SEB 171

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
lightsol
Eurobeat Boom

Post by lightsol » 04 Oct 2006, 08:19

Thanks for sharing that! Too bad the production / sound of the video is not flattering in general. Dave has a good stage presence and ability! I've never seen a live clip of eurobeat like that.
~ LightSol ~
<b><i>nR Element has had "So Curious" signed to Akyr!</b></i>
- original eurobeat and eurodance tracks & covers
- final fantasy and video game remixes
- anime and Jpop remixes
<b> www.nrelement.com
www.myspace.com/nrelement</b>

lightsol
Eurobeat Boom

MY REVIEW of SEB Volume 171

Post by lightsol » 04 Oct 2006, 08:32

~ LightSol’s Grading Key ~ ~ no pluses, no minuses, no frills ~
5 = love it and will play again and again without tire
4 = really like it and am always happy to hear it
3 = enjoy hearing it and it’s good all around but not a favorite
2 = kinda annoys or disappoints me; I may skip it sometimes
1 = one that I’ll skip a lot or I just don’t get or relate to

FIRST OFF, THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO CREATE EUROBEAT!

SUPER EUROBEAT VOLUME 171

1. Midnight Love - Neo
Solid intro; solid all around. I love the female whispers (Annerley?) Strong male vocals, though a strong accent is present. Very standard but exemplary eurobeat.
SCORE: 4

2. Wanna Be With You – Melissa White
Very ‘80s and Italo sounding. Slower, 140 bpm. I really like her voice for this song. Good attitude. Not terribly fond of the speaking, but it grew on me. I love the rhythm for “wanna be together.”

3. Welcome People – Mr. M
Very driving, fast. Mr. M. has a mature voice to offer. Some of the synths sound more standard, old school eurobeat. I like it.
SCORE: 3

4. Dance Dance Monsteru – Groove Twins
This song starts off weird from the get-go. Monsteru… OK besides trying to be Japanese, I understand very little of the lyric material. But I kinda like songs just about dancing. The “dance” yelling part really reminds me of the old Lolita song (or Go Go Girls?) where “dance was yelled a lot. I loved that song. BUT I draw the line when they sing “na na na na” on this one. That lyric kinda burns the ear. I rather like the chorus though, and even the verses are nice. But the synth/dance yelling part isn’t quite perfect. Vocally, I’m fairly 100% that this is a mix of Elena Gobbi and Annerley Gordon. So I give it an extra point just for that duet factor.

5. Rainbow - Oda
I think the vocal here is drown by the strong lead synth. But the vocals also seem not only quiet but also lacking the push and drive and power of the other tracks on this album. It sounds like the “c’mon” part is done by another singer altogether. But I like the speed of the track. Fast and keeps you moving.
SCORE: 2

6. DD Dance - Annie
This track has immediate power and beauty. Starts serious and rock-ish then when it hits the instrumental section, it gets SO silly and Para Para-ish. But I think that’s a good thing. It makes the track very dynamic and changing. The harmonies are crunchy and delicious. I don’t remember hearing too many dissonances in eurobeat and I like this! This song is sophisticated and full of layers. The chords are so driving and serious. The vocals are amazingly wonderful and feel great. I am not familiar with this vocalist but I like what I hear.
SCORE: 5

7. You’ll Never Be Lonely – Rick Castle
The accents hurt me a bit. Wow this is a fast-ish track that keeps moving and I like that. OK I’ll cut to the one thing that really pulls it down for me: The female harmony vocalist. Really sounds washed out, squeaky, mushy, and full of a thick accent. I do like the bell synth a lot. Has a deep, intense mood and a cool ending. But the chipmunk harmonies really bother me.

8. Power – Go2
Epic synths. Perfect vocals. Great sound effects during verses. These guys are amazing. I guess the only thing I could criticize is to say it may be too perfect or overproduced, thus not too dynamic or emotional or varied. But it is what it is – a classic power eurobeat song with screaming males. Yummy for the ears. I like this one a lot.

9. Popcorns & Sex – Queen 26
What a silly fun track. Queen does have a bit of an accent. But I’ll get over it. I can understand very little from the lyrics, but who cares. It’s fun and the synth section is fantastic. Sounds like Disneyland. I very naughty one. The prechorus is great and has a nice key change. Sounds a little like Danish bubblegum vocally. Any song that has “tramp” in it gets an extra point.

