Super Eurobeat 227

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Darkholme
Eurobeat Master

Post by Darkholme » 20 Feb 2014, 09:32

the_ditz wrote:Image
First question is: "What's the name of your first pet?"

Second is: "What's the name of the town you were raised in?" (lit. What's the name of the town you spent your childhood in?)
DANGEROSS! GOT TO FESS DE RESS!

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 20 Feb 2014, 20:09

Sweet lord!!! This album is STUNNING!! Although upon first listen, I'd say that my initial impression is that it is actually a stunning couple of "bookends" with a collection of kinda hit or miss books sitting between them.

What do I mean by that? Well, Tracks 1 to 4 - DEJO, Hotblade, Pamsy and Manuel - are simply AMAZING!! Seriously, I cannot get enough of them - all so melodic and addictive in their own unique ways, and when I get round to doing a full review, I wouldn't be surprised that they all end up with 10/10 since the scale doesn't go high enough!!

In a similar vein, Tracks 14 and 15 - Leo River and Fastway - are also fantastic compositions. Very aggressive and yet melodic at the same time. There is a lot of dynamism in these songs that makes me think that a little break has done the labels a bunch of good and given them more time to create some really excellent compositions.

The rest of the album is taking some time to take more - the Tipsy & Tipsy track is decent, but still fairly vanilla Asia at the best. The Gordon Jim track is catchy, but the vocalist needs some more refining to master his identity. The Luke & Cherry track - quite sentimental, but I really enjoy the melodic progression through the verse and bridge sections in particular. Think this will become a definite grower!

The Eliza track is a little patchy for me, not the best Delta we've ever heard but far from the most generic either. Billy The Butcher is hilarious - the intro sounds like an African tribal group chanting over an odd Chinese-inspired melody. But I actually prefer this vocalist to the Gordon Jim one (yes, I believe they are different!) This track is actually quite enjoyable - gimmicky like only bonkers Hi-NRG Attack can do, but scarily catchy and quite dynamic with its chordal progressions and melodic patterns.

The Norma Sheffield track is where things start to go backwards. The space layers are too loud, the kick drum is too watery and the bass is too overpowering. The chorus melody is okay, but everything just sounds very amateur on the whole (a trend for Sunfire in general on this album). The Martina Dry track has a bit of style about it but the vocals are just a bit too shouty for my liking. Melodies don't really hook me in as much.

Then the gruesome twosome - Dave Rodgers & Futura. The DR track has a kind of Hyper Techno inspired galloping bassline that seems to drop in and out a bit erratically. To be honest, I kind of enjoy the melodies in the chorus and the hook, but the production is a bit all over the place for me. I mourn the passing of A-Beat C's accomplished and measured sound. Futura is like a squeaky little cartoon character with a tune that sounds like a hot potch of bad ideas - the only real skipper on the album overall for me.

I'll do a full review later, but for now my top favourites are:

1. HOTBLADE
2. PAMSY
3. MANUEL

I could loop those three masterpieces endlessly!! :!:

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 21 Feb 2014, 00:39

the_ditz wrote:Futura is like a squeaky little cartoon character with a tune that sounds like a hot potch of bad ideas - the only real skipper on the album overall for me.
I must be one of the few who actually likes Futura. :P I can't wait to blast this tune. I'm still waiting for the return of Bazooka Girl. Eurobeat is beginning to sound too mainstream, it needs its underground vibe back.

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 21 Feb 2014, 01:52

Bonkers wrote:
the_ditz wrote:Futura is like a squeaky little cartoon character with a tune that sounds like a hot potch of bad ideas - the only real skipper on the album overall for me.
I must be one of the few who actually likes Futura. :P I can't wait to blast this tune. I'm still waiting for the return of Bazooka Girl. Eurobeat is beginning to sound too mainstream, it needs its underground vibe back.
Is Bazooka Girl even with the studio anymore? You can still buy her songs online which is good!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 21 Feb 2014, 02:09

Bonkers
I must be one of the few who actually likes Futura. Razz I can't wait to blast this tune. I'm still waiting for the return of Bazooka Girl. Eurobeat is beginning to sound too mainstream, it needs its underground vibe back.
Actually there are quite a few of us out there. She is finally finding her identity within Sun Fire when its not a duet with Dave. She was born to sing those hyper vocal feel good tracks, Dave obviously still has the flair to compose. That song takes me back to the hit making years of SEB. Lolita; for instance, could easily sing that song. The only setback for me would that's also hyper short. Blink and you miss it, but it gives me the chance to make my own extended remix of the song.

