall Ora. Annerly Gordon maybe? It's amazing how the verses lend themselves to Eurobeat style and yes that chorus sounds picture perfect Eurobeat. I especially love the added Male backup. It's nice to hear the famouse breakdown from the original make an appearence singing it's "You are Radio Star" line. That third verse verse is really Apple-esque sounding in the way her vocals are being sampled and we really are getting a heavy dose of OhOhs. Another truly welcomed remake from the 80s.
10/10

6. Mark Farina feat.F.C.F.- Bad Desire
Had this one for a while too. it's a pretty good remake, but when you come from the era where the original was such a classic, it's hard not to be prejugdicial to this new reamke. Mauro sounds stellar. No doubt about that, but I feel the current percussion stylings of Saifam do not compliment the song's original feel. What I did love and still do is that break and even more the third verse which follows almost immediately. SomeTIMEs dropping the music does wonder to a song and on this particular trcak it actually gave it a sense of sounding much more like the original bpm's. I know it's way off, but still gave me that effect. A good song, if anything to remind you how great 80's Eurobeat was.
8+/10

7. Kevin and Cherry / Doctor Love 2009
Ok I still love this track. It's one of those songs that are my absolute favs from DELTA, infact one of my first vinyls from them, so the song holds a special place in my heart. Davide sounds great and the more I heard the song, the more I really began to dig how cool he sounds when trying to sound semi-aggressive. Clara sounds like she did 10 years ago, so it's great to see she has such amazing vocal chords. I hear members biggest complain being the new reinvented riff. It's not better than the original. Not by a longshot, but fits the vibe of toda's Eurobeat, by givving it a more jumpy hyper feel, as opposed to the original, which had a darker eerie vibe. Still that's the main reason I loved Nando's version so much. For now DELTA gets a smooth 9/10.
9/10

9. Dejo / Too Young To Fall In Love
I bought this because I wanted to see how Sinclaire takes on a Gino Caria classic. Messege to Bratt: stay away form Gino's classics. There is no way to better a Gino Caria unless you are Gino caria. O.k I'll admit De Leo's rendition of Funky Lady came close, but not better than Gino. What this song does is make bad decisions. I wonder if Sinclaire is all alone on the mixxing table, cuz getting rid of the Yeah Yeahs was an absolute atrocity. As I'm speaking of Gino's vocals; I feel Dejo kinda sounds like a distorted Gino in the intro, but that's just me. I'm also on board with those two members who actually like the added super hyped backups. I think Sinclaire wanted to get accross to dog ears.LOL! The new riff is cool and sounds Uber-great in the absent Yeah Yeah's but I still feel he should have included those and combined the two. If you hear that break, that is where those strong hyper synths really shine. This is definatlet a step up for Sinclaire and especially the mediocre souding first offering of Get Wild. That outro break has gotta be one of the sole reasons I give this song higher than it deserves...and that's not saying too much.
7+/10

10. Go2- Hot Vampire
We are up to one of my top 5 tracx from this cd...and yes again Go2 hits that bulls eye! The original for me came and went like a breeze in the night. I had to listen to it to remeber what to expect from these guys. I was worried this sound too gay, but I'm glad she came instead of him. LOL! This track has so much SCP energy injected into it and the way the riff is reinvented gives me a very strong early SCP sound ,but at the same TIME oozing Not For Sale ,with all the usual Go2 shout outs, which sound just right on this song's reVAMPing. I also don't recall so many guitars in the original. All in all while the lot may disagree, I think I'll concider this Go2 the better of the two. I also forgot how incredible an SCP break can sound when the appropraite vibe is inserted. I wish this song could have been longer, but lets just say that epic outro makes up for that samll defect.
10/10

12. Fastway & Christine / Number One
This song I had to purchase just beacuse the original is and allways will be my Favourite SCP track ever. I'm so torn apart , but right from the first few notes I can easily say the original for the win. I just prefer the original SCP syths style to this newer heavenly sounding soundworlds. Thier old style synths still had a strong hint of Italo vibe, which is completely absent in thier newer soundworlds. As well as Ennio's vocals. They sounded more rawer and deeper and even the female vocals ,while more hyper, sounded just right.The riff is tight enuff, but ...any way, lets get to parts that blew me away!
Number One: the hey heys sound incredible and I want those inserted in the original. Probly noone know what I mean, but if you listen to Marilyn Manson's Beautiful People you'll understand the effectivness of those hey hey's. Number Two: The intro. Give credit where credit is due. This one builds up great to the new riff and coupled with those same Hey's and whoa's sounds just right for the new Eurobeat era. What I like Is that those new effects don't sound at all from the cutsie side, but rather fit the songs original aggresssive vibe. Number Three: The break: which sounds like the intro, but with a Christine style hint. The one aspect that keeps it a low nine instead of a high nine is the fact that the music plays continually, while in the original many a TIMEs the music was dropped and gave it a different feel. Proof that too many instrumnets going on at the same TIME is not neccessarly better.
9-/10

