Space Invader VS Space Boy [And Final Countdown]

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
aXu
The Sidekick

Post by aXu » 24 Oct 2005, 01:50

I think it sounds great through the most expensive mixer in all of europe, which they happen to own
Then they have to learn how to use it.. as simply as that, ain't it? (i doubt that they have the best mixer of all europe) :)
Case in point, if people didn't like HRG, avex would probably think twice about using them as much as they do in SEB.
Sure they got their own fans, never doubted it.
Cybersex is on the line, I'm still running in the nineties

Mikaeru
Master of Time

Post by Mikaeru » 24 Oct 2005, 03:38

In addition to AxU's comments...

Haven't heard Maid Attack, but if you're congratulating HRG on using guitars nicely, well, there's a few other labels out there that *gasp* use guitars nicely too. And guitar isn't a new thing to HRG in this song. Heck, those pics going around of the Avex Rave (or was is something else) performance of Velfarre 2000, you'll notice Rimonti there with a guitar strapped on.

The singing in HRG songs is nowhere near terrible (I know *I'm* not that good... yet...), but when you compare it to other labels...

Yes, every label generally has their own distinct sound, but still manage to do fairly different styles. In A-Beat-C it goes from the hard rock of Ace Warrior and J. Storm to the trancey Nuage, hyper Lolita/Go Go Girls and calm Norma. SCP has from Go2 to Christine to Pamsy, with the odd Scream Team to vary it up. Delta's done Dark Angels, the Niko style, Kevin Johnson's Rick Astley style. HRG has... HRG hyper and HRG less-hyper.

And I DO doubt they have the most expensive mixer in Europe. Heck, I doubt they have the most expensive in eurobeat. With Time and SAIFAM doing other styles, and the Rodgers Studio mixers are pretty darn nifty, and even SCP's Neve is fairly high end. And, as AxU (and Newfield (using mostly computer based mixing at times)) mention, it's not what you have, but how you use it.

An earlier quote:
Cosmic_Bard wrote: HRG, on the other hand, would seem to prefer to stick to their guns and release fewer unique hits.
The heck? Looked at their catalogue lately? Looked at their catalogue since they've been on SEB? Gotta be a reason there's not all that much on there. HRG *does* put out some amazing hits from time to time, but if you listen to their releases, a lot of their stuff is TOO similar. I got ParaMoo when they first released their cds, and the "new" material, well, it showed why it never made it on Euromach. Even a couple that DID make it didn't impress me much. Like Panu said referring to Vibration in a review, but it applies to HRG too, when you have so little coming out on SEB, the ones that make it ARE going to be good.
Cosmic_Bard wrote: Case in point, if people didn't like HRG, avex would probably think twice about using them as much as they do in SEB.
Conversely, if more people DID like HRG, Avex would probably think twice about using them more than once or twice a cd. (I really don't think you can use the phrase "... using them as much as they do..." when referring to HRG in SEB)

I don't want this to be a huge HRG bashing post, because I do like the occasional song they do. But personally, they are nowhere NEAR being the top label in eurobeat. Personally, I'd have rather them been kicked off instead of Vibration, had that been an option. (Although best is crowding everyone onto those 18 small tracks)

michaelz
Eurocurious

Post by michaelz » 24 Oct 2005, 03:48

It happens w/ all labels, not just HRG w/ the similarity. It just occur more often w/ hrg. hrg definitly needs to recruit new ppl "D and compose more unique melodies-

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 24 Oct 2005, 13:12

Oh, I'm by no means a sincere HRG booster, myself either. My order of preference for the labels looks like so:

ABeatC
Saifam/BBB/Asia
SCP
Vibration
Time
Hi-NRG Attack
Delta
(Sorry, Mr. Gelmetti!)

The point I was simply trying to make is that, perhaps they're not the most unique or innovative label, but they have a very distinct habit of utilizing a different style and deciding to stick to it, proud of the way they do things and not trying to pander by changing their style to suit everyone's needs.

I'm not really trying to label HRG as some sort of rogue anti-conformist type thing, but I do notice that of all the labels that have undergone slight to major style changes over the last several years, HRG seems to be fairly consistant.

