'List of electronic music genres' article in Wikipedia.

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Humbedooh
Forum Cow

Post by Humbedooh » 14 Dec 2008, 01:32

If we are talking about origins, then yes, eurobeat is derived from italo disco, but then that's derived from disco, which is derived from popular music, which comes from jazz somewhere down the line, which comes from classical music....and what's the bloody point of making those dumb categories just for the sake of putting everything in boxes?

You can pretty much only misplace Eurobeat in that listing, because the listing itself is principally flawed and useless. Hi-NRG is listed as a House genre, yet the entry for Hi-NRG says it's disco music derived from electronic dance music...that's not information, that's misinformation.

IF I had to place Eurobeat anywhere, it would be in a wide and including category called "dance music", and not some category refering to big afro haircuts and john travolta looking like a douchebag on a dancefloor.

Personally though, I'd be more than content with Eurobeat NOT appearing anywhere on that list. It would be an insult to the genre and a draconic and ill-educated attempt at trying to sum up the whole world with a ruler and a paper weight. Eurobeat isn't just disco, but it is disco. It isn't just pop music, but it is pop music. It isn't just dance music, but it is dance music. But what it definitely isn't is a genre that you can just box in and define as if it was cut in stone for all eternity, however great anyones desire to enlarge their e-peen by posting some crap on wikipedia might be.

Next people will be wanting to define the exact boundaries of art, eh?
- De apibus semper dubitandum est
(You never know about bees)

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 14 Dec 2008, 02:13

Humbedooh wrote: Next people will be wanting to define the exact boundaries of art, eh?
You'd do well to meet my Art/Design teacher. You'd get an earful of why we should do just that. ><

And you make a good point. Eurobeat can only be loosely categorized in a LARGE group of genres (which is how Oingo Boingo—a band— was in their career), but doesn't fall into one specifically. It is sort of its own genre, entirely crafted from other genres and entirely unique as well.
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 14 Dec 2008, 02:24

What I'm hearing a lot of here is people trying to establish a special case for eurobeat, implying it's somehow so twisted and different from everything else that it somehow defies categorization with other genres which are just as legitimate.

Most of us have a special place in our hearts for eurobeat, but that's no excuse to put it on a pedestal above and beyond description. Many of the genres that are found in the list have their own unique and complicated origins and many of them probably aren't an amazing fit into the categories they've been funneled into.

The idea is to take a look at what can best be defined as the umbrella genres for that specific idea of 'electronic music' and then how to best place subgenres within those boundaries.
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice

valiant
Eurobeat Master

Post by valiant » 14 Dec 2008, 05:34

Lets put it in whatever category "Eurodance" was put in. Or just stick it in the umberlla genre: "Dance"
Dima: The God of Eurobeat

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 14 Dec 2008, 06:02

valiant wrote:Lets put it in whatever category "Eurodance" was put in.
That would be Disco.
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 14 Dec 2008, 07:12

I'll say one thing...whoever put Hi Energy in the house genre is a total jack ass.

Eurobeat clearly was born from the two gebres of Italo Disco and Hi Enegry.

Italo for the catchy and sometimes meloncholic melodies of Eurobeat and Hi Energy for the fast BPM's and Keyboard progressions.

Hi Energy and Italo are also two different genres and only resemble each other through the instruments used in the music.

Eurobeat for the most part has been around since early 90's, but just when did Italo fuse into Eurobeat? I love to use TIME as an example because thier sound made the quickest jump in style and BPMs.

Even in there 1200 they were releassing both Italo and Eurobeat. Helena- Just An Illusion was cleary still geered to the Italo crowd, while Mike Hammer- Heartbreaker was definately Eurobeat.

The correct thing to do is give Eurobeat it's own entry. It's been around for 20 years and though mostly underground and followed by an musical elite crowd has withstood the test of TIME 8)

valiant
Eurobeat Master

Post by valiant » 14 Dec 2008, 07:30

Cosmic_Bard wrote:
valiant wrote:Lets put it in whatever category "Eurodance" was put in.
That would be Disco.
Problem solved, lets just put it in the Disco wiki. Along with Eurodance.
Dima: The God of Eurobeat

pokecapn
Eurobeat Boom

Post by pokecapn » 14 Dec 2008, 07:48

drnrg wrote:Even in there 1200 they were releassing both Italo and Eurobeat. Helena- Just An Illusion was cleary still geered to the Italo crowd, while Mike Hammer- Heartbreaker was definately Eurobeat.
And in my opinion, Heartbreaker was still italo because it had that classic Dead Or Alive style bass, and the actual riff wasn't very fast or complex. Compare it to King Kobra - Sledge Hammer a year later, which still had the DOA bass, but a faster and synthier riff. I think that song definitely has a better mix of the two philosophies behind italo disco and eurobeat.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 14 Dec 2008, 08:29

pokecapn
And in my opinion, Heartbreaker was still italo because it had that classic Dead Or Alive style bass, and the actual riff wasn't very fast or complex. Compare it to King Kobra - Sledge Hammer a year later, which still had the DOA bass, but a faster and synthier riff. I think that song definitely has a better mix of the two philosophies behind italo disco and eurobeat.
The fault is that Dead Or Alive was never concidered Italo. It was labeld Hi Energy. That is why I used it as an example of when TIME's Italo catalog was geering towards the Hi Energy crowd which eventually fused into Eurobeat. Dead Or Alive was massivly popular in Japan and if you listen to 70 precaent of Eurobeat today it has that classic DOA melody. Most notably in HRG Attack songs and Oda's -Rainbow to name a few.

Sledge Hammer is a great example of Hi Energy fusing into Eurobeat.