Same thing with Pamsy's song, which is quite good, and Manuel's track ;that sounds phenominal, to the point where I didn't even realize it was 4:11 untill I saw the runTIME. That's how to make a proper SEB edit.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 21 Feb 2014, 06:20

para_rigby wrote:
Is Bazooka Girl even with the studio anymore? You can still buy her songs online which is good!
Well I'm sure she's available if needed to come back. !!! I wonder what a Bazooka Girl / Lolita duet would sound like! :D

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 23 Feb 2014, 02:10

Hey guys.
I made a non-stop mix with the tracks of this album available to listen to on SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/lebon14/seb227-album-megamix

This album is pretty darn good. I enjoyed it a lot. ;)
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

KiraTM
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by KiraTM » 23 Feb 2014, 12:51

Nice mix. That's a good preview for me, can't wait 'til the CD arrives here! Something Beautiful remembers me a lot of Love Is Like A Rain (215) - since then I've been waiting for a song like this. Also, almost each song sounds awesome! What a great SEB start in 2014! :grin:

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 24 Feb 2014, 01:44

Lebon14
Hey guys.
I made a non-stop mix with the tracks of this album available to listen to on SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/lebon14/seb227-album-megamix
Great mix. You have gotten so much better since the very first ones.I like the extras you insert in there. The Dejo intro was awesome.

So I did my own extended remix of Futura - One More Night. I really love that song and it was begging me for an extended version. Came up with a break for mixing too. 8)

Futura - One More Night (Dr.NRG extended remix) (Sun Fire) 5:41

https://soundcloud.com/dr-nrg/one-more- ... rg-extnded

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 26 Feb 2014, 20:36

I've been listening to this album quite extensively for the past few days since I received it, and I must say I am highly impressed through and through. Because I have a lot to say, I'm going to do a track-by-track review of the entire CD:

1. Wilder Faster Louder / Dejo:
I've been anxiously awaiting the next masculine presentation since Bon hit home with Pull the Trigger, and thankfully, this new track by Dejo lived perfectly up to my expectations. What's truly conducive to this song's re-playability is its stellar synth melody, which harkens back to this same vocalist's earlier staples like Baby Queen Seventeen. The only gap that separates this song from a 10/10 is that the chorus, while still effective, is a little too simplistic and doesn't quite keep up with the passionate pace set by the other phrases. Overall, this is an excellent song that I will surely be blasting constantly.
9.5/10

2. Showdown / Hotblade:
Hotblade is finally back after two and a half years, and he's still just as quintessentially brilliant as ever. I wasn't confident that he would ever be able to top Power Two and Disconnected, as they both embodied every single thing good about SCP's male tracks, but this here takes that standard a miraculous step even further. Right from the masterfully syncopated synth hook, this song completely finds its groove and proceeds enthusiastically across the melodic form. Hotblade delivers every inch of his talent into an already ideal framework. The result is explosively aggressive, yet musical at the same time.
10/10

3. Crazy and Free / Pamsy:
Pamsy's return to the scene is no less glorious than Hotblade's. I've personally grown quite fond of her previous works during the period leading up to this song, so I am extremely pleased to get a new track with just as much professionalism as her best titles. The synth here is satisfyingly infectious and the chorus harmoniously articulate, but I'm particularly surprised by the amount of attention given to the verse, a phrase that is usually relegated to buildup or filler. The light raindrop during the first half of the section is quite ambitious, but Pamsy's vocals strike the perfect rapport to make it truly effective. The second half of the verse maintains the articulate lightness in the backdrop, but Pamsy now sounds far less reserved, making it the perfect wakeup call before transitioning into the chorus. It's this kind of attention to details, spread across the entire form and not just the standout sections, that truly sets tracks like this apart.
10/10

