Super Eurobeat 217

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 20 Aug 2011, 23:09

Vadim wrote:
I reckon that Aleky maybe just hasn't had the time recently to record as many songs. She recorded Little Twin Stars for the Sanrio compilation, so that may be featured on 218 too...
Yes, this fantastic tune will be on SEB 218. Let's hope DM will get their females in position and get the hit factory going again with the right style.
I don't know who confirmed this track for SEB 218, but I do know that I didn't. Yes and I do really agree with you that this is a fantastic tune.

Regarding the Sally track, all tracks by Heater/Sally and other former Hi-Site artists are written by Ravenant (A. Gilardi).. Davide, nor I have much influence on it, except cancelling the track when we think it's not good enough. I'm telling you this because I have the feeling you guys think that Davide is 100% responsible 100% for all tracks, but that's not the way it is.... some tracks are written by A. Gilardi, some are (co-)written by (Davide.

I agree with most of the things you guys say though about some specific Dima Music tracks and I would like to implement changes as soon as possible, but these will not be notable anymore before the next SEB release. Beside being a eurobeat label crew member, i'm also a Eurobeat fan and I definitely know when songs are hits and when they're not. But always keep in mind that the labels are usually under huge pressure because they have to make all of their tracks within one month and there's not a single label that can create hits only. With Dima Music's Thai studio fully operational again I hope we can feed the Eurobeat hunger amongst the Eurobeat fans again. But only time, will tell.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 21 Aug 2011, 04:38

DarkSky
Regarding the Sally track, all tracks by Heater/Sally and other former Hi-Site artists are written by Ravenant (A. Gilardi).. Davide, nor I have much influence on it, except cancelling the track when we think it's not good enough. I'm telling you this because I have the feeling you guys think that Davide is 100% responsible 100% for all tracks, but that's not the way it is.... some tracks are written by A. Gilardi, some are (co-)written by (Davide.
I remeber you mentioning that. Gilardi was responsible for quite a few material on that Euro Panic series wasn't he. Jimmy Diamond right? Anyway, it does now make perfect sense how those current female tracks are missing that Dima epicness.

BTW, thanks Ditz. A good compliment is always appreciated. More to come soon.

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 21 Aug 2011, 21:46

I remeber you mentioning that. Gilardi was responsible for quite a few material on that Euro Panic series wasn't he. Jimmy Diamond right? Anyway, it does now make perfect sense how those current female tracks are missing that Dima epicness.
Ravenant made or helped to make a great number of awesome SEB tracks in more distant past...back in those days it was a real Aishu Eurobeat..Sara *burning up for you* comes to mind... I like that song a lot.

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MAtRiCks » 21 Aug 2011, 22:57

Yup, the man wrote some of the best tracks to have featured on Delta in their years at the top. Show some faith people!

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 22 Aug 2011, 01:58

MAtRiCks wrote:Yup, the man wrote some of the best tracks to have featured on Delta in their years at the top. Show some faith people!
When first I listen to a real stuff like Burning Up For You, and then switch to listen to that Drunken Aishu Style of Sally/Heather/Candy More/whatever, it just pisses me off that they produced that new crap instead of real Aishu masterpieces like in the Golden Days.

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MAtRiCks » 22 Aug 2011, 02:26

Vadim wrote:
MAtRiCks wrote:Yup, the man wrote some of the best tracks to have featured on Delta in their years at the top. Show some faith people!
When first I listen to a real stuff like Burning Up For You, and then switch to listen to that Drunken Aishu Style of Sally/Heather/Candy More/whatever, it just pisses me off that they produced that new crap instead of real Aishu masterpieces like in the Golden Days.
The Golden Days are unfortunately behind us :(

Dima doesn't sound like he did on the europanic series and hi-nrg attack sure as hell don't sound like they did on eurobeat flash or euromach. scp don't have that euromach quirkiness quite as much anymore either. both SunFire and GoGo's are miles away from the golden days of A-Beat-C, and I feel the same way about all the dismantled pieces of Delta. Let's just not mention saifam and time/eurogrooves, please.

TIMEs change, not always for the best, but we have to take what's coming and appreciate it while it lasts!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 22 Aug 2011, 08:00

MAtRiCks
The Golden Days are unfortunately behind us

Dima doesn't sound like he did on the europanic series and hi-nrg attack sure as hell don't sound like they did on eurobeat flash or euromach. scp don't have that euromach quirkiness quite as much anymore either. both SunFire and GoGo's are miles away from the golden days of A-Beat-C, and I feel the same way about all the dismantled pieces of Delta. Let's just not mention saifam and time/eurogrooves, please.

