Super Eurobeat 215

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 25 May 2011, 11:03

Cheesiness (melodic bubble gum) is off the center in the new female aliases... :???:

Traditional SEBs used to give their songs a lasting impact because they had a melancholic edge even in the upbeat female tunes...

When they made melodies like trance in the 170-180-s it also worked great because songs were with a strong melancholic edge. Pamsy tunes were a prime example of this..(Pamsy of 170-180-s was a huge success)...

Current trend of new aliases with sacharine oversweet melodies is sort of a worm in an apple...It's like giving eurobeat tunes a makeover of ill fated SAIFAM junk bubble dance, and SAIFAM had a significant drop in their sales right around the time they overpushed that style.

Girl tunes deserve as much right to be smart and deep (and to create a melancholic feeling along with an energy) as the macho's...

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 25 May 2011, 19:46

Slightly more in-depth thoughts after listening to the samples a few more times:

POWER TWO / HOTBLADE
I actually really like the sound of this one as it has a slightly more retro SCP sound (we're talking around the 160's to 180's period as a wide approximation). The synth accents after every "Power Two" and the overall soundscape make me think of a more classic Ace or Fastway style song, which can only be a good thing.
:grin:

NO TURNING BACK / TORA
As I've said already, there is a great sense of deja-vu with this track as for me, it borrows heavily and is clearly influenced by recent Irene/Yo Shine tracks from SCP. I keep hearing snippets of Power Of My Love when I hear this vocal melody. I will probably be pleasantly surprised by this one because of the similarities to that style, and it's great to hear Sinclaire letting his female vocalists sound less echoey!
:grin: > :)

SKYLIGHT / DAVE RODGERS
Seriously Dave/Sunfire/anyone that will listen - find some better bass sounds!! Again, I am way too distracted by the over-powering tone that it has in comparison to the rest of the song. The melody is nothing spectacular and it ends up sounding like a fairly standard Dave Rodgers effort. Slower than I expected and needs a bit more energy.
:|

MAXIMISIN / ALIX
This one has a really quirky, happy-go-lucky feel to it that grabs me as being fairly unique. The vocals are very youthful and full of life, and I enjoy this new sound. I'm not too sure of the "woooooahh" section - it seems to signal a nosedive in the energy levels, but I'm curious to hear more!
:)

ARE YOU READY TO FLY / DREAM FIGHTERS
These lyrics don't exactly push the boundaries - in fact, they end up sounding quite rushed and arbitrary, like they were an after-thought. I like the tone of the melody, but there is something key missing that I can't quite put my finger on. Hook sounds interesting...
:| > :)

LOVE IS LIKE A RAIN / DELTA QUEENS feat. PAUL HARRIS
This sounds like a fairly standard aishu ballad, which sadly doesn't exactly excite me. There is no real hook or energetic kick that makes me want to listen again, and it all just sounds "nice". I had hoped for a bit more from these aliases to be honest...
:| > :(

MECHA FIREBALL / JEFF DRILLER
This is the kind of song that Hi-NRG Attack used to churn out album after album with little to no variation, so it's hard to look at the song objectively without thinking that we are back at square one again after all of the progressive variations in sound since the 200's. I do think this one will be pleasant to listen to, but it will not be the most amazing song the label has ever produced and will probably fade away pretty quickly.
:) > :|

TIME OF FIGHTERS / LUKE
This one clearly has the epic-o-meter turned up to the max. The melody and delivery is very flamboyant and over-the-top, which can work vocalist and production. But for me, their is a mis-match between the attitude the song is trying to portray (a deeper, raspier tone is required) and the actual sound that is created (which sounds a bit too happy).

I'LL FLY / CANDY MORE
The vocals hear are very-much to the forefront, perhaps a little too much for my ears (they sound a little loud over the track sometimes). Again, Go-Go's try to employ some interesting melodic progressions but I'm not quite feeling that the vocals really captured the spirit as well as Elena Gobbi does. Has potential.
:) > :|

DANCIN' TOGETHER / CHRISTINE
This sounds a bit old-school from SCP as well, especially that main synth sound that is used. This is a half-way house between Christine's older style tracks (such as "Yeah!") and the more bubblegum style tracks from the likes of Kiki & Fancy. It's no secret that I've never been this vocalists strongest supporter, so I'll need to hear the rest of the song to know if it's a "player" or a "grater".

