Being a Eurobeat vocalist

Discussion about Eurobeat making. Hints & Tips, Eurobeat projects, programs, plug-ins, samples and so on.
ARIEL
Bad Bad Bad

Being a Eurobeat vocalist

Post by ARIEL » 11 Jun 2015, 18:23

Hi, I'm new here. I'm glad that I've managed to find some place to interact with other fans of Eurobeat; I've found that the genre seldom gets discussed in any sort of circle - even on the internet. You can probably relate.

Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone has any experience of singing Eurobeat, or perhaps working with Eurobeat singers? I'd be grateful for some wisdom about how to get into such a pursuit. It's something that I'm interested in but again, have no idea whatsoever about how to act on it, if I even can...

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Re: Being a Eurobeat vocalist

Post by zoupzuop2 » 12 Jun 2015, 02:20

ARIEL wrote:Hi, I'm new here. I'm glad that I've managed to find some place to interact with other fans of Eurobeat; I've found that the genre seldom gets discussed in any sort of circle - even on the internet. You can probably relate.

Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone has any experience of singing Eurobeat, or perhaps working with Eurobeat singers? I'd be grateful for some wisdom about how to get into such a pursuit. It's something that I'm interested in but again, have no idea whatsoever about how to act on it, if I even can...
Hello! I've performed that function in a few ways. Is there a particular context you're looking for? Singing for Avex-signed labels, for independent productions, just singing on your own stuff?
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

ARIEL
Bad Bad Bad

Post by ARIEL » 12 Jun 2015, 11:30

Thanks for your reply! More for the former two options, I imagine. I don't really have the facility or the time to compose my own music, sadly.

eXtaticus
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by eXtaticus » 14 Jun 2015, 01:59

-redacted-
Last edited by eXtaticus on 19 Dec 2017, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.

ARIEL
Bad Bad Bad

Post by ARIEL » 15 Jun 2015, 19:08

Yeah, I'm from the UK! Not many others around, hm?

The latter link you embedded doesn't seem to be working, but your finished product impresses me. Please let me know if I can ever help you, and as you say, you can help me. :)

And I saw Sugano's thread and contacted him, thanks. I'm keeping my eyes open on here generally, for opportunities...

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 16 Jun 2015, 02:52

ARIEL wrote:Thanks for your reply! More for the former two options, I imagine. I don't really have the facility or the time to compose my own music, sadly.
Okay!

TL;DR: Reach out to producers with previous work that shows you'd be a great vocalist for them to work with. Be prepared to re-record, even if you sent good work the first time. Record as soon as you know you need to, if your schedule permits (ESPECIALLY if they're on a deadline).

With Avex-signed labels, it's a matter of approaching your favorites with proof that you have vocal flexibility and would deliver release-ready vocals with minimal editing. This means having accurate pitch control and a generally pop-friendly tone. There are exceptions, and in Eurobeat it's okay to have a unique tone! But in general, if you're easy to listen to in other genres and can sing accurately with energy (and have done so on previously marketed releases, and/or understand what makes eurobeat distinct), you have a foot in the door.

Of course, this takes a token amount of work before waltzing up to your favorite label's producer/owner and going "PLS GIB JOB THX". If you don't already have some proof that the work they'd do with your voice would bring some return on investment, it's worth taking the time to build a repertoire, which often means working with independent producers.

(One important note here if payment is important— and it is absolutely reasonable and ethical to be thinking about this, as long as it's not your sole motivator— I do NOT know how well specific vocalists are paid for Avex work. I have only received pay based on royalties from composing and writing works, so I don't know the rate a session vocalist [which is basically what eurobeat vocalists are] is paid for eurobeat-related work. I would venture that it is a one-time fee, received upon successful delivery of all the vocal recordings necessary to complete the song. Expect to re-record, even if you sent absolute fire the first time.)

Independent artists are much easier to reach— much the same approach, the more previous work you have the better, but they're generally more stressed for access to vocalists. If you match what they're looking for, chances are WAY more likely you can feature on their work. This is often a case of you-scratch-their-back-they-scratch-yours— they feature you and promote your vocal work, and it's good of you to promote their other works in return. Depending on your professional relationships with smaller acts, you may end up becoming a more established part of their roster, which is VERY good for being in contact with an Avex-based label (unless you're exclusive to that indie label)!

Now, this introduces a circular problem— how do I GET work if I NEED work to show up? The answer to this is fortunately a lot simpler than the same circular problem of, say, the job market— record covers over instrumentals, sing in other styles, whatever it takes to build up a body of work that demonstrates to the people who would feature you that they're working with a good vocalist.

Once you have the gig... record your vocals. Soon. Many labels and acts are on a deadline to produce and publish the track you're on, so record early, record several takes, and send them ALL to the producer, in a lossless format, with no effects on them (or minimal dynamics, mixing, and pitch if you're in a hurry). They will very likely ask you for more. Record again, send again. They aren't meaning to insult you if they ask for a re-record; they just likely have something specific in mind, and will try to get that out of you if possible (hopefully they're good at explaining WHAT that 'something specific' is).

That's... all I can think of for now! It takes steeping oneself in the scene to fully grasp it, but the only way to start is to... well, start, even if it's starting small and on someone else's work, just to have one piece of evidence that you sing in a way they want on their track.
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

ARIEL
Bad Bad Bad

Post by ARIEL » 16 Jun 2015, 17:13

Thank you so much, (Odyssey, is it?) - for such a comprehensive reply. That was really helpful! I already feel like I understand the scene more.

One follow-up question I have that I hope someone can answer: is there a common method for seeking out independent artists? Would I just find many of them on here?

KiraTM
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by KiraTM » 16 Jun 2015, 20:08

There aren't many (indie) Eurobeat producers here. You should search for Eurobeat on YouTube, Facebook or SoundCloud. I don't now if there's a list of independent producers online.

You may take a look on Eurobeat Forever: http://eurobeatforever.bandcamp.com/
The project seemed to be dead for years but it will be active again (hopefully!). EBF is a compilation of Indie Eurobeat from several labels. A list of participated labels is under the release date of EBF Vol. 1. You could contact some of them.

Darkholme
Eurobeat Master

Post by Darkholme » 16 Jun 2015, 21:00

I've been singing as a hobby for years and years (no formal training) but thanks to this thread I'm really thinking about getting a mic and recording some eurobeat covers and sending them out.

I can't produce for shit but I'm dying to contribute something to the scene
DANGEROSS! GOT TO FESS DE RESS!