TIMEs change, not always for the best, but we have to take what's coming and appreciate it while it lasts!
Terrible comment and completely false. I ; for one ,don't share that way of thinking at all and I've been with Eurobeat from the start.True that we no longer have Vinyls nor the parapara craze to boost Eurobeat sales, but the producers are still creating great and memorable Eurobeat. You base your comment on those older compilations and nonstops cuz the japanese made them famouse? .I don't need the Japanese to tell me what's going to ba a hit and what's not? Who are they anyway to pick the classics? IMOP, Night Of Fire wasn't all they cracked it up to be. I make my own assumptions from what I like and hear.Sure it's your own personal opinion, but Your words, especially that last statement is what I concider 100% pessimistic and don't say you are being honest, cuz if that's what you tryly beleive, then you are just listening with your ears and not your heart.

with that I will continue second part of my review.

5.) Lou Master- Up & Dance Up & Go (SCP)
Up next is SCP’s second showing on the disc. I must say that on this volume SCP has had the strongest showing. Again; I am taking into consideration the Extended version of the song as it appears on ITunes downloads and completely erasing the SEB edit from my memory. For their second showing; SCP introduces us to a new promising artist. I have read various comments comparing; not only the artist name of Lou Master, but also the style of the song to TIME/Eurogrooves. In Fact; Gino Caria, as Lou Grant had a similar hit with the classic, “Take Me up & down”. A song; that is forever etched in my mind, as one of the best TIME extendeds of that era. For the most part; I agree with the Eurogroove comparisons, but in the end, A Dall Ora extended version would have been much more exiting. With that out of the way; I begin my review of Lou Master- “Up & Dance Up & Go”. The song is definitely one of the best SCP songs I’ve heard this year, but the whole structure of the song; for some unexplained reason, has already begun to grow tiring to my ears. Perhaps, cuz I’ve overplayed it or even cuz, I made my own extended out of the original edit? Whatever the reason; it seems I tried doing so much with this song, that I have now even begun to skip it. I still get the strong urge to sing along and stomp my feet whenever I hear it, but its replay value is not as high; as say, “Disconnected” or “The Top”. It has a great intro. Adrenalized, pulsing, synths, with about as much power found in a Eurogrooves intro; but much too short to really get me anticipated for the riff. The melody is catchy enough, but I also get the feel that the verses go by too quickly. The chorus; powerful as a chorus can be is also very predictable. About the one thing that I can safely praise is Lou’s vocals. I certainly hope to hear more of him in the future. His Aggressive style is a fuse between Christian De Leo and Luka Torchianni and with a bit of Fastway hype to it. A Really incredible combination of vocal tones that I wished had been used for a song with more depth to it. I understand that this was probably the quickest way to introduce Lou to the Eurobeat world as an aggressive new comer, but all things considered; Fastway could have performed this song as well. I won’t get too much into the break, because it sort of lacks imagination. It’s just a reverb or whatever of the drums. What I did absolutely love, was the way the instrumental part is introduced right after. It’s the instrumental part of the bridge coupled perfectly with that third verse. I still think that third verse is wasted with pure “gogos” and “Ddance”. I think it might have worked better with “Gogos” in the first part and then lyrics in the second part, but that’s my opinion. Taking everything into account and when comparing this extended to Hotblades; I find that “Up & Dance, Up & Go” might actually be more effective as an edit. I’m still 100% for the extended, but I get a feel this song could have been much more interesting in the intro and break. It’s odd, but this is the kind of Eurobeat that usually blows my mind and I’m seriously wondering if anyone else is getting this overkill effect from this song that I’m starting to get? Either way; it’s still a great song with amazing vocals, but for me to rate it a 10, would now be meaningless, since I consider other songs on this compilation to be much better. Perhaps Lou Master is one of those artists that will get better with each new song? That really gets me excited for any new material from him in the near future. For now, I’ll just dance Up & Down.
9/10

6. Typsy & Typsy- Dance Boom Boom (Saifam)
How do you ruin a totally decent Eurobeat song? Ask Saifam. They seem to be experts on that. I’m talking about Typsy & Typsy’s new song. As Jay mentioned; this song has a rather charming intro, also reminding me of Mela’s “Sandy”. The whole vibe of the song is very uplifting and takes me back to Boom Boom Beat’s early years. It’s bouncy, happy and you can’t help but to feel like you’re in a TIME machine back to the Euromach days. Everything spells Hit for Saifam, and then they go ahead and throw a wrench into the whole structure of the song. Everyone knows what I’m speaking of? The case in question here is, what possessed Saifam to bring back “Rasta Man”? I dare say that he was the reason I hated all those want to be housy deals from the 90’s. Bands like Real McCoy and the like. How cheesy and aweful an idea. Why do you wanna sound like you are Jamaican when your music is clearly from Italy? Who asks for this? Avex? Is “Rasta Man” the new mode is Japan? This song would have been much more effective if Mario Farina had actually taken the mic and did some rapping like on “Just a Game” from Vanessa. Even the style used in Sabrina’s “Boys” would have been better, but these Jamaican tones are out. The worst part is that “Rasta Man” is all over the break and about 80% of the song, so that makes it almost unlistenable to my ears. I really think it’s TIME for Saifam to really take a good look at themselves and get back in the game. It almost seems like they are getting back at AVEX for some past grudge. I don’t know, but please, I’d rather they showcase a terrible song, than a good song that is ruined with “Played out” ideas… And with that, I’ll press the skip button whenever this song begins.
-6/10(no vinyl cover 4U)

I mispelled the name Nikita Jr. on purpose.

