Super Eurobeat Vol.208

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
WNight
Euroheater

Post by WNight » 21 Oct 2010, 07:25

I'm still not gonna do a full review, because I don't have much to say about most tracks and also partly because this eurobeat decade is about to come to an end.

02. JUNGLE OF FIRE / LAURA VOX (10/10) - I had a full review for this because it was just that good but to summarise it all, this track is epic, REALLY EPIC! The bridge and chorus especially fits that description PERFECTLY. Also, Laura Vox is AMAZING and she's hands down the best vocalist I have ever heard from Hi-NRG. This track better be in the best of 2010!
07. THE MAGIC OF SUNSHINE / CIAO CIAO (9.5/10) - Surprise track of the album for me, a much better track than HTSIS for sure.
01. TELL ME WHY / RICH HARD (9.5/10) - Those bell sounds are ingenious.
05. QUEEN OF HEART / CORRADO (8/10)
03. INVISIBLE TOUCH / FASTWAY (7/10)
06. CRAZY / DAVID DIMA (7/10)
12. MIND GAME / DREAM FIGHTERS (7/10) - Good intro but too bad the rest weren't as catchy.
09. NEVER GONNA MAKE / RADIORAMA (7/10) - Probably the best Saifam track to be released this decade.
04. AWAKE / STEPHY (6.5/10)
10. MEMORIES OF YOU / ORLANDO (2/10)
11. EYES OF SKY / VIVI (2/10) -
08. PRETTY WOMAN / FRANCIS COOPER (-100000/10)

Megan188
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Megan188 » 25 Oct 2010, 08:20

I think Memories of You is a strangely amazing song on the album. It's so beautiful and so catchy that I always start singing along to it whenever I'm listening to it in my car! It's very similar in style to Danny Wilde's Deep Into Your Eyes, except that the vocals are different and the production is newer.

Queen of Heart is another one of my favorites from this album. The vocal performance is wholeheartedly excellent, and the melodic construction is smooth, yet intriguing. This song, along with Marika's Stay With Me, have single-handedly restored my faith that Capaldi can still produce amazing songs, so long as the vocals are crisp and the song structure is thorough and dynamic. I also love the EZ Do Dance Remix near the end of the CD.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 07 Nov 2010, 06:48

I have decided to do what none has done as of yet and that's give SEB 208 a proper review. The songs are in my opinion , some of the best of the year 20210 and the cd deserves a proper representation. Sorry for the red underlines. I wrote it up on Word, because my internet connection takes a dump from TIME to TIME and I knew it wouldn't last the duration of the actual legnth it took for me to write up the review. So now ,without further delay....
Dr. NRG's Review Super Eurobeat 208

1. Rich Hard- Tell Me Why (Sun Fire)
Putting a Pasquinni production at the start of a SEB cd has proved effective in the past, but this TIME, I feel that the power of his recent productions has been massively subdued. We all remember the high adrenalized debut hit of Rich Hard. It really seemed to be from a different world and I was really hoping we would have gotten more of that while “Pirates” was still fresh on our minds. It never helps a new artist to be absent for so long, especially when they are beginning to establish their sound and one can really hear this on Rich’s sophomore offering. Hardly do I ever use the word bland in a sentence concerning an AbeatC production, but that’s exactly the word this song inspires. It really goes by without any high points whatsoever. The intro is practically nonexistent and even sounds out of place on a Eurobeat aishu style song. I recall those “airy” intros from songs by Analese in the 170s. The synth sounds like it was taken from one of those throw away Mega NRG Man songs of the 170s as well. In fact the whole song reminds one of those bland, uninspiring offerings AbeatC was showcasing during the 170s era. There is really no need to even discuss the verse, bridge, nor chorus, because they are as boring as they come. To top it off the song goes one further step and showcases one of the most unimaginative breaks downs in years. Rich even sounds like a tired version of Dave himself. I’m sorry to say, but this type of production really just puts a dent on new label that has already established itself with a very strong start. I can’t recall a Pasquinni production that was this bad in quite sometime and I; for one, hope I it’s a very long TIME before I have to again.
6-/10

2. Laura Vox- Jungle Of Fire(HRG Attack)
This label is on a roll and it seems that nothing can stop them. At least not, for the TIME being. We all know how the studio has recently taken interest to revisit the Italo era of 80s with songs like” It’s All Up To You” and “Hard To Say I’m Sorry”, but they also stay close to those famous melodies they are so notorious for.. The name Laura Vox has released nothing but high quality Eurobeat songs, so I was highly anticipating this song just from the title alone. Right away one can hear the high quality of an LMS production. It’s fast and catchy. No doubt about that, but also polished for the new SEB era. Gone are the high pitch vocals and messy chaotic synths. Instead we get an amazing vocalist who sounds like she actually sings in her normal tone. The synths are more from the mis 90’s era. Broken and with more accepted melody. Now for die hard fans like me, there has never been any trouble with the chaotic messy sound, but it’s a breath of fresh air to listen to something from HRG Attack that might actually be played on the radio. You can actually make out all the lyrics without the booklet. How many x can one actually say that about an HRG production? Anyway, as far a true Eurobeat song is concerned, this one has one of the most recognizable chorus melodies around. A song that is easy to follow and sing along to will always deserve a very high grade and with songs like this, I can stay confident that the label will keep my Eurobeat cravings at ease.
10-/10

