The Best Of Super Eurobeat 2020

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Gtmkm98
Eurobeat Fan

Re: The Best Of Super Eurobeat 2020

Post by Gtmkm98 » 10 Oct 2020, 22:10

Oh wow, Drifting All Night is amazing! That does not sound like Dejo, though. Crazy Disco in Tokyo is kind of disappointing - the riff is underwhelming, but I find an interest in the chorus.

Let's see if they thrill me later on!
There's No Traffic Light at the Speed of Light.

-Supersonic Hero, by Steve Holley

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 21 Oct 2020, 23:47

7 days to go!!!

Mear
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Mear » 23 Oct 2020, 17:39

"Stand Up 8" and "Vamos Chicanos" teaser.
https://mobile.twitter.com/avexseboffic ... 7553532929

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 29 Oct 2020, 01:57

Amazing album!

Highway Star's synth just hit so perfect!

flying_corridor
Eurocurious

Post by flying_corridor » 30 Oct 2020, 17:20

So what is the stock like on this CD? I notice CD Japan has only one copy left in stock. I was going to preorder it but I'm kind of more interested in buying older CDs still to not rush out and buy it. Resellers on Discogs still dont have copies so I'm unsure how many copies they actually printed.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 31 Oct 2020, 04:44

flying_corridor wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 17:20 So what is the stock like on this CD? I notice CD Japan has only one copy left in stock. I was going to preorder it but I'm kind of more interested in buying older CDs still to not rush out and buy it. Resellers on Discogs still dont have copies so I'm unsure how many copies they actually printed.
I think they only print a few hundred copies (~500), and that's it; no re-pressings. Don't quote me on that though.

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 31 Oct 2020, 15:08

I'm happy all the songs on SEB2020 are this good. It sucks having only 1 new SEB each year, but the quality of all these songs makes the wait really worth it.

I'm also loving the front and back cover! The front cover is an edit of the original Super Eurobeat vol. 1 by BeatFreak, and the back has the same photo as Super Eurobeat vol. 1 released by Avex. It all comes together.

Gtmkm98
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Gtmkm98 » 31 Oct 2020, 23:44

Here is my review:

Drifting All Night / Dejo
Yes, this is what I was waiting for! A riff for the ages, great vocal work, and so much more in the package! What did I expect from De Jorio? This is awesome! :grin:
10/10

Crazy Disco in Tokyo / Pimky
The lyrics work well. They do. The chorus is pretty good. The riff is impressive, but not Drifting All Night levels. The vocals are fairly intriguing, but have a weird feel to them. It's better than I expected, but not the best.
7/10

Stand Up 8 / Fastway
Well, this is unexpected. The vocals are your normal Fastway - nothing too shabby, but not superior. As with a lot of Fastway songs, the riff is the star of the show. The chorus just doesn't click. The song mostly makes sense, but what the hell does 'Stand Up 8' imply?
8/10

Vamos Chicanos / Franz Tornado
Okay, this song is pretty good. But the riff - what the hell? I can't even handle it! The sampling is also unsettling. There is the good ends of the piece, but there are also the bad ends.
6/10

Baby Countdown / Ken Martin
Yes! Manuel is back with a vengeance! The deep Manuel vocals work PERFECTLY with the lyric sets. Even without much of a riff, the Manuel vocal work throws all of that discontent out the window. If only this was under the Manuel alias...
9/10

Down Down Will I Fall in Love? / Tipsy and Tipsy
I can say that this is satisfying. It's not another Mister Go, yet it is also not another Forever in my Mind. The vocal work is great here, and as with Baby Countdown, it takes up for the fairly disappointing riff that would have torn the song apart. And hey, the tempo is at least sensible here!
7/10

Fly Me to the Moon / Dream Fighters
First things first, the darker vocals from Dima work perfectly!!! I have always been a sucker for some Dima vocals, and this song indeed fuels the flames. The riff is also really good. The only part I do not like much is the chorus, it seems somewhat unoriginal due to its resemblance to his earlier work Mikado. (Get me right, Mikado is great, but it is overrated.)
9/10

Highway Star / Cherry
Okay, this song is still somewhat disappointing. The vocals are a letdown. The riff is good, but still disappointing. However, it still gives me a sense of nostalgia for Rebel Yell (personally, my favorite piece under this alias). I am impressed, yet also disappointed at the same time.
6/10

Mighty Wind of Change / Irene
First, we get Dark Evil. Now, we get Tanith. And this is as impressive as ever. The chorus and riff are top notch. The riff reminds me of Fastway's Revolution. This is still not a Way Up Across the Sky, but it is still a good piece from Irene. It reminds me of a less ecstatic Kaory. This is a good song.
8/10

