Dunno how to present this song of mine...

Discussion about Eurobeat making. Hints & Tips, Eurobeat projects, programs, plug-ins, samples and so on.
Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Dunno how to present this song of mine...

Post by Lebon14 » 10 May 2009, 02:13

Well, I just made this one song with Dance Ejay 7. The software is FAR from being a professional one. I've tried to make a "Eurobeat-ish" sounding song. The result was pretty OK. I tried to follow the eurobeat formula although that there aren't any standard intro.

Most of the sounds I use for the "riff" are made by me (50% of the sounds). The vocals are actually synths because actual vocals in Dance 7 are totally BS. I made those synths myself.

I've spent probably a good 3 hours on it. I know that it is not a lot for song.

So...
Format : Lossless FLAC
Bitrate : 797kbps
Length : 4:44
Size : 27MB
Download link : Click here

Feel free to remix and/or share this song.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Re: Dunno how to present this song of mine...

Post by zoupzuop2 » 10 May 2009, 03:40

Lebon14 wrote:Well, I just made this one song with Dance Ejay 7. The software is FAR from being a professional one. I've tried to make a "Eurobeat-ish" sounding song. The result was pretty OK. I tried to follow the eurobeat formula although that there aren't any standard intro.

Most of the sounds I use for the "riff" are made by me (50% of the sounds). The vocals are actually synths because actual vocals in Dance 7 are totally BS. I made those synths myself.

I've spent probably a good 3 hours on it. I know that it is not a lot for song.

So...
Format : Lossless FLAC
Bitrate : 797kbps
Length : 4:44
Size : 27MB
Download link : Click here

Feel free to remix and/or share this song.
Welcome to the club. :3

It certainly does give off a circus-like vibe, so that much is in fact a success! A few things that hit me right off the bat is, while it definitely has the telltale beat down, the hi-hat is often a bit more prominent in the mix of Eurobeat. If there's any way to boost the volume of the hi-hat (open), boosting that would MUCH improve the "Eurobeat feel".
As well, I'm afraid I can't hear the oft-used bass on the "and" of each beat (one AND two AND three AND four AND, usually on the same beat as the hi-hat). Try pronouncing that a bit more.
The melody is trying to get out, but the synth choices make it hard to hear the riff as a whole.

You're off to a good start, for sure! Please continue in your efforts.
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 12 May 2009, 02:29

thanks zoupzuop. I've corrected what you said. I've added th hats and changed the bass (yes there was bass). The bass sounds kinda awkward but it's the only one I was satisfied of.

FLAC v2 is uploading.

EDIT

HERE
Last edited by Lebon14 on 12 May 2009, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 12 May 2009, 02:58

Why flac? I can do with a v2 mp3. Easier for the download. ;x

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 12 May 2009, 03:02

MKwiakaku wrote:Why flac? I can do with a v2 mp3. Easier for the download. ;x
Becoz I care for the quality of my audio dot
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 12 May 2009, 04:57

I can hear the difference! It's now a good bit closer to the Eurobeat sound.
Ready to hear an odd request on that note though?

If it's possible, tune up the bass on the "ands" even MORE. I'm not talking ABeatC/Modern Delta levels, but Eurobeat indulges in a couple of excesses in terms of what defines itself as a genre.
Also, if there's a way to have "stabs" on the same beat as the bass, ones that match the chord you're working in, that will only increase the Eurobeat-ness.
The sound choice for the riff is also somewhat weak. It lacks sustain; It seems to last only for a moment. In most cases, the synth brass most Eurobeat works with has much more sustain. Think of it more like a "biting organ" than a "saw-y bell"— The riff sound needs to go as long as the producer needs it to, to get the riff itself across. The "bell" approach has its uses too, particularly in Aishu or slower songs ("Flying Around the World", for instance, or most of the Rick Castle catalog), but the most common one, I've found, is General MIDI patch 82, Sawtooth. Try tooling with that sound a bit, and see which you think fits the song better.

On a less Eurobeat-specific note, I don't mean this the wrong way, but the riff/vocal ideas you have in mind are not in the same key as the background chords, in most cases. This may be what you're going for, and if that's the case then it works beautifully (it definitely gives the title good reason for being as it is). But do recall that, as Eurobeat is also a form of pop, it's often engineered to be easy to listen to, more than interesting to ponder or unique.

