167 - Worst SEB ever?

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
beat freak
Eurocurious

167 - Worst SEB ever?

Post by beat freak » 20 Apr 2006, 01:55

Okay I know that people are gonna have a different opinion than me, these are just my opinion's. Maybe I'm in a bad mood tonight but DAMN what a stinkeroo 167 is. There are maybe two fantastic songs on the CD and a few okay ones but it's chuck full of smelly tired uninspired Eurobeat tracks. The biggest disappointment comes from my favorite label A Beat C. So many great opportunities for good songs and yet so many disappointments. Let's get to the fantastic songs and was I surprised:

Go 2 - Music Come On *****
Easily the best Go 2 song and the best song on this CD. The vocalist sounds like Neil Diamond or even Jon Bon Jovi. The music is so inspirational and fun. This is a great moving song. The intro sounds like a standard pop rock song and then it segs into what SCP are great for.

Manuel - Sun In The Rain *****
Okay stupid title but great fast song. It sounds like his other stuff but I think this is his best song so far. Love the lightning fast chorus which I can barely even understand. I will be jogging the hell out of this song on the treadmill.

okay now to the okay songs
Pamsy - Walkin' In The Shadow ****
Her voice is totally lost into the production. You can barely hear her. At first I thought this song may be better than her "So Fragile" but the chorus is weak. This song may grow on me.

Jilly - Ding A Ling 2006 ***
This song is not that old so I don't know why they remade it. The song wasn't that good to begin with. So many other great Jilly songs that could have been done. Still kinda cool to here this remix.

DeLeo - Don't You Break My Heart Tonight ***
I think this may grow on me like the Phil & Linda song. But until that time, it will only get three stars from me. Nothing memorable about this one. Sounds like your above average time song.

70' Queens Feat Annalise & Virginelle - Get Up And Move It***
Huh? 70' Queens? Maybe should have been called 70's queens or '70 Queens but it's great to see Annalise back. What's weird is I don't hear her voice that much in this song. Even Virgy's voice is kinda toned down. If you remember the Go Go Girls song "Sugar Baby Love" then you know what you are in for. Very disco meets Eurodance. As much as I like this style, it doesn't work for me.

Lolita - Listen To My Heart ***
Great into but damn messed up with everything else. Cute but forgettable.

Dave & Nuage - Love Me Or Leave Me **
Okay, I'm gonna leave you. I always love these two together but this song is just boring. The instrumental is good until the vocals come on. I may change my mind again on this but I'm not feelin' it tonight with this song.

Idol - Idol **
Sophie meets Phil & Stan. Sounds like a great combination but it isn't. Really sub standard Time production. "Dancing in the sky" "Ready to Fly" "Crazy Passion Tonight". They all sounds like future or past Time songs but they are the typical lyrics that are in this song.

Karen - Lost In The World *
What a fucking mess of a song. How Dave can make a song that sounds both over produced and unfinished is amazing. He gets one star just for that reason. I think Karen has gone over the hill, she sounds so old on this song. She actually gets off key on the chorus. The into is very new age. This is easily the worst Karen song, worse than "Fly To The Sky" or "Untouchable Lover".

The other songs get zero stars:
Priscilla - Heart And Go
Madison - Remind Me To Forget (her last song was phenomenal this is a disaster)
Kevin & Cherry - Chemical Love. People are gonna love this song cause it's so fast and it was on Initial D, but it's so cold and sterile. Is this song about drugs? I hate this song. Kevin's track record has been great until this one. Nothing can save it and the only thing that makes it good is that it's better than...
Joe D. Toaster - Sex Gun. If I had a sex gun I'd put it to the head of Joe and fire. This is the exact same HRG song they made 10 years ago. They have not progressed with their song at all. But what makes this song good is that at least it's better than....
Mad Cow & The Harajuku Angels - Harajuku Girl. First of all the intro hurts my ears. Again there is no progression of sound with HRG songs.

I have left off Susy and The Bombers cause these songs have been available on SAIFAM's site for a while. Both songs gets *** stars from me.

Okay I know that people are gonna have a different opinion than me, these are just my opinion's. Yes I know I repeated this statement twice :)

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 20 Apr 2006, 06:02

Mmmm well I do agree with you to certain extent here. The album is by far nothing great or even "good", but it does have it highlights. As you said Chemical Love will please many people and it did please me. I can only name like 4 songs that I _really_ liked from the album, which is less than a general SEB has.

Kevin & Cherry - Chemical Love
Christine - Yeah!
Jilly - Ding A Ling 2006
Pamsy - Walkin' In The Rain

Then there were quite a few nice songs but songs I'll probably forget in a week or two. Oh and I do agree that A-Beat C didn't really shine here like they usually do. Manuel & Lolita were alright but not up to their usual standards (for me anyways). HI-NRG Attack surprises yet again with maybe their crappiest songs to date on SEB. Really can't listen to either of the songs as they're just carbonate copies of old productions, just gone awfully wrong.

