SEB 174

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
jeurobeat
God of Romance

Post by jeurobeat » 04 Feb 2007, 10:11

drnrg wrote: As far as Domino is concerned, as long as she doesn't sing in Japanese, her songs are so so.
Fever was a good song!

Jion

Post by Jion » 04 Feb 2007, 17:38

My Review Of Super Eurobeat Volume 174

01 - Dave Rodgers - Make Up Your Mind

When I first saw this title, I didn't expect that Dave would be able to pull it off. It's kind of a double edged sword to take a classic sung by someone and redo it. Some will always reach for the older version by another singer while others will love you for making it sound better. I personally enjoy this version for several things; it isn't the typical Dave style (see Eldorado or Space Boy) and it's done in the new style of A-Beat C with modified synths. It's very well done in my opinion and welcome as A-Beat C doesn't overkill us with redo's. As of today, they've only released 5 (Wild Reputation 2005, Like A Virgin 2005, On My Own 2006, I Wanna Take You Up (which borrows massively from Shake Me Up) and Make Up Your Mind).

4/5

02 - Annalise - Day After Day

The lyrics are written brilliantly. Very deep. The song also is very much in the style of Lolita. You can defiantly see Elena Gobbi singing this song. The singing is great but at the end of the day, you feel like theres not much this song offers that you haven't heard before. It's a very beautiful song, just not amazing or all that spectacular.

3/5

03 - Time Force - Love Me In The Heat Of The Night

All of these remakes must be having an effect on Time Records... The sabi sounds like it was ripped off Music Fever and just given different notes. As much as I love Gambogi's songs, this is really too much like things that he's done. They have modified the synths a slight bit but not enough to make you say they're totally new. Very disappointed since the last Time Force song, Time Of Love, was a classic in my book.

2/5

04 - Ciao Ciao - Shadow In Your Smile

This is great! Done in classic HRG style and the main vocal is not pitched (if it is, it's very subtle). The only flaw vocally I see is a point I've repeatedly stated, the overuse of the backing vocals (which are overly pitched). Musically, the song is clean and very smooth. Nice to see HRG doing something new that's old!

4/5

05 - Mega NRG Man - Black Jack

At first it seemed like this song was going to take the same route of his previous song (the "Sinclaire" style) but once it takes off after the sabi, it's very typical Marin. The various trance effects though the song don't really add much as this song seems to fizzle out after a while. The chorus is very bland than what I'm used to from Marin. Not horrible but not super great either.

3/5

06 - Kelly T. - Take Me To Heaven

Old style A-Beat C done in the new style of A-Beat C! The vocals are really clear and very reminiscent of Norma Sheffield while having an identity of its own. The only weak point is while the song is trying to be really epic, it never reaches that point in your mind, at least maybe not yet. It's a great ride however that I feel given time could become a great hit.

4/5

07 - Phil & Linda - Into The Groove

The disco feeling returns! I love this sound from Time Records. The only knock I have against this song is the structure is almost identical to Only For Love Only For You. Especially when Phil starts singing the a-melo, you start thinking "did they really just rip that off?". However the rest of the song is a blast to listen. I just wish Time could have this much magic with all the songs they make.

5/5

08 - Candy Taylor - Sweet Sixteen Girl

What annoys me about this song is the dramatic jump from the sabi to the a-melo (you don't notice this however from sabi to the b-melo). The notes don't match and it's very apparent when you hear it. The guitar rockin' in the background is nice however, the song as a whole feels too fast as if it's going to fall apart. Almost as if it's trying to mimic the style of Chemical Love but doesn't have it's cohesiveness. I slightly expected much from this song as it's been a while since we've heard a new song by Clara (singing that is) and this isn't what I expected. Not bad again but not phenomenal.

3/5

09 - Christine feat. Elvis El Latino - Viva La Noche

NOW THIS IS WHATS UP! This song is amazing! The overall feeling, while not as fast as many songs on this CD, is extremely more powerful than the previous songs! What really hits you is once you hear Elvis Rodriguez Martinez rapping for a great deal. I never thought anyone outside of Move would be able to successfully do real rapping in a Eurobeat song and pull it off (Fastway's doesn't count as I consider that more fast singing). And he raps in Spanish which is very impressive to me that they took that chance as Spanish isn't as universal a language as English. The whole song is just a powerhouse on this CD. Amazing!