4. Manga Style / Manuel:
After several albums of trying to imitate the most popular label registered with the series, GGM finally comes into their own again with this song. It goes back to GGM's roots, implanted by the now-absent Sandro Oliva, yet takes liberties in order to distinguish itself as something fresh. While I did like Never Say Never, this song in particular feels like a true return to what made Manuel so great in the first place. Back are Manuel's capricious hamminess, the thumping dance beat, and the experimental syncopation throughout the entire musical form. The chorus is also much, much more coherent than Never Say Never. The synth reminds me a lot of Living in America by Vito (from SEB 41), unique in its use of descending scales. This song is quite unique in its own, though, thanks to its lyrics, which brilliantly celebrate the type of comics that are popular not just in Japan, but overseas, as well. With all the songs we get about romance and sex, especially from artists like Manuel, this is a more than welcome twist to the genre.
9.5/10

5. Whenever I Dream On / Tipsy & Tipsy:
Saifam loves its happy, sugar-coated female productions, but there's a definite line between catchy and forgettably poppy. I loved Hurry Hurry Hurry because it had a firm sense of direction that felt auspicious to the eurobeat genre. This here plays way more like one of the company's mainstream pop covers than something directly out of the Asia sublabel. The melody has all the same cheeriness as Saifam's prototypical classics, but with none of the edge or momentum to bring it above the level of general blandness. The artificially pitched vocals aren't of much help to the situation. As a whole, this song doesn't at all represent the best of Saifam's potential and sounds like it belongs on My Little Pony instead. It's just a style that doesn't really attract me in the least.
3.5/10

6. I Wanna Run Away / Gordon Jim:
After I declared HRG as having run out of ideas at the beginning of the current decade, it's amazing how far the label has come in such a short time. It's a serious breath of fresh air to finally hear some new talent from a label that lately hasn't focused on more than three, sometimes two vocalists at a time. This new heir to an 18-year-old alias is raw and inarticulate, but he brings a quirky flavor to HRG's roster that's surprisingly effective with their style. As for the song itself, it completely averts all the tired safeties that the label often falls into and stands largely on its own. The individual phrases themselves, while all effective, aren't especially original. When pieced together, however, they form a very organic and memorable whole. Unlike most HRG productions, this doesn't try too hard to make any kind of loud statement, and I think that's why it sounds particularly fresh and natural.
9.5/10

7. Something Beautiful / Luke & Cherry:
Delta's effortlessly retains its record of competence with this duet. While not really ambitious enough to be a masterpiece on the same level as Maya, it's still quite satisfying from beginning to end. It's poignant in tone, yet not overly preachy overall. The chorus is a little corny, but the song still gets an easy pass.
8.5/10

8. One Shiny Day / Eliza:
Elisa Rosselli was one of Delta's standout females during the late 2000's, so I'm quite relieved to have her back after the label's female productions have been almost entirely handled by Clara Moroni. Much like Hotblade and Pamsy, Eliza's comeback on this album is not only great, it exceeds my expectations. Although you could argue that this is marred by the same soft poppiness that ruins Whenever I Dream On, this track hits all the right nuances to make it seem a lot more professional. The intro's contrast from major to minor is a nice touch, but that's just the beginning to the song's effectiveness. The vocal melody, while mostly gentle, knows exactly when to open out and has just enough twists to stay fresh throughout. Its synergy between the backdrop synths, however, is what makes this song particularly dynamic. Ultimately, this production has a lot of subtle variety while still being conventional enough to warrant several replays.
9.5/10

9. Too Tan / Billy the Butcher:
If I Wanna Run Away marches completely to its own beat, free of pretension, Too Tan completely embraces the pretension that lends Hi-NRG Attack its classic identity. This tracks sounds like the work of Mad Cow's Middle Eastern cousin, complete with parodistic themes and unrestrained wackiness. It's both incredibly generic as well as incredibly fresh at the same time, abiding by the usual eurobeat formula but bloating it into a twisted creation of its own.
9/10