3. Fastway- Invisible Touch(SCP)
I really love the title of the song and for that reason alone I was will to forgive SCP for the song’s run TIME of less than 4.00. It really is becoming ridiculous and I really wish I knew the reason behind this? Some say this is the usual run of the mill Fastway, Go2 material and while that may be true to some extent; mainly the synth riff, I would still consider this one of SCPs stronger Enio sung productions. It’s catchy and carries the well sought after build up in the chorus. A trait ,I consider essential for an effective traditional Eurobeat song. That chorus alone holds together the entire package which does have a few errs. The most notable for me is the rather short intro and the way he pronounces Invisible Touch. My guess the intro and break had to be this short in order to actually fit in a decent Eurobeat song in just 3:58 mins. I was inclined to give this song a much higher grade as I did for “Plastic”, but because of the high quality of the cd strong competition from the other labels, and notable “No nos” I had to keep it at the good level and leave it at that.
8+/10

4. Stephy- Away(Dima Music)
Dima is another label that seems to be doing exceptionally great on the latest SEBs. This TIME around we have a new Stephy Martini song and I’m happy to announce that her latest song sounds more Eurobeat that her last effort. It’s is the traditional Eurobeat songs that I feel her vocals excel to the fullest as she can really belt out those high notes in the chorus buildups. This song takes Dima back to the writing style he used at TIME records. He does have his own sound worlds, notable the raw pianos and drums rolls before the chorus and it’s just those added sounds that have really given his productions the mature sound of the 2000s. There is really too much to say about this song as it is “magical and mesmerizing” in every sense of the word. The melody sways along as if taken on a ride through the skies to a new horizon and there is a part in the song that really emphasizes on that image. Of course, I’m speaking off that slight breakdown at the 2:44 mark. It’s just a slight touch like that, that gives an aishu song the magic and epicenes to compete against the most aggressive high octane song and still prevail.
9/10

5. Corrado- Queen Of Heart(DELTA)
Up next we have DELTA and It’s really a nice showing how the labels are spread out on this cd. 5 songs into the disc, and all different labels showcasing their music. At first I was very skeptical of this DELTA song. I saw Capaldi in the credits and kind of put my guard up for another rehashing of that already tiring overused intro of his productions, but I decided to warm up to the song for the sheer fact that DELTA’s productions have a way of growing on me. I usually get a quick high when a new DELTA song is released, but shortly after my inter4st will fizzle out unless I consider the song a true classic, but seldom does a DELTA song not enter my top 10. Corrado is a new DELTA artist who may or may not be the voice of Marko, but none the less his vocals are very effective for this kind of semi upbeat Eurobeat song with a touch of aishuness in the melodies surrounding the chorus. I come back to the intro, because it’s really a fresh sounding accapela style not used nearly enough as I would like to hear. It’s funny, but the first few TIMEs I heard this song, I didn’t really pay much attention to it. Shame on me, because the moment I decided to listen to it all the way through with no distractions at all, I discovered what could easily become one of my most celebrated DELTA songs of the year. There are quite a few musical effects that attribute with me loving this song on all levels. I already mentioned the simple ,yet powerful intro, but the real reason lies behind that jumpy 90s style riff. I’m too lazy to compare, but let’s just say this song could have easily been one of DELTA’s first productions; which instantly gives it that classic status. Another wonderful effect the song uses is the backups. The female vocals almost sound as if in duet fashion during the chorus with Corrado singing the last line and that gives the chorus an even more epic feel to it. The break is somewhat simple, but the light romantic synths behind the percussion keep the Valentine’s theme in strong balance with the rest of the song. That romantic epic vibe is exactly what has been missing form DELTA prods since the TIME of songs like “Mira La Luna” and I’m glad it has been revisited. At least on this song ,that could have easily been sung by Kevin Johnson or Paul Harris. So I’m happy to say that Corrado presents us with a very powerful song with a perfect Eurobeat grade.
10/10

