EB song use/copyright license??

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Bricey
Bad Bad Bad

EB song use/copyright license??

Post by Bricey » 05 Aug 2016, 07:39

I have been wondering how much would it be to get... I guess... a license or permission to use existing songs into my own work? (E.G. use eurobeat music in a series/movie/whatever)
How much would you speculate it would average? (both iconic music and well, lesser known ones)
And who should I speak to first when negotiating? The label or artist? And if the song is very classic made by an artist with another alias, how can I contact?

I also have to admit that my knowledge of labels is extremely minimal. Website addresses, contact information, artists that are under the label would be great too :D

[Some songs in mind are Mad Desire by Stephy Martini, Dark in the Night by Maio & Co]

Anthony McBazooka
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Anthony McBazooka » 05 Aug 2016, 08:35

For any song from the Super Eurobeat series you should contact Avex. Only problem, if you don't speak Japanese, you have to find someone to translate this page to you: http://www.avex.co.jp/contact/copyright.html
For songs from independent artists you should contact the artists directly.

xiao
Euroheater

Post by xiao » 05 Aug 2016, 16:38

Last edited by xiao on 31 Dec 2017, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
🪐

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 05 Aug 2016, 18:10

The above isn't really good advice. The best way to contact avex for that stuff is to email avex-intl@av.avex.co.jp . I've talked to Natsuyo Ito that way. However they are very slow and eventually denied me after 2 weeks with a very mean reason telling me I wasn't "good enough" at ParaPara even though they aren't experts in ParaPara. I haven't talked to them since.

Anthony McBazooka
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Anthony McBazooka » 05 Aug 2016, 18:37

xiao wrote:★ Just use it, don't worry about it & what or who the copyright belongs to.

Avex does a lot of things wrong; one for instance is never releasing extended versions of a good chunk of their catalogue. Another is selling Super Eurobeat exclusively in Japan without ever attempting to license or market the SEB series & other popular Avex trax outside of that small island in Asia. They're happy with the business-status of just selling their music within Japan. Sure we can order through amazon.jp BUT who wants to pay for shipping when you can head to the local anime/record shop, and get it exactly for 2,592 円 ー no more no less ー just like if you where living within Japan itself.
I agree on a moral level. But still I wouldn't recommend doing that because you will get in conflict with the law and you will certainly lose. Avex is like Sauron, they have their eye looking everywhere.
Tiger wrote:The above isn't really good advice. The best way to contact avex for that stuff is to email avex-intl@av.avex.co.jp . I've talked to Natsuyo Ito that way. However they are very slow and eventually denied me after 2 weeks with a very mean reason telling me I wasn't "good enough" at ParaPara even though they aren't experts in ParaPara. I haven't talked to them since.
Avex has some strange ideas of marketing … well, don't let that discourage you and keep on doing what you love!

xiao
Euroheater

Post by xiao » 05 Aug 2016, 20:23

Last edited by xiao on 31 Dec 2017, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
🪐

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 05 Aug 2016, 20:51

Alternatively, you can contact the producer of the song you want to use and ask them who holds the rights. Because this might be different for different parts of the world. If it happens to be Avex, you can contact them. But if it's someone else having the distribution rights, it doesn't make sense to contact our Japanese friends. ;)

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 06 Aug 2016, 04:23

back in the 90s when I was a Dee jay; I used to spin TIME/DELTA/HRG Attack/ABeatC/Vibration vinyls all the TIME, at partys, quincenieras(sweet 15s), Weddings ect.... I don't know how much AVEX had to do with the vinyls; but I never had any trouble. I also used to upload mixes on Myspace. com. Nothing on Youtbe; though, ever. Maybe that's why; I never had trouble?

Bricey
Bad Bad Bad

Post by Bricey » 07 Aug 2016, 22:09

Anthony McBazooka wrote:Only problem, if you don't speak Japanese, you have to find someone to translate this page...
Glad to know my months of Japanese learning is going to be put to use. :grin:
xiao wrote:Just use it, don't worry about it & what or who the copyright belongs to.
I reallyyyy want to stay on a good note with the company, distributor, etc. & I would want to repay back to the EB community and producers with the exposure they need if you see where I am getting at... the genre is just too good to be left in the shadows.
MKwiakaku wrote:Alternatively, you can contact the producer of the song you want to use and ask them who holds the rights.
I would deem this a more safer bet. As I want 0 conflict with anyone or deal with copyright. But where can I contact them?