5/5

10 - Cherry - Please Forgive Me

The introduction is gorgeous and the lyrics are very deep compared to other songs. However I feel that it doesn't really rise up to the level of previous Cherry songs. The singing is only subpar which is a real disappointment. Reminds me of the previous Leslie Parrish song by Sinclaire, This Love. It never gets out of the gate and really shows you something new.

2/5

11 - Jungle Bill - Caterpillar Man

With so much going on in the song, I never thought I would be so bored with a song. The structure of the song is new especially in regards to how they have the singing. The lyrics are atrocious which is to be expected. The last part of the chorus seems to be taken out of Bazooka Man as the Man and the last few notes are reverb and taken from Bazooka Man. I didn't expect much from this song and was left with much less... It just doesn't seem like a cohesive song as each part is going off in different directions.

1/5

12 - Kasanova - You And Me Forever

The introduction like most Time songs, is absolutely gorgeous. Again like the previous Gambogi song, this shares a lot with previous Kasanova titles. However this is as a whole is much better than the Time Force song. Much more powerful and better sung. The song evokes a feeling of walking through a night time Venice singing this song to the one you love. It's very smooth and nice to listen to. The synths remind me of the Mark Gillan title, Honesty, just not as forced and stretched. Very well done overall.

4/5

13 - Paul Harris - Generation Of Love

It's interesting how different Luca sounds with Capaldi as compared to when he's singing with Castagna or Newfield. The song is a very nice change as to the stuff he's been singing. Has a very rockish feeling while working in some soul. I was impressed with this song.

4/5

14 - Digital Planet - Today

Every time I hear the sabi, it reminds me of the Simon Koh song Come On Come On. The vocals by Stefano Brandoni are awesome like always. Not your typical Digital Planet song yet still familiar. Great work

4/5

15 - Helena - Melodies Of Love 2007

I was never a fan of the original so hearing how sped up the new version is doesn't impress me much. It just seems like the music matches the singing all that well. On the plus side, the song has an actual ending and the singing is well done. Just not a favorite of mine. But it is a well done remake.

3/5

16 - Fastway - Rockin' Hardcore

YES! Such power! Well sung and musically superior to many of the songs on this CD. It's so hot! While it is faster than most SCP songs done now, it's so well done. The B-Melo is gorgeous and just smoothly leads up to the powerful and great chorus. The slight echo they give the synths gives it a very epic feeling. My new ringtone! Fastway can do no wrong!

5/5

17 - Nuage - Give Me A Sign

Nuage is one of my favorite Eurobeat acts. The new style they're implementing on her is very welcome. More powerful than Shine, it's showcases a new side of Nuage. Very awesome.

5/5

18 - Powerful T. - Into The Daylight

This is how you do Powerful T.! As perhaps Powerful T.'s biggest fan, I was so disappointed with Ace Of Spades. This more than makes up for it. His singing is so smooth all throughout it. I can only imagine what the remix is like (I believe its going to be released on 176?). Destined to be a great hit!

5/5

Top songs of 174

Phil & Linda - Into The Groove
Christine feat. Elvis El Latino - Viva La Noche
Fastway - Rockin' Hardcore
Nuage - Give Me A Sign
Powerful T. - Into The Daylight

Album Grade - 3.5/5

This is very unfortunate that the weakest album in the 170s has some of the best songs at the same time. As a whole, the album doesn't really rise above the same ol same ol. These five songs however really showcase the strengths of their particular labels. Great to have Powerful T. doing a great song again!
You can hate me but you know you have quality issues =p

MarkIventi
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MarkIventi » 05 Feb 2007, 02:18

I changed my mind about "Day After Day"... those vocals are just ANGELIC! I cannot remember any Eurobeat vocalist ever putting out such quality vocals...

My favourite track is Kasanova though, absolutely mindblowing!
Kelly T. comes in second

Ricfiam
Eurobeat Master

Post by Ricfiam » 05 Feb 2007, 07:43

For me this is an average album.
Very Like:
-Dave Rodgers
-Annalise *****!!!
-Christine *****!!!
-Fastway *****!!!
-Powerful T.
Don't like:
-Cherry
-Phil & Linda (someone please, kill this band!!)
-Paul Harris - boring
All the others just usual.
...I remember that time...
D I A B O L I K

DJ Mike
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by DJ Mike » 05 Feb 2007, 10:04

I'll say this much for the bonus disc - it's nice to hear the downmixing quality of those old songs improved - Virtual Love especially suffered from a somewhat tinny sound in its original EB Flash release.