6. David Dima- Crazy(Dima Music)
There’s just no denying that Avex is currently in sinc with Dima’s productions, as we are up to hit number two on this SEB 208. I have to start off by saying that since I fist saw the artist name David on Europanic series; this is actually the closest that a song has come carrying the name David(Dima) I immediately was taken back to songs like “Revolution”. The style is one that I most associate Dall Ora’s uplifting writing style in the early 2000s. Hear it seems that DiMarcantonio has polished up his own uplifting Eurobeat style of Europanic and presents us with an amazing composition. You can allready hear that epicness in the intro and riff, but as the listener is introduced to the first verse, one feels that will be no ordinary ride. To best describe the style, one must listen to the last verse of “Freedom”. A lot of broken up instrumental parts and added effects like short breaths and stuttering. They are downplayed, but a keen ear will pick up on these effects. In fact, the whole structure of the verse is almost like verse, bridge different with different bridge and then the chorus. Very cool if you like experiments that do not straw to far away from the true Eurobeat sound. These experiments are the style that I welcome onto my Eurobeat. Dima is fast becoming the label to watch out for in terms of new Eurobeat sound worlds. Even his traditional guitar sounds take a back seat to more abstract musical effects used in this production. I can only say that the horizons look very promising for the crew at Dima studios.
9/10

7. Ciao Ciao- The Magic Of Sunshine(HRG Attack)
The very high level of the cd continues with the label that has been inspired heavily by the Italo roots of Eurobeat. To pick the artist of Ciao Ciao for this song, further emphasizes on this as one can recall Ciao Ciao appearing as far back as HRG 115; the 15th record, of the now famous and oldest Eurobeat labels still appearing on the series. Those fans in their 30s will even remember Ciao Ciao at Asia label and with no coincidence that Claudio Accantino was a driving force at that label during the 80s; this song follows very much that said style that melted so many Italo hearts throughout the years. Now as many have mentioned, this song is way more powerful than traditional aishu Eurobeat. I’ll go as far at to say that only it’s relaxed bpms would slot it in that category. As with Corrado’s song;It took me a while to warm up this song, I was hard on it’s use of sound worlds. Not the melodies, but the instruments themselves sounded too high for their own good, but with each listen I payed close attention to the piano effects and especially the vocals and found myself falling love with HRG Attacks slower style all over again. This also happened to me with “It’s All Up To You”. Infact, the one song, I accepted at first listen was “Hard To Say I’m Sorry”, but now it seems I’m addicted to this new sound as you will on my next review for “Pretty Woman”. Incidentally this “Magic Of Sunshine” is my favorite track off the cd.
10+/10

8. Francis Cooper- Pretty Woman(HRG Attack)
While “Magic Of Sunshine” sounds powerful and romantic at the same TIME, this new Francis Cooper song captures that true Italo sound of the 80s without missing a trick. From the “Galloping” bass to it’s use of percussion and accapella style intro, the song oozes pure Italo disco spirit. To resurrect the title of Francis Cooper was another ingenious decision. Not only has the alias Francis not been overused, but he also hasn’t had too many songs and in the company of names like Mad Cow, Joe Toaster and Joe Banana , it just seems natural for Francis Cooper to take on the ownership of an Italo flavoured gem like this one. Aside form the heavy Italo vibe, the song also has a quaint New wave campy ness right before the riff, but my oh my it’s that riff that takes me back to those Italo songs like Brando- Rainy Days and Fellini- Passanger. I believe Mauro Farina would also have sounded great doing vocals for this song. The real surprise is how amazingly Roberto “Nick” Festari has accustomed his vocals for a song like this after so many years of pushing the limits on his Joe’s and Cy-ro aliases. I already say that “It’s All Up To You” was no “One trick poney” as his new hit “Rainy Days” will further prove. For now ;I’m quite comfortable their new style.
10/10

9. Radiorama- Never Gonna Make(Saifam)
Another label that has been going back to their roots is Saifam. Not only in musical style, but also by resurrecting one of the oldest Saifam titles. Radiorama is probably one of the most famous; if not the famous duets in Italo Disco history. It almost always consisted of Mauro Farina with female companion. Ex: Elena Ferreti. Sometimes; just Mauro on his own, so it’s weird to hear only female vocals in the new Radiorama lineup. What stands out about this song, is its up tempo melodies. One cannot hear this song and not feel good about everything. It is less attractive then “Always On My Mind”; that song was Saifam perfection on all levels, but this one just puts in a happy phase. Think of the effect that Mela’s “Sandy” had on you and you will understand my meaning. Saifam is a label that excels on a strong and catchy bridge to the chorus. As far back as I can remember; Saifam has always delivered in this department. Even if the rest of the song was terrible; I recall the bridge always sounding great. This song doesn’t have any problems there, but my one beef would be the use of the synths. This style usually works for labels like DELTA, but doesn’t really keep at the uptempo vibe the rest of the song has to offer. Still. a nice a song for Saifam label to showcase, but not as adequate as the next song.
7+/10

