Eurovision Song Contest 2009

Music that is not eurobeat!
aXu
The Sidekick

Post by aXu » 15 Mar 2009, 03:26

I can't remember hearing gay disco as good as this.. probably ever.
Crying At The Discotheque! :)
Cybersex is on the line, I'm still running in the nineties

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 15 Mar 2009, 10:30

Crying At The Discotheque was good when it came out, but this track is something a whole lot better. Rare to bump into this overly produced music that's right up my alley, Swedes do know how to please an old disco-fart.

UFOPOLI
Eurobeat Boom

Post by UFOPOLI » 16 Mar 2009, 09:46

Bore wrote:Avoided clicking on all of the links you've posted so far... but Sakis... Remember his previous performance from some years back, was something so solid and hot that I just had to listen to that clip as well :x
Oh yes. The only thing possibly hotter this year is Hungary. I just can't get enough of him. Hopefully his act won't be toned down for the international contest, though...
Bore wrote:Gotta say the Alcazar song sounds amazing, I can't remember hearing gay disco as good as this.. probably ever.
Did you also watch the performance? The choreography is great too, and fits the song perfectly. I bought their new album (out last week) in Stockholm (along with 14 other CDs :D).
the_ditz wrote:The mega-hyped dance-pop opera of Malena Ernman has won and will represent Sweden.
The voting was one of the most exciting ever! :!: The atmosphere in Globen was amazing the whole way through and during the voting, it just kept rising. I was very happy with the result, even though SDF only finished 6th.
Every time I'm free
I realize that funny time will take me higher

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 17 Mar 2009, 18:59

After some heavy airplay of the various Melodifestivalen tracks I gotta wonder how Swedes picked the most annoying one of em all :p I would've been happy with the Marie Serneholt song as well... Oh well, at least I can be antiswedish and hope you'd get less points than Finland ;) (not that our song has the best chances of making into the finals)

And =P~ again at Sakis' performance. Hopefully he has something even hotter on in the final performance, like he did in the previous time in ESC.

UFOPOLI
Eurobeat Boom

Post by UFOPOLI » 18 Mar 2009, 10:31

Bore wrote:And =P~ again at Sakis' performance. Hopefully he has something even hotter on in the final performance, like he did in the previous time in ESC.
It's likely. His performance (and outfit) in 2004, though, was rather tame compared to the pre-contest promo tour one I witnessed in Helsinki.
Every time I'm free

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 01 May 2009, 22:59

I'm shocked to report that I don't actually hate the Ukrainian entry anymore. It is still a very gimmicky and quite crude performance, but it has something about the beat or something that just lodges itself in my brain! How annoying! Lol :P

UFOPOLI
Eurobeat Boom

Post by UFOPOLI » 11 May 2009, 13:29

the_ditz wrote:I'm shocked to report that I don't actually hate the Ukrainian entry anymore. It is still a very gimmicky and quite crude performance, but it has something about the beat or something that just lodges itself in my brain! How annoying! Lol :P
That's what happens when you listen to them too much. I don't know if I hate any of them anymore (except maybe Latvia, Russia and Slovakia just a bit).

Can't wait until tomorrow :o For the past week, I've been reading reports from the rehearsals 24/7 and now's the time for the real thing.
Every time I'm free

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 12 May 2009, 23:44

Quite pleasantly surprised by the entries that made it through the first semifinal. I'm at least very pleased to know that eurodance will be heard in the final this year (as opposed to the previous years when eurodance songs have been in the semifinals but haven't qualified to go to the final).

Iceland's jailbait was totally adorable, the song was also pretty cool and it's great she made it through.

Romania's Balkan girls was infectious and simple yet fun to listen to. Another great entry to go through.

Maltan powerhouse woman surprised with a good song, fun to listen to.

Sweden is still somewhat ew-worthy, but the live performance was a lot better than in melodifestivalen.

Now just waiting to se... I mean hear Sakis perform!

EDIT: And the 2nd semifinals are done as well. Wasn't quite as content with the level of the material this time around, although there were a few really good ones available again.

Greece naturally went to the finals. Greek God lives up to his name.

Estonia, this song fights in the same category as Iceland, but maybe not quite as powerful. Although Estonian sounds beautifully magical when sung. Like an elven langue or such.