7.) Nikita Jr.- Touch Me (HRG Attack)
Wow! There are really a lot of different styles on this cd to keep us out of our comfort zone. Fortunately the retro Italo rebirth style of HRG Attack is one I admire tremendously. In my ears, the label has their Italo perfected. I hear different melodies in all their songs of this style. Lately; the female sung songs, sound like they have been heavily influenced by the SAW style of the 80s. This is probably the number one reason that I warmed to the style of the newest songs from Ciao Ciao and Michelle Rose. This song continues my gage on hot, but just to get it out of the way; I’m a little confused by the selection of the Nikita Jr. Alias? I’ve always considered her title to be more effective for the more “Happy” style songs. Furthermore; HRG Attack uses the effect that sounds like two girls are singing, which is better sounding when Ciao Ciao sings a song. They have Doll Sisters, HRG United, and a few other aliases they could’ve used. There is another side to this and I believe that HRG want to introduce new sides to their more wacky performers? They did the same with Joe D. Toaster and Garcon and the response was incredible to say the least. This new Nikita Jr. doesn’t really introduce any new ideas or raise the bar for this Italo style song. It’s a catchy song with heavy synths and great vocals that the listener will probably only really enjoy if he/she is really head over heals with their Retro Italo. I fall in that crowd and find that the whole combination of sound worlds and melodies is what really keeps me coming back for more. I love how HRG Attack can slow down their usual frantic breakdowns and make them a part of an Italo style song. You can pick up on the “Go” chants used in the intro just as if they were rehashed from an old School Cy-Ro song and still fall in perfect sync with these slower bpms. The heavy guitars used throughout the song can also be taken from an x synth fest from Mad Cow’s discography. In, fact; any fan who recalls true Italo, will have a hard TIME recalling hard guitars in the songs, because they were not used in those days. That is the magic of HRG Attack’s Retro Italo sound. Fusing the hard Eurobeat guitars with the relaxing Italo melodies. For further proof listen, to Krystina- “Lonely Hearts” or Styloo- “ My Dreams” from the short lived Disco magic label of the 90’s. Hard Eurobeat bass lines with Italo melodies, spelled mega success for those two songs on the Iventi High Energy charts of the 90s. For me; Nikita has gone from teenager to full grown woman with this new “Touch Me” in terms of song style. Even the lyrics suggest that she can finally hang out with the Ciao Ciao girls.
9/10

8.) Dave & Futura- Sun Fire (Sun Fire)
Boy, Times have sure changed. I can recall just yesterday when an SEB compilation had more than 5 AbeatC appearances. Both artists, Dave Rodgers and now Futura, have established themselves strong contenders in The Eurobeat scene. Dave Rodgers is actually considered untouchable in terms of popularity, but he has given new comer; Futura ,a chance to sine; not only in her vocal skills, but also her writing abilities. We all remember “Fire Dragon”? As far as I’m concerned, that song remains untouchable and I still believe that song to be secretly under the Sun Fire catalog. I’ll admit that when I first heard “Sun Fire”, I wasn’t too thrilled. I expected the Label’s theme song to be more enticing. Really absorb me into that name “Sun Fire”, but as I listened to the song; I came to the conclusion that Sun Fire records is all about Dave & Futura, so the song must naturally carry aspects from both performers. If you listen to the song with this in mind; you will begin to appreciate it, on another level. It has the style of introduction Dave is now using in his songs. A more aggressive style with Arabian sounds to it. I have a feeling Futura incorporated this style since she first appeared with “I’m Superstar” Or at least that is what I think? The melody and riff ;borrow heavily from Dave Rodgers classics, stemming anywhere from “Golden 70s Years” to “Space Boy”, but played with synth styles heard in the latest Futura songs. You also have the ever present Guitar solo, and vocally; Dave sounds, just as great ever. I’m also getting used to Futura’s vocals. She is really trying to belt out those notes and sound as effortless as Dave does delivering the goods. Now; for all the vocal power the song has, I only wish the music would have also been more powerful to fit a title like “Sun Fire”. To be a theme related song, I expected something more along the Lines of “Louder & Faster”. Now; if I view it as a Dave and Futura duet, I would have to say that “Just Another Day With You” is the best one yet. I never heard a complete version of “Dance into My Town”, so I can’t take that one into full consideration, but “JADWY” had a picture perfect intro and that’s enough for me to declare it the current champion. This song; with its great breakdown and hard synths and guitar, will enjoy many repeat plays on my stereo on the weeks to come. The best thing about Sun Fire label, is knowing that a Dave Rodgers solo effort isn’t too far from the horizon.
8+/10

Still a few songs to go to complete my SEB 217 review. Up next a wonderful new entry from one of my favorite David Dima Aliases, The long awaited return of one of my favorite aishu Eurobeat artists, the sophomore entry from Marika and Irene doing what she does best and just spreading pixie dust over the whole disc.