10. Orlando- Memories Of You(Saifam)
I start off by saying that I never heard the original; which rumors state followed more the musical style of those 90s bands like C.O.RO.N.A and Whigfield. A style I didn’t really warm up to, so I was not tainted by any bad memories of this song. What I immediately loved was the use of violins and raw pianos in the intro. The “lalalas” are also a nice touch and the icing on the cake is the acapella effect right before the riff. As you can tell, I’m a huge fan of Accapella in the intros and outros and feel they are not used nearly as much as they should be in Eurobeat today. What I love about the aishu offering on this cd are somewhat a bit more powerful that the aishu style of yesteryear. Wether it be the louder percussion and what not, but there is definitely a strong presence in today’s aishu material and this song capitalizes on that. All the way ,to the final aggressive guitar note.
8+/10

11. Vivi- Eyes Of Sky(SCP)
When I first saw this name on the track list, I thought it for sure sounded like the Sun Fire song. Boy, was I wrong. I don’t know if it’s the memories of the epic fail of “I Love My Dog”, but the artist ,Vivi might forever be tainted in my ears. I mean she would have to release the female counterpart of “Not For sale” or something like that for me to forgive her for the mascot loving diddy. Anyway, it’s definitely not happening with this song. 3 TIMESs in a row and I still can’t tell the different melodies of the song apart. The verse, bridge, and chorus all follow some “Airy” transy sound that just sounds too transparent for me to care following the song all the way through. It ends the same way it begins. With no impact at all. Infact, the only reason I realize it exists, is because the sheer awesomeness of Dima’s next track. Did I mention this Vivi song barely crosses the 4 minute mark in song length? That didn’t help it at all.
6/10

12. Dream Fighters- Mind Game(Dima music)
…and we are up Dima’s 3rd offering on this cd. Probably the reason I conceder this cd one of the best of 2010 is because it’s full of all my favorite labels. Well, almost all of them. Anyway, Dream Fighters finally release a title tru to the Dream Fighters of “Storm Bringer”. Which ,can all be quite confusing, if you try to follow the different aliases with certain styles. There really should be 4 Dima aliases. One; for up tempo songs like “Crazy”, one for the aishu style, and maybe 2 for the fast aggressive style like this song. I like the fact that for “All About You” it was just Dream Fighter. Anyway, back to this song. It’s “King Of The World” all over again for we are treated with some epicenes and powerful Dima showing. It’s an adrenaline rollercoaster ride from start to finish. With all the testotsorome you can inject in between. No doubt one of the standouts of the cd and once again Dima provides us with a very effective intro. This song is definitely the most traditional Eurobeat sounding track among his other three offerings on this cd and a welcome addition to all the Di’Marcantonio hits of yesteryear. As I listened to this song I was wondering how it would sound with the name Lou Grant or Robert Patton behind it. Haha! I know that was silly, but it really captures that old school sound back when he produced songs for TIME. Does it surpass “King Of The World”? Not quite, but it sure comes close.
9+/10

This pretty much ends the cd for me. I’m pretty tired of just repeating the same thing for the J-Euro track and the last track should be on one of those healing compilations. This cd surely turned out to be one of the best ;if not ,the best of 2010. All labels featured, showcased at least one hit and in some case, all hits. My only regret would be the poor showing of Sun Fire this TIME around, but I’m sure Pasquinni will rectify that on SEB 209.
I still don’t understand what is up at Eurogrooves. Surly Dall Ora hasn’t forgotten how to produce Eurobeat, much less the Eurobeat of late 90s as seems to be the current interest for AVEX, and I’m still surprised how very few members decided to give this cd a proper review. Some have expressed their high esteem for a few featured songs, while others their discontent for the lack of certain labels featured this TIME around, but the quality of this cd merits a stronger interest. Positive as well as negative and hopefully my review will rekindle and inspire a few more reviews.

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 07 Nov 2010, 13:03

By popular demand (well, from drnrg at least) I thought I'd at least start my review for 208 before I consider doing 209. There are still a few tracks that are shining bright for me on this release, while a few others are lucky if they've received more than one full play-through. As ever, a 10 is the highest grading I will give...

SUPER EUROBEAT vol. 208

01 TELL MY WHY / RICH HARD (Sun Fire) [04:14]
I have been pretty down on this track since the previews were posted for 208, and to be honest my opinion has been extremely slow and reluctant to change. The biggest bug-bear I still have with the most recent Sun Fire records are the synth sounds they are using - the bass line here sounds far too choppy and way too loud for the accompanying soundscape, the percussion is a little too sharp for my tastes, and more than anything the overall soundscape produced just seems quite amateur. Now if this is Futura's first production attempt then some of that can be excused to a degree, but I know the true talent and genius behind the people at Sun Fire and I just don't understand why they have lost that spark and rich sound that permeated every single A-Beat C song, good or bad. I can't really fault the vocals - they sound crisp and fresh, despite fighting against the backing track a lot of the time. I will admit that over the past few days I have started to warm up to the chorus of this track (it has been popping into my head throughout the working day, which is always a good sign of a successful hooky melody) but this track still has a long way to go before it reaches the heights of the monster A-Beat C hits of the past.
Score: 7/10