P.S. This is for an indie entertainment company I am starting out on the internet with colleagues and one of my works would fit swell with EB as the soundtrack. :)

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 08 Aug 2016, 05:29

Avex owns all the licenses so you probably should just ask them. Keep in mind you will have to submit a sample of usage before they can approve it.

Rain197
Eurobeat Master

Post by Rain197 » 08 Aug 2016, 16:27

This is what happen when you record with Fraps with Eurobeat in background:

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 08 Aug 2016, 18:17

Tiger wrote:Avex owns all the licenses so you probably should just ask them. Keep in mind you will have to submit a sample of usage before they can approve it.
False.

Let me explain it as easy as I can to all of you: Avex is just a licensee of Eurobeat music. They license songs from the labels in Italy to be allowed to distribute them in a certain part of the world.

This could be worldwide (= expensive for them), could be Asia (= less expensive), could be Japan only. It could basically be anything.

Most labels have an exclusive licensing deal with Avex for the territory of Japan and in some cases the entire of Asia. This means that there are two parties involved whom you need clearance from if you plan on releasing this music worldwide.

If you upload a song on YouTube which is licensed by Avex, it means you would technically have to deal with two parties (unless you decide to block your video in certain parts of the world).

If you really wouldn't want to be worrying about copyright you could contact Avex for the Japanese (or in some cases entire Asian) territory via: avex-intl@av.avex.co.jp. Besides that contact the Italian label to get clearance for the rest of the world.

We all know that you wouldn't have to be worried that much about the last party as they are definitely not hunting down uploaders of their copyrighted material, whereas the first party is. Good luck.
Last edited by DarkSky on 09 Aug 2016, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

Crockett
Eurobeat Master

Post by Crockett » 08 Aug 2016, 18:53

DarkSky wrote:Avex is just a licensor of Eurobeat music. They license songs from the labels in Italy to be allowed to distribute them in a certain part of the world.
And if I'm not wrong, much more precisely, not directly from italian labels, but from companies being their italian publishers, which sell, share Eurobeat from each studio, label to the international company, next publisher - Avex Trax.

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 08 Aug 2016, 19:15

Crockett wrote:
DarkSky wrote:Avex is just a licensor of Eurobeat music. They license songs from the labels in Italy to be allowed to distribute them in a certain part of the world.
And if I'm not wrong, much more precisely, not directly from italian labels, but from companies being their italian publishers, which sell, share Eurobeat from each studio, label to the international company, next publisher - Avex Trax.
Kinda. Not entirely true.

A publisher should be on the lookout for opportunities to publish the music. So basically yes, they could be looking for opportunities to get it published on a label. They should mostly be working on getting the song synced to television series, movies or in games or so. This is all very legal-ish and difficult to understand. Aaand... publishers do receive a certain percentage for collecting copyright royalties around the world. (Each time song is played on radio, or featured in a movie or whatever, a small part of money has to be paid, publishers basically collect that money and pay it to the copyright holders.

In return for what they do, they play a role in copyright and if the song is contracted with a publisher they do own a percentage of the song's copyright. Which means officially you gotta get clearance from them too.

Contini S.R.L is the biggest one in Eurobeat.

You can look up which parties to contact to get copyright clearance in the JASRAC database: http://www2.jasrac.or.jp/eJwid/main.jsp?trxID=F00100

For instance on this song: Dream Fighters - All About You.
http://www2.jasrac.or.jp/eJwid/main.jsp ... sion=start

As you can see the copyright holders are:

1. DI MARCANTONIO D (Composer)
2. VERMAAK S (Writer, which is actually me, lol)
3. CONTINI SRL (Publisher)
4. AVEX PUBLISHING (Sub Publisher)

Those are the ones to get clearance from.
Yes. Singers are NOT copyright holders, don't bother contacting them. (Unless they wrote their own music and were featured as composer and/or writer)

Crockett
Eurobeat Master

Post by Crockett » 08 Aug 2016, 19:26

ITALY:

THE SAIFAM GROUP SRL - Asia, Boom Boom Beat

SYM-MUSIC SRL - Time

ALA BIANCA GROUP SRL - Flea

CONTINI EDIZIONI MUSICALI SRL - A.Beat-C., Go Go's Music, SCP, Dima Music

FUTURA PRINCE EDIZIONI MUSICALI SRL - Sun Fire

STAR SRL EDIZIONI MUSICALI - Hi-NRG Attack

LED RECORDS - Vibration

DELTA CORPORATION SRL - Delta

SINCLAIRESTYLE SRL - Sinclaire Style

JAPAN:

Alfa International, Pony Canyon International, Victor, Toshiba EMI Ltd., Avex Trax