10. Take Me into Your Golden Dream / Norma Sheffield:
While Francesca Contini has sounded better at Sunfire Records than she usually did back at A-Beat C, her songs still fall into the common habit of overlooking structure in favor of easy filler. Although the production's hybrid between 90's eurodance and mild electronica suits Contini's vocals pretty well, the vocal melody still doesn't have much structure and falls particularly flat during the chorus.
6/10

11. Only One / Martina Dry:
This song appears to have an articulate vision in mind, but occasionally, it overdoes itself to the point that it's hard to fully sink into. The verses sound overly condensed in particular, but the synth is also a tad too frenetic and not enough harmonious. This track is still fairly enjoyable, but HRG has certainly seen far better from its lone female in recent years.
7.5/10

12. Money Money Money / Dave Rodgers:
It sounds as if Mr. Pasquini wants to travel back twenty years into the past, as this song sounds remarkably similar in style to A-Beat C of 1994 and 1995, both in terms of production, as well as musical form. Melodically, this track is pretty akin to Pasquini's early works like Sun City and Dancing in the Fire, while the light, galloping production is similar to the Roxanne track of the same name. On a general level, this track doesn't bring anything particularly exciting to the eurobeat genre, but it is a nice blast to the past on an album that otherwise looks heavily forward.
8/10

13. One More Night / Futura:
This song gets a bit of a free pass because I'm a big fan of that smooth raindrop offbeat synthline, prominent in a lot of eurodance songs from the 1990's and early 2000's. Unfortunately, while the foundation here sounds quite promising, its execution is too shoddy even for my production fetish to save. Futura's pitch goes out of tune in all sorts of places, and her squeaky timbre doesn't really suit the track, anyway.
6.5/10

14. Far from the Light / Leo River:
SEB 227's streak of phenomenal comebacks finally concludes with Leo River, whose last song (Don't Let Me Go) grew into my all-time favorite track from GGM. While this track travels at a much more momentous pace than Manga Style, it still sounds unmistakably like GGM, unlike the wannabe-SCP productions from earlier this decade. I've always thought Leo River sounded like Ennio Zanini, so I could sort of call this the GGM equivalent of a Fastway song, but it's honestly special in its own right. It revives the sophisticated sound of classic GGM productions but utilizes it into a far more aggressive and melodically dynamic piece. While not currently my absolute favorite song on this album, it certainly has the potential to be the one which best endures with age.
9.5/10

15. Been a Bang / Fastway:
A lot like Go Racin' Go, this is satisfyingly standard Fastway. It lacks the sheer ambition and character of his best works, such as Shock Out and Love Countdown, but it still delivers solidly in every way and asserts that the specter of the Euromach era still follows Super Eurobeat to this day.
8.5/10

Top 3:

1. Showdown / Hotblade
2. Crazy and Free / Pamsy
3. Manga Style / Manuel

Bottom 3:

1. Whenever I Dream On / Tipsy & Tipsy
2. Take Me Into Your Golden Dream / Norma Sheffield
3. One More Night / Futura

Honorable Mention:
- One Shiny Day / Eliza

Overall Rating:
9/10

This is probably my favorite album so far on what is turning out to be the best decade of SEB in quite a while. Even with the small handful of forgettable tracks, the standouts are so strong and plentiful that the lesser numbers are easily forgivable. Hopefully, the 220's will continue this high level on the coming two albums and end with a bang.
Last edited by #Infinity on 26 Feb 2014, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 26 Feb 2014, 22:02

We have the same top 3 #Infinity - and our bottom 3 wouldn't be too far differing either. Glad you enjoyed this release as much as I did - it really is a true return to form! ;)

coolneko
Eurocurious

Post by coolneko » 28 Feb 2014, 23:11

I L.O.V.E. Eliza's song!! Reminds of the intro to "Just For Me" by Vivi
Coolneko aka Miko
I prefer either....go with your heart!

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 01 Mar 2014, 20:39

I should write my review but I'm too lazy.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 04 Mar 2014, 03:55

I'll debut a couple of my self made vinyls here to further give positive support to a great set of songs.

