How popular is Eurobeat in your area/school?

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.

see topic

Everyone and their mom
3%
Pretty popular
3%
Kinda popular
6%
Not so popular
6%
Not at all
82%

Total votes: 34

michaelz
Eurocurious

Post by michaelz » 16 Oct 2005, 23:37

In NY, a lots of initial d fans. you can find seb 90/110/120/130/101 in some stores and not to mention BookOff on 41st n- Kunokuniya on 49st might have a few.

Wataru Akiyama
Eurobeat Master

Post by Wataru Akiyama » 21 Nov 2005, 14:18

Considering I only just avoided getting beaten to death by a bunch of guys screaming "FAG" and waving baseballs bats at me last time I blasted Dave Rodgers' "The Final Countdown"...you can guess how popular it is.

Mr. Rodgers is getting his butt sued if he lands me in the hospital one day :P

Mr.F
Bad Bad Bad

Post by Mr.F » 21 Nov 2005, 21:02

were i live NO ONE has heard of it they go what are you listening to on your mp3 player and i go Eurobeat they go (well to someone ive already explained it to ) oohhh that freaky japanese techno shit right? -_-

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 22 Nov 2005, 14:15

You've explained it to them and they still refer to it as "freaky japanese techno shit"? :P
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice

Mr.F
Bad Bad Bad

Post by Mr.F » 22 Nov 2005, 21:06

yep lol :S

Toni
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Toni » 23 Nov 2005, 11:06

I have some people in my area and the rest of the Netherlands who are also diehard Eurobeat fans, like yours truly.

At an anime convention last summer I was surprised how many people like Eurobeat. The ParaParaDancing machine was constantly occupied (by 'gals') and the Eurobeat-night dancing at the local dancing bar was a blast! 8) I guess that's just the dutch spirit. We invented Happy-Hardcore, Rave (kinda) and gave Trance a new impulse (DJ Jean, Tiësto, etc.) so we're kinda used to the fast-paced music styles.

Where I study also some people listen to Eurobeat. I think it's because lots of 'em do DDR, BeatMania, watch Initial D, Ichigo 100% and whatsoever... One of 'em had his roommates pissed off because he was listening to SEB160 constantly (very loud). My girlfriend likes eurobeat and so did some of my previous girlfriends.

Unfortunately you can't find it in stores here. But, you can find Italo-disco quite easy (not in the large shops, like FreeRecordShop, though). It was one of the mainstream music types in the 80's and very early 90's. Remember the recording label "Made Up Records"? Some songs are from the Netherlands, from "Michael van de Kuy Studio's" (foreigners never can prenounce 'Kuy' :mrgreen:)
I guess in this way the Netherlands is quite unique in Western-Europe in it's music taste...
I'm on the Road Again - Powerful T.

CheeseCake! Studio
Toni Productions

Currently working on: Mega NRG Team 3

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 24 Nov 2005, 04:27

You're lucky to have the distinct advantage of living in Europe, where electronic music is respected rather than dismissed, like here in the west.

MusAshI
Bad Bad Bad

Post by MusAshI » 24 Nov 2005, 06:34

Probably more 75% of my school listens to rap, constantly (live in PA btw).

I personally can't stand it, and people would definitely go "wtf is that shit?" if anyone here ever heard a eurobeat track.

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 24 Nov 2005, 14:46

I really prefer to try not to think about how people will react to eurobeat. I like it, others like it and if the general popuilace doesn't... well... I really don't care. I play it on my CD player as loud as it will go and on the bus or subway, sometimes people look.

Maybe they're looking because they like it? Who knows?

Timmy
Euro To B

Post by Timmy » 26 Nov 2005, 03:26

I few years ago there was a radio station that sometimes played eurobeat on saturdaynights...
they were taken off the air and are now on the net I have heard... don´t know
-TIMMYTIME-

Timmy
Euro To B

Post by Timmy » 26 Nov 2005, 03:29

...most people in sweden like bullshit from america... and that old lady... madonna. it´s really saaaad with all the rap and the crapp
-TIMMYTIME-

Takarou
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Takarou » 02 Dec 2005, 20:05

There were only a few people at my high school that liked it. I introduced it to them, though, so uh, yea. ~_~; Aside from our tiny little group (4 people), nobody at the school listened to it. Not even the DDR people. .________.

ParaPara in Paradise
Bad Bad Bad

Post by ParaPara in Paradise » 02 Dec 2005, 23:28

I only know one other person at my school who even knows what eurobeat is and that's because I introduced it to her.

The DDR kids unknowingly listen to eurobeat. They never took the time to learn what kind of music is on the machines. Only that it's good ^_^

Matt-san
Bad Bad Bad

Post by Matt-san » 10 Dec 2005, 21:44

Victor wrote: I've been to CD shops in Italy and couldn't find it there either.
WTF :shock: ?! Man, Italy is Eurobeat/Eurodance land !
Cosmic_Bard wrote: That's because they don't sell them anywhere but Japan.
Hm, true (exclusive tracks) but seems quite surprising...

gs68
Euro To B

Post by gs68 » 11 Dec 2005, 21:27

I've let a few of my friends give eurobeat a listen, and they find it pretty cool.

I just don't like how some people refer to it as techno. But then again electronic music is not well-known here, resulting in quite a few generalizations about it.