Bad Boy Blue / Leslie Parrish
Okay, the vocal work is somewhat disappointing, not as good as in the Para Para dance video posted earlier in the topic. The riff is as good as ever, and even gives me a hyper-techno feeling. This was the most anticipated song on the album in my eyes, and it does not disappoint; yet it is still not the best.
8/10

Psycho Killer / Luke
Let's be honest - NONE of Luca's modern songs will probably top Dreamlover or Super Rider. Luca's work on this song is mediocre at best. The riff is okay, but not great. As I am not a fan of Luca's style, I personally do not like this song that much. It is okay, but not the best.
6/10

Eurobeat Summer / Honey Hime
Yes! Honey Hime is the new generation of Eurobeat/J-Euro. The vocals are amazing, the riff works fairly well, and this just adds on to the many thrills Honey Hime has presented to the Eurobeat community. Great job, guys!
10/10

All in all, this is a very impressive complex. There were plenty of ups, such as Dejo's, Ken Martin/Manuel's, and Dream Fighters' presentations; but there were also the downs, such as Luke and Cherry's presentations. This is up there in my favorite SEB albums as of this point. Good job to everybody involved, this was awesome!

Album Score: 8/10

NOTE: I have yet to hear You're My Sexy Lover or Koiototo Amazora. Reviews for these two songs may come later.
There's No Traffic Light at the Speed of Light.

-Supersonic Hero, by Steve Holley

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 01 Nov 2020, 03:14

Fireworks
Bad Boy Blue - Love the vocals, love the harder drums and stronger bass driven pattern, and the synths are great
Crazy Disco In Tokyo - Always love Pimky's tracks. Great vocals, and strong drums/bass.
Down Down Will I Fall In Love - Love the melody & the vocals. It's very celestial.
Mighty Wind of Change - If this is the direction SCP is going, keep it up! So nice to hear them get away from the same tiring synth patterns, but shame on them for submitting, yet again, a track under 4:00.
You're My Sexy Lover - Strong vocals, strong drums/bass, and great riff melody
Highway Star - Those synths are life! The way they hold those high notes is just perfect. Nice cheesy melody, just what's eurobeat's been missing.
Stand Up 8 - I love the euromach/eurobeat flash sound of this track, and how the chorus and riff melody goes down in the notes. Please keep this up, SCP.

Sparklers:
Drifting All Night - Sound mastering knocked this one down, and how it sounds just like SEB 240 material. Great lyrics though, just wish they were clearer.
Fly Me To The Moon - Gotta give Dima props here. Still the most unsounding eurobeat, but glad he's getting the tempo back up and harder drums like his 2009 material.
Vamos Chicanos - Same SEB 230-240 sound. Stronger bass than drums. I wish they would go back to the profound drum from 90s & 2000s Hi-NRG Attack. Love the riff though.

Duds:
Psycho Killer - Not liking the Wild Reputation throw back to this track
Eurobeat Summer - Once agian, poor sound mastering knocked it down. If Bratt can master a track like "Time To Say Bye Bye" with crystal clear production, why can't all his tracks be crystal clear?
Koiototo Amazora (Tokyo Hammond Remix)- Just nope.

Brightest Track:
It's a tie between Mighty Wind of Change & Highway Star

magiblot
Eurocurious

Post by magiblot » 01 Nov 2020, 19:59

Bonkers wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 03:14 Duds:
Actually, Psycho Killer sounds closer to Maio & Co - Black Power than to Wild Reputation.

flying_corridor
Eurocurious

Post by flying_corridor » 01 Nov 2020, 21:05

Well CD ordered. £50 but eh I don't mind. Will be nice to collect the CDs moving forward even if they're once in a blue moon.

Mear
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Mear » 01 Nov 2020, 21:09

magiblot wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 19:59
Actually, Psycho Killer sounds closer to Maio & Co - Black Power than to Wild Reputation.
It makes sense. Newfield participated in the recording of this track in 1990. So "Psycho Killer" is a tribute to his work at Time Records in honor of the 30th anniversary of the series.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 02 Nov 2020, 02:21

magiblot wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 19:59
Black Power & Wild Reputation share the same riff melodies. On SEB 110 & SEB 250, both tracks are played back to back because it works so well. I like Black Power a bit more than Wild Reputation.

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 02 Nov 2020, 21:15

I asked Newfield about it, and he said he was listening to Black Power indeed. :)

flying_corridor
Eurocurious

Post by flying_corridor » 28 Nov 2020, 15:08

Arrived in the mail today, a very cool looking CD. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't come in the larger dual CD cases that they used in the past, but I suppose it's cheaper to manufacture this way especially given the way things are for SEB right now. But, I'm glad it got here and I managed to get a copy, will be giving this a listen to later on tonight.
Attachments
Screenshot_20201128-144541_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201128-144541_Gallery.jpg (425.09 KiB) Viewed 8694 times