Dude...what's up with that weird techno?

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Wataru Akiyama
Eurobeat Master

Dude...what's up with that weird techno?

Post by Wataru Akiyama » 11 Aug 2009, 18:59

8)

Hey guys! Been a while! My eurobeat collection is bigger than ever, but I has problem.

You dudes are older than me and more experienced, so I bring this to you. I live in America, where pop, rock, rap, and rap-rock are extremely popular, along with screamo and hardcore death metal. Dance music has been sidelined a lot, along with all other electronic music of the sort.

So when I'm driving around with my 7-speaker, subwoofer-powered soundsystem, blasting Eurobeat, people are all like, "Wow, man, you listen to some weiiiird music." Seems like the GOOD VIBES are a bit too much. :!:

I never knew there was something wrong with this sort of thing until now - mostly because quite a few of my friends were European and quite used to this sort of thing.

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Re: Dude...what's up with that weird techno?

Post by zoupzuop2 » 11 Aug 2009, 22:56

Wataru Akiyama wrote:8)

Hey guys! Been a while! My eurobeat collection is bigger than ever, but I has problem.

You dudes are older than me and more experienced, so I bring this to you. I live in America, where pop, rock, rap, and rap-rock are extremely popular, along with screamo and hardcore death metal. Dance music has been sidelined a lot, along with all other electronic music of the sort.

So when I'm driving around with my 7-speaker, subwoofer-powered soundsystem, blasting Eurobeat, people are all like, "Wow, man, you listen to some weiiiird music." Seems like the GOOD VIBES are a bit too much. :!:

I never knew there was something wrong with this sort of thing until now - mostly because quite a few of my friends were European and quite used to this sort of thing.
It's not so much a "wrong" thing, as much as... we Americans are NOT used to happy music (or, for that matter, dance/disco). Remember that we had a VERY large backlash to anything Disco in the 80s. This set up the next few years to be a bit more rock oriented by default. Dance music still existed; just not in a particularly popular means.
In a society, people don't know how to react to things they are not used to. So when they hear something that is musically inclined, highly produced AND fun-loving/energetic here in the USA, chances are good they don't know what to make of it.
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

aXu
The Sidekick

Post by aXu » 11 Aug 2009, 23:23

Now-a-days you americans only rape old dance classics.. see what Flo Rida did, now every mainstream artist in there are doing it. Shame on you!
Cybersex is on the line, I'm still running in the nineties

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 11 Aug 2009, 23:41

aXu wrote:Now-a-days you americans only rape old dance classics.. see what Flo Rida did, now every mainstream artist in there are doing it. Shame on you!
Ex-CUSE me? Not all of us americans are to blame, man. Relax.
Besides, we've got The Paradise Last AND Disko Warp.

Who says that all Americans love rap music? That's darn near racism. (Countryism?)
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

aXu
The Sidekick

Post by aXu » 12 Aug 2009, 00:33

I don't blame anybody, i only said that those artists are ruining good songs.
and Americans love rap music, fo shizzle ma nizzle :)

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 12 Aug 2009, 01:15

aXu wrote:I don't blame anybody, i only said that those artists are ruining good songs.
and Americans love rap music, fo shizzle ma nizzle :)
That's blissfully ignoring how American pop/rap music are outselling Japan's pop and rap... IN JAPAN. It also ignores Hyper Techno.
Thirdly. I'm an American and I can barely stand rap. If at all.
Join me on an Odyssey.

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 12 Aug 2009, 06:10

..but you do listen to eurobeat. So you don't really count. Obviously they're talking about the mainstream. ;x

And I wouldn't know how things are going in the USA, but here in Europe people only accept certain types of dance music. Even here there's not a chance eurobeat will become mainstream anytime soon (or late >_>!).

It's just, what was the problem? I don't see any problem with having a different taste in music, W. A.

jeurobeat
God of Romance

Post by jeurobeat » 12 Aug 2009, 19:40

MKwiakaku wrote:It's just, what was the problem? I don't see any problem with having a different taste in music, W. A.
You don't, but many mainstream people do :-x

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 12 Aug 2009, 20:44

Who cares what you listen to? Or do your friends all ignore you if you start listening to Basshunter? Because those guys wouldn't really be friends, amirite? ;S

Wataru Akiyama
Eurobeat Master

Post by Wataru Akiyama » 13 Aug 2009, 01:52

MKwiakaku wrote:Who cares what you listen to? Or do your friends all ignore you if you start listening to Basshunter? Because those guys wouldn't really be friends, amirite? ;S
Yeah, basically if you listen to 'uncool music' people will not enjoy being around you or in your car. :D

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 13 Aug 2009, 06:38

American seem to kill off every genre that comes thier way.