One tip I've received is to try to remake/emulate songs that already exist. Listen to what you like about them, and listen to what you DON'T like about them. While you definitely have the production part down, consider reflecting on the core music elements to songs you already listen to. Then incorporate the elements you like/find easy to emulate into your own works and see how they turn out. :3
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 12 May 2009, 11:35

Hmm... huh... didn't you read? I've made this using Dane eJay 7... it has the most awkward sounds ever... Also, it's very limited in editing. I have to do that with Audition. I know that it could sound more "Eurobeat" but... the software I use is VERY limited.

...only if someone would like to learn me Fruity Loop...
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 13 May 2009, 02:08

Lebon14 wrote:Hmm... huh... didn't you read? I've made this using Dane eJay 7... it has the most awkward sounds ever... Also, it's very limited in editing. I have to do that with Audition. I know that it could sound more "Eurobeat" but... the software I use is VERY limited.

...only if someone would like to learn me Fruity Loop...
I did read it, I don't know what it's capable of but it's actually more professional-sounding than what I have to work with (I.E, doesn't sound like General MIDI by default). I'm not aware of what Dance eJay 7 is/isn't capable of, but there's almost always a way to work around the shortcomings of the software. It may take time but it's definitely doable.

If Dance eJay is truly that rigid, I recommend working with a MIDI sequencer like MIDISoft Studio 4, to at least get your hands on more basic instruments and a software/hardware standard that is still very alive and well. (If you do go this route, a quick way to start in terms of instrumentation is Track 1 >> Patch 81 (Sawtooth), Track 2 >> Patch 34 (Pick Bass), Track 3 >> Patch 3 (Piano/"stabs"), Track 10 >> Drum Kit (Even the standard will work, but most sound cards have a few to select from, including a "dance" kit)
Join me on an Odyssey.

aXu
The Sidekick

Post by aXu » 13 May 2009, 07:01

I would recommend Fruity Loops, it's easy to use and you'll get quite good sound out of it. Of course you'll need some freebie VST's and some free samples.
Cybersex is on the line, I'm still running in the nineties

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 13 May 2009, 15:44

zoupzuop2 wrote:If Dance eJay is truly that rigid, I recommend working with a MIDI sequencer like MIDISoft Studio 4, to at least get your hands on more basic instruments and a software/hardware standard that is still very alive and well. (If you do go this route, a quick way to start in terms of instrumentation is Track 1 >> Patch 81 (Sawtooth), Track 2 >> Patch 34 (Pick Bass), Track 3 >> Patch 3 (Piano/"stabs"), Track 10 >> Drum Kit (Even the standard will work, but most sound cards have a few to select from, including a "dance" kit)
Dance Ejay is made for beginners. There are no such features (in this case, to work with a MIDI Sequencer). Basically, in Dance Ejay 7, you work with basic tracks where you can drag and drop sounds from a library that comes with the software. You can make your own sounds with the in-built instrument generator that aren't MIDI.
aXu wrote:I would recommend Fruity Loops, it's easy to use and you'll get quite good sound out of it. Of course you'll need some freebie VST's and some free samples.
Yeah, I've heard many people suggesting it and this song here (a free song) :
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/233996
is made with it and would like SO MUCH to create music like that. >_<

If you can learn me how to use it and get awesome sounds (like in the song above), PM me with details if we can talk together on MSN or AIM.

For getting the software, this is no biggie.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

aXu
The Sidekick

Post by aXu » 13 May 2009, 17:23

I'm the wrong man to teach you, i don't use Fruity Loops at all. But i would recommend to try it.. play with it, i'm sure that you'll get the hang of it. Look tutorials on youtube and surf for information.

Watch this for starters and motivation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGttxDgo6jc

As for the song. You can get similar sound, but you'll need Nexus and Sylenth to do so. For what i know they both are top of the line soft-synths and expensive.
Cybersex is on the line, I'm still running in the nineties

showbiznine
Euro To B

Post by showbiznine » 13 May 2009, 19:44

Yeah, fl is probably a good starting point, but i suggest getting used to a track based DAW such as REAPER eventualy. If you're new to synths I recomment ReFX Nexus as a VST instrument but Tone2 Gladiator 2 is my personal favourite. Nexus has some nice sounds, but you can only use presets, you can't change much.

Now I'm no expert but feel free to ask me any questions you may have on MSN or whatever.
Be a part of my Anime Remixes album: http://theanimeremixes.livejournal.com

E-Mail me at showbiznine@hotmail.com for details.