10. Intercooler – Cy-Ro
Great intro. What I like most about this track is the thin verses and how everything builds up through the prechorus and become full and explosive in the chorus. The effect, male and femal vocals, panning, light accents, ending… I must say everything works very well to me in this song.

11. My World 2006 - Sophie
Old fashioned but updated sound works well. Wasn’t too fond of the vocal cut-off effects in the intro. I love the instrumental section very much and also the organ. Lovely. Hmm her accent is pretty bad though and she is saying “My Word.”

12. Die Die - Cody
Hmm I’m kinda positive-minded and not very violent so forgive my bias. It’s a little violent and nasty for the genre. The vocals are OK, although a little accent-laden and strained a few times like on the word “what.”

13. I’M OK - Dana
Exactly. She’s OK. The best part of this song is the lead song, perhaps intentionally stealing some attention from a good, but not excellent vocal compared with the other vocalists on the album. Very fast and energetic.

14. Say You Will - Annalise
Oh Annerley, welcome back. To me this song is way different from “Say Yeah.” It is slow, thoughtful. What a mysterious intro! The verses don’t sound pitched at all… they remind me very much of her sound as the *cough* unnamed popstar she sang as in her absence from eurobeat. The end of the choruses… what a decision! So high and light and retrainted, instead of the former Annalise style, which would be to scream those lines. A lovely change and choice. Even though I like the screaming too. This song is well-written and has nice dynamics and chord changes. The bridge has some lovely vocals. Truly star quality. The harpsichord sound effects are also very fun! Annerley, you love the word “boy.”
SCORE: 5

15. Ace of Spades – Powerful T.
Powerful T. is indeed powerful. Wow, very male. The wailing guitars are also amazing. A couple times in the verses, those high parts… wow I’m not sure I’d say strained, but very rock-star-ish. The choruses are great vocally.

16. Wonderful – Ai Yamamoto
Aww gotta love a girl named “Love.” The intro sounds like a trains station jingle in Japan so right away I am brought to that feeling. Then with the Japanese accent and synths and such, I feel like this could be an anime intro. Sometimes a little flat-ish vocally, hmm I dunno. A lot of effects. Chorus? I think I can hear some pitch correction happening and that is distracting. She slides on “feelings” and that stuck out, but maybe it’s OK. I think maybe if it were also elsewhere? Hmm I dunno it is fine, but not perfect to me. But it really does sound like J-Pop or anime music. I’m a little torn if this is a 2 or 3.

17. Honesty – Mark Gillian
Sounds very Italo after the fun intro. Not fond of the flanged synth. I do like the gravelly, lounge-ish vocals. The bass riffs before the verses are great and playful. I don’t like that this song fades out. Not into fade outs.

18. I’m Gonna Carry On - Nuage
Piano intro is nice. Strong instrumental section. Vocals are expressive and nice. Her very thick accent, which always bothers me, is much improved in this track, except the whispering sections. Bravo!

Favorites: Say You Will, DD Dance
Least Favorites: You'll Never Be Lonely, Rainbow

Overall Score: 62 points / 18 tracks = 3.44 out of 5
I like this album very much. No 1’s and barely any skippers…
I could stand to listen to it all the way though many times.
I am blown away how much eurobeat has improved
Even since a few compilation decades ago.
Except the cannibal lady on the front is scary
Where are Clara, Karen, and Dave on this album?
Thank you to all the great artists and producers
For making such amazing music for Eurobeat lovers!
~ LightSol ~
- anime and Jpop remixes
<b> www.nrelement.com

UQ100
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by UQ100 » 04 Oct 2006, 08:34

Cosmic_Bard wrote:Or you could just go here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4103142802
Thanks!

Well, even DR's performance is sub-par, maybe the sound guy screwed up (sounds like he can't hear himself), and the mix we're getting sounds off too.