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 20 Apr 2006, 07:24

Wow... that's not what I expected from anyone! XD So far I love this album, almost as much as 164 :D

I am so happy they redid Ding A Ling to a 200x mix, this song has always been a favorite of mine and the remake renewed my liking for it quite a bit.

Chemical Love, in my opinion, is the BEST SONG from Delta in a LONG TIME. Words can't describe how hot in the pants this song makes me! XD I loooooove it so much, and not because it has anything to do with Initial D or whatever (I didn't even know it was in that anime, lol - and I hate Initial D too, haha)

I must admit though, Get Up and Move It was a slight disappointment, because I expected to hear a lot of Annerley Gordon in it. (as Annalise is in the artist alias, lol) Other than that, it's quite enjoyable and a cool sound for Elena. Btw, what's with the beginning? 70' Queens? Is that an Avex typo? I highy doubt ABeatC would call a group 70 foot Queens. XD

I enjoy Yeah! quite a bit too, but the only problem I have is that it's a tad too slow. That's nothing a music editor can't fix though. :D (I did this with Big In The Night way back when it was released, making the song 160BPM made the song a hell of a lot better to my ears.) Also, from listening to the Hioni Team cover of it, the lyrics seem quite odd (like, how it would be if you were to tag English lyrics to a J-Pop song)

Music Come On is kinda queer... it's not quite what I expected from Go2 at all - it would have been better if it was (Ace & Insert Any Female SCP Singer) than an Ace and Fastway song. I didn't enjoy this song.

Walking In The Shadow isn't as great as Pamsy's other songs, but the chorus is really makes the song great to listen to.

Susy's song is just another BBB song to me - it's not bad, but it's nothing special and there's better BBB out there.

I haven't had much of a chance to listen to the other tracks more closely, but I can say that Harajuku Girl was a POS and the Dave & Nuage song was is a huge let down compaired to Don't Make Me Cry. If they used the format they used for Dave & Domino songs, the lovey-dubby Dave and girl duet songs probably would be a bit better to me.
Last edited by Nine on 20 Apr 2006, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 20 Apr 2006, 07:56

Nine wrote :
Words can't describe how hot in the pants this song makes me!

I don't know about the rest of the cd, but I laughed hard and loud when I saw these words. I have no idea what that means, but it's definatly positive thing to say about "Chemeical Love"

Beat Freak wrote
Idol - Idol **
Sophie meets Phil & Stan. Sounds like a great combination but it isn't. Really sub standard Time production. "Dancing in the sky" "Ready to Fly" "Crazy Passion Tonight". They all sounds like future or past Time songs but they are the typical lyrics that are in this song.
I love TIME, but this was also pretty funny and partly tru: Actually here are the names
1. Are You Ready To Fly- Sophie
2. Love & Fever Tonite- Toby Ash
3. Riding In The Sky- Linda Ross

Sorry I'm in a good mood :D[/quote]

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 20 Apr 2006, 09:08

Okay, I think you might be in a bit of a bad mood as this SEB is easily the best of the 160s thus far! I can honestly say there isn't a single song that I don't enjoy for one reason or another, and that's highly unusual for me! :lol:

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 20 Apr 2006, 09:44

8) Ok. So I post my review. I disagree and Ditz has a strong point! it is beyond good and even Manuel's song I love.

Quick reviews are in right now, so I do one too. Anyone else notice that the quicker we review a cd, the quicker the next one comes out?

I'll mention the stanout tracks for me, though I agree this is a rather great sounding cd. I felt really satisfied like a great italian Buffett. Ha !

1. Disco Energy- Bombers. This song is old to some of us and again the edit is Blah, but I always think "Virtual Love" Ken Martin nand it becomes my fav.10/10

2. Music Comon- GOTO- I know I joke and Joke, but this is good song. Counting Crows...so true Shin! I loved "Moon Child" by Ace. It is the slower of GOTOs song, but exellently done. However, not a duet for ACe and Fastway. It makes them seem too "Chumy" for lack of saying "gay".9/10

3. Idol- Idol- I built this up so much, that it sounded incredible the moment it started playing. A mellow song with an Ending. I like that. I compare it to a Deleo and Kassanova song rolled into one. 9/10

4. Sex Gun- Joe D. Toaster. Just repeat that title over and over and it's a hit for me. Yeah . Lucky Doom all over again. Without looking at the lyrics, my thoughts are WTF is he singing. I'm listening to this as I write it and could become my fav!!! Intence, agressive and Insane. ADICTIVE! 10/10

5. Chemical Love-Kevin & Cherry. This takes me back to "Happy Phantom" days. It's so FRESH in the keys department. I know I have heard the melody, it still sound new to me. Why this duo ever released "Criminals" is beyond me. Anyways this is the best DELTA I have heard in a while. There is a light at post-Newfield DELTA.9/10

6. Don't You Break My Heart Tonite-DeLeo. Someone said I would like this. So Tru!! reminds me of "Love Is Freedom". Nothing new going on .but it flows nicly with the catchy beat and pleasant vocals.8/10

7. Ding A Ling- Jilly. A mix of that song and "Hai Go"- Vanessa. It's a bit faster than original, but I like the extra effects much like "Dark In The Night 2005" Still itr seems like too easy a task!! 8/10.

