Well, not worth mentioning... but review for 177 is done

Eurobeat-Prime News & Comments
Bore
Founder

Well, not worth mentioning... but review for 177 is done

Post by Bore » 27 Apr 2007, 22:46

So much crap in one place!
<a href="http://eurobeat-prime.com/reviews/seb177.php">Super Eurobeat 177 Review</a>.

Wait for 178 and cross your fingers everybody.

Schiznik
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Schiznik » 28 Apr 2007, 00:08

Woah really??
One of my fave SEB's in a while, but oh well, its your opinion. I'm quite surprised to tell you the truth, but I can see why you might not like it so much.. And I see i'm not the only one going crazy from all those bananas >_<
~Forget the bus, take the Express Love!~

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 28 Apr 2007, 00:54

That's about the lowest grade I've ever noticed in any of your reviews so far (though I haven't seen your entire catalogue quite yet, none of your recent scores have been as low as this one, not even 168 or 171). I can't blame you though. I was really disappointed with mostly everything on the compilation.

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 28 Apr 2007, 01:00

MMmm you might be right, I gotta doublecheck back with a few of the albums I remember disliking if this got the worst grade ever on the reviews I've done... Just remember off the bat that I disliked 71 and 126 a lot as well... and probably some 150s and 160s albums (but then again I sorta didn't enjoy neither of those decades as a whole either).

EDIT:

Noticed a lot of albums with 6½ grade, so yeah I think this really is the lowest of the low. Congrats SEB!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 28 Apr 2007, 01:35

Wow you really did butcher that cd. Even Hannibal The Cannibal couldn't do what you did to SEB 177 :D I won't really comment on your opinions, because we pretty much never see Eye To eye in these things, but don't steer fans away from buying the cd. I'm sure the producers put thier 100% into it. I hear it in the previews With that aside, judging from your review it will probly be one of my favs. Where you give a song a 6-7, usually means a sure fire hit for me. Especially when it comes to TIME

Schiznik
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Schiznik » 28 Apr 2007, 02:20

haha agreed drnrg, when I see a low score from Bore, I smile :)
ESPECIALLY when it came to Asia and Saifam.
Pretty much opposite tastes, but that doesnt mean its a bad thing at all.
~Forget the bus, take the Express Love!~

FaXMactor
Euro To B

Post by FaXMactor » 11 May 2007, 17:23

Another agreement with drnrg. Reading you reviews, I'd never buy and listen eurobeat any more... So I definitely don't read them since a while.

Tastes are different and changing with time (see, Time, ehehe ;) )... but for heaven's sake, please just don't post your overly critical, or should I say sour opinions directly to the news page (so that ppl don't have to read it unless they want to). Somehow I don't like to start listening to an album when it's marked "crap" as straight as that. Show a little responsibility, it's a major site that you've built through the years, not a puny blog.
You're running a site for eurobeat, not against it...

PS: Speaking of the opening page, the "The Eurobeat Year of 2006" is a bit beyond now

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 12 May 2007, 06:19

What's the point of a review if everything is mellow and no criticism is done. When an album is bad and I don't like it, it will get a bad grade. One bad review among 177 other SEBs isn't going to kill the genre.

I'm thinking the criticism towards critical reviews is going way over the top. If I don't like one album it doesn't mean I am going to dislike the genre. The whole fact about dissing the album is mainly due to the reason that when importing an album all the way from Japan with extra costs to already high CD-prices I really feel that this album is not worth it.

And as said, it is MY opinion, people can agree or disagree with me. I am fully aware that I am not the majority of people or that majority of people can't define what's good and what is not. But my opinion stands with this album, I'd rather buy some older SEB instead.

FaXMactor
Euro To B

Post by FaXMactor » 13 May 2007, 19:40

What you just said is fair and square. No one argues your point of reviewing an album according to what you think of it. I went maybe too far in criticising of you criticism of recent albums, in general (basically I didn't mean so, or rather: not here, not now).

You're also right, it's expensive to buy albums (or anything...) from Japan - I, too, spend far too much on this hobby of mine (that means mainly older, or even more older eurobeat albums) (phear my l33t lyrics correcting ninja skillz :P).

That's the why I ask you not to spoil the first personal impression by saying too much on the main page. I was still expecting the album (by the cheapest and slowest mail available...) while I couldn't avoid to see your opinion of the album (being superbad). And I'm just unable to ignore you opinion, even if I wanted to (because of your role in the scene).

So I just would like to build my own one before reading others' (yours) that will be by no means the same as mine when we independently listen to it (we're individuals after all :)). Of course I'd still would like to visit the site during that time, because I like it and I need it. Pls consider this point of mine.

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 13 May 2007, 20:31

FaXMactor wrote:What you just said is fair and square. No one argues your point of reviewing an album according to what you think of it. I went maybe too far in criticising of you criticism of recent albums, in general (basically I didn't mean so, or rather: not here, not now).

You're also right, it's expensive to buy albums (or anything...) from Japan - I, too, spend far too much on this hobby of mine (that means mainly older, or even more older eurobeat albums) (phear my l33t lyrics correcting ninja skillz :P).

That's the why I ask you not to spoil the first personal impression by saying too much on the main page. I was still expecting the album (by the cheapest and slowest mail available...) while I couldn't avoid to see your opinion of the album (being superbad). And I'm just unable to ignore you opinion, even if I wanted to (because of your role in the scene).