SHALAKA BOOM / BORIS
Luke has had a few too many vodkas and has taken a surprise trip to Russia! If Hi-NRG Attack invaded Delta's studios for the day, I'm pretty sure that this would be the result. It's silly, but it's catchy and it should be a cool song to play a few times. Lasting appeal? Remains to be seen...

BEAUTIFUL BOY / HEATHER
I hate the vocals. They sound so prissy and not suited to Dima's style at all. The melody doesn't really do very much for me either, and I find myself switching off because of the irritating tone of the vocals about halfway through. The hook showed promise, but a hook is nothing without a good supporting act from a good vocalist.
:(

TOWER OF LOVE / CINDY & CY-RO
The vocal melody in this track sounds a bit like Dave & Nuage's old style to my ears, and it's nice to hear Hi-NRG Attack attempt a duet. I'm not sure that they quite know what to do to pull it off and things come off sounding a little hap-hazard like a "pass-the-microphone" game. Unsure...

SUNRISE (YOU'LL ALWAYS BE ALIVE) / DAVID DIMA
Thank you Dima!! You and Hotblade have rescued this album from a terrible fate of mediocrity!! This track is lyrically and melodically excellent, and seems to be a bit more rocky in the beats and instrumentation. I wanted another track like "Somebody to Love", and Dima may just have delievered something as special in this track. Can't wait to hear it in full!
:grin:

DOCTOR DOCTOR (Healing) / LISA JOHNSON
Meh, don't really care. The vocals always annoyed me with their "Doctor, Doctor, give me a medi-sign" and once again, it seems the concept of the healing remix is mis-used on a track should never be as slow or chilled.

Overall, a fairly disappointing bunch with only a few stars so far. On the whole, I got the impression that for the majority of the album, the labels were asked to provide "variations on a theme", as so many of these tracks seems to have a similar atmosphere and melodic basis to them. Not many new potential classics from this album from what I can hear in these samples, but I guess we'll see when the full album is released.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 26 May 2011, 10:11

Am I the only one who is loving almost all these samples? definately 100x better than 214 that's for sure.

Like always the highest ranking smiley is the one with shades. ..and there are quite a few.

01 HOTBLADE / POWER TWO (SCP)
Hotblade Always deliver. This is the SCP I really love! Very NRGetic chorus.
8)

02 TORA / NO TURNING BACK (SinclaireStyle)
Not a bad sounding clip for a Tora song, but nowhere near the Power of the last Eurodudes song on vol. 214

03 DAVE RODGERS / SKYLIGHT (SunFire) -
I get the "Dancing In The Starlight" feel form this song and Dave sounds great. I am one of the few who will like this song, however ,the levels on the soundworlds sound a tad to "Loud" for a song of this nature.
:D

04 ALIX / MAXMISIN' (SCP)
Surprising pleasant to my ears. I like the "Let It Go" part. Has the vibe of a Momo song, which I have been enjoying lately.

05 DREAM FIGHTERS / ARE YOU READY TO FLY (Dima Music)
Hot damn! This clip is putting in me in a perfect Eurobeat zone. Sounds like Dima's style back at TIME when he sang under Robert Patton and Lou Grant.
8)

06 DELTA QUEENS / LOVE IS LIKE A RAIN (Delta)
I gots to agree with most of you here. I really expected this clip to be much better. You can hear Paul, but he is too much in the backround. Still hoping for the verses to be sung in traditional duet style, but I might be expecting too much. I'm undecided with this clip.

07 JEFF DRILLER / MECHA FIREBALL (Hi-NRG Attack)
This one will get the royal treatment on my palyer. Fast traditional Eurobeat melody and We get Festari doing duel vocals in the chorus.
Somewhere in Italy, Festari and the gang are composing songs just for me. :D
8)

08 LUKE / TIME OF FIGHTERS (Delta)
Luka T sounds a bit different here, but I really like the different melody in the chorus. The part where he sings "Go On" gives the clip a just enuff push to give it the sing along effect. Hoping for a great intro too.
8)

09 CANDY MORE / I'LL FLY (Go-Go's Music)
Vocals sound pleasant to my ears. I like that little turnabout in the chorus and the way the riff invades its territory gives the feel that this song will work out nice in extended form.

