Super Eurobeat 173

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
MarkIventi
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MarkIventi » 02 Jan 2007, 09:33

^ I meant the first attempt, Taq.

Anyway, since I'm a music producer myself I guess I'm overly critical. Also my heart is more with the older Eurobeat which explains why I don't like some of the newer stuff. It took me five years to fall in love with the modern sound.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 03 Jan 2007, 07:50

I think all the labels did very good this TIME around. Of course TIME was again the best, but all lables gave me a song I could put in my top 5

1. Paul Harris- Mira la Luna
2. Mika La Do- I'm Your Barracuda
3. Dusty- Go Wild
4. King & Queen- Say You Will Be Mine
5. All 4 TIME songs

I didn't think Scream was as bad and I'm not a huge AbeatC fan I thought the Dave and Nuage duet was worse. The real Gems for AbeatC for me have been Ray Sun and Lucky Man- Dave. As for female vocals ,I go as far back as Boogie Boogie and Let's Go Dee Jay.

Jion

Post by Jion » 11 Jan 2007, 03:24

I just got a reply for a question I asked Newfield a bit ago in regards to Luca Torchiani being the singer for Mira La Luna

To: redtarzanboi
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:21 pm
Subject: Re: Question about Mira La Luna Quote message
sorry 4 delay...yes yes it's him!

A different style but it is Luca Torchiani.
You can hate me but you know you have quality issues =p

oresama-chan
Eurohero

Post by oresama-chan » 11 Jan 2007, 04:15

Wow, cool!
I also guessed that would be another vocalist.
I love Elisa's backup vocals as well.
ImageImageImage

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 28 Jan 2007, 19:36

So, I just got it in and there are some great hits on it and unfortunately, a lot of average stuff.

Shine - Nuage - ABeatC

Nice Nuage song that showcases her vocals well, but otherwise it's a little bland... but still a nice calm song with a steady beat, nonetheless.

7/10

Mira La Luna - Paul Harris - Delta

A speedy song for sure, but I'm just a bit fan of Luca's performance in this song. It's a decent song and aside from the personal gripe of Luca, it has pretty solid production.

7/10

Doctor Doctor 2007 - Lisa Johnson - Time

Wow, this made me want to dance the instant I heard it. And who doesn't love the original? This adds a modern twist to an older classic and maintains most of the original aspects of it. It was hard to grade versus the original song.

9/10 (I also gave the original 9/10)

Burn Me Up - Nick Mansell - SCP

Whoops, looks like Nicola got the lyrics for a Dusty song by accident! Seriously, though, I honestly think that Ennio would be a better choice to handle a hard-edged song like this... I'd much prefer to hear Nick Mansell's usual style... but this is pretty decent.

6/10

Screaming - Lolita feat. Annalise - ABeatC

This song stands out, to me. It's quick, catchy and for me, instantly likable. If anything, it's a little repetitive, but I can't get enough of it. If you listen, you can hear some really nice percussive work in this tune, too.

9/10

Baby Illusion - Mike West - Time

Recently, I've come to appreciate Time more and more and songs like this really bolster my position with them. ^_^ It's catchy and I even found myself singing it to myself at work once or twice. Classic Time goodness.

8/10

Cover Girl - Fancy - SCP

I'm really not too big a fan of this particular style of SCP song, so this song isn't a favourite of mine. I find the style detracts a bit from the typical eurobeat sound I'm used to hearing in the tracks that I like. Otherwise, it's a pretty decent song, personal gripes aside.

6/10

Baila Campanaro - Franz Tornado - Hi-NRG Attack

Generic Franz Tornado HRG song. It seems there's a formula for making a Franz Tornado song and once in awhile, it churns out a hit song... this is not one of them. Sorry to say it, but after awhile, they're all starting to run together.

5/10

Speed Man - Dave Simon

Wow, this blew me away and is to me, the shining jewel of this album. It would be a shoo-in for Initial D, were it not on hiatus. In fact, if Bunta were to to ever race Takumi, this would be my pick for the song for the race. :P It's fast, epic and very well produced. Time shows me another great hit with this one.