Luke & Cherry - Something Beautiful (Delta)

Billy the Butcher - Too Tan (HRG Attack)

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 05 Mar 2014, 04:12

I'm in a writing mood. Let's get this review going shall we?

01. Wilder Faster Louder / Dejo (SinclaireStyle) [5:15]
One of the first track we've got to hear at the beginning of the year and boy, it started the year well! Very engaging track from the very first second, it also has a wicked riff, a catchy melody, rhythm and vocal flow. You can feel the emotion and effort poured into the track. It's an amazing track and one heck of a title to start the new compilation with.

9¾/10

02. Showdown / Hotblade (SCP) [4:13]
Again, the energy keeps flowing! Hotblade's back with another catchy tune written by the crew at SCP. What can I say? The melody is pretty cool, vocal flow is nice and catchy chorus. I can add nothing else. When you can't complain, what else can you say? "It's an amazing track!". Only that.

9¾/10

03. Crazy And Free / Pamsy (SCP) [4:03]
The track I bought this compilation for! And God, I'm not disappointed! Pamsy's vocals are still top notch. The riff is probably the song's weakest point, to be perfectly honest. I like the progression from verse, bridge and chorus. Melancholy to happiness. Still, an amazing track. Great comeback!

9½/10

04. Manga Style / Manuel (GGM) [4:11]
A song that makes some kind of sense? Yep, and it's slower than expected too. Manuel's second composition and was revealed (the title) in an interview of AnimeNewsNetwork and it does not deceive. Amazing melody, vocal work & flow. Catchy chorus too. The riff is very imaginative too, more in-line with the pre-SCP sounding GGM. Also kudos on that keytar solo. We love Manga Style!

9¾/10

05. Whenever I Dream On / Tipsy & Tipsy (Asia) [5:33]
That's where the train starts to be unstable. I had good vibe when the song was released on Juno. While I dig that guitar intro and riff and most of the melodies, the chorus and the subsequent riffs (with the "uh-woah-uh-woah woah-eh") and the chorus are the weak points of the song. The riff would be cooler without it. Good track with a guitar solo. But, seriously, put Tipsy & Tipsy to rest for a while, seriously.

8/10

06. I Wanna Run Away / Gordon Jim (Hi-NRG Attack) [5:13]
This song... it has a good intro. However, the riff is so disappointing and not that entertaining. However, the vocals brings so fun in the song. So, it's a mixed bag for me. I can't bring myself to like this one too much.

7½/10

07. Something Beautiful / Luke & Cherry (Delta) [5:10]
Delta without his star continues the trend of... sub-par tracks. This one isn't as bad as the next track but I still feel that it's incredibly generic. I can't say anything else... the word "generic" is the right word for this track. Everything sounds so-so. No standout whatsoever.

6/10

08. One Shiny Day / Eliza (Delta) [5:23]
There was the "generic" track and then there's "mediocre generic". The riff is extremely boring. It sounds like a more watered down version of "Something Beautiful". "We must be happy"? We must be bored, sound more like it.

3/10

09. Too Tan / Billy The Butcher (Hi-NRG Attack) [5:08]
Two mediocre tracks later, we got something totally amazing. With a new vocalist and writter, we got a new theme! Egypt and mummies. Like Russia, Vodka and cows, this theme goes hand in hand with Eurobeat. This is what Hi-NRG does best. This song is so fun and brings some fresh air. This song is extremely addicting and has an amazing sing-along vibe that goes for it. Too tan tan tan!

10/10

10. Take Me Into Your Golden Dream / Norma Sheffield (SunFire) [4:12]
*grumble grumble*
First there was Eliza. Now, there's Norma. What can I say... Well, you know what... I'm not even going to bother. BORING.

3/10

11. Only One / Martina Dry (Hi-NRG Attack) [5:15]
Martina Dry. It has been a while since we've seen this alias. SEB 172 if I recall. I must say, while it's not a greatest hit, I rather enjoy this track. The riff is rather different than usual Hi-NRG stuff. The vocals are fine and the highlight is definitely the chorus performance. Especially the din-don-dan moment. Pretty good track!