10 CHRISTINE / DANCIN' TOGHETHER (SCP)
This is the one clip that really throws me off. Sesame Street all over again. I seldom like clips with a childish vibe. I say I won't be doing too much dancing here and I expect some kiddi shoutous somewhere in there will annoy me even further.

11 BORIS / SHALAKA BOOM (Delta)
OOOWEEE! I love new Eurobeat artists. Could it be Corrado singing in lower octave? Anyway,Classic Italo melody in that riff. Easily could be my favourit of the bunch and its no surprise since almost anything with the word boom in it tickles my fancy. I'll play the hell out of this clip before I get the actual cd.
8) 8)

12 HEATHER / BEAUTIFUL BOY (Dima Music)
Another new Eurobeat artist. i love that! Dima sounding a bit like GGMs, except stronger soundworlds. It has a very uplifting melody. I think I'm gonna like it.

13 CINDY & CY-RO / TOWER OF LOVE (Hi-NRG Attack)
Wow! what different sound for HRG Attack. Kinda has a Sinclaire feel to the melody but with HRG Attack soundworlds. This one sounds very exciting and fast. I love the repitions of "..tower of Love" by Festari.
8)

14 DAVID DIMA / SUNRISE (Dima Music)
The one sole Italo style song. This one has epic written all over it. Damn ! I just know I'm gonna love this song like I did Manuel's "All Is Magic!
8)

15 DOCTOR DOCTOR (Healing) / LISA JOHNSON
See what they did here? Doctor Doctor-Healing. I'm not impressed at all.

I think I'm gonna love this cd on variuos levels. A lot of different style in the melodies. 8 smileys with shades! need this cd A.S.A.P

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 26 May 2011, 18:59

Top Tunes on SEB 215:

DELTA QUEENS / LOVE IS LIKE A RAIN (Delta)

CINDY & CY-RO / TOWER OF LOVE (Hi-Nrg Attack)

DAVID DIMA / SUNRISE (Dima Music)

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 26 May 2011, 22:06

My preview ratings:

1) POWER TWO by Hotblade: Solid, pure Eurobeat. Not the most stellar arrangement (and it seems that SCP is really toning down the 16th notes in their synth riffs these days D: ), but definitely a good song.
2) NO TURNING BACK by Tora: Slower Sinclaire slashes his serial singer-in-tunnel syndrome. Synths siphon bits of Passport. Silliness has been shunned to support serious strong synths. Seriously. In other news, alliteration is fun! :3
3) SKYLIGHT by Dave Rodgers: Rodgers is straining vocally here... a bit too bassy for my taste. I'm always one for experimenting, but... this one doesn't sound like it's working. A mind-blowing synth riff may change my mind, or so I hope!
4) MAXIMISIN' by Alix: Should've been called "Let It Go". Vocalist could make a slaughtering in American Pop, which obviously has a large influence here. Can't hear the riff so can't judge that.
5) ARE YOU READY TO FLY by Dream Fighters: Dima sounds unexcited somehow. Lyrics also sound unexcited. Riff sounds like typical (excellent) Dima fare from what I could hear, but... it's just not 'clicking' for me.
6) LOVE IS LIKE A RAIN by Delta Queens: LOWVE ≠ LOVE. Ballad-style composition meets occasionally-flat vocals. Riff sounds like it'll be good but the chorus just doesn't excite me.
7) MECHA FIREBALL by Jeff Driller: I'M IN LOVE! Hi-NRG Attack got its energy back! While Mr. Rimonti isn't at 100% of his former vocals, he still sounds pretty good here, and that riff... THAT RIFF! <3 Not my favorite sound choice but it's at least CATCHY and still has those 16th notes around~!
8 ) TIME OF FIGHTERS by Luke: Should have been faster. Luke is trying, and he's awfully close, but... it just doesn't have the energy it needs.
9) I'LL FLY by Candy More: No. Just no. It doesn't work for me at all. It should. It just rubs the wrong way on me in every possible facet. It may be a good song, but I just can't take it.
10) DANCIN' TOGETHER by Christine: Old-school Eurobeat is a welcome sight from SCP, proof that they're not so steeped in Top 40 Radio that they can't write "Eurobeat-y" Eurobeat anymore. I like it. It's not my usual cup of tea and it's not the best Christine production they've done but it's a good one for sure.
11) SHALAKA BOOM by Boris: Why do all the vocalists sound bored? Riff sounds good, but...? It lacks something, energy I think.
12) BEAUTIFUL BOY by Heather: Sort of like old-sch-- wait. Is this Judy Crystal?!? Voice sounds familiar. Well, the song doesn't glow much for me, but the rediscovery of a classic vocalist would be worth the listen!
13) TOWER OF LOVE by Cindy & Cy-Ro: It sounds like they took a non-Eurobeat ballad and remixed it. It's not BAD per se, just a bit unusual. Once I hear the synth riff I'll have a better sense. Cool attempt, I must say! Just not sure if it's my cup of tea.
14) SUNRISE by David Dima: Uh, what? It doesn't sound bad by any means, it just sounds like Dima's singing over an artificially slowed-down Eurobeat track. It's good, but... why... can't... we... hear... the original version?!?

