Super Eurobeat 203

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 16 May 2010, 20:41

#Infinity wrote:Wow, sounds like SEB 203 is easily one of your favorite albums in the series ever! Those are some pretty high ratings coming from you.
It easily is one of my favourite SEB albums of all time. Granted my current high interest in the genre probably helps, but that doesn't detract from the overall quality of the tracks on show here. I just can't stop listening to the album!! :D

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 17 May 2010, 01:44

the_ditz
It easily is one of my favourite SEB albums of all time. Granted my current high interest in the genre probably helps, but that doesn't detract from the overall quality of the tracks on show here. I just can't stop listening to the album!!
It really does have that effect. Surley to be one of the highlights of the new 200 era for SEB. I too gave quite a few 10s(More Than Usual and to a female sung SCP song) What's the world comming to?The only two songs that I don't go back to are the Japanese sung and for me it has everything to do with the singalong factor, but other than that this cd ,for me at least, is 153 worthy. Loads of ENEGRY and POWER.

First off the review is allways a good read. I like that you spare no words nor thoughts and really describe all parts of the song. I also find the comparisons to other songs from the past an important way to get across the vibe you are getting while listening to said song. For me the longer the review the better.

You and I were the only ones so far that mentioned the halloweenish feel "Take This Way" injects in the intro. Kinda reminded me a bit of Hi Hi Frankenstien- Frank Torpedo with it's Gothlike synths in the intro. Manuel described his own NightTrain as Aggressive and Gothic and that's the first TIME I've seen a vocalist describe his song with that word "Gothic"

Finally for the shots certain labels get for rehashing riffs and melodies, I think I can honestly say that I'm one of the fans who kinda really like the fact that they don't stray too much from thier traditional sound.

Jay
God of Romance

Post by Jay » 17 May 2010, 02:36

Funnily enough, I consider 203 to be one of the worst SEBs of all time. Although it doesn't quite surpass 167 or 193, it comes rather close. My trash is somebody else's treasure, I guess.

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 17 May 2010, 13:14

My usual bitching...this time 'bout SUPER EUROBEAT vol. 203

01 DAVID DIMA / FREEDOM (Dima Music) [05:24]

Intro is captivating…song delivers well..

Score: cool +

02 MOMO / SEND ME AN ANGEL (SCP) [05:26]

Good melody and vocals... song is coming through well and is not burried beneath all the whooshy noises.

Score: cool +

03 ACE WARRIOR / MY DREAM (A-Beat C) [05:03]

Familiar and brutally overused concept..weird vocal delivery..
Still chorus sounds ok.. some extra guitar work is an interesting add on..
Overall: lotsa noise with little imagination.

Score: neutral.

04 DANIEL / WAITING FOR YOUR HERO (Delta) [05:20]

Unimaginative and repetitive SEB filler..riff is like meh..

Score: sucks (-).

05 BON / TOY FOR LOVE (SinclaireStyle) [05:05]

It actually shows some imagination unlike the above Delta track..
Melody has a generic Mako feel to it.
Rather repetitive..It has got this *song for day* quality.
Lyrics are hillarious..!
Does Bratt get his kicks out of getting his charge to go moaning about like he gots a Montesuma revenge ..?

Score: (neutral) rating, it is a funny song worth a second listen.

06 VICKY VALE / DO ME (Delta) [05:21]

It got this transparent feel to it – it must be Newfield on mixing board…
Sounds are a bit generic...melody is repetitive and hardly exciting.
I actually have yawned and went for coffee on this song’s 3-rd minute.

Score: (-).

07 THE SNAKE / THE SNAKE AROUND (SCP) [05:26]

Interesting delivery with good energy…vocals are good..
not very repetitive..
but..melody could be stronger..Chorus is generic sounding..

Score: (-).

08 DOMINO / ONE-O-PHIL (Go-Go's Music) [05:07]

Heavily accented Japanese …apparent j-eurobeat wanna be…
Song is a very generic j-pop-imitation all over.

Score: sucks (- | -).

09 CHRISTIAN - TAKE THIS WAY (EuroGrooves) [05:22]

It got no impact…with recycled type melody.

Score: (-)

10 LILLY / I AM A LIAR (Hi-NRG Attack) [05:57]

HRG got it pretty right…

Awesome verse melody..
chorus is good..
Good work overall…
Helium Empire can still write good songs… (I hope)..

Score: cool + (keep it up!)

11 DIABOLIK / DIABOLIK (Saifam/Asia) [04:48]

Cheesy techno…cheap and commercial…
Waste of valuable and limited SEB track space…

Score: crap (- -).

12 STEPHY / I BELONG TO YOU (Dima Music) [05:50]

Decent songwriting here is Dima’s forte!
Still..sounds are a bit off here.. .
Pamsy-wanna-be trance lead looks like it got
attached there by accident or smtg…

Score: +

13 GIRL NEXT DOOR / POWER OF LOVE <Morris> (Avex) [06:26]

Generic j-pop, just with better arrangement..