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MAtRiCks » 22 Aug 2011, 11:58

drnrg wrote:MAtRiCks
The Golden Days are unfortunately behind us

Terrible comment and completely false. I ; for one ,don't share that way of thinking at all and I've been with Eurobeat from the start.True that we no longer have Vinyls nor the parapara craze to boost Eurobeat sales, but the producers are still creating great and memorable Eurobeat.
dude, I think our points of view might not be that far apart! the golden days may be behind us (and that's a fact), but I think, just like you, that producers are still creating great and memorable eurobeat. If I didn't, I wouldnt be hanging out on these boards, I'm not a troll. What I do believe though is that at a certain era, eurobeat was not only great and memorable: it was out of this world. That is a matter of opinion though.

The thing is, it's not only the popularity of the albums or the personal preferences on the music that made certain eras shine more than other, or current eurobeat not shine as much. I think it has a lot to do with the productivity (do not misread creativity please) of the creators and the amount of music being pumped out of their studios. would you disagree that the amount of music being made right now is very slim compared to the golden days of the late 90s and early 2000s? this is also reflected in the amount of eurobeat vocalists we get to hear these days. There were so many of them during the golden days, and now some label owners seem to struggle to find vocalists so much that they sing almost everything themselves! Or maybe, like you mentionned, it has to do with the Japanese popularity? When it sells more, there's more money to go around, and more artists come to make profit of of it? who knows...

This is mostly what makes me pessimistic about Eurobeat, not my opinion on the music. Of course, everybody will believe the era when they started listening to it or the era they were most into it to be best. Nostalgia goggles work wonders, but numbers don't lie.

I've still yet to heat 217 in it's completion!! I'll be able to give my full opinion soon enough. I've been thoroughly enjoying the 210s so far, a tad more than the 200s I must say. Maybe it has to do with the format, as I enjoy non-stop mixes very much.

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 22 Aug 2011, 14:01

..never any doubt about the power and ability of eurobeat teams...I am fully convinced that these guys are the best writers and producers on a planet...

Still, Eurobeat will only benefit with getting back on tried and true paths which most fans accept and where disagreements are minimal.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 23 Aug 2011, 05:26

MAtRiCks
dude, I think our points of view might not be that far apart! the golden days may be behind us (and that's a fact), but I think, just like you, that producers are still creating great and memorable eurobeat. If I didn't, I wouldnt be hanging out on these boards, I'm not a troll. What I do believe though is that at a certain era, eurobeat was not only great and memorable: it was out of this world. That is a matter of opinion though.
I don't think I misread your comment and IMOP; it sounded a bit too general. That was my main reason for responding and here is why.

It's no secret that Eurobeat producers read the forum. I include Darksky and Travis too. I beleive in good and bad criticism as you can read in my reviews, but when I see comments like "we are lucky we arte getting what we are getting" or " be happy with what we got"; I see those as bringing the genre to a lower level or like saying it's surviving on fumes and I; for one, want to make very clear and even stand out; if I have to, and say that I don't not share in those opinions what so ever. It's your opinion, so just don't don't include me as well. That's all.

I have never seen or got into Eurobeat for it's marketing strageties nor popularity, so for me the songs are just a great as before. If AVEX suddenly stopped investing in the genre, but the labels, for whatever reason, still offered thier material online, underground..whatever you wanna call it, you be 100% sure I would find out and continue to find ways to aquire it. So, you can better understand meaning. The songs that are being releleased are still ; IMOP,vinyl worthy. 8)

MAtRiCks
this is also reflected in the amount of eurobeat vocalists we get to hear these days. There were so many of them during the golden days, and now some label owners seem to struggle to find vocalists so much that they sing almost everything themselves
!

You might have a point there. Or do you? You mention so many. Yes ;we had a lot of Eurobeat artitst, but you fail to includ,e that most of them just jumped around from label to label.

Time managed to pull off about 10 alaises with just Caria alone. My point is that there might be fewer vocalists, now adays. I gues it's more because they are againg, but the labels are trying to revamp thier rostre. I'm not to up on who's who these days, but I see a lot of different names comming out of DELTA and Dima studios. Even SCP have introduced a bit of new blood these last few years. HRG and Sun Fire remain having the smallest rostre, but HRG Attack is revemping thier alaises by having them sing in different styles. Joe D. Toaster, Cy- Ro, Nikita Jr.. They even bring back Francis Cooper.

The thing about the producers doing the singing themselves has been around since the beggining of TIME. Literally, both Farina and Pasquinin sang there own songs at TIME, ASIA and FLEA, so that not anything new.

