Spread the Beat

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 10 Jun 2014, 06:30

Wataru Akiyama wrote:
Bonkers wrote: Start holding your own parties! Most cities have rental venues. Rent one out, blast this genre over the sound system. Once you hook people, they are gonna want more, and that's where you build in your sales.
Good idea! I'm gonna do this.

How do I get people to come inside the venue, though? Will they come automatically? Do I have to put up flyers saying "BIG RAVE PARTY!!!" or what?
Invite your friends...They'll tell their friends, and their friends will tell their friends, etc. It won't sell out, if that's what you're expecting. Go to a rave, pass out your own flyers. Do you have friends in a college/campus? Make an event page on FB, spread it. Use Craigslist. It doesn't have to be big you know. The worst thing you can do is pass out flyers that say, "BIG RAVE PARTY!!!"

Wataru Akiyama
Eurobeat Master

Post by Wataru Akiyama » 10 Jun 2014, 06:35

Bonkers wrote:Invite your friends...They'll tell their friends, and their friends will tell their friends, etc. It won't sell out, if that's what you're expecting. Go to a rave, pass out your own flyers. Do you have friends in a college/campus? Make an event page on FB, spread it. Use Craigslist. It doesn't have to be big you know. The worst thing you can do is pass out flyers that say, "BIG RAVE PARTY!!!"
Gotcha.

Alright, it looks like I've got plans for this summer sorted out. 8)

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 10 Jun 2014, 06:44

Or, you can be like me and have friends who dislike eurobeat. :(

It's a very lonely genre. Even the anime club in my town doesn't know about it as a music genre. I would say you West Coast peeps would have a better chance at spreading the genre. I mean, you even have Raver Day at Disneyland out there (if they still even do it). Use that as an opportunity to spread some Euro love.

To give you an idea, a friend and I rented out our local senior citizen center for $50. The party was going to be within curfew times, so 7pm-11pm-12am ish. We had 3 DJs in the work to drive from Atlanta to come play for us for $40 each (Happy Hardcore, UK Hard House, & Dark Pytrance). The only thing that prevented us from going through with it was we never could get the funds for a sound system. Things are possible, you just gotta search for an outlet.

otter87
Eurobeat Fan

Post by otter87 » 10 Jun 2014, 07:03

drnrg wrote:You post that pic of David Dima and (is That Mauro) and say they are cheeesy and not cool. Shame on you. have you forgotten the stupidity of Vanilla Ice or M.C. Hammer? Oh Yeah, they were real cool :D or how about the stupid gang signs thrown at you from 50 cent and Dr Dre ect... That was so cool that they even started to kill each other off.
During their heyday, Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer were not wack. Of course now everything looks dated but it wasn't so back then. And I am not using the words "cool" or "hip" in the sense of my own personal definition, but as what is considered to be so in contemporary America.

drnrg wrote:If you want silly stupid music; listen to Jason Derulo- Wiggle or better yet just take a look at the Billboard top 100. Some body already beat me to it, but #SELFIE? Really? Is that what music has come down to? This is why I follow the new Indie/alt/Rock movement. At least there is some light at the end of the tunnel with good music from Ed Sheeran, Bastille, Neon Trees. I say that, so you don't think I hate all Pop, cuz I don't. Kelly Clarkson and Demi Lovato are two of my favourite pop artists.
However asinine they may be, they are the things that American youth and young adults relate to. They do not relate to Italians singing about fire and desire in every other song.
drnrg wrote:...and I'll tell you something else, and its a shame ,but what seems to be cool with this era's generation is straight out sexual & satanic images.
And so you would counter that with the countless Eurobeat songs with sexual themes? I know you said you don't want Eurobeat to go "mainstream", but I don't understand why this was thrown in there? To talk down on pop music when the music you listen to is guilty of the same things?
drnrg wrote:You are making a rather general staement saying that American's will shun Eurobeat cuz of thier image. It's never been about thier image. It's just that the U.S. music industry still isn't ready for fast melodic music consisting of Synthesisers and hyped vocals. They tried it in the late 80's with High Energy, but got tired of it real quick. They tried slowing it down with Latin Freestyle and same result.
I beg to differ. It is completely about the image. Show me an artist on the Billboard Hot 100 who doesn't have a style that is considered "in" with at least one American subculture. Eurobeat artists, on the other hand, are out of tune with that. And I'm not saying that so as to talk down on them, they just aren't in touch with American trends, understandably.

Look, in the end, I would love to see Eurobeat become more popular, but I also think that in the end, the fans need to be realistic about it. Market it to the people who would ACTUALLY BE INTERESTED in it. Market it at anime/comic/video game conventions, market it online to Electronic music websites and forums.