13. Pistol Girl / Ike Ike
one of the few HRG Attack cutsie songs that I concider great. That along with Daisy Duck. It's particularly due to the rather aggressive styl melody in the chorus and the fact that her vocals sounded actually pretty normal. Now does the new version surpass the original. That's seldom the case with these remakes unless the whole song takes on new life like Go"'s Hot Vampire. What I remeber from the original was a damn cool break with drums that is absent in this version that already knocks it down a notch. However the intro from this new version clearly surpasses the original by showcasing it's power from the start. Now they also decided to give Tri-Star backups vocals, which she didn't need and of course we got Mini mouse squeaking her way onto the verses. It doesn't sound bad, but I still prefer the original's vocal compostion. Anotherpart that I perefer in this new version is the third coulpet. the whole musical arrangement fits the Eurobeat style better than the original, but WhereTF is my cool breakdown from the original? That and the fact that it's cut down by almost 40 seconds make sit inferior to it's original.
8/10

14. Dave Rodgers feat. Mike Garson & Rafael Moreira / Space Boy<GrandMix>
This last track I purchased just to see where all the hate is comming from. I agree the original is an ABEATC classic and I'll again rub it in by saying...I have the vinyl :evil: Anyway, Beautiful piano is greatly appreciated but WTF with that intro? Lebon's favourite riff out of nowhere syndrom is once again present in this track(being sarcastic) What they did was add guitar and raw piano to this new version. What works is the guitar and inserted Synth riffs, because of it's aggressive vibe, but the piano sounds really off. I get the impression someone is randomly playing the piano in the backround while the song was being recorded. I mean, the piano melodies just don't fit the song at all. What was Dave thinking? O.K: lets see if the break gets better. A song can redeem itself with me one hundred fold showcasing a proper break. Pretty cool break, but the piano is off tune to the songs melody and that break was too short for my liking. What follows is really cool and talking about the second break showcasing the giutars. Now that is what the remix should sound like. Another break? This one is wierd. sounds like a whole other song. Dave redeems big TIME in that third verse by singing with music dropped and added bassline and I'm really glad the pianos do not make...oh no there they are again. You know I'm gonna remix this song to my liking and chop off that outro as well. This idea might have looked good on paper, but fails to my ears. Third Strike in a row for Dave on members' reviews.
6/10

As for the other tracks, I'm not too sure I'll get those untill I order the cd. Looka Bomba and Try Me were never favouritesof mine, I hate popular dance music, but I might still like Hung Up. I just hope it has a proper Eurobeat riff. As it is I'm pissed off at Dave this TIME from S.B.(Grand mix)

..and Lebon you might as well add me to your QFT comment , cuz that song sucked eggs.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 10 Jan 2009, 06:26

drnrg wrote:..and Lebon you might as well add me to your QFT comment , cuz that song sucked eggs.
Done. :D

Btw, to those who buys the song off mu-mo or bought the CD, I can mix the original intro of Space Boy (the first original intro back then) and remove most of the part where there's piano (There's an exception though : the last riff).

PM me if you are interressed. I will fulfill this request when I'll have my CD.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

WNight
Euroheater

Post by WNight » 10 Jan 2009, 08:33

I suppose I am all ready for a review, I have been looping 193 for some time now. Lets review this CD :

The Neverending Story - Lou Hunter
We start off this song with a cover of Limahl's song of the same title, Ever since Euronight came out, I have been pretty interested in what Eurogroove have to offer and I have to say they're doing pretty well at the moment. I have to say, this is much better than the original, which is the least to say, not very appealing. A nicely made melody mixed with proper vocals make this a song which will not fall too far down the gorge.
Grade : 8 1/2

Save A Prayer - David Dima
With songs like this appearing under Dima's belt, I cannot help but wonder why he does not appear as often on SEB, This is a very well done remake, so well done it puts the original to shame, it has a very nice eurobeat melody that is really catchy. Yes I am dead serious. I like this a lot, We can only hope for more Dima in future SEB.
Grade : 10++

Hung Up - Tipsy & Tipsy
The original by Madonna really irritated me a lot, Fortunately, this doesn't go down that line but it isn't THAT good either. It isn't exactly all that catchy and the chorus is quite boring, but other than that, Nice try. It works but not a bullseye.
Grade : 7+

Video Killed The Radio Stars - Tina Ray
More covers from other genres. Ok, It could just be me but I only have one complain with this song, ONE MAJOR COMPLAIN, the "ohwa ohwa ohwa" part, it is pretty annoying and everytime I hear this song, I have to have my guards up against that annoying part. The original suffers from the same stupid problem as well. Would have been a perfect song if I didn't have to pay attention to an annoyingly horrible bad part in an otherwise good song.
Grade : 9+

Bad Desire (New Para Para Version) - Mark Farina feat F.C.F
We are finally moving onto eurobeat covers of eurobeat and the song to kick off the round is a remake of Bad Desire. It is BAD ass indeed, What a great improvement from an already good song ... This song retains a nostalgic yet sped up and modernized melody it is hard to not like this song in the end, but there are better ones.