I always try to the different aliases as actual different entities. They all follow different styles and even try to change the tones a bit, so for me there has always been a wide avariety of singers in the genre.

I bet Dave Rodgers could even try to fool us into thinking he had more memebers on his label if he brought back James Cooler or mario Ross.

The point is, The labels could carry Eurobeat onto another decade without too much variety, so long as they have active imagination.

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MAtRiCks » 23 Aug 2011, 23:25

drnrg wrote:MAtRiCks
I don't think I misread your comment and IMOP; it sounded a bit too general. That was my main reason for responding and here is why.

It's no secret that Eurobeat producers read the forum. I include Darksky and Travis too. I beleive in good and bad criticism as you can read in my reviews, but when I see comments like "we are lucky we arte getting what we are getting" or " be happy with what we got"; I see those as bringing the genre to a lower level or like saying it's surviving on fumes and I; for one, want to make very clear and even stand out; if I have to, and say that I don't not share in those opinions what so ever. It's your opinion, so just don't don't include me as well. That's all.

I have never seen or got into Eurobeat for it's marketing strageties nor popularity, so for me the songs are just a great as before. If AVEX suddenly stopped investing in the genre, but the labels, for whatever reason, still offered thier material online, underground..whatever you wanna call it, you be 100% sure I would find out and continue to find ways to aquire it. So, you can better understand meaning. The songs that are being releleased are still ; IMOP,vinyl worthy. 8)
I get where you're coming from, and while I feel like you're not looking at the big picture in the most realistic way, I admire your loyalty and never failing optimism for the genre. May we all be that supportive to the genre, at least, of course, until it morphs into an odd subgenre of dubstep :evil:
drnrg wrote: MAtRiCks
this is also reflected in the amount of eurobeat vocalists we get to hear these days. There were so many of them during the golden days, and now some label owners seem to struggle to find vocalists so much that they sing almost everything themselves
!

You might have a point there. Or do you? You mention so many. Yes ;we had a lot of Eurobeat artitst, but you fail to includ,e that most of them just jumped around from label to label.

Time managed to pull off about 10 alaises with just Caria alone. My point is that there might be fewer vocalists, now adays. I gues it's more because they are againg, but the labels are trying to revamp thier rostre. I'm not to up on who's who these days, but I see a lot of different names comming out of DELTA and Dima studios. Even SCP have introduced a bit of new blood these last few years. HRG and Sun Fire remain having the smallest rostre, but HRG Attack is revemping thier alaises by having them sing in different styles. Joe D. Toaster, Cy- Ro, Nikita Jr.. They even bring back Francis Cooper.

The thing about the producers doing the singing themselves has been around since the beggining of TIME. Literally, both Farina and Pasquinin sang there own songs at TIME, ASIA and FLEA, so that not anything new.

I always try to the different aliases as actual different entities. They all follow different styles and even try to change the tones a bit, so for me there has always been a wide avariety of singers in the genre.

I bet Dave Rodgers could even try to fool us into thinking he had more memebers on his label if he brought back James Cooler or mario Ross.

The point is, The labels could carry Eurobeat onto another decade without too much variety, so long as they have active imagination.
Oh I can usually tell vocalists apart by ear pretty well (ask densetsu13, i'm very often his reference for this kind of stuff), so I know when it's just a new alias or a completely different vocalist, and I'm sure someone like you who has been following Eurobeat since it's begginings can do the same. Bottomline is, are there less italian cheeseballs giving us their amazingly emotional-tastic eurobeat vocals these days than in 1998-2002 or not? And yes, label owners like Farina have always partaken in vocal works, but you'd think that some of them must feel quite lonely in their studios sometime these days!

So here I am, pessimistically enjoying what little Eurobeat we are served these days like the rest of us. And I'm sure Dave can churn out his own vocals in a thousand semi-different ways for the next 20 years or so, but that isn't a very exciting prospect, is it?

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 02 Sep 2011, 03:02

Franny you are hilarious. 8)

I finally got my copy of SEB 217 and it's a good one! Regardless of how SEB 218 turns out this decade of SEB is definitely better than the last.

The Top is an excellent way to open up the album. At first I wasn't the biggest fan of the spoken breakdown due to the cheesiness of it. But now, understanding what the intent behind the track, I can swallow that pill more easily. Either way it fits in to the song well and who cares if it's cheesey? We're talking about Eurobeat after all haha. Capaldi production style suits Travis' style of writing very well. I love this track to bits; so very fresh.

I adore the Sally track. I love having Gilardi at Dima studios getting to use his equipment haha. What made this track for me is that after the first time through there's the little guitar riff that leads in to the synth but (I think?) is not present anywhere else in the track. I like little easter eggs like that that break out of the norm!

Disconnected is awesome, and probably the best Hotblade track yet but Up and Dance, Up and Go is ridiculously awesome. There's an example of thinking it was just an OK track upon learning the routine, but being blown away after hearing the good quality version of it.