But don't be buy into a delusion that you're gonna one day see a Eurobeat artist playing the half time show at the Superbowl or hear Eurobeat regularly in your town's hottest night clubs. I'm not sure about clubs in other countries, but I know that American clubgoers would not be interested. And I'm not talking about a happy hardcore rave or anything like that. From what I'm gathering, you guys are talking about the club downtown where all the buff guys with their v-necks and New Era caps and girls in tight miniskirt dresses are going. Correct me if I'm wrong. They want to hear songs about partying, getting wasted, flaunting their body and flashing their money, not Eurobeat. Even though Eurobeat DOES have songs with all of those themes, those type of people just would not be into that style of music, plain and simple.

jeurobeat
God of Romance

Post by jeurobeat » 10 Jun 2014, 07:40

Gruzky wrote:Cows and Japanese culture, on the other hand, are not things your average 20-something year old American wants to hear in the song they are listening to in the car with their friends on the way to a party to get wasted after playing beer pong.
It's not as if all eurobeat songs are about cows. I don't listen to songs like that either.

And I'm surprised that in this topic, the only non-Japanese market is considered to be the USA market, which might in fact be the least interesting market for eurobeat. See all comments against going mainstream in this topic. Why try to market a dance style in one of the countries which has had the least interest in any dance music of all places in the world since its existence?

I don't know if marketing eurobeat in South America, Africa, Europe, Australia or other Asian countries besides Japan would have any success, but I would think that chances would be higher there.

Wataru Akiyama
Eurobeat Master

Post by Wataru Akiyama » 10 Jun 2014, 07:46

jeurobeat wrote:
Gruzky wrote:Cows and Japanese culture, on the other hand, are not things your average 20-something year old American wants to hear in the song they are listening to in the car with their friends on the way to a party to get wasted after playing beer pong.
It's not as if all eurobeat songs are about cows. I don't listen to songs like that either.

And I'm surprised that in this topic, the only non-Japanese market is considered to be the USA market, which might in fact be the least interesting market for eurobeat. See all comments against going mainstream in this topic. Why try to market a dance style in one of the countries which has had the least interest in any dance music of all places in the world since its existence?

I don't know if marketing eurobeat in South America, Africa, Europe, Australia or other Asian countries besides Japan would have any success, but I would think that chances would be higher there.
I know that actual Russians would potentially go nuts over Eurobeat. Their tough guys really like listening to what Americans call "shitty Electronic music that's too fast and too chirpy", but I find it basically sounds like the Tech Para/Hyper Techno noise.

I've also linked up with some Croatian and Serbian dudes who listen to Eurobeat.

The dude who made this website is Finnish, I think.

edit:

I am listening to this

U mad? :grin: :D :!:
Last edited by Wataru Akiyama on 10 Jun 2014, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 10 Jun 2014, 07:47

Gruzky
However asinine they may be, they are the things that American youth and young adults relate to. They do not relate to Italians singing about fire and desire in every other song
All I can say is ...that is a real shame for today's youth.

:(

Gruzky
And so you would counter that with the countless Eurobeat songs with sexual themes? I know you said you don't want Eurobeat to go "mainstream", but I don't understand why this was thrown in there? To talk down on pop music when the music you listen to is guilty of the same things?
I think there is a big difference between the comical overtones of HRG Attack(if that's who you mean?) and the Miley Cyruses and Jason Derulos of todays youth....and it's not all pop music, just the Illuminatti made ones :P j/K I love joking about that once in a while. There is a lot of positive artists out there like Christina Perri, One republic ect.. It just amazes me how the industry pushes on the sickening ones over those.

Gruzky
I beg to differ. It is completely about the image. Show me an artist on the Billboard Hot 100 who doesn't have a style that is considered "in" with at least one American subculture. Eurobeat artists, on the other hand, are out of tune with that. And I'm not saying that so as to talk down on them, they just aren't in touch with American trends, understandably.

that is exactly my point. If there was a more postive image geered towards america's youth by thier artists, singers, idols, whatever you wanna call em, Then Eurobeat artists would have no problem with thier image. It would come down to the music. Too fast for the mainstream pop industry.
But don't be buy into a delusion that you're gonna one day see a Eurobeat artist playing the half time show at the Superbowl or hear Eurobeat regularly in your town's hottest night clubs. I'm not sure about clubs in other countries, but I know that American clubgoers would not be interested. And I'm not talking about a happy hardcore rave or anything like that. From what I'm gathering, you guys are talking about the club downtown where all the buff guys with their v-necks and New Era caps and girls in tight miniskirt dresses are going. Correct me if I'm wrong. They want to hear songs about partying, getting wasted, flaunting their body and flashing their money, not Eurobeat. Even though Eurobeat DOES have songs with all of those themes, those type of people just would not be into that style of music, plain and simple.
the TIME for Eurobeat to hit big in the states was during the 80's when Hi- NRG had it's 15 mins of fame. Once again; there is a huge difference in the way Eurobeat covers those themes and the way Ga-Ga sings about jumping on your Disco Stick. Anyway, since the begginig of TIME, dance music has always been about those themes. Eurobeat catagorizes in Dance Music. The difference is Classy(Eurobeat) v.s Trashy(Ga-Ga, Rihanna, Cyrus,ect..) In the end I guess today's youth wants the extreme. Which is a shame because alot of real talent gets overlokked in the process.
the buff guys with their v-necks and New Era caps and girls in tight miniskirt dresses are going. Correct me if I'm wrong. They want to hear songs about partying, getting wasted, flaunting their body and flashing their money, not Eurobeat. Even though Eurobeat DOES have songs with all of those themes, those type of people just would not be into that style of music, plain and simple.
Thank GOD they don't 8)

