Eurobeat in Tokyo

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 25 Jul 2012, 20:37

I tried looking at the schedules but couldn't see October on the places I tried (or I wasn't looking at the right place), but could be more about not understanding the language :p

Anyways keeping fingers crossed that something occurs during the two weeks I'm there.

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 26 Jul 2012, 17:20

Bore wrote:I tried looking at the schedules but couldn't see October on the places I tried (or I wasn't looking at the right place)
These days people only make their schedules one month in advance, so you'll have to wait until October to get a schedule of dates.

EurothunderNL
Eurobeat Boom

Tokyo Record Stores

Post by EurothunderNL » 27 Jul 2012, 19:30

I found an interesting link with names and adresses of music stores in Tokyo (although perhaps not everything is up2data anymore):

http://www.bento.com/rekodoya.html

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 15 Oct 2012, 14:17

Finally on route for Tokyo. Gotta doublecheck all of these recommendations when I get there. Not sure if two weeks is enough to check out all of the places I had planned and to top that off with all of the other things to see.
With my luck I'll hop on the wrong airport limousine and end up in the wrong end of the town.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 16 Oct 2012, 08:10

I envy you. Every year I say I'm gonna go, but I just havn't gotten around to doing it.

Just don't get caught up in all that Gangnam Style B.S. :D

synthjunkie
Eurobeat Scholar

Japanese customs

Post by synthjunkie » 17 Oct 2012, 20:20

Bore wrote:Finally on route for Tokyo. Gotta doublecheck all of these recommendations when I get there. Not sure if two weeks is enough to check out all of the places I had planned and to top that off with all of the other things to see.
With my luck I'll hop on the wrong airport limousine and end up in the wrong end of the town.
I've been to Japan many many times, and it's very cool and all, and also kinda trippy at times.
I've also had a sister who lived there and married a Japanese man there and had a child.
Just a few words of caution:
Just be careful with some of the attitudes there towards foreigners.
You will always be treated politely, but this is just part of the culture, it doesn't mean they really think you are a king or anything, they can completely hate a person, and still treat them with the highest politeness possible. The Japanese also have a very difficult time communicating problems, and trying to say "no", so instead they might seem as if they say "yes" about something to you, but it really means "no."
Another thing is that the mentality over there is that foreigners will always be foreigners, and no matter how long you live there, or try to fit in to their culture, they will never treat you as a Japanese citizen.
Also, don't be surprised if you ever come across some bars or saunas saying "no foreigners allowed", this is completely acceptable in Japan, and the Japanese don't seem to understand the concept of discrimination.

My last warning, which I speak from experience from my sister, a situation which happend to her:
If you ever fall in love with a Japanese, make sure you understand that in Japan, the foreigner has no rights to ever see his/her child if the marriage was to ever to be a divorce. The Japanese parent has full custody of the child in every single case. In the case that if the Japanese parent was an abuser to the child, or mentally ill, the court system there would give the child to next closest of kin related to the Japanese parent, rather than giving the child to the parent who is the foreinger, and this rule applies even to foreigners who have working visas, and even permanent residencies. If you don't believe me, just google and see for yourself. Also, if the parent so choose to live abroad with the foreign parent, the Japanese parent is allowed to bring his/her child back to Japan and be protected under Japanese law, forbidding any foreign country to try and bring the child back to the foreign country he was living in.
In the case that both parents were Japanese, the Japanese mother is given full custody 100% of the time, and if she also metally sick, or abusive, etc, the child would be given to the closest kin on her side of the family, rather than to the child's own Japanese father.

Aside from all that, please enjoy your trip. Japan still has alot of cool and interesting things to do, and see, and if you can understand the culture there, and accept it for what it is, then you will be fine.
Last edited by synthjunkie on 27 Apr 2013, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 18 Oct 2012, 08:57

Once a gaijin, always a gaijin hunh?

Well after quite a few tours about the town and visits to multiple Book Offs and other musicstores the amount of my loot is still fairly small. Only found 2 older SEBs from one of the smaller Book Off in Ikebukuro. Haven't ventured to the further one in Nagayama, but planning to give that a shot as well.

What did give me a happy was this small arcade in Ikebukuro that played My Sweet Banana on loop. I wonder how the people inside could endure the 2minute clip the place had (off of some nonstop album, couldn't pinpoint the exact one, but I had heard the cut offs a hundred times before).

What I do fail to understand is the reasoning for the local "You are here"-maps which are scattered all over the town. Yes, the idea is good. The execution is horrible. I just don't understand why the map must be rotated about in the most obscure ways. Why can't north just be up like a sane person would think. Instead North is most often either down or left... sometimes even right. I've gotten mixed up with my directions just too often due to them.

EurothunderNL
Eurobeat Boom

Post by EurothunderNL » 18 Oct 2012, 19:15

Last month in Tokyo I didn't had time to look for cds but in Osaka I found quite a lot eurobeat cds at various second hand shops. Especially Den-Den Town. Here is also Melon Books where I bought Toho Eurobeat 6. A whole stand of Toho Eurobeat cd's playing the cd!!

Yes Tokyo!!!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 19 Oct 2012, 11:24

I've always wondered if one can find older Eurobeat vinyls in Japan?

EurothunderNL
Eurobeat Boom

Post by EurothunderNL » 19 Oct 2012, 20:51

I've always wondered if one can find older Eurobeat vinyls in Japan?
I have never looked for them so I don't know... :|

Shawaazu
Master of Time

Post by Shawaazu » 20 Oct 2012, 18:05

drnrg wrote:I've always wondered if one can find older Eurobeat vinyls in Japan?
There was this one vinyl shop in Shinjuku that I went to that had an Italo Disco/Eurobeat section. That was a few years ago, I dunno if it's still there, I also forgot its name.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 21 Oct 2012, 06:46

The reason I asked was because years ago; when the vinyl shops were still around; I found Italo and some Eurobeat vinyls for as little as 50 cents. I don't have to tell you guys that I nearly cleaned them out, but I'm talking years ago. Just wondered if any Japanese shops did anything like this with older TIME and AbeatC ect..

zyx
Euro To B

Post by zyx » 21 Oct 2012, 23:34

Shawaazu wrote:
drnrg wrote:I've always wondered if one can find older Eurobeat vinyls in Japan?
There was this one vinyl shop in Shinjuku that I went to that had an Italo Disco/Eurobeat section. That was a few years ago, I dunno if it's still there, I also forgot its name.
It was called Beat Collectors and it doesn't exist anymore.
Just buy them on Yahoo Japan Auctions.
Now that most of Time and Delta's catalogue's are available digitally, there are many auctions available for eurobeat vinyls.

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 21 Oct 2012, 23:59

http://mega-mixx.ocnk.net/ this website is better than yahoo auctions imo. Beware of some crazy prices though.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 22 Oct 2012, 05:55

Mouth Waters :!:

Great! Now just tell me what language that's in so I can use Google Translator and register with that site.

Hope I don't have to live there to be able to sign up?

980 yen seems to the going price for most. What¿s that about 7 dollars roughly.