Eurobeat / Eurodance

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Chico Chico
Bazooka Bellydancer

Eurobeat / Eurodance

Post by Chico Chico » 18 Jul 2004, 22:58

Well I know we all really like Eurobeat here (otherwise we wouldn't be here at all!), but do any of you also like the Eurodance artists? I mean, I really like Jenny Rom and The Zippers and others and sometimes their music resembles Eurobeat, but never exactly the same... (Although I consider Barbie Young Eurodance, but Cartoon Heros is hazy...)

So anyways do ya'll feel the same or are we like hardcore Eurobeaters?

:shock:

sobakasu
Eurocurious

Post by sobakasu » 19 Jul 2004, 01:14

Yep. They're both really similar. And I love my stuff on SAIFAM and Led Records :D.

I also like stuff on Next Generation, but I concider that Happy Hardcore.

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 19 Jul 2004, 13:07

Well if we wanna really talk about eurodance, then I could point out that Barbi Young and Jenny Rom aren't full blooded eurodance. The real eurodance would be artists like Solid Base, Basic Element, Pandora, E-Type and such... the two Saifam names are more of like HI-NRG music, as Eurodance itself is much slower (well not "MUCH" but still).

sobakasu
Eurocurious

Post by sobakasu » 19 Jul 2004, 22:15

Bore wrote:Well if we wanna really talk about eurodance, then I could point out that Barbi Young and Jenny Rom aren't full blooded eurodance. The real eurodance would be artists like Solid Base, Basic Element, Pandora, E-Type and such... the two Saifam names are more of like HI-NRG music, as Eurodance itself is much slower (well not "MUCH" but still).
PFFT WHAT DO YOU KNOW? XD

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 19 Jul 2004, 22:19

Well okay, the thing is that I've been on a Finnish #eurodance channel in mIRC for years now. And the people there are really picky about the genres, and the definition for eurodance has pretty much stuck with me ever since. The real eurodance definition may varie naturally, but the real genre at least wasn't originally anything like Barbie Young or Jenny Rom.

sobakasu
Eurocurious

Post by sobakasu » 19 Jul 2004, 22:23

Bore wrote:Well okay, the thing is that I've been on a Finnish #eurodance channel in mIRC for years now. And the people there are really picky about the genres, and the definition for eurodance has pretty much stuck with me ever since. The real eurodance definition may varie naturally, but the real genre at least wasn't originally anything like Barbie Young or Jenny Rom.
Well yeah, but the original Eurobeat sounds nothing like it does now. Music genres develop over time I guess. I don't know :x.

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 19 Jul 2004, 22:46

Yeah but they stopped doing eurodance in 1996 mostly... a few albums appeared after that, but Jenny Rom & Co. are too new.

euro up north
Eurobeat Fan

Post by euro up north » 20 Jul 2004, 17:08

This is an intresting discussion. Everything develops, and in the dancing genre you can see a red line, and of course a lot substyles.

Here is what i think:

What we have today, already started in the middel of the 70´s (before my time though). You hade the pure disco with Donna Summer. The genre was big until the beginning of the eitghtes. After that you hade Krafwerk, Synth (Depeche mode and stuff like that), two genres that are related to much of what we hearing today, but i feel it is more like a cousin.
The "afterdisco" in the 80`s were called pop. In the early years the first hi-nrg music came. It was called Hi-nrg, but was slow, soulish, and a little bit disco at the same time.
In the middle of the 80´s there was a real italo-disco explosion. Music that definatly has a lot to do what we here today. But what really changed the world happend 1987. That was the year whan Stock aitken Waterman became famous to the world - and was the first ever musicproducers that made the music industrial. Rick Astley topped both England and USA chart of the year. Very few has done that. It made not only Rick huge, it made his writers and producers, SAW, introduced to the world. The sound were called Eurodisco. SAW are probably one of the biggest inspiraton to the music we here today. Their technic were a decade before everyone else. And they promoted themselfs as "todays sound and tomorrows tehonology."
The sound is equal to what we call the early years of eurobeat.
SAW is behind Kylie, Big Fun, Jason Donovan, Bananarama and like 40 famous artist.
They were huge in Japan.
The peak was 1989, when almost everything SAW made, hit the top, all over the world, espercially europe and asia.
Early 90´s SAW was split up, and the euromusic, was disapperad. Everyone was tired of the music.
In 93-94 a new wave of euromusic started to turn up. The so called "eurodance" It was like eurodisco, but more aggresive, and was built on a few riffs, and a nice girls voice. The middlepart were often rap and the music were huge. At almost the same time the thing we call eurobeat started to be produced in Italy, as an own style. Probably inspired of both eurodisc, eurodance, and of cours italo-disco too.
And then in late 90`s it found its speed and sound. And that is what we still here today.

Well, this is what i belive and feel. I might have wrong.

But in the euro-category you can split the music in many styles. For me there are the styles disco (70´s), eurodisco, eurodance, eurobeat and Hi-nrg.

Brother music: Italo-disco

Cousin-music: Electro, Synth

The things that is significant for the eurostyle, is the happines. That is what brings the music-styles together.

Jion

Post by Jion » 21 Jul 2004, 00:16

that was a long reply lol
You can hate me but you know you have quality issues =p

K'
Euro To B

Post by K' » 21 Jul 2004, 16:06

But at the same time very informative, thanks!
Dancing alone tonight, out of my twisted life...

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 21 Jul 2004, 17:02

The thing here is that for most people outside of Europe (and mainly the northern parts) concern most of the dance-genres that came from Europe as Eurodance... The people who've lived here have experienced most of the differences and it's pretty easy to tell apart the different subgenres and genres. But on the other hand, nobody can really define the genres and the borderlines are shady depending on the viewer. But like Euro Up North pointed out, the whole thing has been going on really long and what I'd only count as eurodance might change with the next person. And anyways who makes up the definitions? That's rather impossible, where as I pretty much agree with the post that Euro Up North did I'd make my own changes to it.

The minor differences would be : that Eurodance began before 93... seeing one of the biggest hits like Snap - Rhythm Is A Dancer and Culture Beat - Mr. Vain are from the time pre that (okay not completley sure about Mr. Vain, but Rhythm Is A Dancer was in 91 if I'm not totally wrong [I could easily check that from google, but I'm too lazy at the moment]).

I'd really divide these similar genres pretty much the same way Euro did, the biggest difference really is the speed and the few core elements (like the male rapper/female singer in eurodance). And where as the general BPM for Eurobeat is at 155, for eurodance it's around 130-140.

riikou
Eurocurious

Post by riikou » 01 Aug 2004, 03:11

Mr. Vain... I love that song. I dunno what it is with Culture Beat, but their songs are SO catchy. I always find myself buying Tony Monaco's Euromix CD's if there's something by them on it.

And I agree with you guys on how Eurodance changed. I find the new Eurodance being more pop-ish. It might just be me, but ah well. It's all good.