10/10

I am Your Barracuda - Mika La-Do - Hi-NRG Attack

I'm getting a little tired of those runs of 16th notes that HRG uses to construct melodies with. It's not too bad a song, other than that point... the vocals are fairly good, but the song's too generic to stand out.

5/10

In The Sunrise - Mega NRG Man - ABeatC

Tomas Marin is back again with a song about Mexico, it seems. This is a good classic sounding Mega NRG Man song that's a great addition to the album. Not his best work, but very likable.

8/10

Your Love is Melody - Helena - Time

Another generic Time female ballad... not too bad, really, but doesn't stand out enough.

5/10

Only When I Dance - Pink Star - ABeatC

Catchy and and the vocals are very nice. There's a lot going on in this song if you listen, creating a nice effect. Maybe a little too slow, though?

8/10

Born to Love You - Kochiss - Delta

This song had instant appeal to me with its great disco feel and amazing catchy lyrics carried by awesome vocals. The sabi in particular is very strong and catchy... it feels like I could never tire of this song. ^^

10/10

Another Miracle - Dave & Nuage - ABeatC

The intro sets me up for a fast, 'dancy' song... but it just kind of trails off
into the other parts of the song and disappoints me. Dave and Nuage always sound well together, though. *shrug*

5/10

Cherry Girl - Pretty Woman - Delta

Unique sounding, cute and very memorable. I found this to be a really fun and quirky song. The intro synths are a little piercing, but other than that, it's a pretty great song.

8/10

Say You'll Be There - King & Queen - ABeatC

Hmm. I'm a little torn on this one. The song doesn't seem to have any kind of direction, but the vocals and production are solid... it just seems to be lacking something. Not bad, though. It might make it into my playlist.

7/10

Go Wild - Dusty - SCP

SCP's been disappointing a bit more than usual lately, but Go Wild is quite an impressive Dusty song. Another Initial D candidate for sure. It's a *little* bit too "Go 2-ish" but I still like it.

8/10

Final album comments and score:
Well, this is a pretty common album. Lots of hits, lots of misses but even more in between. Luckily this time around, there were no 'awful' songs, so kudos to all the labels for keeping the bar high enough for that. Still, I think that some of the hits in this album are worthy of recognition and all in all, the album is quite good.
Final Score: 7/10

Best Songs:
Doctor Doctor 2007 - Lisa Johnson - Time
Speed Man - Dave Simon - Time
Born to Love You - Kochiss - Delta

Worst Songs:
Baila Campanero - Franz Tornado - Hi-NRG Attack
I Am Your Barracuda - Mika La-Do - Hi-NRG Attack
Another Miracle - Dave & Nuage - ABeatC

Honourable Mention:
Screaming - Lolita Feat. Annalise
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice

Wataru Akiyama
Eurobeat Master

Post by Wataru Akiyama » 31 Jan 2007, 04:00

Review GET!

1. Nuage/Shine 10/10

Damn! This was really good, almost as good as "Sunday"! The synths were nice and velvety soft, with some trance-y elements that really smoothed everything over well for me, along with beautiful vocals and lyrics that really go down nicely. A good, smooth, easy beat tied everything together and made for a wonderful song, one that reminded me of a past era of SEB. All we need is for Overhead Champion to remix this and we have another smash hit like "Sunday"!

2. Paul Harris/Mira La Luna 8/10

Initially I didn't like this but then the high speed and Paul's vocals hit me, and the first thing I thought of was the old tracks once again, the high-energy, soulful hits that everyone loved in Initial D with all that emotion and power behind it. The Spanish elements flew over my head, though. Can't say much for them. They're the reason why I knocked a few points off it. But the rest is really solidly constructed, with some guitars in there and piano to top it all off.