02 JUNGLE OF FIRE / LAURA VOX (Hi-NRG Attack) [05:55]
I still love the "epic anthem" that this track first portrayed to me in the 30 second sample. I have visions of Laura on a massive stage standing high on a podium while flames shoot up all around her. Much like Sexy Wild & Crazy Sound (still her showcase track for me), this track lets the melody do the talking first a foremost. That's not to say that the production doesn't add to the listening experience - it most definitely has the right balance of guitars, synths and "accent bursts" supporting the most powerful notes from the vocal melody. This chord progression has been used possibly more than any other in the Eurobeat world (the 3 step ascending scale), but somehow this track manages to make it sound fresh. The second half of the song also shows that Hi-NRG Attack are still undoubtedly the masters of extended track breakdowns. I love the warped vocal effect that is used on the chorus during the intro and that comes in again towards the end when the beat drops. Laura is most definitely the brightest female star at Hi-NRG Attack that can continue the labels reinvention. Great track - easily in my top 3 from this album.
Score: 9.75/10

03 INVISIBLE TOUCH / FASTWAY (SCP) [03:59]
If anyone not familiar with this label wanted to know exactly what SCP, and in particular Fastway, were all about, all you would need to do is play this song! This encapsulates everything that the fans have grown to love and expect from this most charismatic of vocalists, and it's great to once again see him back again showcasing the labels style over those young whipper-snappers Jay Lehr and Jager. The intro, if I'm honest, is a little uninspired - the half-whispered chanting of the song title over and over doesn't really effectively introduce the song for me. However, that synth hook is one of the best that I've heard from the label since the amazing Send Me An Angel on 203. The trademark shouts between the vocal phrases echo his style at Go 2, but the real star for me is the chorus. I absolutely adore the the lines ending with "fire" and "desire" as his vocals seem to take on a magical quality that sends shivers down my spine (especially the melodic progression on the first "every day, every night, I'm on fire"). I could easily loop that chorus over and over and be contented for ages - it's so well-written and performed. Overall, this reinforces the feeling that I've had for a little while now - Ace is losing his touch, but Fastway still has that youthful spark and energy that draw me in every time.
Score: 9/10

04 AWAKE / STEPHY [Dima Music] (05:16)
Confession time. Even I have started to tire of the amazing Dima productions a little, which really depresses me to admit. Don't get me wrong - if anyone asked me who the strongest and most consistent label in the Super Eurobeat was, I'd choose Dima without a moment's hesitation, but with so many tracks filling each release at the moment it means that every track has to be even more amazing and breath-taking than the last. If anyone at the label can produce a hot hit, it would surely be Stephy. Her last outing at the label - I Belong To You - received almost universal praise, and while this track doesn't push the boundaries quite as far as that track, I can still hear some very unique composition ideas. The synth hook has quite an offbeat feel that builds all the way through until the climax where we have Stephy's classic vocals entering the fray. The vocal performance once again cannot be faulted - my only feeling is that this time around she doesn't sound quite as unique as she did in I Belong To You (which sounded like it was crafted around her, rather than her vocals being added after the song had being produced). All things considered, this track is yet another strong hit for Dima, but it doesn't quite reach the extremely high standards that he has set for both himself and Stephy of late.
Score: 9/10

05 QUEEN OF HEART / CORRADO (Delta) [05:01]
I was surprised by the fairly luke-warm reception that this track got after the samples were released. To me, the chorus had "monster hit" written all over it, and I'm delighted to hear that the full version lives up to that first impression. Starting straight off with the chorus was the best possible decision, as the key hook is showcased from the word go and it immediately enters your mind. The vocals are vulnerable yet purposeful, portraying the emotions in the lyrics with great conviction and style. The staccato synth hook ramps up the energy levels to the right level, and I adore the power guitar chords going on in the background - everything is just constructed so perfectly! The verse and bridge sections are so dreamy - the melody is just beautiful, and it perfectly re-introduces that anthemic chorus. Just as others have said already, I love that Capaldi has started to push himself a little more to vary his productions to stay true to the sentiments and emotions in the lyrics themselves, and this is particularly evident in this song. On any other album, this track would have gone straight to the top of the pile for me without a doubt - sadly for Corrado, he landed on the same album as the almighty Ciao Ciao. Still, I am soooo excited to hear what this alias brings us in the future, as he's set the bar extremely high with his debut.
Score: 10/10