Doctor Love - Kevin & Cherry
Someone tell me if Sirens are the in-thing these days ? Why are there so many songs with sirens these days ? To alert us to be alert when driving ? Ok, Never mind. Anyways, this is a double edged sword, It is better than the original and it has two big names taking the role of remaking this, but in the end I found that it isn't the kind of song that I would really crave to listen to, maybe occasionally I might take a listen to when I got nothing to listen to or something like that ... but otherwise, a good song.

Try Me -Platinum Mix- -- Lolita
One of my favourite Lolita songs of all time got the honour to undergo song surgery, did it work ? Yes of course! The original was enough to make me feel good after listening to it, x10 that and we get the platinum mix of the song. The vocals don't seem to have been reworked, but thats perfectly fine when you have a kick ass melody to blend with. Superb eurobeat remake is all I can say.
Grade : 10++

Too Young To Fall In Love - Dejo
At this point of time, I was already feeling quite worried that a remake album would beat a good album with whole new songs (191,anyone?), This is not the time for that however, as Maurizio and his team of eurobeat producers has given a not so good song some extra horsepower and this is the result : A good song. Sure feels good to listen to this.

Hot Vampire - Go 2
Not the time for a slump yet ? Nope, instead, I want to say .... The first absolute groundbreaking hit of the album is finally here! This song reeks of perfection so much I almost swooned! Hot Vampire has remained one of my all time favourite Go Go Girls song and Go 2 and SCP clearly brought this song sky high into perfection it is just irresistable to listen to. A god awesome melody backed by the perfect male aggressive vocals I love so much makes this song rise high on this album. A BIG thank you to SCP and Go 2 for this masterpiece!
Grade : 10+++++

Looka Bomba - Go Go Girls
Ok, now we have a switch of roles after the previous song, which was a direct hit and also a masterpiece in a long while. The ultimate question is : If THAT worked, does this ? Sure it worked, but not as well as the other song, I got to credit GGM for the marvellous remade melody which is quite a new outlook to a powerful original which kicked ass. The vocals by Go Go Girls are just as well done as Go 2 (They even have so many Go's in their names.)However, lets just say that this worked, just not a masterpiece like the other one.
Grade : 9-

Number One - Fastway & Christine
The original song didn't manage to capture my attention, but I have to say I am all ears to this one. Fastway & Christine, can it go wrong ? Nope. At least, it worked very well for me. Therefore, shut the original off and turn up the volume on this one, This is a better deal than the original in any way.

Ike Ike - Pistol Girl
Now this is the slump, but it really isn't all that bad. This song is quite a dillema in the sense that the original had a not as good melody but good vocals but the remade version had a good melody with not so good vocals. In the end, I didn't really grow to like this song but at least, its listenable.
Grade : 7 1/2

Space Boy -Platinum Mix- -- Dave Rodgers feat Mike Garson & Rafael Moreira
I am probably alone when I say this but ... THIS SONG IS THE REAL DEAL! THE 2ND ABSOLUTE GROUNDBREAKING HIT OF THE ALBUM! Yes, I am very serious about this. This song is god damn awesome I literallt ran out of words to describe how damn good this song is. The song has a similar structure to Fevernova like starting off with a calm intro followed by a massive BLAST!, which probably made me like it a bit more. It starts off with a soothing piano medley, which is fine. When the actual song kicks in, I was totally sold. I have nothing more to say besides this : Supreme Groundbreaking Eurobeat At Its Ultimate Finest (Applies to the Go 2 Song as well).
Grade : 10++++

Final Words :
I am stunned, I really am stunned, I just have to suck my thumb and admit that this album full of remakes actually triumph over a marvellous album with no remakes ( SEB 191 ). There are no bad songs here but as usual, there will be songs which cannot put up a fight against the stronger opponents. THIS album should be a perfect example for future remakes on how it should be done. Also, this album got me "double blown", which probably reflects the high lvl of this album. Well done! It's time for some love and sweets next.