Psychadelia
Folk
Guitar Rock
Disco
New Wave
Funk
Arena Rock
Hi Energy
Free style
Heavy Metal
Hair Metal
Grunge
Power Pop

I would hate to see Eurobeat in that list

Let's all hope Hip Hop(rap is allready dead) is next. BTW the revival of Rock(Nickelback, Shinedown, Hinder ect...) was long overdue 8)

aXu
The Sidekick

Post by aXu » 13 Aug 2009, 20:31

It's only a matter of time when dance/club music hits big in US.
Many top artist threre have said that they are trying to get that "european club sound" to their songs, like Akon, Flo Rida and Lady Gaga.. but oh wait a swede has procuded all her hit songs, which explains the electro house feel on those tracks. :)

Like i said, i like to take swings at americans, but i have nothing against them.

But if the "club" boom would happen in US it would be fantastic for dance music.. anykinds of it. It's a big country and they have shown that they can make good movies, tv-shows and music so why not dance music too? :)

80's was a strong disco/italo period in europe, 90's was all about eurodance and early 2000's was huge for trance and now house and jumpstyle are going strong.

That went bit off topic but oh well.

Will154
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Will154 » 22 Aug 2009, 04:23

Contributing to the Off-Topic :P ...

I have to agree with aXu that it's only a matter of time dance/club hits the US. I donno for US since they have a strong Hip-Hop wave right now , but in Canada Hip-Hop is pretty dead except for like 10~15 year old and people who like Hip-Hop. What we are starting to hear on the radio though is back-to-basic pop and a lot more of UK dance/club which i do not mind at all. We hear a lot of Ministry Of Sound and Ultra Records these days. Stuff like Deadma5 , Laurent Wolf and David Guetta is becoming mainstream believe it or not. Of course what has contributed to that is because we have Virgin Radio which is from the UK so we hear stuff from the UK , but they influenced the other radio stations as well. As long as it doesn't get to mainstream so that it gets destroyed , cause then reviving this style would be difficult. Just like trying to revive Disco.

As for Eurobeat , i personally don't think it will go mainstream anytime soon and it's better like that IMO. I mean , imagine if everyone would listen to Eurobeat , it would just not be the same. Even though it's clearly a music genre that not everyone would like. As it is now , maybe a bit more advertisement , it's perfect. It has it's communities and it has it's clubs events in Japan. What to ask more really ?

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 22 Aug 2009, 10:19

Will154 wrote:Contributing to the Off-Topic :P ...

I have to agree with aXu that it's only a matter of time dance/club hits the US. I donno for US since they have a strong Hip-Hop wave right now , but in Canada Hip-Hop is pretty dead except for like 10~15 year old and people who like Hip-Hop. What we are starting to hear on the radio though is back-to-basic pop and a lot more of UK dance/club which i do not mind at all. We hear a lot of Ministry Of Sound and Ultra Records these days. Stuff like Deadma5 , Laurent Wolf and David Guetta is becoming mainstream believe it or not. Of course what has contributed to that is because we have Virgin Radio which is from the UK so we hear stuff from the UK , but they influenced the other radio stations as well. As long as it doesn't get to mainstream so that it gets destroyed , cause then reviving this style would be difficult. Just like trying to revive Disco.

As for Eurobeat , i personally don't think it will go mainstream anytime soon and it's better like that IMO. I mean , imagine if everyone would listen to Eurobeat , it would just not be the same. Even though it's clearly a music genre that not everyone would like. As it is now , maybe a bit more advertisement , it's perfect. It has it's communities and it has it's clubs events in Japan. What to ask more really ?
Eurobeat shouldn't be spread all over the world, because then it's not ''special'' anymore. I like it the way it is now: Small but with nice communities. But I wouldn't really care if Avex would release their CDs in 1 or 2 countries they know of there are many Eurobeat fans in.
For example Chile.

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 22 Aug 2009, 13:29

I've noticed (and I don't live there so correct me if I'm wrong), but there is a decent ground for dance music in the UK & the EU in general. I've been listening to Avex's House Nation series and noticed acts like Luciana on there.

I remember the US having going through a bit of a dance hits mainstream with songs like Castles in the Sky, Sandstorm, and whatnot in the late 90s and early 2000s. Hell, even Cascada made it over here.

In terms of eurobeat, I agree with others: it's just not going to happen. Just like other electronic forms like Electroclash, House, and even Electrofolk---they are such niche genres for people to listen to around here. It's almost too cheesy and happy a genre for it to go mainstream around here. I'm satisfied enough to have BBS like this and PPS; or even to hear the weeaboo at cons know what eurobeat it.

God bless eurobeat though!