3. Lisa Johnson/Doctor Doctor 2007 10/10

This track blew me away when I listened to it! The original was awesome, but this one is even better! At last, a 200X remake that's up to snuff. The new elements add some smashing energy to the old tune, and even the vocals sound better with the reworking. It's just a really great remake. In fact, I'd say this is a rare treat. So far, it's on my "Frequently Listened To" list. Not much else to say about it that everyone doesn't already know, though, seeing as it's a remake.

4. Nick Mansell/Burn Me Up 10/10

An excellent track, one that reminded me immediately of "Hurricane", one of his previous hits. The guitar notes really hit the spot in this song, along with the rough, hard vocals by Nick that make the entire song sound like a hard rock ballad, which really went well for me. The synths don't blow the guitar away too much and that's just great. Tied with a nice, hard, speedy beat, the song is an excellent companion for a little competitive driving!

5. Lolita Feat. Annalise/Screaming 5/10

Sounds a lot like like a pop ballad. It's not bad, it's just not very interesting, and it is more of a background tune more than anything else. It's a lot like filler in this volume, and it's not something I'd listen to repeatedly like the other tracks, but I wouldn't skip past it either. It's just overall kind of average and and boring, with uninspired synths and vocals, not to mention an overall lack of drive and energy.

6. Mike West/Baby Illusion 5/10

Gah. Another boring song, flat and toneless. Again, it's not bad by any means, I just wouldn't want to hear it repeatedly. I'd fall asleep at the wheel of my car. In fact, this would be an excellent track to listen to while I try to get to sleep. It's nothing we haven't heard before, just standard SEB vocals and synths, mishmashed into an uninteresting track.

7. Fancy/Cover Girl 9/10

FINALLY. Some energy and real emotion after all that boringness. The into is really kind of "meh" and initially I thought it was going to be boring, but then it kicked into high gear and I loved it. The synth is bouncy and energetic like anything I'd expect from the well-known name Fancy, and the vocals are cute and just as energy-filled as the synths, along with a nice, fast tempo.

8. Franz Tornado/Baila Companero 8/10

Ugh. The Intro is terrible. The rest of the song is pretty good, though. It's standard Franz fare, which I like, with fun, silly vocals and a bouncy, fast synth and beat. It's pretty good, the usual good track I expect to hear from HI-NRG. Nothing hit-making though.

9. Dave Simon/Speed Man 11/10

OH MY GOD! Listening to this reminded me of when I heard the legendary "Space Boy" for the first time. When I listened to this song I was transported by the sound waves into a small white Toyota AE86 and sent careening down a tiny mountain road. That's how awesome this song is. From the intro to the end there is not a single thing I find wrong with this track, it is all good, there isn't a thing I don't like! From the strong vocals by Dave Simon backed by the guitar and rough synth, plus the hard, strong beat and the furious chorus...it's just a rock-and-rolling romp all the way through! It made me want to RACE, let me tell you! I'm not going to be listening to this in my car, I'll end up with FIFTY speeding tickets!

10. Mika La-Do/I Am Your Barracuda 9/10

Eh, well, it's not bad, it's actually good, but the initial awesome of "Speed Man" made this song sound really bad at first. Then I listened to it on its own and it reminds me in a strange way of "Pun Pun Beam" with its quiry lyrics and fast paced beat and synths. Nothing makes sense in this song of course but that's HRG Studios for you. The usual fun-filled songs. It's a good track, just overshadowed by "Speed Man"

11. Mega NRG Man/In The Sunrise 10/10

Another good track by the talented Mega NRG Man. The intro was a little off(are strange intros a trend or something??)but the rest of the song was really nice. Cruising synths mixed with a steady beat and the usual high-quality vocals we come to expect from Mega NRG made for a really nice song that reminded me of old hits like "Back On The Rocks".
Yay Mexico. What is it with Spanish\Mexican themes and Euro artists anyway?

12. Helena/Your Love is Melody 5/10

Yawn! Yawny Yawn Yaaaawn! This track is so flat, it could put me to sleep faster than a blow to the back of the head. Slow Italo synths and '80's beat are used quite badly here to cobble together an uninteresting track, mixed with rather uninspired vocals that sound like a throwback from some cheesy 80's love song from America. It's not all that bad though. Not so bad that I can't listen to it.