06 CRAZY / DAVID DIMA (Dima Music) [05:23]
If ever a song title could be accused of misrepresentation, then this track would surely be the guilty party. There's nothing really crazy about it to my ears. The intro makes me thing of Sinclaire's productions for some bizarre reason, and to be honest that's not really the best comparison in the world you could have from my point of view. The hook is guitar heavy, which is fair enough, and it works prety nicely with a good amount of energy and flair coming from the supporting synths. Where the track starts to fall down is from the start of the verse. Dima's vocals sound a bit forced, and I really don't think that muffled quality he quite often has in songs suits this particular production. A much clear sound might have worked better (in fact, Manuel might have worked better as a vocalist...) The quirky sounds in the background are clearly trying to recapture some of that Depeche Mode/Duran Duran sound from the 80's that Dima so much praise for Save A Prayer, and for what it is I guess it works. Sadly, I was just expecting something a bit more. Everything slots together nicely, but I'm neither truly excited nor enthralled by the production or vocals, and by the end of the first chorus I had a sinking feeling of "is that it??" I know that Dima can do so much better, and this crossover styling doesn't fully work for me. Bring back the anthemic stylings of Save A Prayer - more spunk and attitude needed!
Score: 8/10

07 THE MAGIC OF SUNSHINE / CIAO CIAO (Hi-NRG Attack) [06:09]
WOW!!! Stock, Aitken and Waterman - listen and weep my friends, as Hi-NRG Attack are now the kings of the sound that made you famous. The first time the intro for this track bubbled and sparked through my speakers, I knew I was listening to something truly special. The underwater effect on the vocals gives a cartoony feel, which is a bit odd, but when that heavy galloping bassline kicks in with the vocal synth stutters, I was in 80's heaven!! Absolutely everything about this production has an epic over-exaggeration about it, which I absolutely adore. The piano work during the bridge section gives a wink to the world of 90's house while still staying true to the retro school disco feel of the main production. While I earlier stated that Laura Vox was the brightest female star in the Hi-NRG Attack studio, I still adore the vocals in this track - they give the whole production a unique "cartoon" quality, that is charming and very addictive. The main synth hook is the best that Hi-NRG Attack has so far produced for this new sub-genre that they are carving out that their label, and this track has actually managed to do what I didn't think would be possible. It has put Hard To Say I'm Sorry in the shade, and in spectacular flourescent-headband wearing style. I still can't stop grinning anytime I play this track, and it's the perfect wake-up call to start every day - that's why it's now my alarm tone on my mobile!
Score: 10/10

08 PRETTY WOMAN / FRANCIS COOPER (Hi-NRG Attack) [05:51]
Weird how the full version of a song can make such a vast difference in my enjoyment of it. This track was clearly the superior offering out of the two slower Hi-NRG Attack tracks when I heard the samples, but sadly this one falls down where Ciao Ciao shone in full extended glory. I can't actually place my finger on exactly why this track fails to engage me in the same way as Magic of Sunshine. Perhaps it's the more primitive sounding synth used in the main hook. It could be the more airy-fairy production which lacks some of the raw power and punch that TMoS had. The main thing that works against it is probably it's position on the album, since coming straight after Ciao Ciao makes any similar quirks in this track's production seem slightly less impressive. The vocal stutters in this song sound weird, the guitar seems to be a bit too overpowering at certain points, and the even the piano seems to have been added as a random after-thought. It's a shame, as the vocal melody has some nice ideas and some catchy sections. This was still an enjoyable song, but I have high expectations from Hi-NRG Attack at the moment and I don't feel that they have been met with this song.

I'll review the other tracks soon.

EDIT: What better time than now I guess... :P

09 NEVER GONNA MAKE / RADIORAMA (Asia) [05:01]
This song has me in a bit of a quandry. The original version by Kate Project was a very important track for me as it was featured in my favourite arcade game ever - Dance Dance Revolution/DDR. It's quit apt, therefore, that a remake of this track should appear on a Super Eurobeat volume considering that is the same game that also introduced me to the glory of Eurobeat. The quandry I am in however is that I just don't really hear how this version improves the song in any way at all. The vocals are exactly the same as in the Kate Project version, so why that same alias wasn't retained for this version is a mystery. The synth sound used in the main hook is really bizarre, and makes no impact on me at all - it just sort of washes over me like a light rain shower (watery and a bit annoying, but nothing too significant). The song at the heart of this production is still fudamentally a great track - the vocal melodies are sweet and sincere to match the lyrics, and the harmonies from the backing singers round off things very nicely indeed. I guess I am just a bit gutted that Saifam couldn't give this song one of it's more lavish productions - of course, they are no longer in that zone in terms of production output (I'm talking about Hey Guy and the like), but I just feel that in this guise, the track just doesn't ever reach its full potential. Still, I can't help but have a soft spot for it, for old times sake if nothing else.

