Effective way to use samples?

Discussion about Eurobeat making. Hints & Tips, Eurobeat projects, programs, plug-ins, samples and so on.
Darkholme
Eurobeat Master

Effective way to use samples?

Post by Darkholme » 10 Oct 2012, 16:11

I've been using Newfield's Eurokit for a while now and while it's absolutely amazing and contains some true gems, finding a way to use them properly has proven to be a bit tricky.

Is there any plugin for FL Studio that you can load several samples into so you can change the length and layer properly in the piano roll? (otherwise playing a sample from the JD800 will result in it playing the same note for 7 seconds :razz: )

Bass is pretty much the same thing. Without a plugin like that it's very difficult to get that tight and compact bass sound in later eurobeat (or the funky bass in earlier works)

Any tips, recommendations? What do you guys use?

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 10 Oct 2012, 18:54

It sounds like you could bring the Release down or change it from a one-shot clip status (where it plays the entire sample, no questions asked, upon pressed key). Sadly I don't use FL Studio's sampler so I'm not sure how this is achieved.
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

Mindsweeper
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Mindsweeper » 11 Oct 2012, 06:45

Yes, DirectWave comes with FL and lets you do all that. I've barely used it so I forgot exactly how to set it up though.

If you want to play just a single sample, but have it release when you let go of the note instead of trailing off for the entire length of the sample, you could just drop the sample into the step sequencer, (not the playlist) and it should have some settings like this:

Basically that curve is what the volume will do when you hit the note, play around with the knobs in the rectangle and I think you'll get it after a minute or two. :)

Also, I was thinking of buying Newfield's kit too, what kind of sounds are in it?[/img]

Darkholme
Eurobeat Master

Post by Darkholme » 11 Oct 2012, 08:01

I think I'll be trying DirectWave! I've already tried Channel Settings, the problem is that each channel would have to to modified again and again depending on the length you want. Not to mention one sample per channel which I think would clutter up the sequencer. Still a newbie though so I might be wrong :grin:

I also found just dropping the sample into the playlist works pretty well, though getting the length just right would require a ton of time-consuming tweaking. But if that's what it takes to make a kickass riff then challenge accepted!