13. Pink Star/Only When I Dance 9/10

Um...okay, I'll say this really quickly. When I see the name of the artist that made this song, I giggle like a schoolgirl inside. It could be the subject of a thousand sexual jokes, but aside from that, ON WITH THE REVIEW! The intro is great, which was a relief, and the rest of the song is pretty good. There are some distinct elements that remind me of some of the older SEB volumes and that helped a lot. The beat really made me want to dance for some reason. The vocals are also pretty good, reminiscent of Elena Gobbi for some reason...

14. Kochiss/Born To Love You 9/10

This one is not all that bad either. The into initially made me think there would be female vocals, but then a male singer whacked me over the head with some driving, Disco-like singing. It went well with the melody and the synth riffs, not to mention the fast beat. The entire song is pretty good and flows together very well. There's only one small complaint and it's the misleading intro.

15. Dave And Nuage/Another Miracle 6/10

Hmm... this track reminded me right away of some of the songs from the 130's of the SEB era for some reason, but the track sounds far too much like a carbon copy of "Car of Your Dreams" for me to like it despite that. What can I say? Everything is just like "Car of Your Dreams". There's not much that's changed and there's not much that makes it stand out. It's really just a rehash, but listenable.

16. Pretty Woman/Cherry Girl 9/10

Man. Yet another bad intro yields to a very good song, much better than "Cybersexy Girl", the horrendous song that initially made me afraid of this track. The fast melody and the rap in the background, along with the high vocals reminds me of the Euromach series and that's good. Nice to see that old Euromach energy restarted a little. In fact, we need to hear more songs like this.

17. King And Queen/Say You'll Be There 10/10

WOW. I thought that 4*tune had hit the spot when they made the J-euro track "Say You'll Be Mine" but damn. This version makes the original sound worse. It has that extra energy the other one was lacking, with powerful, driving vocals that the original did not have, along with slightly fuller melodies and stronger beat, with a nice feeling all around. It's another track that put me in a drivin' mood. Coupled with this and "Speed Man", I'm not sure if I can take all this excitement!

18. Dusty/Go Wild

All right! Another powerful track by Ennio! this song reminded me STRONGLY of "Revolution" but with a darker, stronger touch. The melody and rhythm is really energetic yet rough and dark, with the synths sounding ALMOST like "Revolution" but not too much, which gave it that added spice. The harsh vocals only made the entire sound sound a lot better with the "Revolution"-inspired beat tying the entire thing together into another song that really kicked the end of the album up a notch. It was a glorious end to an awesome volume of SEB.

Final Judgement:

Aside from a few "filler" tracks, SEB 173 is non-stop brilliance. I love it. Reminds me of the old days.

9/10

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 31 Jan 2007, 05:34

Hope you don't mind some comments. ^^;
Wataru Akiyama wrote:Review GET!

Sounds a lot like like a pop ballad. It's not bad, it's just not very interesting, and it is more of a background tune more than anything else. It's a lot like filler in this volume, and it's not something I'd listen to repeatedly like the other tracks, but I wouldn't skip past it either. It's just overall kind of average and and boring, with uninspired synths and vocals, not to mention an overall lack of drive and energy.
Woah, were we listenning to the same song? I thought it had tons of energy. The lyrics really jump out at me, for starters. I was feeling it in the vocals, too... maybe the production is pretty generic ABeatC fare, but I don't necessarily think that hurts it that much.
Wataru Akiyama wrote: 9. Dave Simon/Speed Man 11/10

OH MY GOD! Listening to this reminded me of when I heard the legendary "Space Boy" for the first time. When I listened to this song I was transported by the sound waves into a small white Toyota AE86 and sent careening down a tiny mountain road. That's how awesome this song is. From the intro to the end there is not a single thing I find wrong with this track, it is all good, there isn't a thing I don't like! From the strong vocals by Dave Simon backed by the guitar and rough synth, plus the hard, strong beat and the furious chorus...it's just a rock-and-rolling romp all the way through! It made me want to RACE, let me tell you! I'm not going to be listening to this in my car, I'll end up with FIFTY speeding tickets!
Took the words right out of my mouth. Glad to see someone else really enjoying this one. ^_^ It really screams Initial D in every way, doesn't it? It evokes a lot of cool imagery to me! I feel I could drive faster just by listening to it!