10 MEMORIES OF YOU / ORLANDO (Asia) [05:12]
Someone really needs to sack the person in charge of the track order for this album. Two slower Hi-NRG Attack tracks together, and now two Asia/Saifam remakes one after the other! Again, this track brings back a lot of memories for me, as I used to listen to the original Eurodance version loads when I was growing up. The vocals remain unchanged once again, and to be honest after the first 12 seconds of the intro, I thought this was going to be another lazy cut-and-paste job with altered beats and no real efforts on the synth production or arrangement. Thankfully I was proved wrong. The gradual build-up to the backing singers was awesome, and that synth hook - while maybe not the most powerful one I've ever heard - chimes through my speakers with a great sense of purpose and joyfullness. This one does still feel a bit more retro than the previous track, and I think it really works for this song. Nevertheless, the added guitars, modern Asia beats and effects and the backing singers add a brand-new shine to the track. I love the "la-la-la-la" parts - it's like a vocal hook to compliment the main synth hook! Because of the fact that this is a cover version of a track that I'm been so familiar with for years, I'll admit that it's hard to review it completely objectively with fresh ears, but having said that I still believe this to be a very high quality Saifam "aishu" track and I hope to hear more like this in the future.
Score: 8.75/10

11 EYES OF SKY / VIVI (SCP) [04:11]
It's perhaps no secret that Vivi has never really set my world on fire. Her debut, Just For Me, was a shameful attempt at a eurotrance crossover that just sounded generic and bland, and then we were subjected to the god-awful I Love My Dog - definitely one of the worst SCP songs to be released since I've been following the series (from SEB 156). So naturally, my guard is up to a certain degree with this song. If I take a step back, and try to forget who's singing the song, I could almost imagine that this is a Christine song. It has that kind of wispy and fairytale princess quality to it (from the sickly-sweet synth tone of the main hook, to the vocal melody and delivery). To be completely honest, I can't find a lot wrong with the song itself - it's pleasant, and would probably be received particularly well by pre-teen girls (not sure why I feel that, must by the fairy princess factor!!) By the end of the song, I feel like all of the ideas have kind of run out, as the song seems to repeat itself for the last 1 minute 30 seconds, which is odd considering the running time is just over 4 minutes in total. Taking off my old man scrooge hat for a moment, I will admit that it is Vivi's best song ever. But looking at the past efforts from her, I wouldn't really take that as a sign that I would actually give this many replays. It's just not my style.
Score: 7/10

12 MIND GAME / DREAM FIGHTERS (Dima Music) [04:43]
Track 3 from Dima on this album, and he saved the best till last. The pulsing, stabbing synth chords that mark the time through the intro set a very epic and tense atmosphere from the word go, and I imagine smoky back alleys and shady characters trying to evade capture. The guitars and orchestra hits come in, and then of course we are treated to an almost orgasmic classic Dima hook - Stardust had the same classic Vibration sound, and I'm overjoyed to hear that Dima is still producing tracks in this style. The chorus is probably my next favourite part of this track, as it has an awesome rise and fall (the vocal melody descends through the first line, rises slightly in the second line, falls a little in the third, and then rises to a climax in the fourth line). Dima has a real talent for writing extremely catchy and melodic hooks throughout all parts of his productions, and this track showcases them all. If I had to highlight one small thing that lets down this track in my eyes, it's that the chorus is repeated twice at the end instead of having the chorus and then a final burst of that awesome synth hook - that would have just been the icing on the cake for me. That said, I cannot fault this track for its melodic brilliance and that classic production style that made me fall in love with Dima's music in the first place. Great stuff!!
Score: 9.5/10

TOP 3:
THE MAGIC OF SUNSHINE / CIAO CIAO
QUEEN OF HEART / CORRADO
JUNGLE OF FIRE / LAURA VOX

HM:
MIND GAME / DREAM FIGHTERS

BOTTOM 3:
EYES OF SKY / VIVI
TELL ME WHY / RICH HARD
PRETTY WOMAN / FRANCIS COOPER

Overall, a fairly consistant album with a few shining standout tracks. The Magic of Sunshine will be towards the top of playlists for some time to come. :)

coolneko
Eurocurious

found her!

Post by coolneko » 05 Dec 2010, 20:44

as we were talking, i was bored...so i found her!!

like the rest of 200 covers..here she is! not the same but close.

seb 208: http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-4683579 ... floor.html
Coolneko aka Miko
I prefer either....go with your heart!

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 14 Dec 2010, 19:42

I believe I didn't review this and I'm pretty much late to the party.

01. "Tell Me Why" by Rich Hard (Sunfire)
This song's preview was screaming bull's eye but, it's one of those case where a full version can kill the expectation we had. In my case, that's the case. From the preview, it sounded dang good. But upon hearing it, it sounded otherwise. The intro is OK I guess and the synth hook is weird. What kind of save the song is the bridge and chorus. The rest is pretty average.

7/10

02. "Jungle Of Fire" by Laura Vox (Hi-NRG Attack)
Laura Vox on SEB. That is amazing in itself. A new song on top of that! I love non-pitched vocals from Hi-NRG Attack and this is probably the kind of entry I wanted to hear from Hi-NRG Attack since the beginning of the decade. The sounds and melody are catchy and well producted. The vocals are amazing. A great song all around.