Am i the only person that really loves the Saifam track? Top knotch production in my books and definitely outside of the eurobeat norm (probably because it's a cover?).

The only track I was disappointed in was the Marica one. I was expecting a LOT after Stay With Me but here the vocal melody was too simple in my opinion and Capaldi has done better. By no means is it bad but I wanted more. The rest of the tracks werebetween average and good but I'm just glad none of it was horrible!

Looking forward to 218! :grin:

P.S. Is anyone who is fluent in Japanese willing to translate the interview with Banchou in this SEB's booklet? I can easily scan it if need be...

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 23 Sep 2011, 22:36

Just finished my SEB 217 review. These are actually ther last batch of songs that I'm starting to give more air play to.

9.) Dee Dee- The Dark Side Of Your Moon (Dima music)
We are up to Dima Labels’ second showing on the cd. This song is a huge step from the Sally track we heard earlier. Right from the very start we hear those ever present piano themes; which almost always guarantee an epic Dima track. Those of you who have been into Eurobeat for as long as I have, will immediately recognize the same melody style as “Hey Hey Baby Cry”. This is not only heard in the intro, but also in the chorus. It really comes as no surprise, since Dima opted to use his Dee Dee alias for this song. These are really the attributes that I find fascinating about Eurobeat. Back in the day, there were so many aliases around, but each one had a style all their own. Now days it seems producers just pick alias out of a hat for their songs, without following that guidline. I’m happy to announce that on this cd, Dima hit the bull’s eye with the perfect style for a Dee Dee song. It so different from his Dream Fighters and David Dima style and those of you who pay particularly close attention to these details will notice that right away. Even the vocal tone is a bit higher. It reminds me of the tone he used when singing under the Chester alias at TIME studio. With all these details I’m almost biased to like the track right away, but pay close attention, because it really is one of Dima’s best songs in these last two years. It has that ever present suspenseful build up from bridge to chorus and just when you think the song has hit it’s peak, it goes one level higher with a very energetic and captivating synth riff. Every track has that one part that really stands out and this song has it at about the 3:30 minuet mark. The music is suddenly dropped for about a mile second and then the third and final verse kicks in. The hi- hat takes center stage and really shines above the other sound worlds. Normally, I might not have cared too much, but by dropping almost all the other instruments, it really adds another set of wings to a song that was already soaring high above the norm for a Dima epic themed tune. It just one of those songs, that has all the elements that make Dima such a driving force in the genre.
10/10

10.) Marika- Forget My Heart (DELTA music industry)
W are up to Capaldi’s second showing on this cd. After the mega synth fest from Ken Blast, this song just becomes overshadowed and gets pushed to the back seat as far as quality is concerned. What I do appreciate, is that Capaldi, has completely dropped the rehashed intro that started way back as “Turbo Disco”. Amazing track, but that intro seemed to make an appearance in almost every production there after. I havn’t yet warmed up to Marika’s aishu style and I will get into that shortly. First off; I was never a big fan of “Stay with Me” and this song follows that same path. It’s not a bad song. It has a very nice melody and even has a pretty catchy riff, but it just plays it too safe. No ups or downs. It has the same tone. It’s actually Marika’s vocals that have a somewhat monotonous tone to them. Not seductive enough, like Clara, but also not sprightly enough to proceed that riff. Some members are egging the intro with it’s odd choice of spoken verses and Engrish. I’ll admit that I also hear “Forget My Art” and “Forget My Eyes” is not standard Eurobeat lyrics, but if you think about it; the eyes are the windows to the soul, so very much she saying forget about me completely to a guy that was obviously too weak to keep her enchanted. There are really a lot of things of this song that I can praise. The intro and break are quite mystic and the riff; which I already mentioned, is quite catchy and is also played in old school trumpet style synths. The song; itself, has it’s Aishu lyrics down straight and I can even find myself giveing a few repeat runs, because of its great theme and beautiful lyrics, but unfortunately , it’s Marika who cant’ quite enchant me with her vocals. Maybe she trying too hard to want to sound like Clara? Whatever the case may be, I still haven’t completely written off the song. With the coming dry Eurobeat period; the song could actually get a slight boost of plays on my stereo. This usually becomes the case with these last cds AVEX puts out before the Holidays and they do finish having a grow affect on me. Who knows by the end of the year “Forget My Heart” could wind up on my top 20? For now I give it a grade higher than I actually did when I first heard it.
-8/10