Mindsweeper
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Mindsweeper » 10 Jun 2014, 07:52

I don't think any of us were under the impression that eurobeat would work as trendy club music...except the op maybe.

Wataru Akiyama
Eurobeat Master

Post by Wataru Akiyama » 10 Jun 2014, 07:54

Mindsweeper wrote:I don't think any of us were under the impression that eurobeat would work as trendy club music...except the op maybe.
It worked as trendy club music in J A P A N, but then, as someone pointed out, USA ideals and culture are markedly different from J A P A N.

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 10 Jun 2014, 08:28

I would like to note that Eurodance and dance music in general has always been highly strong and succesful in the nordic countries. Quite a few artists from the 90s who did straight eurodance were primarily popular in Japan/Scandinavia (+Finland for those too picky to not include Finland in the term Scandinavia).
Which is why I wouldn't totally be opposed to seeing the genre succeed here. I do know quite a lot of people who enjoy it a whole lot. And currently there is quite a big boom of 90s eurodance going on, so eurobeat would blend in well perfectly.

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 10 Jun 2014, 16:16

did you guy fear eurobeat go mainsteam? mainstream will break eurobeat,right?

no worry,each music genre have own default nature,but music need evolution and influence to keep up the genre. EDM is no exception...

some artist make good music,but also some make bad music,
the definition of good music of everyone,crowd is different,it change over time,today is very different from 80s,90s.....so it's hard to say
for me there are alots of elements which make up good music (melodies, progressions, hooks)...

eurobeat is a less-known dance music genre,but japanese knew it alots of..i think it's good to spread eurobeat around the worlds,it's no hurt,don't be selfish! :)

some artist,producers need to make money for living, or even want to get fame...not really only for passion,hobby...so just let them go!

dupstep,pop isn't all bad,music is not all about mainstream,Billboard,and America...
if you want to find good quality music,you have to dig deep,or go into underground state :razz: :!: :!:

Darkholme
Eurobeat Master

Post by Darkholme » 10 Jun 2014, 19:45

KoolKool wrote:music need evolution and influence to keep up the genre. EDM is no exception...
Travis also said this. Eurobeat needs to evolve to not die completely. I'm not sure if Eurobeat should break off from Avex completely, but what I am sure of is that if eurobeat evolves it will be because of indie artists.

That begs the question: what can be changed and what can't? To keep eurobeat recognizable and still eurobeat, some of the core concepts like the 4 on the floor kick and the synth riffs should be kept but it could vary from song to song. The most obvious to me would be to experiment with time signatures and song formulas (which has been brought up a few times already). There's also the possibility of trying different sounds and carefully incorporating different genres into eurobeat.

To me, vocals and song melodies are my favourite parts of eurobeat so I would try to do something there. :D
DANGEROSS! GOT TO FESS DE RESS!

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 11 Jun 2014, 16:30

Nothing is ever going to change unless Eurobeat goes away from Avex or they allow international licenses. Until then, it will not be legal for Eurobeat to go mainstream due to licensing issues. The rest of this thread is pointless.

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 11 Jun 2014, 16:48

Tiger wrote:Nothing is ever going to change unless Eurobeat goes away from Avex or they allow international licenses. Until then, it will not be legal for Eurobeat to go mainstream due to licensing issues. The rest of this thread is pointless.
Wrong. John, if you would've read my plan properly, in combination with what I've written on Facebook and here on Eurobeat-Prime you'd know exactly how I'd want Eurobeat to progress.

If Eurobeat goes away from Avex, then we've really got a problem.

Avex is not the problem. The problem are the publishers for most part, as they should seek for companies that would want to license the music. But they don't. So that's one thing that has to change.

The only salvation there is, is by having a new ''Eurobeat major'' for the rest of the world. That knows how to market music, especially a genre like Eurobeat. Or by having Avex to apply new marketing strategies and being way more active in attracting potential listeners instead of pleasing the current fanbase.

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 11 Jun 2014, 17:43

DarkSky wrote:
Avex is not the problem. The problem are the publishers for most part, as they should seek for companies that would want to license the music. But they don't. So that's one thing that has to change.
Aren't most of the songs released on SEB given exclusivity to Avex?