Fast or Slow?

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.

Do you prefer faster or slower Eurobeat?

Chill mellow Eurobeat is cool once in a while, but bring on the Speed!
81%
Speedy Eurobeat is for crazy paralists, give me my lower BPMs.
19%

Total votes: 21

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 04 Dec 2010, 03:18

Megan188 wrote:
Bonkers wrote:What era of SEB was in the 160-170 bpm range, cause that's verging on Happy Hardcore's tempo.
Really, the genre's never gotten that fast. It gradually increased in tempo as it evolved throughout the early-to-mid 90's but hasn't changed much since. The closest to the 160-170 range you can really get is the early Euromach era, especially Euromach 1, in which most of the songs are sped up a bit, some of them clocking over 160, which is generally the fastest a "normal" eurobeat song gets. Keep in mind that this is nonstop format, though.
I own Euromach 4 & 5, and I will say 5 is more higher in the BPM's than 4 is. I like the tempo in Vol.5.

thejti
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by thejti » 04 Dec 2010, 05:19

I would say the fastest era for Eurobeat was from 2004-2007. Saifam had songs above 160 and producers (like Newfield) had songs that reached the 170 bpm range. Noteworthy songs above 160 bpm were

Burning Up The Night
Chemical Love
Spiderman
Midnight Love
Stop City Lover Can't You Break My Style?

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 04 Dec 2010, 08:49

Bonkers
I own Euromach 4 & 5, and I will say 5 is more higher in the BPM's than 4 is. I like the tempo in Vol.5.
I wouldn't exactly take into concideration that series. You do know that the songs were purposely speeded up for Euromach, right? Infact nonstops usually speed up the songs to be able to be mixed with one another. I can name countless vols when Dark In The Night was sped up.

Now what thejti said is tru however. Rebell Yell and Burning Up The Night do reach that 170's and those are thier intended bpms

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 05 Dec 2010, 03:49

drnrg wrote:Bonkers
I wouldn't exactly take into concideration that series. You do know that the songs were purposely speeded up for Euromach, right? Infact nonstops usually speed up the songs to be able to be mixed with one another. I can name countless vols when Dark In The Night was sped up.

Now what thejti said is tru however. Rebell Yell and Burning Up The Night do reach that 170's and those are thier intended bpms
I wasn't sure if the Euromach/SEB cds were mixed so that the entire mix kept a consistant tempo. I DO KNOW that's the general idea of a non-stop mix, but there are some cds I own that say "non-stop mix", but all the BPM's are different.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 05 Dec 2010, 05:04

Bonkers
I wasn't sure if the Euromach/SEB cds were mixed so that the entire mix kept a consistant tempo. I DO KNOW that's the general idea of a non-stop mix, but there are some cds I own that say "non-stop mix", but all the BPM's are different.
The old school way of mixing was to generally keep the songs at the same tempo so they gradually morph together during the breaks
, but ever since Eurobeat BPMs leaped about 20 or so notches, the "cut and paste" method has been used at during intervals of the song, in order for them to mix effectively. Thewre is still a way to mix the new Eurobeat effectively without using this method , but that's in next week's lesson:P

If you notice it's virtually impossible to mix Dark In The Night with the Eurobeat style of 2000s, but still they add them to the best of vols, because its such a classic. They almost always do this by mixing it with a slower song and keep adding songs that gradually go up in speed untill they reach the super fast era of the 2000s. I mean try mixing Dark In The Night with Night Of Fire and you'll see that you'll either have to speed one up or slow the other to a point where it just doesn't sound right.