SO FAR: Not diggin' it. Hi-NRG is coming back strong, where Delta is taking a surprising turn towards the less-than-enthusiastic, setting the mood for much of the rest of the album. So many of the vocalists seem to sound like they just don't want to be there anymore.

LOOKING FORWARD TO:
POWER TWO
NO TURNING BACK
MECHA FIREBALL
DANCIN' TOGETHER
TOWER OF LOVE
SUNRISE (when they make the full-BPM version)

Here's hoping 117 is a bit more joyous. With any luck I'll be there to help~
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 26 May 2011, 22:19

Sunrise is actually a pretty slow track Travis :P If you speed it up manually in Audacity it sounds kinda weird. By the way I was kinda suprised by BEAUTIFUL BOY, I think it's Sarah who is singing this track. It's not Judy Crystal I'm sure of that, she lives quite far away from the studios in Italy so that's not possible.

I like the pop influences in some tracks of this album, also the comeback of the old HRG style is pretty good imo. I enjoyed both samples.

taQ
Eurobeat Master

Post by taQ » 27 May 2011, 02:31

Heather is Sara (original madison/pizza girl, baby energy etc)

Shinraikan
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Shinraikan » 27 May 2011, 04:22

I'm actually looking forward to the Sinclaire track and I usually am not a huge fan of his stuff. I have to agree with the "singer-in-tunnel" view, there's just something about that that bugs me and a lot of his songs end up sounding like they were recorded in a tunnel surrounded by steel.

Also, no Speed on a eurobeat album for once. Hoodathunk?

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 28 May 2011, 03:31

Snatched up the 3 SCP tracks from iTunes today and thought I could review them each:

Maximisin' (SCP Eurobeat Mix)/ A-lix (9.5/10)
WOW. Just WOW is how much I really appreciate SCP integrating pop influences into its productions nowadays. One one side we have Jager (emo-beat) and the other we have Alix who seems to blend traditional eurobeat with pop/club soundworlds. In terms of vocals, I can't help but feel this very much could be a Christine song...maybe the vocals sound a bit like her. My favorite parts of the song would be the intro before the main synths and the bridge before the chorus where the vocals are either layered or repeated, reflecting against each other. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is that some of the chorus seems to drag down, energy-wise, but other than that, a wonderful track from SCP.

J.Bravest
Euro To B

Post by J.Bravest » 28 May 2011, 13:05

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 28 May 2011, 14:59

What's that?

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 28 May 2011, 15:29

DOCTOR DOCTOR (70&80 EUROGROOVES MIX) / LISA JOHNSON

Interesting... is this like what they did with the Jager bonus mixes at the end of 211 (I think) where they had two remixes as one physical track?

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 28 May 2011, 19:32

Hidden samples... :o

p.s.

@LeBon - AFK single is out in Germany, album will be out on 10-th of June.

http://www.amazon.de/Two/dp/B0051Z3VUU/ref=mb_oe_o

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 29 May 2011, 05:39

the_ditz
DOCTOR DOCTOR (70&80 EUROGROOVES MIX) / LISA JOHNSON

Interesting... is this like what they did with the Jager bonus mixes at the end of 211 (I think) where they had two remixes as one physical track?
They(Eurogrooves) also did a second remix of The Ding A Ling (healing version) and called it Electro Pop. It's actually pretty good.

That Doctor Doctor remix is a hell of a lot more interesting than the healing version. Looking forward to that one.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 30 May 2011, 03:20

Are You Ready To Fly Para Para
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTVPuIljKV
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!