Reviews updated

Eurobeat-Prime News & Comments
Bore
Founder

Reviews updated

Post by Bore » 27 Apr 2006, 16:03

The 3 missing reviews from 160s have been updated to the reviews section. Also as the 130's tournament has just finished in the rather surprising victory of <b>Pizza Girl - Bang</b>, a new one will commence in a bit.

Which one it will be, it will be decided sometime soon.

DJ Mike
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by DJ Mike » 01 May 2006, 14:52

Wow, I have to confess, Bore, I completely and utterly disagree with you on your verdict on "Queen" from SEB 164 - IMO it's one of the catchiest and fun songs I've heard on SEB throughout the 160s.

It's far more grungy as most SEB songs generally go - no clear cut "sugar sweet" melody that rises up immediately as you get with a lot of older Eurobeat, but the melody is most assuredly there, especially during the chorus, which has some really nice use of harmonies in a more subtle "grainy" fashion. And very catchy too! I was hooked on this song as soon as I heard it!

Definitely one of the highlights and not deserving of the 5+ it received, but there you go :(

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 01 May 2006, 15:00

Hmm I heard a lot of positive comments about Queen in advance and was getting ready for a really good one as well. After months of listening to 164 and always skipping the song I still stand behind my verdict. Maybe it might've deserved a slightly better grade (as in ~6 or so), but the song really feels totally hollow to me.
The speed is the best part but can hardly find much good about it otherwise :\

DJ Mike
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by DJ Mike » 01 May 2006, 20:58

It's very unusual as Eurobeat songs go, I'll give it that - a very low "noisy" bass to it, which I've never heard anywhere except in Saifam's stuff (and very occasionally in other stuff such as Dark Angels' "Right Now").

I guess it comes down to perception of how harmonies best serve Eurobeat - a song like this is practically one step away from being Hardcore Dance music - basically the maximum extreme that Eurobeat could ever go without being a completely different genre.

Works for some, not for others! :)

Edit: One other thing - I will level the criticism that this songs ends way too early, and has far too much intro. Probably a by-product of these radio mixes Avex forces upon us on SEB, but it could easily have used another chorus to hammer home that catchy melody. Otherwise, it somehow feels like it built up to being shot down prematurely.