Super Eurobeat 209

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
thejti
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by thejti » 10 Nov 2010, 23:53

The problem with a lot of what you guys are saying about it not sounding like Eurobeat is that this is the same argument people WAY back when were upset that they changed the sound from Italo Disco to old school Eurobeat (SEB 1-39ish). People left the genre IN DROVES!! It's almost as if this is a repeat of that time. If you guys want the same sound or style, look at this, those songs that have the same style are simply not attracting listeners. I listen to Take This Way, for example, and can honestly say I don't know what you're talking about it sounding like it could go next to Italo Disco and old school Eurobeat and be similar. The "sound worlds" you guys keep referring to keep changing and the style is completely different. The production styles in contemporary Dima and SCP songs (whether you enjoy them or not) is more pop and club like in style, but there are layers to it and keeps that eurobeat "thump-thump-thump-thump" beat in a 4/4 time. It doesn't feel like someone slapped loops together on ACID Pro, added some synth keys for a synth hook and added singing.

I understand that you may not like the style, but you have to face facts, that old way of doing Eurobeat, for better or for worse, is over. The newer stuff is here. If it wasn't that way, parapara would still be thriving, HRG wouldn't be going to the slower style songs and non-pitched voices of Caballeros with Pistols and Bazookas and junk. In my e-mails, most of the producers and writers HATED only doing those songs and were annoyed to constantly produce these songs while their more melodic and songs that relied on creativity and changes.

drnrg, I still fail to see what's so cut and paste or easy to produce as you put it about What D'You Want From Me. Stefano kept changing the beat up throughout the song, he used various synths throughout, he got Jager to do some beatboxing, had him sing with regular voice in the 1st verse and refrain, gave the voice an effect on the pre-chorus to change things up to build it up to the refrain, added a bridge (which MOST Eurobeat songs never have)... I could go on and on about the work that was put into this song. Most typical Eurobeat songs that last for 5 mins, simply repeat the 1st/2nd verse, pre-chorus, refrain, synth hook and repeat while taking out vocals to change things up and stretch it calling it an extended mix when there's really nothing new. I'm not trying to change your mind on how you feel about a song, but for goodness sake, if you can't honestly analyze it because it sounds like pop/club music (which I noticed isn't your taste at all, which is fine) and actually analyze the production while comparing it to stuff which is basic loops put together... Well then I hate to say it but you're not going to enjoy most Eurobeat coming out in the future.

A clear cut example of this (as much as I love the producer and his songs) is Capaldi. You've referred to many Capaldi songs that you enjoy and I agree sound very good, but are cookie cutter put together. A good example of updating the sound and changing things up is what Dave Rodgers is doing with Sun Fire. As someone mentioned on this site, that epic ending on the end of the Dave & Futura track from 209 plus the structural changes added make the song fantastic while keeping the typical Eurobeat sound intact. Not everyone is going to do this as they're trying to update the sound they produce. As Newfield once told me, Eurobeat is a mixture of styles. It's the presentation on how we interpret whether or not it is Eurobeat.
Stop City Lover Can't You Break My Style?

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 11 Nov 2010, 07:41

thejti
drnrg, I still fail to see what's so cut and paste or easy to produce as you put it about What D'You Want From Me. Stefano kept changing the beat up throughout the song, he used various synths throughout, he got Jager to do some beatboxing, had him sing with regular voice in the 1st verse and refrain, gave the voice an effect on the pre-chorus to change things up to build it up to the refrain, added a bridge (which MOST Eurobeat songs never have)... I could go on and on about the work that was put into this song. Most typical Eurobeat songs that last for 5 mins, simply repeat the 1st/2nd verse, pre-chorus, refrain, synth hook and repeat while taking out vocals to change things up and stretch it calling it an extended mix when there's really nothing new. I'm not trying to change your mind on how you feel about a song, but for goodness sake, if you can't honestly analyze it because it sounds like pop/club music (which I noticed isn't your taste at all, which is fine) and actually analyze the production while comparing it to stuff which is basic loops put together... Well then I hate to say it but you're not going to enjoy most Eurobeat coming out in the future.
You just proved my point. All genres have guidlines. That's why Rock is 't dance and country isn't rap and vice a versa, It's evident we live in TIMEs when the musical guidlines are similiar to each other more than ever and the guidelines that separate the genres is almost non existant. That is why every song on the radio sounds alike. the Jager song sounds like something you could hear on an urban dance playlist and it just doesn't include many sounds that would qualify it as a Eurobeat song. It's about 85% radio pop and only about 15% Eurobeat for the synth riff. It just ventures too far off the Eurobeat map fit on a Eurobeat compilation. If you must know, the song isn't too bad on a Radio pop level. Certainly better that what the radio has to offer, but it's offensive to try and sneak it through as Eurobeat and that's my main gripe with this song.

The labels are free to expiriment, but why choose the sounds and instruments of radio pop music when there are so many other sounds to choose from? That's what I meant by cheap producing. On the other hand, I do welcome the different sounds and ideas Dima is bringing to the table and HRG Attack's slow bpms is the best idea in years. It's just when a song strays too far onto the realms of other genres, that I put my guard up and WDTWFM is a perfect example of that red zone.

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 11 Nov 2010, 07:56

end of discussion.
Last edited by DarkSky on 11 Nov 2010, 19:45, edited 2 times in total.

pokecapn
Eurobeat Boom

Post by pokecapn » 11 Nov 2010, 19:00

I don't know about the main composer, but a lot of Newfield-produced songs have hardcore influences. Yes I Will's ride cymbal comes to mind, but there's a lot of touches like that in other Akyr and "new" Delta songs.

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 11 Nov 2010, 19:18

The problem with a lot of what you guys are saying about it not sounding like Eurobeat is that this is the same argument people WAY back when were upset that they changed the sound from Italo Disco to old school Eurobeat (SEB 1-39ish). People left the genre IN DROVES!!
Keep in mind that by that Time, italo/hi nrg/eurobeat already were dead
in the water in Europe.
Europe chose techno, USA chose alternative rock.

Other genres coming to the fore have actually killed Hi Nrg/Italo sort of music everywhere in Europe, America, Asia, except on Avex.

A Beat C old site had a great history of eurobeat with chronology and dates. According to it over the 90-s it was a non-stop fight for survival.
They fought for survival of eurobeat music and sound against the Techno
which tried to devour them in Japan the same way it did it in Italy
and elsewhere before.

Eurobeat is not techno, not pop, nor rock. It isn't whatever producers feel like mixing up of any of the above. It is hi nrg, or evolution
of hi nrg. Remember the name of Maharaja Night compilation..?
It was called Hi Nrg revolution.

Evolution means creating new things inside a given genre.
Continuation of the italo/Hi Nrg way of sound.
New sounds and production ways can be developed as a creative way.

Blending with techno or whatever is an easy way to escape a genuine
creativity, and create an illusion of novelty or freshness by using elements
which are in fact stale and overused elsewhere on a millions scale.

Blending with contemporary stuff is easy, when inventing new and interesting ways within a true original eurobeat style is hard, but it
preserves the genre and is truly creative.

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 13 Nov 2010, 03:04

I think this was a good end to the decade.

While Bad may not necessarily the best fit for this album it was one of the top tracks for me this album. New Horizon is excellent and Changes is a joy.

The Dave and Futura track was definitely not my cup of tea.

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 13 Nov 2010, 19:38

Densetsu13 wrote:The Dave and Futura track was definitely not my cup of tea.
That's hilarious, because I thought the Dave and Futura track was one of the best songs on the album. XD Japanese Girl and that song. XD

Megan188
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Megan188 » 13 Nov 2010, 22:53

Meh, I've gotten tired of this album rather quickly. There is definitely a handful of fairly-good to strong performances here, but overall, this release doesn't have a whole lot of truly impressive songs to offer. New Horizon is pretty much the only song that I'd consider to be anywhere close to being among the best tracks of the 200's.

WNight
Euroheater

Post by WNight » 14 Nov 2010, 03:10

Megan188 wrote:Meh, I've gotten tired of this album rather quickly. There is definitely a handful of fairly-good to strong performances here, but overall, this release doesn't have a whole lot of truly impressive songs to offer.
Hmm, I sort of agree with you. This album lost a lot of touch for me over time as well and aside from my top three (Which itself has some changes), I honestly don't even feel like listening to the others anymore even though they are pretty good overall.

It's still not the worse of the 200's though.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 14 Nov 2010, 06:48

Megan188
Meh, I've gotten tired of this album rather quickly. There is definitely a handful of fairly-good to strong performances here, but overall, this release doesn't have a whole lot of truly impressive songs to offer. New Horizon is pretty much the only song that I'd consider to be anywhere close to being among the best tracks of the 200's.
hmm...I'm actually feeling quite the opposite, as I'm enjoying a few more of the songs that seemed pretty mediocre at first.
This all could be due to the fact, that I barely got a chance to hear the songs, while the rest of have had the cd for a few weeks now?

Manuel, Dave & Futura, Momo and Tora are sounding better with each listen. Infact there are only 2 songs that I stear clear from. :wink:

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 16 Nov 2010, 04:29

rock with me dance with me SLEEP IN THE NIGHT

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 16 Nov 2010, 06:53

@ nine

I just realized that your fantasy cover for Groove Twins is actually the sleeve for Robert Stone- Burning Heart. How do those two connect?

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 16 Nov 2010, 07:44

drnrg wrote:@ nine

I just realized that your fantasy cover for Groove Twins is actually the sleeve for Robert Stone- Burning Heart. How do those two connect?
That's the image Domino requested to be used for the Groove Twins Special Collection iTunes compilation.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 16 Nov 2010, 10:50

Nine
That's the image Domino requested to be used for the Groove Twins Special Collection iTunes compilation.
Now that's what I call interesting. There must be some kinda story behind that? maybe it's one of her favourit Pasqinni sung tracks? When you get a chance ask her. It is an eye cathcing cover, but there must be something more to her choosing it.y 8)

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 16 Nov 2010, 14:02

Now that's what I call interesting. There must be some kinda story behind that?
And *behind* is exactly what seems to be in a focus here.. :grin: