Super Eurobeat 197

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 11 May 2009, 12:37

Everyone who's complaining about it being mixed like crap;

HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO MAKE A EUROBEAT MIX, AND MAKE IT SOUND OKAY?! ANY IDEA HOW FRICKING HARD IT IS TO MIX IT LIKE YOU WOULD MIX HOUSE MUSIC?! >: O!!!

And there was a time where there were a damn lot of non-stops, and nobody complained (right?). Euromach for example. Or the last non-anniversary SEB that was nonstop, vol. 165. Or go back to the 130's/140's. Half of those albums are non-stops. :\ You're just spoiled! >: (

That's all from me right now. Still waiting for my SEB to arrive. And yes, I dare to make that first statement without even having to listen to the darn thing.

DJ Mike TJG
Eurohero

Post by DJ Mike TJG » 11 May 2009, 14:20

There was a time when Avex's megamixes were very fun to listen to. These days it just sounds like they really aren't trying very hard. It's probably more that some of their DJs do it better than others. I really don't pay attention to who does which mix very much so I couldn't tell you specifically which DJs are better.

And stop with this blithering about how there used to be megamixes every 2-3 albums. We're all fully aware of that! But those albums almost never (with the occasional exception) had new material, and certainly no more than a couple of unreleased tracks. Rather, they were a megamix recap of the previous couple of albums. I actually quite enjoyed those, as they were both creative and a nice way to listen to the material. On the other hand, I never used to pay full price for them, as they seemed rather a waste compared to having just paid for the new material only a couple of months earlier.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 11 May 2009, 14:53

DJ Mike TJG wrote:And stop with this blithering about how there used to be megamixes every 2-3 albums. We're all fully aware of that! But those albums almost never (with the occasional exception) had new material, and certainly no more than a couple of unreleased tracks. Rather, they were a megamix recap of the previous couple of albums. I actually quite enjoyed those, as they were both creative and a nice way to listen to the material. On the other hand, I never used to pay full price for them, as they seemed rather a waste compared to having just paid for the new material only a couple of months earlier.
That sums up what I think...

On the megamix quality side... I was quite surprised. The mix is pretty good (for SEB 197 lol...). Much better than anything on the past albums with the exception of SEB 194's megamix track.

@ Mudkip -> I know how it is to mix nowadays' Eurobeat... hard as hell but it's fun :)
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

DJ Mike TJG
Eurohero

Post by DJ Mike TJG » 11 May 2009, 16:09

What gets me is that, sometimes, Avex DJs use the instrumental/vocal-only versions of songs to very great effect, really blending songs together seamlessly - other times they go way overboard on the sound effects and make the transition into a horrible mess. But I'll give them kudos for trying - some songs really just don't gel. ;)

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 11 May 2009, 17:27

You can't blame the djs. I think the series producer (what was her name again?) just selects a few songs, and just orders the djs to mix it into something awesome. And when you can't really choose songs that blend into eachother, you're forced to use those effects.

I do like those effects, by the way.

Brisk
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Brisk » 11 May 2009, 18:12

Back to 197, I honestly thought that Don't Let Me Go should've been in the beginning of the megamix with the better newer songs, as it was the only good new song not in the first half. The second half was so dreadful, A Flash in The Light is probably the first Dima song that really bored me.

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 12 May 2009, 01:22

Don't....LEETTT ME GOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I adore that track - it's definitely my favourite from this disc. I'm hoping that I can pick up a copy when I have the chance to visit HMV or Tower on my return to Tokyo (I'm just about to head to Takayama on the bullet train).

Oh, and I heard a car blasting out Harajuku Nights....in Harajuku!! That's one of the things that most amused me so far. Of course, no-one else on the trip I'm doing really got it - there are anime lovers, but no other Eurobeat fans. :P

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 12 May 2009, 02:27

the_ditz wrote:Don't....LEETTT ME GOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I adore that track - it's definitely my favourite from this disc. I'm hoping that I can pick up a copy when I have the chance to visit HMV or Tower on my return to Tokyo (I'm just about to head to Takayama on the bullet train).

Oh, and I heard a car blasting out Harajuku Nights....in Harajuku!! That's one of the things that most amused me so far. Of course, no-one else on the trip I'm doing really got it - there are anime lovers, but no other Eurobeat fans. :P
[OFFTOPIC] Oh man! I wish you could buy me some J-albums :( [/OFFTOPIC]
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Sadie
Mega NRG Girl

Post by Sadie » 12 May 2009, 05:14

cheeseman wrote:Yay, Tomas Marin now sings for Dima too! :!:
Well, either that, or Go Go's invented yet another alias for him... xP
Also, I should have expected Jordan to be Giordano Gambogi... I wonder why this never crossed my mind.
Ah, great track... Tomas is sure getting around. :O! Fantastic~
I need to get a host and move my page off of geocities asap... And update it, a lot...
I need to come here more consistently again... o__o
Energy :: Mega NRG Man Fansite

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 12 May 2009, 06:16

DJ Mike TJG
Radio edits generally only cut out the "breakdown" sections of the song, but at least kept the basic structure of the song intact, without the gimmicky hacking around that Avex's megamix DJs tend to use - skipping the intro/build-up, moving the chorus, skipping instrumentals, inserting random riffs, using extra sound effects, repeating bars of the song, the "stutter" effect (where the songs suddenly turns into random white noise), messing around with the instrumental by chopping and changing bits of it, messing around with the vocals, flanging bits of the song, and in the highest offence of all: occasionally leaving out the verses altogether.