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 04 Oct 2006, 08:41

lightsol wrote:Thanks for sharing that! Too bad the production / sound of the video is not flattering in general. Dave has a good stage presence and ability! I've never seen a live clip of eurobeat like that.
you haven't seen live clips of eurobeat before? I guess you weren't around when Vicky and I came back from our trip to Italy and put up some videos we recorded of the concert. :)

Christine / Rain - http://youtube.com/watch?v=PaqQVZfIyDs
Cherry / Stop Teasing My Heart - http://youtube.com/watch?v=CltF_d24zCs
Dave Rodgers / Space Boy - http://youtube.com/watch?v=6sduKhZSQ9c (try to ignore me and vicky screaming along to the song. haha)
Ace / Moonchild - http://youtube.com/watch?v=6oTTHsd-mYk (Again, ignore vicky and I singing along. :P)

anyway, nice review on seb171... though, I totally disagree with you with You'll Never Be Lonely. I think I'm one of the only people who really liked it. haha

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 04 Oct 2006, 19:48

Nine wrote:I totally disagree with you with You'll Never Be Lonely. I think I'm one of the only people who really liked it. haha
Yeah, I'm starting to feel a bit alone like that as well - I really like that song as I reminds me of the classic days of HRG during the Eurobeat Flash era... ;)

Also, to anyone that has given Wanna Be With You a low mark - erm, what are you on? I've had that track on repeat on my mp3 for days now and I love it more and more with every listen!

Also, when I get my FL studio back up and running, I'm gonna try and do a remake of Ai Yamamoto's "Wonderful" as I feel that a really gorgeous song is being overshadowed by the sub-standard vocals that people find it hard to get past... :)

DJ Mike
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by DJ Mike » 04 Oct 2006, 20:42

One thing I've noticed on this SEB and also the Initial D Fourth Stage Selection 3 that was just released: There are two or three instances of poor editing in the songs.

I guess they aren't so noticeable when played through loud speakers, but listening on headphones as I often do I picked up on nasty cuts in Manuel / No Control, and Nuage / I'm Gonna Carry On.

The latter especially has a noticeable stutter in the sound around the 3:04 mark where the final C-verse begins.

Makes me wonder if they've gotten some novice in at Avex recently, because they're normally pretty good at radio edits :-/

Jion

Post by Jion » 04 Oct 2006, 22:19

I really enjoyed You'll Never Be Lonely. One of the 5/5 songs that I rated. As for I'm Gonna Carry On, I thought I was the only one that noticed that.
You can hate me but you know you have quality issues =p

UQ100
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by UQ100 » 05 Oct 2006, 08:44

the_ditz wrote:Also, to anyone that has given Wanna Be With You a low mark - erm, what are you on? I've had that track on repeat on my mp3 for days now and I love it more and more with every listen!
IMO it's one of the best tracks on 171.

valiant
Eurobeat Master

Post by valiant » 05 Oct 2006, 09:31

Overall this is one of the rare albums that I can actually listen through from track 1-18. I love this album very much :D . Finally there are those who agree with me that Ace of Spades was awesome! It has such an epic Powerful T feel to it. I really hope he would show up again in the 170s.

Jion

Post by Jion » 05 Oct 2006, 12:50

I hope he shows up too and shows something different than the standard Powerful T. stuff. I was really upset with his performance seeing as it wasn't anything really new.

Wataru Akiyama
Eurobeat Master

Post by Wataru Akiyama » 06 Oct 2006, 17:48

"Ace of Spades" immediately makes me think of a sleek black F-15 with a playing card on the nose, blowing away other planes.

Guess what card it is.

Jion

Post by Jion » 06 Oct 2006, 21:34

THE QUEEN OF HEARTS?!

:lol:

MarkIventi
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MarkIventi » 06 Oct 2006, 23:39

After a week I can say I'm in love with "Say You Will". Can't stop playing it! If anyone knows how to record audio from a video file I'll also upload a clip of "Stay Tonight".

taQ
Eurobeat Master

Post by taQ » 06 Oct 2006, 23:51

MarkIventi wrote:After a week I can say I'm in love with "Say You Will". Can't stop playing it! If anyone knows how to record audio from a video file I'll also upload a clip of "Stay Tonight".
why not just upload the video? :twisted:

lightsol
Eurobeat Boom

Post by lightsol » 07 Oct 2006, 00:19

Mark - being a fellow Annerley fan... which song do you like better... Say Yeah or Say You Will? Personally, I like Say Yeah... it is VERY catchy.
~ LightSol ~
- anime and Jpop remixes
<b> www.nrelement.com