11.) Norma Sheffield- You’re Amazing (Sun Fire)
..and so this brings up to one of the old school Aishu queens of Eurobeat. Here is another perfect example of how an artist can be so precise with her style that you actually feel you are listening to her first song all over again. If you are a Norma fan; like I am, you will herald her return to the Aishubeat frontline. It’s been way too long since one of her songs graced a Super Eurobeat cd. Her last song, if I can recall correctly, was a bit too low in the BPMs and just didn’t click right with the crowd. I’m not sure, what it was, but it’s safe to say that if these are a preview of things to come, then I will be greatly anticipating her next works. The first thing we notice is the Eastern themed intro that Pasquinni has really grown fond of. I don’t know why, but I compare them to Arabian style melodies. Those intros works flawlessly on songs with Aishu style and it’s probably because, when you first hear it on this song, you realize the style could go either way. Perhaps even a more up-tempo song for Norma. The “hey heys” are pure old school and give her vocals an even more added charm. Like I said, this new song can easily fall in-between such classic as “Your Love Is Lightning” and “Looking to the People”. The melodies in verses, bridge and chorus seem to flow together so perfectly as if the song came to Pasquini in a dream. No awkwardness at all, just pure synchronicity from start to finish. I knew Pasquinni could still write a proper aishu song when I heard “Lonely”, but this song further proves that Sun Fire will be a force to reckon with in the Aishubeat world. ..And May I be the first to welcome back Norma to her familiar territory.
9+/10

12.) Irene- Every Heart Wanna Fly (SCP)
With two amazing SCP tracks on the cd, I knew there had to be a black sheep somewhere in here. It further baffles me how SCP opted to give this song a more appropriate running TIME, while Hotblade and Lou Master got preview edits. The First thing I notice about this song is the completely nonsensible title. “Every Heart Wanna Fly” is beyond sappy lovey, dovy. It’s not aishubeat at all. It’s like Kika & Fancy trying to do a romantic themed song and fail miserably. I doubt even die hard Irene fans will say this is one of their stand out tracks of this cd? As far as Irene is concerned, I can safely say that the last track that captivated me would have to be “Love Is The Name Of Love”, I realize that was yet, another non sensible title, but that song has a killer riff and it seemed like if she was getting geared up to take a more aggressive style at Eurobeat. That; was, of course, a short lived expectation. Come to think of it; Irene really hasn’t raised too many eyebrows for a few years now. This new song does’nt raises any brows and barely keeps my attention. I had to replay it a few TIMEs just to find reason why to review it and still can’t find anything remotely captivating about it. I can find a song to be rather disappointing, but still find aspects that I really like about it. This song has none, absolutely nothing to make me even want to back to it. What’s worse is that is seems that somewhere along the lines SCP might have had the idea to recreate the charm of Momo’s “One heart One Soul” and instead got epic fail. There really isn’t much more I can add about this song, except that, its pure filler material. Bring back Christine or better yet, Momo.
-6/10

13.) Jungle Bill- Flying Over The Sky (HRG Attack)
This next song is a treat for any HRG Attack fan. First off, you have the return of Federico Rimonti to the SEB series. I say SEB series, because he has sung song like “Suk El Kazoo”, ECT..., but for some reason AVEX has passed up on them, so this is a real milestone. It’s been about two years since The Last Super Eurobeat themed song was released on that nonstop; so those fans thirsty for some new Mad Cow style, will be pleasantly surprised. The theme for this cd could easily be back to old school basics. You have the old aliases returning, the trumpet style synths and even the new singers release old school eurobeat style songs. The old titles are the main reason this cd has brought me so much pleasure and this song is one of those highlights. It gets difficult to review songs and try to find new and exciting things to say about the songs when almost every praise has already been used to death, but the thick of the matter is that this song brings back HRG Attack to the frontline as fast NRGetic no sensible lyric inducing material, but they do it better than anyone else. This is the kind of material only Rimonti and Festari can pull off with their quirky vocal style at any decade of Eurobeat and still get the heart pumping and feet stomping. Many might wonder just what is HRG singing about with Black Jack Big Tornado? These are actually to types of aircrafts. Big Tornado is Mr. Franz Tornado throwing himself in the mix as well. Leave it to HRG Attack to write a Eurobeat song about Aircraft pilots and throw onto the Eurobeat community. The song has all the usual tricks, but like most of Rimonti’s songs, it’s his vocal style that really stands out. The emphasis at the end of each sung line is pure Old School Franz Tornado style and on this song I believe the studio took excerpts from the classic “I’ll Kiss You” from Jeff Driller. Just listen to the break and you’ll hear what I hear. The song is just a real top notch Eurobeat treat and sure to garner many repeat plays on pcs and home stereos.
10/10