Good review, too... it looks like you really enjoyed the album.

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 31 Jan 2007, 07:07

Cosmic_Bard wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth. Glad to see someone else really enjoying this one. ^_^ It really screams Initial D in every way, doesn't it? It evokes a lot of cool imagery to me! I feel I could drive faster just by listening to it!
Oh he's not the only one. My fave track on this SEB. All I need is for T-RREX to choreo this song and I'd be a very happy man 8)

Wataru Akiyama
Eurobeat Master

Post by Wataru Akiyama » 31 Jan 2007, 14:09

Cosmic_Bard wrote:Hope you don't mind some comments. ^^;
Nope! I love comments. It means people actually read it.
Cosmic_Bard wrote:
Wataru Akiyama wrote:Review GET!

Woah, were we listenning to the same song? I thought it had tons of energy. The lyrics really jump out at me, for starters. I was feeling it in the vocals, too... maybe the production is pretty generic ABeatC fare, but I don't necessarily think that hurts it that much.
Well, it just didn't have that fresh edge it needed so badly. It's not all that bad, just bland in my tastes.
Cosmic_Bard wrote:

Good review, too... it looks like you really enjoyed the album.
Ah, thanks. "Speed Man" is a track that should at least be on a Super GT album to commemorate its status. I cannot impress enough how much this track rocks. It also happens to remind me of "Terminator" and that's a good thing considering how much I like "Terminator".

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 31 Jan 2007, 14:39

My fave track on this album is the awesome Burn Me Up - I love the way they combine synths and elec guitars in the hook, just like they did in the amazing Mission Impossible. I'm such an SCP fanboy nowadays! :lol:
Last edited by the_ditz on 31 Jan 2007, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 31 Jan 2007, 21:33

the_ditz wrote:My fave track on this album is the awesome Burn Me Up - I love the way they combine synths and elec guitars in the hook, just like they did in the amazing Mission Impossible. I'm suck an SCP fanboy nowadays! :lol:
Well, the more I listen to it, the more I come to that conclusion. Nicola's vocals are really great here... at first I thought the song was a bit out of place for him for some reason, but I'm really starting to enjoy it.

SCP's fairly on and off for me these days... there was a lot of crap in the 160s...

valiant
Eurobeat Master

Post by valiant » 31 Jan 2007, 23:28

Fastway is truely gold in the 170s so far. First with Power (yes with Ace), then Go Racin' Go, Go Wild and his new incredible work: Rocking Hardcore. Fastway truely is amazing so far. Same with Nick Mansell, Burn me up was an excellent track I just wished they used him more often :D . I am just hoping Ace would get another awesome track like Fighting Over Freedom.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 02 Feb 2007, 07:55

SPEEDMAN RULES

Right up there with Pride,Terminator, and Touch & GO

Wataru Akiyama
Eurobeat Master

Post by Wataru Akiyama » 02 Feb 2007, 12:07

Pic related to another one of my favorites.

DJ Mike TJG
Eurohero

Post by DJ Mike TJG » 26 Jun 2008, 20:50

Far be it for me to dig up such an old thread, but I was listening back through this album to songs I've not heard in yonks, and one song suddenly jumped out:

Helena / Your Love Is Melody

I just realised (and am quite surprised I missed this last time round) that this is a remake of:

Rose / I Wanna Be Your Love

Obviously not a direct remake a la the 2004/05/06/07/08 songs but nonetheless the chord structure/verses/chorus are very much the same.

To be honest it's not such a bad song for me, just that the instrumental bit isn't so strong.