10/10

03. "Invisible Touch" by Fastway (SCP)
Invisible, Invisible Touch! Those are the words you greeted upon in the intro which is pretty catchy. The synth hook is Hyper Techno sounding but that's only adding the epciness already present into the song. Overall, this song is a bag of well produced music and epicness. Too bad, it's that short.

CAN YOU FEEL THE INVISIBLE TOUCH?

10/10

04. "Awake" by Stephy (Dima)
The song starts slowly and then... ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz. Aishu... AISHU... OK, now, but seriously... that's really boring. The vocals are nice as always but the melodies isn't grabbing me at all. Way below par for a Stephy production. Much deceived.

5.5/10

05. "Queen Of Heart" by Corrado (Delta)
New vocalist GET! He sounds very good too. The song itself is energetic/aishu style (a mix of both). Or at least, the vocals gives me this impression. The riff is OK I guess, the melodies are nice. But, overall, it's not a bad song but it's not good either. Average.

7.5/10

06. "Crazy" by David Dima (Dima)
That intro sounds like a song we would hear on the ending credits. At least the intro, imo. The riff is pretty good, vocals are as always. Verses melodies are... original to say the least. Overall, I feel it's good but certainly not the best Dima can do. By far.

8.5/10

07. "The Magic Sunshine" by Ciao Ciao (Hi-NRG Attack)
Hey, I discovered a gem! Kinda. The intro is pretty amazing. The intro and the verse too. What destroy that song are the speed AND the chorus. I would certainly like that song better if it was 145-150BPM isntead of 128. It's not an Italo-disco compilation, it's a Eurobeat one.

Sped up : 9/10
Normal speed : 8/10

08. "Pretty Woman" by Francis Cooper (Hi-NRG Attack)
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring. At normal speed that is... Sped up it sound much better, though. Not a fav. though.

Normal : 4/10
150 BPM : 7.5/10

09. "Never Gonna Make" by Radiorama (Saifam/Asia)
That intro will totally throw off everybody that has the habit to listen to the original trance track. The riff is super weird too. But, the song is still pretty good and I even bought that song on Juno when they released it! But at least, the song as the merit of keeping the original vocals (only a bit sped up). That's why I like it even if it sound a bit weird.

9/10

10. "Memories Of You" by Orlando (Saifam/Asia)
When this one got out on Juno pretty much everyone thought it was pretty plain and I agree. In fact, I thought it was plain and boring and almost everyone followed. A good exemple of boringness is that the intro is building up and then release into a boring part just before going to the riff and then... the vocals and melodies are dreamy and boring. Good for those who loves Aishu over Speed. Not for me.

6/10

11. "Eyes Of Sky" by Vivi (SCP)
The better song since "Just For Me". Maybe it's because there is a hint of it in the melodies? Anyway, this song is not bad at all. The melodies are nice and quite fitting with Vivi. Pretty good song overall.

8.5/10

12. "Mind Game" by Dream Fighters/David Dima (Dima)
The intro is quite epic. The song itself is pretty good and it's what produce the best, I think. Preference wise, I think it's a pretty good song. I like the intro and the riff the best.

8.5/10

13. "EZ Do Dance (Morris Capaldi Versus TRF Remix)" by TRF
I'll cut this short. This might be the BEST J-Euro remix EVER and one of the best song on the album! Breakdown! ...I mean hands down.

10/10

14. "Melody (Ballade Mix)" by Nagisa.
No, just no. Out of place.

4/10

Best 3 :
Invisible Touch
EZ Do Dance Remix
Jungle Of Fire

HM :
Never Gonna Make

Bottom 3:
Melody
Awake
Pretty Woman

OVERALL : 7.5
Last edited by Lebon14 on 14 Dec 2010, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 14 Dec 2010, 20:04

Speeding up The Magic of Sunshine just makes it sound ridiculous and ruins the impact of the awesome production and melodies. On the other hand, speeding up Pretty Woman actually improves it in certain ways...

But yeah, I'm all for leaving these tracks at the original speeds just as the writers intended. :)

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 15 Dec 2010, 04:58

hmm.. I wonder if Avex will speed them up for the nonstops? I like them just the way they are too. 8)

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 15 Dec 2010, 06:10

drnrg wrote:hmm.. I wonder if Avex will speed them up for the nonstops? I like them just the way they are too. 8)
I'm pretty sure that they will bump a 128BPM song to 162BPM just for the kicks. And, it'll sound horrible... just like I'm Alive by Jay Lehr.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 15 Dec 2010, 06:22

I never bothered with buying non-stop SEB anyway, since for me it was a one to save money and skip on and wait for a normal one to come next..

Why buy horribly butchered cuts which are unnecessarily sped up ..?..

I'm alive by JL had an amazing classic 80-sh sound, it is a shame the song is not as strong melodically to match up to that..