ebprime Lyrics Application - Searchbar & offl. Database

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
alpines
Eurobeat Scholar

ebprime Lyrics Application - Searchbar & offl. Database

Post by alpines » 27 Sep 2014, 13:36

Hello community,

in the last few days I was working on an application which displays the lyrics on eurobeat-prime.net.
I didn't like reading such small letters and to generate less traffic for the webspace I made this app.

How does it work? The program is working with the eurobeat-prime lyrics database and gets those by using webclient requests.
[2_1] The newest version grabs every song and will only request the newest songs everytime you click on it. (Generates less traffic!)
[2_2] So far the best version! Creates offline song database so the traffic gets decreased. If you think that the database is outdated, simply click on the refresh button.

Also I asked Bore for the permission to submit this app here and he agreed! So feel free to use it! :)

I didn't want to put the pictures in img-Tags because they are too pic for this thread.

You can see the latest entries in the database by simply starting the application or clicking on 'Latest Entries'.
http://i.imgur.com/P05rOZC.png

By clicking on the buttons on the left side you can choose which letter you want to display. To access letters which are offscreen, just move your mouse over the buttons and use your scrollwheel.
http://i.imgur.com/Wztt6I3.png

If you've found a song you like, simply click on it and the program will show you the lyrics!
http://i.imgur.com/5vwUa7y.png

If you don't know the exact name of the artist or the song, you can simply search for it - only in the new version!
http://i.imgur.com/zu5nOfc.png
http://i.imgur.com/qDdCy75.png

Unfortunetaly the application needs .NET Framework 4 because XAML (the Designer Language for C# WPF) wasn't included before.
This application is completely written in C# with WPF Design (no Windows Forms).

I added the project folder so you can make sure that this app only does what it's supposed to do.

You can download the file from this link here: (didn't find a way to upload it in this topic)
Make sure that you use this download button so you don't download any ad software: http://i.imgur.com/TEsiHHH.png

Finally, the download link (+src):
https://workupload.com/file/95q5LN5Q (Updated 16.01.2019 - 17:10)

Please note that this application requires an internet connection and probably crash if you open it without internet access.

Thanks for reading this thread!
I'd really appreciate if you guys post some feedback on this application.
Last edited by alpines on 16 Jan 2019, 16:10, edited 18 times in total.

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 27 Sep 2014, 17:26

I don't see the point of it as the web version is just fine. There doesn't seem to be anything new either like a search feature with autocomplete which would be very useful.

How do you have access to the database by the way? Did Bore give you access?

M2-EB
Eurobeat Master

Post by M2-EB » 27 Sep 2014, 18:49

Yeah, small font… but nothing that can't be zoomed in.
Can't open it - asks for .NET framework, as you said. The idea's good so far.

Anything with a better search engine than the one in eb-prime website is very welcome…

alpines
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by alpines » 27 Sep 2014, 19:03

How does it work? The program is working with the eurobeat-prime lyrics database and gets those by using webclient requests.
The webclient is requesting the lyrics.php website where the songs + their ids get RegEx'd.

Thank you for the searching advise, I was going to make one but didn't have concrete thoughts about that but now I do. In the next days I'm going to post a new version where you can search for songs / artists.

alpines
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by alpines » 28 Sep 2014, 20:28

Alright ladies and gentleman,

this app got an update and now it's able to search for the song.
The updated new version generates less traffic now!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 29 Sep 2014, 06:02

I hate apps :-x

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 29 Sep 2014, 11:40

drnrg wrote:I hate apps :-x
Huh?

KiraTM
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by KiraTM » 29 Sep 2014, 15:04

That's a nice little application you made. Good job!

I'd like to have more "white-dimmed" background. Sometimes, the lyrics can't be read properly.
It'd also be very nice if the app would download the lyrics at one time (or maybe all in database). Of course, it'd cause relatively high traffic at first time, but after that never again. I'd love to read/sing lyrics even when I'm offline.
//Edit: Oh, I should learn to read. If I got you right, the program already does this.
Last edited by KiraTM on 29 Sep 2014, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 29 Sep 2014, 15:26

come on! show some nice attitude at least
he spend his effort to make this app :P
soundcloud.com/hainam-1

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 29 Sep 2014, 16:28

Huh... You know... that's a desktop software for Windows.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 02 Oct 2014, 23:54

I'm pretty sure this application pulls all of song and artist information from EBP every time the application is run but I could be wrong. I see no local, offline database that is generated once the application is first run. It would be ideal as to not generate as much traffic to the website.
If my hypothesis is correct, then this application does not generate less traffic and actually generates more because a user is not likely to load every song and artist when finding a specific song/artist.

The source code is in the zip. The meat of the code is in the file called MainWindow.xaml.cs. It is a C# file. It gets the song and artist data by retrieving the HTML from http://eurobeat-prime.net/lyrics.php?artist= to get the webpage that has all of the songs and artists and using a regex to extract data.

alpines
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by alpines » 03 Oct 2014, 15:02

In long term usage (in one session) it generates less traffic. You could also save the list on the pc but the problem is that you must check everytime the songlist if it changed.
One way to do so is to check if the newest entries changed but if these aren't updated if one song is added then you still use the old data.

The old versions used to request the letter over and over again which would generate more traffic.

// Also don't forget that for example the browser is requesting the pictures and other elements from the website which together generate more traffic in showing one letter than the program downloading the whole db.

M2-EB
Eurobeat Master

Post by M2-EB » 03 Oct 2014, 18:44

alpines wrote:(…) check if the newest entries changed but if these aren't updated if one song is added then you still use the old data.
??? What do you mean? That list in "lyrics" front page's just updated when there's more than 1 new song in its db?

alpines
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by alpines » 03 Oct 2014, 22:25

I think you got wrong what I was -trying- to say but somehow was struggling to say it.

Basically I meant that I don't know if the newest entries are updated frequently by every new track. The only thing you can base your check (the database check so you don't download it again every time) on is the newest entries. And if these don't get updated by every single track which was inserted in the db newly you won't have the newest database.

Got it? :wink:

M2-EB
Eurobeat Master

Post by M2-EB » 03 Oct 2014, 22:35

Yep.

That's why lyrics session should also have dates: "last update: month, xx" or something like that. I've submitted some lyrics myself all I got was a "we gonna update in some days"

really?
hahahahaha