So I just would like to build my own one before reading others' (yours) that will be by no means the same as mine when we independently listen to it (we're individuals after all :)). Of course I'd still would like to visit the site during that time, because I like it and I need it. Pls consider this point of mine.
I have a role? Heh never really thought of it that much :P I mean ye, I maintain the site and such but a role?

For a very very long time I kept a very neutral approach to eurobeat and didn't really go off at stuff I didn't like but guess by time the critic in me has awoken and I come out with my opinion more directly and outspokenly than in the past. It also jumps out to the frontpage I guess. Easily avoided suggestion though I agree, but this might all change in a bit anyways. Suggestion noted.

Humbedooh
Forum Cow

Post by Humbedooh » 13 May 2007, 23:19

First, to Bore:
Whether or not you think you have a role, you do :D One must keep in mind, that due to the popularity of the site, the rankings on Google and the likes, and the fact that EP is pretty much the only site today that has reviews for the new Eurobeat albums, you actually have quite a monopoly on your hand.

And then to FaXMactor and the rest:

The monopoly is not something Bore (and implicitly the rest of the team) has cheated his way to nor is it anything he had set as a goal, so there's no ill moral to point fingers at nor any de jure obligations for Bore to satisfy in order to run this site. The monopoly however is a de facto situation. As such, even though I wholeheartedly agree with his opinion that his reviews of course should reflect his own opinions on the matters of the albums, it's also important for us to keep in mind, that what he writes actually has a great deal of influence on the Eurobeat community, and thus his comments may (or may not) sway people into having a more negative or positive attitude towards new Eurobeat material than is actually the general public opinion. This has of course made us (the team) think greatly about how to improve the Eurobeat Prime service in terms of reviews.

However, I don't think the resolve should be to alter Bore's "rulings" - it wouldn't be Bore reviewing the albums then, but some quasi-semi-"I wonder what people would say" opinion instead.

As we have discussed on the forum, we are currently working on some different measures to compensate for this and provide the visitors with a broader spectrum of opinions on albums, including (but not limited to) user reviews, polls and different grading systems.

I myself am satisfied that these measures will provide a more impartial and detailed view on the new material, and if everything goes as planned, we should have these plans fully reviewed and turned into nifty new content on the site around the release of Super Eurobeat 180 (give or take an album).

I hope that answered your question, FaXMactor :)
- De apibus semper dubitandum est
(You never know about bees)

FaXMactor
Euro To B

Post by FaXMactor » 16 May 2007, 09:15

@Bore: You're being humble 8)

@Humbedooh: Well, uh, I guess so :)

KitsuneStar
Eurobeat Fan

Post by KitsuneStar » 21 May 2007, 02:18

Bore wrote:[
I have a role? Heh never really thought of it that much :P I mean ye, I maintain the site and such but a role?

For a very very long time I kept a very neutral approach to eurobeat and didn't really go off at stuff I didn't like but guess by time the critic in me has awoken and I come out with my opinion more directly and outspokenly than in the past. It also jumps out to the frontpage I guess. Easily avoided suggestion though I agree, but this might all change in a bit anyways. Suggestion noted.
I think it may be more that since it's, y'know, YOUR site, that you become considered an expert, and when you say an album sucks, that means it sucks, no questions asked.

177 is one of my favorites ever, and I hated 154 more than anything else ever (which you gave an 8+) so when that's compared to how you feel about it, it means that I know NOTHING about Eurobeat, and that my tastes are horrible and way out of whack.

So, I guess sometimes I wonder if I should be listening to this stuff at all, when what I like falls so far and away from what you do...

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 25 May 2007, 02:33

at least when Bore reviews a cd, you pretty much know where he stands. I agree with his reviews about 30%, which is like saying not at all, but with him you get no grey area.
Some of you might see his way of reviewing as harsh and cruel sometimes, but I take it on a different level. More than half the TIME he gives a poor grade, usually means a bonafide hit for me. In a funny way, after reading how low a score he can give, it actually makes me like the song all the more. Kind of like when those Movie reviewrs give really bad grades, so you go just to check it out and "BAM" best movie ever. So yeah, I agree that he does a lot of generalizing, especially when he writes things like:
(quote taken from one of his reviews)
Bore wrote
Boring chorus is the weakest link this song has to offer, there just isn't anything happening in it and you'll end up skipping the song pretty fast.
The part where it reads (you'll end up skipping the song pretty fast.
) is taking it for granted that we will all skip it, but it reality this one turned out to one of my favorites from that cd. I listened to it several TIMES to see what was so boring and instead ended up likeing the song on all levels. So in a funny way, someTIMES his bad reviews end up helping the song. Go figure. 8)

Final words: You can lightern up a tad bit, and by that I mean don't dismiss a song as just boring,but rather let us know why you dislike it so. Wheather it be the vocals, composition , or even the lyrics(I respect that .). Just don't compromize your true thoughts for the fans sake. 8)

Megan188
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Megan188 » 21 Nov 2011, 07:55

This is kind of a not-so-serious post, but does anyone else think the girl on this album's cover looks like Ke$ha? Granted it's the same person from the SEB 175 and 179 covers, I'm certain that this is not actually her, but since these albums came out a few years before she became famous, it's kind of interesting how the similarities suddenly jumped at me when I looked back.