Final Grade : 10

Best 3 :
Save A Prayer - David Dima
Hot Vampire - Go 2
Space Boy -Grand Mix- - Dave Rodgers feat Mike Garson & Rafael Moreira

Worst 3 :
Ike Ike - Pistol Girl
Hung Up - Tipsy & Tipsy

HM :
Number One - Fastway & Christine
You and me like a fire tonight
Me and you 2 guardian angels
Now I feel your touch into my heart
A ray of sun~

- Guardian Angels / Oceania

Takarou
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Takarou » 10 Jan 2009, 09:01

Man, I was just starting to recover from the high Roswell's "Rock in the Fire" gave me when I got my hands on this album. Now I'm on an all new high from "Too Young to Fall in Love". I honestly tried to listen to the rest of the album, but every time I switched away from this song, all I wanted to do was go back to it. :\

cheeseman
Eurobeat Master

Post by cheeseman » 10 Jan 2009, 09:29

Damn, that new version of Space Boy has got to be the most controversial Eurobeat track in a long time.
Jion wrote:-19,0005678 out of 10
DJ Mike TJG wrote:9/10
Nine wrote:0/5
Brisk wrote:-100/10
drnrg wrote:6/10
WNight wrote:Grade : 10++++
Interestingly, that Mike Garson guy is apparently a renowned pianist, and has worked with some well-known artists in various genres. Even so, he probably went WTF?! when Dave sent him Space Boy and told to add a fitting piano improvisation part... This reminds me of the 2006 Osaka Automesse performance, when they had a live drummer that couldn't keep up with the song's pace. :D

valiant
Eurobeat Master

Post by valiant » 10 Jan 2009, 11:21

^
To make it even more confusing

I am adding 10/10 for the Space Boy "Grand Mix" track. I really like the piano intro, there is a lot of power behind this track.

10/10 for Dima's Save a Prayer.
Once again, just oozes with Dima's powerful vocal work.

I really like the label switch, I hope they do something like this again in the future someday.
Dima: The God of Eurobeat

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 10 Jan 2009, 16:24

Having finally been able to listen to the Space Boy remix in full, I must say that I was impressed by the piano intro and by the "rest of the song" as two separate entities. However, the major issue that I have is that there is no effort made to link the two parts of the song. Would it have been so difficult to include a dramatic synth fade in or drum build-up just to tie the two sections together?

Number One has surprised me as I honestly didn't think there was a lot of difference between the 2009 and original versions other than some arbitrary Fastway shouts, but the production sounds a lot richer and complete (the original always sounded a bit mono somehow), and Christine's vocals don't sound half as squeaky which is a good thing in this track.

However, Save A Prayer remains my strong favourite on this album at this stage. From the guitar and beat build-up in the intro to the inspired song choice and fitting vocal delivery from Dima - everything just works perfectly. If anyone would have told me that a Duran Duran track could be made into a top-drawer Eurobeat anthem, I would've probably laughed in their face. I'm so glad Dima proved me wrong. He's a genius!! :grin:

Will154
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Will154 » 10 Jan 2009, 16:51

I thought all the songs were great ... all above 8 ... even Space Boy ...lol
I wont judge Space Boy from its intro , of course.

Top 3 :
-Save A Prayer - David Dima [They have became my favorite label on SEB from now on ... how much i love this track !]
-Too Young To Fall In Love - Dejo [I LOVE THE RIFF , finally a SinclaireStyle riff that doesnt have ''generic eurobeat estrogene'' style , even if i dont mind that style so much. The vocals were just okay , just okay...Niko can do better , or can hit that opera girl singing behind him.]
-Try Me - Lolita [I was dissapointed it being Ann Lee singing instead of Elena Gobbi...but its still a great track. Really great remix , ABeatC wise.]

I dont have bottom 3 songs this time.

Though i was a bit disappointed in the Eurogroove songs , but like i said , there is not a song i don't like on this album , but still , i am looking forward to Vol.194 sooner or later.
Finale grade : 10

PS: Dima is just too awesome.
Last edited by Will154 on 10 Jan 2009, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 10 Jan 2009, 17:01

You can add a -10/10 from my side...
Details later in my review (if I have time)
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Jion

Post by Jion » 10 Jan 2009, 17:10

drnrg wrote:9. Dejo / Too Young To Fall In Love
I bought this because I wanted to see how Sinclaire takes on a Gino Caria classic. Messege to Bratt: stay away form Gino's classics.
But the thing is the original was written and produced solely by Bratt sinclaire. I agree though that this remake was terrible compared to the original. The backing female (or male a la Festari style) high pitched would even make HRG Attack say "you really pitched that too high". Along with the sped up feel of the song and it's not special. I will say that De Jorio singing in Caria's style was an excellent touch and should be explored by that alias (Dejo) for more songs.

As for Space Boy, honestly if they took out the random piano after the Chorus the first time, the song wouldn't be a problem and would be epic. I honestly thing the problem this song suffers is more structure. I think I'm gonna re edit it and get opinions on my hypothesis. The guitar is killer in the song.
You can hate me but you know you have quality issues =p