I just wonder how long they'll hold out before they deem they can't work with the same stuff anymore.
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice

Sadie
Mega NRG Girl

Post by Sadie » 24 Oct 2005, 13:58

Mikaeru wrote: I don't want this to be a huge HRG bashing post, because I do like the occasional song they do. But personally, they are nowhere NEAR being the top label in eurobeat. Personally, I'd have rather them been kicked off instead of Vibration, had that been an option. (Although best is crowding everyone onto those 18 small tracks)
I must agree with this here; I'm not a huge Hi-NRG Attack person, but they do release some songs I really like from time-to-time. Still, I miss those few songs released by Vibration; Davide di Marcentonio's too good to leave out!
Energy :: Mega NRG Man Fansite

Jion

Post by Jion » 25 Oct 2005, 06:36

Not to continue the bashing but I do have to make a point...

HRG is supposed to be so extremely popular with the fans but if you notice, they only had 8 songs on 160, none of them from the SEB series. All of them too had normal range female sounding songs. Though all the labels do have similar style songs, the two biggest problems I think HRG has is 1) uses too many synths on the voices of their singers and 2) uses the same instrument for a great majority of their songs. Time suffers a lil bit of this but seems to be growing out of it. Seriously, if HRG worked with a slightly slower style (like in Eurobeat Flash or slightly faster than that) and used more instruments, and not twerked the heck out of the singers voices, you'd have a crazily good label that they can be. Kinda reminds me of what Newfield said about Dave

"the point is: D.R. use the same basic track to do many songs!!

I CANNOT stand that!! every song has to come out from the scratch!"

All eurobeat labels must do the same.
You can hate me but you know you have quality issues =p

DanWaigand
Tha Graphic Guy

Post by DanWaigand » 25 Oct 2005, 13:02

I don't know if I'd say HiNRG Attack has Horrible singing, but they definatly could use a few different voice effects now and again. I'd easily believe the joke that the only people on the label are Franz and Baby Bazooka.
Shawaazu wrote:I recently heard more of Space Invader (not from that mp3 at the start of the topic)... and I'd have to agree with Panu here, it actually doesn't really sound all the similar to Space Boy. To me at least :P And I think that voice at the start is cool :lol:
Gahh! I hate that girl's voice! Eurobeat [aBeatC specifically] is known for awesome intros and that one.. that one really lacks any type of.. blaaah. Joji? What am I saying?

....but seriously, The intention of the MP3 was only to show the contrast between the two. if you actually listen to them, you hear that though they have a similar sound, They're actually new sounds, instruments, settings, or chords. Since I spent a considerable amount of time analyzing the songs in question, i can atest to it. Bwahaha.. As for label ratings...
Cosmic_Bard wrote: ABeatC
Saifam/BBB/Asia
SCP
Vibration
Time
Hi-NRG Attack
Delta
I agree completely with one exception, Switch TIME and DELTA. I can't think of a time song I've been able to listen to completely except for DARK IN THE NIGHT 2004, but at least Delta has Dark Angels and Stephy Martini... ...then again, I might move SCP up a notch...

Ronald
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Ronald » 25 Oct 2005, 19:16

About the digital mixer at the main studio of the Rodgers Studio; I do know that it was very impressive to see and very expensive ... near 500.000 euro's (as I recall it correctly cause it was mentioned to me during my visit at the studio's, two years ago). It was a Solid State Logix Axium MT or something like that, again very impressive :D

Mikaeru
Master of Time

Post by Mikaeru » 25 Oct 2005, 20:48

Da-amn. THAT'S gotta be a niiiiiiice mixer.

SCP uses an AMS-Neve Libra Live, nice and digital, but I'm *fairly* sure it's not that much.

But then, it's quality, not quantity. But still, for half a million euros, that's gotta buy a fair chunk of quality, in the right hands.

I suppose I could just go revive the Music Production thread, but I'll just ask here, what mixers *do* all the studios use. I know Newfield mentioned using a digital mixer mostly, but when it crashed, switching to all DAW-based mixing, with a smaller Mackie for outboard monitoring, if I remember correctly.

newfield
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by newfield » 28 Oct 2005, 19:01

right!

as I told you,"Victim" arrange and mixing went thru the stereo output of my Mac...

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 03 Nov 2005, 10:46

8) All This HRG Attack bashing. I really can't think of a bad HRG song, but I can think of 10 great ones
1. Beautiful- Joe D. Toaster
2. Dee Dee Wonder- In The Land...
3. Baby One- U.S.A
4. Jeff Driller- Stop & Go
5. Mad Cow- I Want My Balailaika
6. Louis- Love Sex, Honey
7. Jay Gunner- Touch Me
8. Rikki 1- Hi Hi Baby Frankenstien
9. Mote Mote- Wow Tokyo
10.Chris- The Power Of Love

Nuff' said :D