Have I missed anything?
I prefer the old skool mixing style. Just play the vinyl untill the break and perform a smooth transition with the other vinyl.

The mix really wasn't all that bad. The older classics got more justice. Bad Boy made a cameo appearance in Roppongi Nights and so Did Heartbreaker on Sledgehammer . Coincedently those two are my favourite classics on the cd.

To my ears it sounded like the new songs got pretty crappy mixes. It sounded like they mixed each new song in on the previous song's outro. very lazy to my ears.

Anyone else agree that Dave's Fire Dragon is freaking Epic. I love that song on all levels :D

...and I will be doing a review on the entire cd song by song 8)

Jay
God of Romance

Post by Jay » 12 May 2009, 08:39

drnrg wrote:Anyone else agree that Dave's Fire Dragon is freaking Epic. I love that song on all levels
If A-Beat C can keep pumping out songs like this, then I doubt they're in danger of being outshone by the newer labels.

The majority of songs on this album were exceptional. Actually, the only new song that disappointed me was 'Loved in Tokyo.' If this really is a Dima Music production, I'm shocked. If anything, it sounds like VERY EARLY Vibration back when Dima was an amateur producer. There was no flow whatsoever between the chorus and verses, which was what irritated me the most. Definitely the oddball on the album and in the Dima Music catalogue.

WNight
Euroheater

Post by WNight » 12 May 2009, 08:41

drnrg wrote:Anyone else agree that Dave's Fire Dragon is freaking Epic. I love that song on all levels :D
I quote myself :
WNight wrote:Dave just keeps getting better IMO, "Fire Dragon" is not only the best ABC song released in the 19x, It is quite possibly one of the best eurobeat songs released to date (Again, IMO), Taking over "Space Boy Grand Mix" and by a little bit, "Burning Like Fire". I hope this streak of awesomeness continues, Cos these songs are way too good.
You can't go wrong with Futura and Dave working on this song. :grin:
You and me like a fire tonight
Me and you 2 guardian angels
Now I feel your touch into my heart
A ray of sun~

- Guardian Angels / Oceania

DJ Mike TJG
Eurohero

Post by DJ Mike TJG » 12 May 2009, 10:36

Jay wrote:it sounds like VERY EARLY Vibration back when Dima was an amateur producer. There was no flow whatsoever between the chorus and verses...
Say what?!

I'm not sure which songs you're talking about here... if you actually mean where Dima was producing Vibration stuff, he didn't start doing this until around the mid-Vibration catalogue (roundabout VIB-080), which includes:

Elisa / Lost Into The Night
Jackie 'O / X-Man Story
Jimmy Bravo / Samurai

But if you mean where he was writing stuff... well, he didn't do a lot of that before then producing, but there is:

Dee Dee / Hey Hey Baby Cry
Dee Dee / Forever Wild

Two of my favourite Vibration tracks, and certainly very far fetched from poor writing examples! ;)

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 12 May 2009, 14:41

DJ Mike TJG wrote:I'm not sure which songs you're talking about here... if you actually mean where Dima was producing Vibration stuff, he didn't start doing this until around the mid-Vibration catalogue (roundabout VIB-080), which includes:

Elisa / Lost Into The Night
Jackie 'O / X-Man Story
Jimmy Bravo / Samurai
Either way, even some of the earliest impressed me quite a lot. Some examples:
- You Belong To Me / Regina
- Good Time / Betty Blue
- Be My Lover / Maria Valentino
- Leader Of The Game / Donna Lee
- Love Hotel / Regina
- Heroes Tonight / David Bird
- Big Mig / Jackie 'O
- Diablo Man / Jimmy Bravo
- Burning In The Night / Betty Blue
- Warrior / Jackie 'O

I do agree with Jay that a large bulk of the first Vibration songs weren't the best-produced, but I still had to defend some of my favorite songs from the label that were produced from around 1996 to 1997.
ImageImage

jeurobeat
God of Romance

Post by jeurobeat » 12 May 2009, 20:19

Vibration was great, especially the early catalog with Caria or Ferraris on production side. As Mike already mentioned, Dima did not produce anything back then. I don't see any resemblance with Loved In Tokyo with any early Vibration track, by the way.