Space Invader VS Space Boy [And Final Countdown]

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Humbedooh
Forum Cow

Post by Humbedooh » 16 Oct 2005, 00:22

Lemme just "borrow" Bore's role of the unknowing boyfriend that just blinks and looks stupid because he doesn't know what's being discussed ;p

I haven't heard the songs...or, I think I haven't, gotten fed a ton of eurobeat since I (fool)hardilly asked Bore what eurobeat was, but I think what you're discussing is simply a classic case of "innovative anomaly"; you think of something brilliant and put it into work, then later discover that something else almost or just like it has been invented. It's almost impossible to say whether you've subconsciously been inspired by the other work (or the other way round), though the infamous Akkam's Razor("the most probable solution is often the right one") would suggest you were.

Now what intrigues me is that it hasn't been brought up, that these songs, instead of being "copies" of eachother, might have been subconsciously inspired by an even older song, that might not even be eurobeat, but something entirely different - one can only begin to wonder which one, let alone fathom the immense proportions of...the recursive research such a question might lead to.

That's just my two cents.
- De apibus semper dubitandum est
(You never know about bees)

Jion

Post by Jion » 16 Oct 2005, 03:50

Word
You can hate me but you know you have quality issues =p

michaelz
Eurocurious

Post by michaelz » 16 Oct 2005, 05:44

yep, edit a melody cut and add some sounds to it..another new piece! "D

DanWaigand
Tha Graphic Guy

Post by DanWaigand » 19 Oct 2005, 02:57

Suuureee.. Mock Dave Rodgers because a song here and there has some similarities, but still sounds good.

But it's all well and good that Hi-NRG Attack produces an endless remix of the same song with different lyrics with the exception of SearchingForTheHeroInTheNight and a 4 second guitar riff in Maid Attack.

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 19 Oct 2005, 03:18

Hey, HRG knows what works and sticks with it. Can't really fault them for that. Same with Giancarlo. Okay, I can hear similarities to Space Boy and Final Countdown. I also hear similarities from like a dozen other songs he's done too.

I think it's a matter of style, not of repetetiveness.
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice

aXu
The Sidekick

Post by aXu » 19 Oct 2005, 10:44

Hi-NRG Attack is no match for A-Beat C POWER!!!!!!!! :lol:
Cybersex is on the line, I'm still running in the nineties

Shinranshoni
Euro To B

Post by Shinranshoni » 19 Oct 2005, 16:16

Yeah i have high expectations for dave rodgers sometimes and i was really disappointed by his new song space invader

I think just because it has no originality and that the lyrics that hit me the most is when he starts the chorus with

"gotta get you like a space invader"

just like

:gonna get you like a space boy"

I know you cannot run out of ideas THAT fast...

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 21 Oct 2005, 12:01

PsYcHoDaN wrote:Suuureee.. Mock Dave Rodgers because a song here and there has some similarities, but still sounds good.

But it's all well and good that Hi-NRG Attack produces an endless remix of the same song with different lyrics with the exception of SearchingForTheHeroInTheNight and a 4 second guitar riff in Maid Attack.
I really have to agree with Dan here. Dave might do similar things with his songs but he sure isn't the only one. I know I'm guilty of mocking certain artists that do the same thing over and over, but that's a difference when the level of the songs also goes down. Space Invader on the other hand is a great song on pretty much all aspects of it (in my opinion anyways).

And as said HI-NRG Attack really does have the same continuing pattern a lot of the times, why aren't people bitching about that?

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 21 Oct 2005, 12:21

I used to bitch about HRG's nonsensical and predictable patterns at times at times too, then I came to appreciate it.

I think it's because it's one thing to be repetetive (IE, ABeatC) but it's another thing altogether to have a specific, albeit a bit wacky, style, that if you changed would change our perception of the label. ABeatC, as much as they re-use their stuff, does have a wide range of different styles of songs, as well.

HRG, on the other hand, would seem to prefer to stick to their guns and release fewer unique hits. If you ask me, Maid Attack sounds pretty unique to me, I thorougly enjoyed it and I say it's about damn time that SEB got some HRG guitar songs.

