Reccomended places to collect main SEB series?

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
flying_corridor
Eurocurious

Reccomended places to collect main SEB series?

Post by flying_corridor » 05 Sep 2020, 19:50

So I've got a small collection which is slowly growing, I'm pretty well listened to Eurobeat but am no where near to have heard everything the seires has to offer. My main strategies have been either to just buy CD's with songs I like, or buy megamix compilations to get large pools of samples to listen to, but I was wondering if people have any reccomendations on where to focus on. Usually I buy two at a time and get one CD I want and one random CD I'm less interested in, just to get some veriety in the collection.

Currently I'm working on 190-200 and 210-220, I do also want to collect 90-100 and 170-180, but I was wondering what people's reccomendations are on good points in the series to collect.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Re: Reccomended places to collect main SEB series?

Post by Bonkers » 07 Sep 2020, 21:52

I would start with the yearly Best Of's
Then collect the Non-Stop versions in the main series,
Then, start pinpointing songs you want the "extended" versions of, and start collecting the volumes around the non-stop volumes.

flying_corridor
Eurocurious

Post by flying_corridor » 07 Sep 2020, 23:28

Hmm, thanks. That's perhaps what I should start doing with the Best Of's. I already have 50 and 110. Although I have avoided the non stop mixes as I kind of like the surprise of listening to the extended CDs, where as the non stop mixes kind of ruin the surprise a little when you've already heard all the songs on the CD. I think this is why I'm enjoying 190-200 so much as they each so far have come with their own mini mix. It's not the same thing but still a nice addition to have so you get the best of both worlds.

Mear
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Mear » 08 Sep 2020, 11:33

The only problem is that a lot of the songs only appeared on the extended cd's once and were not used in non-stop mixes. You'd better listen to the tracks digitally and make a list of the cd's you want.

Phil Jay Falcon

Post by Phil Jay Falcon » 27 Nov 2020, 22:24

Mear wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 11:33 The only problem is that a lot of the songs only appeared on the extended cd's once and were not used in non-stop mixes. You'd better listen to the tracks digitally and make a list of the cd's you want.

I would never buy a whole bunch of CDs, just to be disappointed at the end, because the right song wasn't there. This would be a big mistake and just wasted money. For this we have youtube.

I did it like this: Over the years I heard all Eurobeat-Volumes and the songs I like came into my playlist. There are on youtube a few channels, who uploaded all Eurobeat-Volumes and other Eurobeat-series like Eurobeat Flash, That's Eurobeat or Maharaja Night. Then I decided to buy some of the CDs, but only with songs I really like. But I started at the very beginning or in other words, the early days of Eurobeat. Now my collection is growing bit by bit. But even in this case you have to be really sure about it. I mean, what would happen, if you suddenly don't like this song anymore? Check out all volumes and then decide, if it's really worth to buy it. I mean.... it's a expensive hobby.

Well, at least I do this that way. So, nothing is with to buy first all best of's, then the Non-Stop-Versions and then looking for extended versions, this is imo not the right way.

Mear
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Mear » 27 Nov 2020, 23:07

Phil Jay Falcon wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 22:24
Mear wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 11:33 The only problem is that a lot of the songs only appeared on the extended cd's once and were not used in non-stop mixes. You'd better listen to the tracks digitally and make a list of the cd's you want.
I would never buy a whole bunch of CDs, just to be disappointed at the end, because the right song wasn't there. This would be a big mistake and just wasted money. For this we have youtube.

I did it like this: Over the years I heard all Eurobeat-Volumes and the songs I like came into my playlist. There are on youtube a few channels, who uploaded all Eurobeat-Volumes and other Eurobeat-series like Eurobeat Flash, That's Eurobeat or Maharaja Night. Then I decided to buy some of the CDs, but only with songs I really like. But I started at the very beginning or in other words, the early days of Eurobeat. Now my collection is growing bit by bit. But even in this case you have to be really sure about it. I mean, what would happen, if you suddenly don't like this song anymore? Check out all volumes and then decide, if it's really worth to buy it. I mean.... it's a expensive hobby.

Well, at least I do this that way. So, nothing is with to buy first all best of's, then the Non-Stop-Versions and then looking for extended versions, this is imo not the right way.

I mean that at first it is better to listen to all not non-stop albums of all series and choose the most preferable ones for purchase. From my point of view, it is better to buy a compilation if you like at least a quarter or half of the tracks on it.
So if my favorite track is on a bad compilation, I won't buy it.

flying_corridor
Eurocurious

Post by flying_corridor » 28 Nov 2020, 03:11

Well I mostly started from playlists and non stop mixes that were on YT, so I came into the hobby with tracks I knew I wanted.

For example, I waited for 174 to pop up since it had both Night Of Fire and Tsunami Comes on extended, without me having to get 148 for Tsunami Comes instead. Others have came from listening to non stop mixes leading to 214 and 218, and a lot of other songs I wanted just happened to be in the 190's.

But I own much of 190 now and like it that I've decided to just complete it before moving on, as right now from what I've heard it's the only one I'm happy to have the full collection of. So I've kind of been floating around this era, the only other CD I can think that I want is 187 for Megan / Move On Now Baby before I've exhausted everything I know I like from this time.

I'm reluctant to browse the volumes digitally because I like the surprise of listening to CDs not knowing what's on them, so that's why I buy the odd random CD in my basket even if it turns out not to be very good. But I'm definitely running out of things, I know there's tracks in the 90-110's that I want so that's probably where I'll move next, so for now I still have things I know I want to invest in.

But after that I'm probably going to have to start getting the best of CDs to sample things from those large gaps, it seems like the best strategy for me from there. Either that or just continue getting more anniversary CDs.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 28 Nov 2020, 04:21

flying_corridor wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 03:11

But after that I'm probably going to have to start getting the best of CDs to sample things from those large gaps, it seems like the best strategy for me from there. Either that or just continue getting more anniversary CDs.
I would not focus on the anniversary albums for the purpose you're intending. They feature the same songs over and over again, just in a different order. I will say, SEB 160, 170, 230, 240, & 250 feature a good mix of tracks. But you can only listen to Like A Virgin, Try Me, Sunday, and Jealousy so much...

flying_corridor
Eurocurious

Post by flying_corridor » 28 Nov 2020, 14:50

Bonkers wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 04:21
flying_corridor wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 03:11

I would not focus on the anniversary albums for the purpose you're intending. They feature the same songs over and over again, just in a different order. I will say, SEB 160, 170, 230, 240, & 250 feature a good mix of tracks. But you can only listen to Like A Virgin, Try Me, Sunday, and Jealousy so much...
Lol, Jealousy is one of the tracks that I want, 103 iirc? Also "100" on 99 is something I want as well. I'd really like to have 94-99 in my collection, although I've only listened to some of the songs on those particular CDs. Note taken about anniversary CDs, if anyone have any recommendations about best ofs to buy feel free to let me know which years you think are worth listening to.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 28 Nov 2020, 16:47

flying_corridor wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 14:50

Lol, Jealousy is one of the tracks that I want, 103 iirc? Also "100" on 99 is something I want as well. I'd really like to have 94-99 in my collection, although I've only listened to some of the songs on those particular CDs. Note taken about anniversary CDs, if anyone have any recommendations about best ofs to buy feel free to let me know which years you think are worth listening to.
My fav Best Ofs are:
2009 :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

flying_corridor
Eurocurious

Post by flying_corridor » 28 Nov 2020, 16:56

Thanks I'll look them up.