Dave Rodgers - Eurobeat Classic

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Bonkers
Euroheater

Dave Rodgers - Eurobeat Classic

Post by Bonkers » 29 Aug 2020, 16:12

I'm not noticing any advertisement or talk around his new Eurobeat Classic album. I'm glad someone is still putting out something new. Pretty much, I like most of all the female tracks on the album, and the re-sung Tora Tora Tora is a decent update. What did yall think?

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Re: Dave Rodger's new album

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 29 Aug 2020, 17:39

You mean this album? :)

I have to admit that I didn't give it a full listen yet. Dave Rodgers has been releasing stuff lately and most of the original tunes are great.

flying_corridor
Eurocurious

Re: Dave Rodgers - Eurobeat Classic

Post by flying_corridor » 30 Aug 2020, 10:00

Where would you buy this series from?

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 30 Aug 2020, 12:46

It's available on the Dave Rodgers Music Bandcamp page.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 30 Aug 2020, 14:11

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 30 Aug 2020, 14:12

I love those run times, 8 tracks are at least 5:00 or longer. And I like they actually have mixable intros and outros for DJs to mix with instead of copy & paste editing.

flying_corridor
Eurocurious

Post by flying_corridor » 30 Aug 2020, 18:16

Oh digital only?

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 30 Aug 2020, 19:03

Yes, digital only. Probably because the costs of a physical cd is too high.

flying_corridor
Eurocurious

Post by flying_corridor » 31 Aug 2020, 01:59

A shame, but I'm glad the Italians are still holding on to their music. I'm not entirely sure what went down between Avex and the producers, but it's good to see the likes of Rodgers and Sinclair still putting their music out there. The entire history of Eurobeat is almost exclusively Italian, it seems Avex really gave some of them the shaft in trying to take Eurobeat for them selves, especially with what they're doing now trying to look for new producers to keep the genre going on the Japanese side. Hopefully we'll see more compilations from Italy and keep the genre as it's always been instead of Avex having their hands in it.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 03 Sep 2020, 01:53

flying_corridor wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 01:59 A shame, but I'm glad the Italians are still holding on to their music. I'm not entirely sure what went down between Avex and the producers, but it's good to see the likes of Rodgers and Sinclair still putting their music out there. The entire history of Eurobeat is almost exclusively Italian, it seems Avex really gave some of them the shaft in trying to take Eurobeat for them selves, especially with what they're doing now trying to look for new producers to keep the genre going on the Japanese side. Hopefully we'll see more compilations from Italy and keep the genre as it's always been instead of Avex having their hands in it.
Well the sad truth is, sales were just down. From a record company's stand point, you can't keep paying for physical prints if you're not going to make a profit. But also, many of the tracks from 2015-2017 were just dull, now that I look back. Hi-NRG Attack seemed stuck using the same B-Melo melody, SCP kept using the same synth patterns, Whatever Dave & Futura were going through bled through SunFire, Dima's tracks that he himself sang just became darker and darker with very little eurobeat sound and more like some trance blend, Delta's tracks were pretty much the same layout, different melody (the first four measures of the 2nd verse were always without drums, a very repeated pattern),

I will say, after Melody C. came back to Hi-NRG Attack on 241+, their tracks became better. BBB had some decent tracks in the 240's, but Bratt Sinclaire truly tried to keep the hyper synths and interesting tracks going. GoGo's was hit or miss.

I hope the artists are rested, refreshed, and renewed, as I look forward to this release! 8)

flying_corridor
Eurocurious

Post by flying_corridor » 03 Sep 2020, 20:32

Bonkers wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 01:53Well the sad truth is, sales were just down. From a record company's stand point, you can't keep paying for physical prints if you're not going to make a profit. But also, many of the tracks from 2015-2017 were just dull, now that I look back. Hi-NRG Attack seemed stuck using the same B-Melo melody, SCP kept using the same synth patterns, Whatever Dave & Futura were going through bled through SunFire, Dima's tracks that he himself sang just became darker and darker with very little eurobeat sound and more like some trance blend, Delta's tracks were pretty much the same layout, different melody (the first four measures of the 2nd verse were always without drums, a very repeated pattern),

I will say, after Melody C. came back to Hi-NRG Attack on 241+, their tracks became better. BBB had some decent tracks in the 240's, but Bratt Sinclaire truly tried to keep the hyper synths and interesting tracks going. GoGo's was hit or miss.

I hope the artists are rested, refreshed, and renewed, as I look forward to this release! 8)
I mean, at least from my perspective, since Hi-NRG and Italo-Disco in the 80's and 90's, Italian dance music diverged, those making Italo-Disco went to Japan where as those making Italo-Dance and Trance went to Europe. I still consider Italo-Disco and Italo-Dance as sub genres of the same thing branching from Hi-NRG as they emerged around the same time, just two different sounds that appealed to diferent markets. But in the end they were mostly the same thing, high BPM dance/disco/trance tracks (imo ofc). Even Spain made some stuff in the mid-late 90's that's in the same vein as Eurobeat albeit with the euro sound instead of disco, and these kinds of hyper melodies didn't show up in Eurobeat until much later.

youtu.be/3NV-2Y4Gd34

So at least to me it's kind of understandable why it went stale, considering how it evolved over the late 90's and 00's, by the end there isn't much left to inovate. It took much longer in Eurobeat to reach the kind of BPM and melody we had in the 90's in Europe, especially since Eurobeat producers were kind of locked into the Italo-Disco and didn't really change the sound until much later. I think sometimes there's just a kind of tendency to want to make the same music that fellow artists are making, Italy, Spain, Germany alike. Of course I'm fairly ingorant to Eurobeat as a genre, that's just how I view it.

But at least in the case of Eurobeat the progression of the sound as you listen from old to new is really solid and producers who stuck to the genre made amazing music, but for harder sounds and bits of trance to trickle into the genre especially when you're European producers who've been surrounded with all of this dance music for a decade or two,there has to be some feeling that you've missed out on something, especially when newer Eurobeat got closer to the European music of old.

Sorry I went a little off topic there, but I felt it was an appropriate response to your post. But when it comes to Eurobeat I think this is why I like a lot of the later stuff even though I do love the Italo-Disco, just because I grew up with high BPM dance music like this. I noticed your nickname is Bonkers? I assume that's a reference to the Bonkers series? So I can assume you probably know what I'm talking about in that regard. Eurobeat was really like a fixed thing that changed very slowly over time, where as European music just exploded across the region especially in the mid 90's.

It must have been hard as a producer by the time SEB came to an end to keep innovating instead of creating the same sound when so much of the music around you changed so much. It's like you say, hopefully the artists are rested, refreshed, and renewed and Eurobeat gets back into the same swing it has been.