I think it's almost a shame that "Searching for the Hero in the Night - Tam Arrow - Tornado & Friends" isn't on SEB, then it'd be more than just a select audience that gets to hear it.

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 21 Oct 2005, 12:26

Heh I have no idea where the huge praise for Searching For The Hero In The Night is coming from... It is an alright song, but it isn't really that special. I mean in contrast to the other lately released HI-NRG Songs it _is_ good, but if I compare it to the labels highlights from the past, it can't compete in any way.

Chico Chico
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Chico Chico » 21 Oct 2005, 13:07

Bore wrote:Heh I have no idea where the huge praise for Searching For The Hero In The Night is coming from... It is an alright song, but it isn't really that special. I mean in contrast to the other lately released HI-NRG Songs it _is_ good, but if I compare it to the labels highlights from the past, it can't compete in any way.
As much as I hate to say it, I'm really not a big fan of this song either... :oops: I mean, it is good, but there are other songs that I am definatly more a fan of in the HRG world. :roll:

aXu
The Sidekick

Post by aXu » 21 Oct 2005, 13:41

All Hi-NRG's songs sounds the same, that's a fact, sorry :?, there aren't any unique elements in there.. or maybe the song/artist names are unique :P, all their songs sound the same.. mostly horrible singing, sometimes lousy mastering.. I don't mean to sound TOO judging, they have good song too, so don't sniff that pea in your nose just yet :wink:

Good stuff that they have released "recently", Rick Castle's Fly To The Star, I Want Your Balalaika, Bratt Protone's The Sound Of The Underground for example.

About Maid Attack, what's the big fuzz about some ~4sec guitar-riff.. pff.. so that makes a song so unique, okay :).

Positive comment to end, they can get only better, thumbs up!
Cybersex is on the line, I'm still running in the nineties

Chico Chico
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Chico Chico » 21 Oct 2005, 13:48

AxU wrote:All Hi-NRG's songs sounds the same, that's a fact, sorry :?, there aren't any unique elements in there.. or maybe the song/artist names are unique :P, all their songs sound the same.. mostly horrible singing, sometimes lousy mastering.. I don't mean to sound TOO judging, they have good song too, so don't sniff that pea in your nose just yet :wink:

Good stuff that they have released "recently", Rick Castle's Fly To The Star, I Want Your Balalaika, Bratt Protone's The Sound Of The Underground for example.

About Maid Attack, what's the big fuzz about some ~4sec guitar-riff.. pff.. so that makes a song so unique, okay :).

Don't know what to say other then I'll still love em till the end! :)

Shawaazu
Master of Time

Post by Shawaazu » 21 Oct 2005, 15:19

I recently heard more of Space Invader (not from that mp3 at the start of the topic)... and I'd have to agree with Panu here, it actually doesn't really sound all the similar to Space Boy. To me at least :P

And I think that voice at the start is cool :lol:

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 21 Oct 2005, 22:48

AxU wrote:All Hi-NRG's songs sounds the same, that's a fact, sorry :?, there aren't any unique elements in there.. or maybe the song/artist names are unique :P, all their songs sound the same.. mostly horrible singing, sometimes lousy mastering.. I don't mean to sound TOO judging, they have good song too, so don't sniff that pea in your nose just yet :wink:

Okay, first off, let's start with Maid Attack.

You're quoting someone else about that 4 second guitar riff (which is not true) and if you think that's the best part about the song, you need to listen a little harder than that. The entire song uses guitars and quite effectively too, IMO. The song has a lot of energy and fun and I haven't been captivated by a Federico song like this in quite a bit. Is it the best song on the album? No, but it certainly falls into my classification of 'solid'.

The 'horrible singing' you describe is probably due to the many filters the vocals are run though in order to acheive a feeling of higher energy, like for example, when Cristiana Cucchi's voice is given all the octave tweaks to give her that typical euro sound we're accustomed to in so many songs.

And yes, many HRG songs sound very similar, of course I'll concede that. All the labels have distinct sounds, it so happens that HRG's is more profound. I think it sounds great through the most expensive mixer in all of europe, which they happen to own.

Case in point, if people didn't like HRG, avex would probably think twice about using them as much as they do in SEB.

My $0.02.