Anyway, if you like to ;now and then mix your old Eurobeat vinyls, then you'll know what I'm talking about?, but yeah, Euromach and SEB mix vols are always faster than your average SEB

The best thing about Hi Energy/Eurobeat is that fast or slow, it never loses it's melody and the songs from thier respective eras sound just right at the bpms they are meant to be.

thejti
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by thejti » 05 Dec 2010, 22:11

drnrg wrote:Bonkers
The old school way of mixing was to generally keep the songs at the same tempo so they gradually morph together during the breaks
, but ever since Eurobeat BPMs leaped about 20 or so notches, the "cut and paste" method has been used at during intervals of the song, in order for them to mix effectively. Thewre is still a way to mix the new Eurobeat effectively without using this method , but that's in next week's lesson:P

If you notice it's virtually impossible to mix Dark In The Night with the Eurobeat style of 2000s, but still they add them to the best of vols, because its such a classic. They almost always do this by mixing it with a slower song and keep adding songs that gradually go up in speed untill they reach the super fast era of the 2000s. I mean try mixing Dark In The Night with Night Of Fire and you'll see that you'll either have to speed one up or slow the other to a point where it just doesn't sound right.

Anyway, if you like to ;now and then mix your old Eurobeat vinyls, then you'll know what I'm talking about?, but yeah, Euromach and SEB mix vols are always faster than your average SEB

The best thing about Hi Energy/Eurobeat is that fast or slow, it never loses it's melody and the songs from thier respective eras sound just right at the bpms they are meant to be.
That's what I hate about a lot of these non-stop mixes; they change the speed of the songs which ends up pitching them up too much. What I wish all producers would do too with their extended mixes is add a section of the song that just has the beat so that you can transition songs using the typical method instead of the cut-and-paste method which is so done to death. You end up hearing the same transitions from non-stop to non-stop.
Stop City Lover Can't You Break My Style?

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 06 Dec 2010, 14:11

thejti
That's what I hate about a lot of these non-stop mixes; they change the speed of the songs which ends up pitching them up too much. What I wish all producers would do too with their extended mixes is add a section of the song that just has the beat so that you can transition songs using the typical method instead of the cut-and-paste method which is so done to death. You end up hearing the same transitions from non-stop to non-stop.
Exactly...and not only that, but that's probly why TIME decided to remake alot of thier own classics to compenaste with the higher bpms of the new Eurobeat. Lonely Night, Heartbreaker, Para Para Night and most definately Dark In The Night. Saifam also did it with a few of thier classics. I'm not too sure if ABeatC has done it too? and like you mentioned, that's exactly why the breaks are crucial for mixing.

pokecapn
Eurobeat Boom

Post by pokecapn » 13 Dec 2010, 22:24

drnrg wrote:The old school way of mixing was to generally keep the songs at the same tempo so they gradually morph together during the breaks
, but ever since Eurobeat BPMs leaped about 20 or so notches, the "cut and paste" method has been used at during intervals of the song, in order for them to mix effectively.
It's not because the BPMs have increased, it's because all the labels gave up on the "club-style" intros and outros for each song. Plenty of music 150BPM and up can be mixed by beat-matching and crossfading.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 14 Dec 2010, 10:03

pokecapn
It's not because the BPMs have increased, it's because all the labels gave up on the "club-style" intros and outros for each song. Plenty of music 150BPM and up can be mixed by beat-matching and crossfading.
the last vinyls I got were songs like Go Johnny Go, Dance In The Fire and Like A hero. Those songs were pretty fast and very mixable, but they also had some decent breaks and intros to go along with so you didn't have to mix them in so fast and could still enjoy a nice transition.

If labels like HRG Attack ,DELTA and Eurogrooves were still releasing vinyl; I believe thier songs could still be mixed in old school style, becasue most of thier songs still contain great intros and mid breaks.

Phil Jay Falcon

Re: Fast or Slow?

Post by Phil Jay Falcon » 27 Apr 2019, 21:43

Hmm, fast or slow?

Well...., I like it hard! :wink:

Ehm, that was not meant in a sexual sense. I mean the beats must be hard. What you think again.... :D

But actually, it's Eurobeat. And Eurobeat ist fast. Makes sense, right? So I love it, when the rhythm and the beats are fast. Because with the speed comes the hype and the "hype" makes it worth it. Just hear for example Mark Farina's "Last of Eurobeat" or Go 2's "Spitfire" or better "Burning up the night (total fire)" from "2 Fast"!

But of course, there are some exceptions, too. In my playlist there are not only fast and loud tracks, there are also some songs, that have a temperate speed. Only the rhythm has to be right.