8. Harajuko Girl- Mad Cow. This is another great track. Pumpy, catchy, agressive, but I'm still so addicted to "Maid Attack", Lucky Doom " and now "Sex Gun" that this Mad Cow effort seemed a bit mellow. ha Ha I used the word Mellow to describe HRG song. I'm crazy like that!8/10

9. Give Me A Chance- Susy. I have this extended version. What can I say it's SAIFAM. They ,(like TIME) cannot let me down. I love to turn up the bass on this song because it's a mix of agressive (The Versus) and Happy(the Chorus) at the same time. Please AVEX pick "Hey Guy" -Laurie for the 170's 10/10

10. Sun In The Rain- Manuel. WTF, Manuel in my top 10 songs. Yess! This song is really good. Not since "Please Don't Go" I do not like Manuel at all(sorry manuel fans), but this is FAST! and the Synths are AWESOME. Nothing with the title sugests. When I like a song a spare no praises.9/10

The rest of the songs are nice , but below grade 8 for me. I could listen while I shower or something, but do not get my special attention. Overall a very good compilation with some outstanding compositions from all labels. TIME, HRG and Saifam do not surprise me, because they are allways great, but I have to say Manuel and GOTO knocked me off my feet. In a "TUFF" way. What I really enjoyed about this cd is that every label contributed a song in my TOP 10.

Ebisumaru
Eurocurious

Post by Ebisumaru » 20 Apr 2006, 15:08

I'm really picky, I only like 3/4 songs out of each album. This time, I love Chemical Love, Yeah!, Sun In The Rain, and Disco Energy.

uberuser
Euro To B

*phew*

Post by uberuser » 20 Apr 2006, 17:06

yikes!, I'm glad everyone else had a different opinion than the first poster or else I would have thought I wasted $40 on a tasteless album!. I'll give you all my input once 167 arrives and I listen to the entire thing :D.
"Dance or Die
Running the risk
cause my heart is hung on a wire
Throw the dice
Spinning the disk
Music leading my soooul"
<b><i>-Mad Max - Dance in the Fire</i></b>

michaelz
Eurocurious

Post by michaelz » 21 Apr 2006, 05:35

worst seb..? :D what r u talkin about?? you haven't seem the ...

Chemical love ****1/2
Sun in the Rain ****
Idol****
and "Get Up And Move It"**** has that 70s disco mood, the title fits w/ the song nicely..get up and move it :D !
this album's just a regular along the road ...

Sir Christof
Bad Bad Bad

Post by Sir Christof » 21 Apr 2006, 07:24

Different strokes for different folks :wink:

Feel free to state your negative opinion but no need to poop on 167 so much. I happen to like it. Slightly less than an average SEB...but certainly not dislike :)

Jay
God of Romance

Post by Jay » 21 Apr 2006, 07:55

I found this SEB to be the best of the 160's as well. The tracklisting was very nice, and there were only two songs that I didn't have really high expectations for. Those songs ended up being the ones I hated the most on the album too. ;)

Madison / Remind Me To Forget : Haha, that title is so true. Those vocals were terrible, and quite frankly I have not heard many other eurobeat songs that degrade to this level. I didn't really care for this song when I saw it on the tracklisting, but I never knew it would turn out this bad. Her previous songs were actually decent, this is one is simply trash.

Priscilla / Heart And Go : Just flows along like the average Moroni song; nothing memorable, and just does absolutely nothing for me.

Those two aside, I found nothing wrong with the rest. The two real treasures on this album were definitely Manuel and Pamsy. Just simply awesome. Idol, Susy, and Kevin & Cherry followed very closely. The rest are very good too.

Ricfiam
Eurobeat Master

Post by Ricfiam » 22 Apr 2006, 06:54

I like too the most of the songs.
...I remember that time...
D I A B O L I K

jeurobeat
God of Romance

Post by jeurobeat » 28 Apr 2006, 18:55

I don't understand your problems with the Madison song. It is GREAT! The best female vocalist currently around. In my opinion "Remind me to forget" is one of the best Eurobeat tracks since Walk A Mile In My Shoes.

So far, these are my favorites:

1 Madison - Remind Me To Forget
2 Mad Cow - Harajuku Girl

Hmmm... that's about it. The rest is rather boring, actually (except for Idol, De Leo and Bombers, which are nice). I certainly don't understand the fuzz about Manuel, Kevin & Cherry... not my taste.

taQ
Eurobeat Master

Post by taQ » 28 Apr 2006, 20:31

thats because walk a mile in my shoes and remind me to forget sound the same. both leonardi tracks, both the same vocalist. This is what happens when Leonardi makes songs for artists that Gelmetti originals created.

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 28 Apr 2006, 20:34

After finally receiving it and listening to it, suprisingly enough (to me at least) Idol is my favortie track off the album. Overall, a pretty good SEB, comes right after 164 IMO.