8½/10

12. Money Money Money / Dave Rodgers (SunFire) [4:11]
Galopping bass? Count me the fuck in! I simply adore that kind of bass. It's why I love the track "Tonight Tonight" by Kevin Johnson so much. We got a great intro, very reminescent of older Dave tracks. The riff is pretty darn good and DAT GALOPPING BASS. Great vocal performance with great melody and DAT BASS. Did I mention that I love galopping bass? I think I didn't so, I love galopping bass. Too bad that this song is so short, though.

9½/10

13. One More Night / Futura (SunFire) [4:02]
When I saw Futura on the final tracklist, I was like "Oh God...". I was waiting for another mediocre song. However, to my surprise, it turned pretty darn good. The loud vocals works so well. The highlights of this song, for me, are the verses. They are so catchy. I'm not saying that the bridge and chorus are bad, far from that. Just giving credit where it's due. I just hope that Futura can make more songs like that in the future. The higher BPM does fit her very well!

9¾/10

14. Far From The Light / Leo River (GGM) [4:04]
Oh wow... This, guys, is probably my favorite track of the album with Too Tan. The serious/melancholic mood going for this track... I love it. The old GGM synths to back up the riff? Even better! The vocals are so good, the trancey melodies. I love, love, LOVE it!

10/10

15. Been A Bang / Fastway (SCP) [4:12]
The few last Fastway tracks were disappointing in my opinion and I was looking forward to see if, this time around, he would make some kind of come back. Of course, he will! The intro is very inviting backed up with a good sabi. His vocals are as entertaining as always. Melodies are not the most original, but works very well for this track. Very content with this track. In fact, it's pretty darn good!

9½/10

Overall thoughts:
Wow. I haven't been as satisfied Eurobeat-wise since SEB 195. It's not better than SEB 195 (this volume is still the king of the compilations - it's far from being dethroned!) but it makes my top 5 of the best SEB album of all time! There's a load of amazing track in those 15. Nine, to be exact! On the last volumes, If I had five worth listening over and over, that'd be good. But, NINE?! That's an amazing score!

Hi-NRG Attack never so much of a spotlight is such a long period of time. Three tracks! And, a new vocalist to top it off too! And, as surprsing it is for Hi-NRG Attack to have three tracks, it's surprising to see that Dima was completely wiped-out the chart for this album. I'd totally take a Dima song over that Eliza or Norma track any day.

The return of Pamsy in studio was another huge highlight for me. She did not deceive. In fact, it's one of the nine amazing tracks of this album. Talking of return, Leo River did return too and it was an amazing return too!

The only Sinclaire entry was an amazing one too, let's NOT forget about it.

Sunfire is very polarizing. On one hand, Dave does those amazing track. On the other hand, there's these totally filler tracks like Norma's. However, in this album two bull's eye out of three is pretty darn good if I say so myself.

However, Delta... what are we going to do with you? Geez... there's barely any good tracks (two in fact - Don't Forget and Fairy Tale). The departure of Newfield is still weights a lot even though it's been years. Unless they bring some fresh composers in, I can't see them making a lot of hits in the near future. Or at least change the sound world a bit.

Asia is gonna Asia. They are almost absent. There is one track that is pretty much forgotten when the next volume is out. Bring back the old Asia! The Factory Team, Bombers, Lupin, Laurie, etc!

Hi-NRG Attack, SCP, SinclaireStyle and Go Go's Music are totally on a roll lately! Don't drop the ball!

Overall rating: 9/10

Top 5
Too Tan / Billy The Butcher
Far From The Light / Leo River
Crazy And Free / Pamsy
One More Night / Futura
Money Money Money / Dave Rodgers

Top 3 Honorable Mention (because one isN't enough for this album)
Manga Style / Manuel
Showdown / Hotblade
Been A Bang / Fastway

The Hall Of Shame
Something Beautiful / Luke & Cherry
One Shiny Day / Eliza
Take Me Into Your Golden Dream / Norma Sheffield
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!