Score: (- -)

14 DAVE RODGERS / TRY ME <Rock> (Sun Fire) [04:34]

This makes me so sleepy…..not going to supermarket…going to take a nap…

Score: (-)

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 17 May 2010, 22:58

Bore wrote:Who remembers this?
Can't say I do even though I had been using the site even before I decided to stop lurking the boards and actually register :P

Why do you ask?

pokecapn
Eurobeat Boom

Post by pokecapn » 21 Jun 2010, 07:29

Random thoughts on songs:

Send Me An Angel is really nice to listen to. SCP has definitely ramped up the production values on songs like these.

Really disappointed in Waiting For Your Hero. It doesn't have the same sort of feel as the rest of Daniel's songs, and the song doesn't really tell any sort of story like previous tracks. Less like this and more like Spirit Of The Night, please.

Toy For Love is amazing. I don't know what kind of insane logic would lead you to switch the song's style halfway through and bring the original instruments back one-by-one, but it's genius.

I'm glad that The Snake are back for more, their songs are always full of energy.

One-O-Nine is impossibly boring. If you left 0:20-1:24 on loop, I honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and the original.

Take This Way has an awesome intro/break, and really hilarious lyrics. For some reason it reminds me of Overload - Terminator.

Diabolik is a really fantastic blend of old Italo style and Saifam's usual current sound. Love the break, and I wish more songs would have club-style intros and outros like this.

I Belong To You is probably one of the best justifications of the idea to return to slower BPMs and older styles. The main riff doesn't quite sit right with me, though. Reminds me too much of Mickey Mouse March.

Everything else just sounded like what you'd expect coming into the album.

WNight
Euroheater

Post by WNight » 21 Jun 2010, 09:39

pokecapn wrote:Random thoughts on songs:

Send Me An Angel is really nice to listen to. SCP has definitely ramped up the production values on songs like these.

Really disappointed in Waiting For Your Hero. It doesn't have the same sort of feel as the rest of Daniel's songs, and the song doesn't really tell any sort of story like previous tracks. Less like this and more like Spirit Of The Night, please.

Toy For Love is amazing. I don't know what kind of insane logic would lead you to switch the song's style halfway through and bring the original instruments back one-by-one, but it's genius.

I'm glad that The Snake are back for more, their songs are always full of energy.

One-O-Nine is impossibly boring. If you left 0:20-1:24 on loop, I honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and the original.

Take This Way has an awesome intro/break, and really hilarious lyrics. For some reason it reminds me of Overload - Terminator.

Diabolik is a really fantastic blend of old Italo style and Saifam's usual current sound. Love the break, and I wish more songs would have club-style intros and outros like this.

I Belong To You is probably one of the best justifications of the idea to return to slower BPMs and older styles. The main riff doesn't quite sit right with me, though. Reminds me too much of Mickey Mouse March.

Everything else just sounded like what you'd expect coming into the album.
Nice mini review there, although I don't quite get what you mean with regards to One-O-Nine.

Well, Congrats to Sinclaire/Nando here then, They sure achieved a near perfect strike with "Toy For Love". No other meaning though.

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 26 Jun 2010, 15:15

Agreed with Toy For Love. While Freedom is still my favorite of that album Toy For Love wins SO many points for originality. Such a solid Eurobeat track that shows the genre can still be fresh yet maintain it's usual sound.

Props to Sinclaire for this one. The random "TOY FOR LAAAVE" that goes on all the time in the background with the big scary voice though is still not my cup of tea though =P

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 02 Jul 2010, 21:13

I kind of just recently noticed this, but does anyone else agree that David Dima's Freedom is sort of a tribute to Dave Rodgers' Burning Like Fire? All three vocal phrases borrow heavily from that song in some way or another. They may not be quite in the same keys, but I tried singing the melody of Burning Like Fire over Freedom, and I was surprised how much it blended perfectly with the tune.
ImageImage

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 02 Jul 2010, 21:22

#Infinity wrote:I kind of just recently noticed this, but does anyone else agree that David Dima's Freedom is sort of a tribute to Dave Rodgers' Burning Like Fire? All three vocal phrases borrow heavily from that song in some way or another. They may not be quite in the same keys, but I tried singing the melody of Burning Like Fire over Freedom, and I was surprised how much it blended perfectly with the tune.
This is possible and other people have noticed this too, but Dima didn't have the intention to do this.. it's an accident. I know this because I've been involved in making this song... during the production process we haven't even spoken a single time about that specific song: Burning Like Fire.

Shawaazu
Master of Time

Post by Shawaazu » 08 Aug 2010, 06:35

ICHI MARU KYUU ICHI MARU KYUU

I fuckin love that song, I can't stop singing the chorus :D Best song on the album.

What the hell happened Ace Warrior? :(

Toy For Love is awesome with funny lyrics, though I can't picture those vocals coming from that photo on the SinclaireStyle site :D

YEAHH best GND remix in full version :grin: