Not a new door update, but some ramblings instead!

Eurobeat-Prime News & Comments
Bore
Founder

Not a new door update, but some ramblings instead!

Post by Bore » 20 Dec 2010, 11:09

So yes, fellow eurobeat listeners. It's almost Christmas and I have actually been able to keep up with my promise to have updates going on every single day of December (which I am quite happy about). The way the site had been neglected for the past few years is primarily due to my own moods swinging left and right. The genre itself has never lost its value for me, but I do admit that the albums these past few years just haven't been doing that big lasting impression on me for some reason.

After working on Eurobeat-Prime for nearly 8 years now, I do feel I can't just leave it alone (and I am not even intending to do so, I am still sort of proud of the amount of work and time spent on it). The future is a bit of a mystery though. I guess I will keep doing things like I have previously, but I would want to get some actual facelifting done. The elements I have mentioned a few times in the past already are still sort of... unfinished, sadly. I do think the site could use a complete overhaul design wise and on top of that there could be some other features added.

The thought that occurred to Humbedooh, who has been helping with the coding of the site was that the site could really use some more updaters. The idea currently is that the reviews for one would get updated in a bit of a different fashion and could be posted by validated members. A form for people to use to add reviews that would show up on the mainsite instead of using the forums. Naturally this is more time consuming for people, but I at least feel it would be justified to have a lot of different opinions available for the reviews.

And here I do present a question, would people have the interest on having the option to write your own reviews for the site? Or is the feature something that is not really necessary?

How about the ability for people to submit new albums directly to the database (although each entry should just get approved before appearing online)?

Basically I am wondering if there are people about who would feel/want to act as moderators with priviledges to work out with the databases around the site and reform various areas that really need to be redone.

These features that I have mostly been running solo for the past years are actually quite time consuming and I am trying to see whether I could delegate some stuff to other people as well. I can't say any timeframes or anything currently on when these features I am hoping to get up and running will actually appear, but I am sort of hopeful... that it'd be in 2011.... *selfbonk* I need to be more ambitious I guess.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Re: Not a new door update, but some ramblings instead!

Post by Lebon14 » 20 Dec 2010, 14:13

Bore wrote:After working on Eurobeat-Prime for nearly 8 years now, I do feel I can't just leave it alone (and I am not even intending to do so, I am still sort of proud of the amount of work and time spent on it).
I'm really happy to hear that. I support E-P because it has the most extensive Eurobeat database online. That's why I keep coming back.
Bore wrote:The future is a bit of a mystery though. I guess I will keep doing things like I have previously, but I would want to get some actual facelifting done. The elements I have mentioned a few times in the past already are still sort of... unfinished, sadly. I do think the site could use a complete overhaul design wise and on top of that there could be some other features added.
Now, that I think of it... you're talking of version 4 of the site, heh. Well, it's true that's it's sad... because I've seen the design and although it had design flaws (but correctable), it was great looking.
Bore wrote:The thought that occurred to Humbedooh, who has been helping with the coding of the site was that the site could really use some more updaters. The idea currently is that the reviews for one would get updated in a bit of a different fashion and could be posted by validated members. A form for people to use to add reviews that would show up on the mainsite instead of using the forums. Naturally this is more time consuming for people, but I at least feel it would be justified to have a lot of different opinions available for the reviews.

And here I do present a question, would people have the interest on having the option to write your own reviews for the site? Or is the feature something that is not really necessary?

I agree that we could use more updaters. Posting reviews was always a nice idea but, seeing the current state of user reviews on the forum... it might just be superflux to me; at least for now.
Bore wrote:How about the ability for people to submit new albums directly to the database (although each entry should just get approved before appearing online)?

Basically I am wondering if there are people about who would feel/want to act as moderators with priviledges to work out with the databases around the site and reform various areas that really need to be redone.
THIS. IS. A. GREAT. IDEA. I would work on it. Seriously.
Bore wrote:These features that I have mostly been running solo for the past years are actually quite time consuming and I am trying to see whether I could delegate some stuff to other people as well. I can't say any timeframes or anything currently on when these features I am hoping to get up and running will actually appear, but I am sort of hopeful... that it'd be in 2011.... *selfbonk* I need to be more ambitious I guess.
This is a nice step from you. Keeping this website updated is a real pain alone, I see why you are asking for help. I'm pretty sure some people will be helping in no time! And I'll be one of them. ;)
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Jay
God of Romance

Post by Jay » 21 Dec 2010, 07:38

I definitely agree that there needs to be helpers/moderators who can help keep the site updated; it's just too easy to become swamped in all this new information coming out monthly, as you know all too well Bore. This is something quite a few of us forumgoers have been asking for some time now, and while I wouldn't take up this responsibility personally, I know there's many on these forums who'd be willing to help.

As for this:
Bore wrote:And here I do present a question, would people have the interest on having the option to write your own reviews for the site? Or is the feature something that is not really necessary?
I don't think it's necessary. The way things are at the moment are perfectly fine.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 21 Dec 2010, 08:44

I'm up for the reviews. I do them anyway. maybe ditz would like to also. That idea might also spark more people to review SEBs on a regular basis.

hey what about doing some reviews for older volumes that are not featured at all. The missing SEBS, Euromachs, EG flashes, Mahaja Nights and Europanics. I know not many have all these cds, but I'm sure they are familiar with the content(songs) Just a thought?

Anyway, I'm glad you got around to updating the site. Good job 8)