Azerbaijan sounded extremely catchy although I think they could've tossed the male performer out of the whole deal. Either way it worked out nicely.

Albania was surprisingly high class, although the support from the neighbor countries probably meant a lot here, they actually had a good song.

Ukraine, well definitely worth the show spectacle. The male gladiators were a sight for the sore eyes and the song was also way catchy!

Now for the grand finale: My prediction for top 3 for now is (in random order) : Greece, Ukraine & Iceland.

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 16 May 2009, 22:45

Sooo, it's over. No love for Finland. : (

Rybak deserved his win, and Yohanna was a rightful second. : )

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 16 May 2009, 23:31

I don't quite agree bout Norway's victory. The song wasn't bad by any means but the ever so innocent and cute girl from Iceland would've deserved to win if you ask me. And well my favorite from the top crowd was definitely Azerbaijan, the performance was far superior than any of the other acts. Although the Greek God was good too, but maybe a bit too pompous and off key in the final which cut off his points clearly.

Anyways, this year was definitely the best Eurovision year in the 20 years that I have been watching the spectacle. Less than 5 bad ones in the finale which is really nicely. And a few acts I didn't like in the semifinals improved by a ton in the finals. Bosnia-Herzegovina is one of them and Armenia. Gooo Inga & Anush!

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 17 May 2009, 22:44

Alexander Rybak's song is stuck in my head. Help. : (

Shawaazu
Master of Time

Post by Shawaazu » 18 May 2009, 03:02

Never understood why Norway was sooooo popular.

My personal favourite would have to be Croatia, so it was kinda sad that they didn't get much points :( . Though I think the semi-final performance was better than the final performance.

Moldova was also a favourite of mine :D

DJ Mike TJG
Eurohero

Post by DJ Mike TJG » 18 May 2009, 11:21

I really liked Greece's entry - very cheesy and probably well in keeping with my love of EB. Not quite sure about the lead singer rising up on a giant stapler at the end tho! ;)

I was impressed that the UK actually got to 5th place this year! About time we reclaimed some ground after having such horrible results from 2003 onwards!

UFOPOLI
Eurobeat Boom

Post by UFOPOLI » 25 May 2009, 11:32

Bore wrote:Anyways, this year was definitely the best Eurovision year in the 20 years that I have been watching the spectacle.
Actually, that might be exactly the number of years I'll also agree on, since going back in time, 1988 is the first serious contender. Quite a few people have really liked this year, and I'm not only talking about average people, who hardly remember any of the previous years, but fans who have quite a perspective (and who mostly hated last year (though I didn't myself)).

The winner was the biggest beforehand favorite since 1968 (Congratulations), and unlike then, he actually did it in the end. There have also been predictions seeing the biggest commercial success in the making since 1976 (Save Your Kisses for Me). Fairytale wasn't my personal favorite (15th out of 42) but I have nothing against it winning.

My favorites in the final were Sweden, Greece, Iceland, Finland and Spain (in that order). Before the show, Iceland and Spain were the other way but the respective performances affected the positions. It was a great final, even though five of my five-star songs didn't make it (Bulgaria, Montenegro, Hungary, Slovenia and Switzerland).
DJ Mike TJG wrote:I was impressed that the UK actually got to 5th place this year! About time we reclaimed some ground after having such horrible results from 2003 onwards!
There you see, you can do it if you try. With a better song the result would have been even higher. It's great that all Big4 countries actually paid attention this year.
Every time I'm free

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 06 Jun 2009, 10:28

Although I was out in Japan when this contest aired, I got my mum to record the shows for me (it's a family tradition - we have to watch Eurovision all together with a Chinese takeaway!!)

Anyway, I also didn't see the massive deal with Norway, I'm not saying that it didn't deserve a top 5 placing or even the top spot, but to win by such a massive margin was a bit unfair to the other entries. I'm with Bore that Iceland definitely deserved the win. Yohanna gave a faultless performance, and the song is gorgeous. I didn't think they could beat last year's awesome Eurodance-fest "This Is My Life" but they did. I was also delighted that the catchiest track in the final came 3rd - Arash's vocals were always a bit hit and miss, but he seemed to pull out all the stops in the final.

The contest was excellent as a whole and I'll probably buy the DVD :)