14.) Mega NRG Man- Rocket Man (GGMs)
What Old School themed compact disc would be complete without Thomas Marin making an appearance. I can still recall how his vocals reminded me of a younger version of Pete Burns when I first heard the classic, “Dog Eat Dog”. Oh the memories of such an epic tune flowed thru my head as I heard this new Mega NRG man for the first TIME. GGMs is a label that I still wouldn’t herald as great, but once in a while they really surprise me by putting out a real tasty old school song like this one. The intro is really ego- testosterone packed. Oddly enough it reminds me of something Fastway might try out on a SCP song. Never the less, that intro gets me worked up everyTIME I hear it. The riff is also like wise just as effective, but somehow the brakes are put on overdrive just as the first verse begins. That, for me, is probobly the only glitch in the entire song. It feels like it suddenly slows down the pace. In fact that poor melody in the verse is just dying for the bridge to come along and inject a bit of adrenaline. It’s not so bad as to ruin the rest of the song’s atmosphere, but it just keeps the song at a legal speed limit instead of really pushing it to the limit where a song like this should be. My favorite part besides the chorus has to be the intro. I really get the feel as if the Rocket (song) is getting ready to blast off. The sound worlds were chosen with that precise feel behind them and that light synth effect following the bass line really puts that feel into gear. The song also has a really cool guitar fused break with even more synch and vocoder effects. This all begins around the 3 minute mark and should be paid close attention to in order to better appreciate the song’s theme. The effects return once more right before the last chorus as a sort of mini break and for me it’s seems like the perfect strategy to gear us up for that last round. I really didn’t recall too much praising around the E.P. community, so I wonder if many of you have actually heard the song while taking into consideration all the Rocket themed effects or are we all just looking for another quick Eurobeat fix? Anyway, I’d say that Rocket man delivers almost just as strong as “Japanese Girl” a few cds back. It just needs some repeat action on the players to grow on you.
9+/10

15.) Helena- Lonely Night (Eurogrooves healing remix) (Eurogrooves)
So we come to the closing of yet another great cd. I usually don’t review this last healing style track or sometimes even completely skip it, but this TIME I was thoroughly surprised by the atmosphere of the song. It is perhaps due to the fact that I was never really a big fan of the original “Lonely Night”. I thought it was too aggressive for its own good and definitely for its theme. Furthermore, the extended version featured an almost nonexistent break at a TIME when most of TIME’s songs had pretty interesting breaks and intros. The song; in its original form also seemed to go by too fast to even enjoy Elena Feretti’s vocals. Now; some 15 odd years later, the song is presented to me in a completely different package. A package; that I would say ,suits Helena’s style one hundred TIMEs better. As with every song; an intro, is of utmost importance and this song goes one step further and inserts the kind of intro that I would actually expect from a title headed by the word “healing”. The first few seconds with footsteps and keys jingling are not exactly that important, but pay close attention as she winds up the music box and it begins to play the melody riff of “Lonely Night”. Those music box jingles turn into powerful raw piano keys right before our ears. That fact; that she starts off singing in acapella- like style, only adds to the tone of the song’s theme; “Lonely Night”. Are we to think that she just came back home from work only to spend another lonely night or is that she just returned from a rendezvous with her lover only to spend the remaining of the night alone? The sense that she is probably singing in the dark only with the music box to accompany her is a beautiful image that I have never really envisioned while listing to a Eurobeat song. Not even an aishubeat one. So; for all the dirt, I have thrown on these healing remixes in the past; I can finally say that Sergio Dall ‘Ora has captivated me with this song in a way no other romantic themed song ever has and has given a new face to the classic “Lonely Night”
10/10

This is no doubt one of the better discs this decade. Not only for its Old School theme, which I can almost derive from every song in one way or another, but also because its shear quality in music and performances. The low points are so few that it surely becomes a frontrunner for my Eurobeat cd of the year. The way I’ve been listening to this cd is in a progressive form. Meaning, I give more plays to certain songs, while trying to save some for the coming dry months.I will probably also use this method for SEB 218. That way the effect of the songs will take me thru these next few months. I can only hope next year we will have a lot more of these returning artists making more surprising comebacks.

UFOPOLI
Eurobeat Boom

Post by UFOPOLI » 25 Oct 2011, 10:20

I finally got my copies of 217 and 218, and I must say I'm quite disappointed with both. The two albums contain a grand total of one track I really want to hear again, Forget My Art, and even that one mostly because its resemblance to the biggest hit of the year, Stay With Me. In time, I will probably grow to like some others as well, but it's unlikely many will rise up to full five stars :???:

Overall, the 200's were an excellent decade, the 210's just a pale shadow in comparison.
Densetsu13 wrote:I actually appreciate that someone who doesn't dance Para Para can see this as well. Unfortunately the truly original routines are few and far between.
That's true. On the other hand, as an instructor, I've learnt to appreciate simpler choreographies as well because you need new easy stuff to teach to the young'uns, too.

Then again, there are always ourselves to make up for the lack of originality 8)
Every time I'm free
I realize that funny time will take me higher

starry
Euro To B

Post by starry » 13 May 2012, 10:54

So just catching up on things since I was last here....

Norma Sheffield has the stand out for me on this one. I know it might not seem quite like what she is known for and that might put some off at first. It is more Hi-NRG like a lot of eurobeat now, and her voice is slightly deeper perhaps (women's voices go that way as they get older). But look beyond that and it can still fit with her classics in some ways, it is still very melodic and her voice still has the same accent paradoxically limited in range and yet straining effectively for that emotion.

Happy to see her back and with another good song too. :)
lover of melody