DJ Mike
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by DJ Mike » 05 Feb 2007, 14:49

Well, I've had the chance to listen through everything in detail now. Quite a good selection this time out (I have to say, I think far more highly of this than 173).

Must say, my favourite is fast looking to be Kelly T, "Take Me To Heaven" - a very nice, melodic song that is very close to being a 2007 remake of Norma Sheffield's "Sweet Heaven" from SEB 44 - there's a huge number of similarities between the two!

It would appear that A-Beat C is full of retro right now ;-) In fact, if I'm not mistaken that would mark two songs from the SAME SEB (44) that have been updated in some fashion for this CD!

jeurobeat
God of Romance

Post by jeurobeat » 05 Feb 2007, 15:50

That's what I thought as well: a copy of 'sweet heaven'! (just like Your Love Is Melody (173) resembled 'I wanna be your love' a bit)

Jion

Post by Jion » 05 Feb 2007, 16:57

Her voice is very similar to Norma's. I'm not surprised they're taking from her material to give to Kelly T. But she has a clearer and much nicer voice (in my opinion) than Norma's. I was never a big fan of Norma.
You can hate me but you know you have quality issues =p

Schiznik
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Schiznik » 06 Feb 2007, 01:36

Yay! I just got the album. Gonna give it a few listens and post a review. :)
~Forget the bus, take the Express Love!~

MarkIventi
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MarkIventi » 06 Feb 2007, 02:06

Norma's voice may not be outstanding, but she's the most consistent A.Beat-C artist in my opinion and the only one with her own style. Also she's done MANY of my alltime favourites: It's For Your Eyes, Diamonds Of Forever, I Will Remember, Honey Be Mine, Maybe Tonight, Many Too Many, Suspiria, I Like You So Much, Suddenly You, Sunshine, Love Me, Step Inside My Lovin', Sunny Life - the list is ENDLESS!

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 06 Feb 2007, 06:40

MarkIventi wrote:Norma's voice may not be outstanding, but she's the most consistent A.Beat-C artist in my opinion and the only one with her own style. Also she's done MANY of my alltime favourites: It's For Your Eyes, Diamonds Of Forever, I Will Remember, Honey Be Mine, Maybe Tonight, Many Too Many, Suspiria, I Like You So Much, Suddenly You, Sunshine, Love Me, Step Inside My Lovin', Sunny Life - the list is ENDLESS!
I love Norma's voice too... there are a ton of songs I really like that others dislike because norma sounds too 'bland' or the song is too 'boring.' :C

Schiznik
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Schiznik » 06 Feb 2007, 08:12

Nine wrote:
MarkIventi wrote:Norma's voice may not be outstanding, but she's the most consistent A.Beat-C artist in my opinion and the only one with her own style. Also she's done MANY of my alltime favourites: It's For Your Eyes, Diamonds Of Forever, I Will Remember, Honey Be Mine, Maybe Tonight, Many Too Many, Suspiria, I Like You So Much, Suddenly You, Sunshine, Love Me, Step Inside My Lovin', Sunny Life - the list is ENDLESS!
I love Norma's voice too... there are a ton of songs I really like that others dislike because norma sounds too 'bland' or the song is too 'boring.' :C
Well, her songs are usually slow, boring, and yes, bland. It's hard trying to listen to a more recent Norma song. Eurobeat's supposed to be fast and energetic, which is why most of her recent work isnt that great... But I will admit I did like some of her old songs.

Oh, and so far the album is great! (except caterpillar man...)

but wow, Shadow in your smile is the first Hi-NRG song I actually will listen through more than once.

One more thing, DELTA. They need to stop with the same labels like Paul Harris at least for a while and bring back D.Essex and Marko Polo!
Where the hell has Maurizio been?

Jay
God of Romance

Post by Jay » 06 Feb 2007, 08:22

Schiznik wrote:One more thing, DELTA. They need to stop with the same labels like Paul Harris at least for a while and bring back D.Essex and Marko Polo!
Where the hell has Maurizio been?
Not really Delta's fault, but yeah. I would say the same for Ennio Zanini; while his songs are great for the most part, Avex really needs to stop overdoing it. Rockin' Hardcore kind of bored me because it reminded me a lot of Power, which I overplayed to death. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that it's a bit superfluous.

When's the last time Ace went solo? Over 10 albums ago, yeesh.

Shadow In Your Smile is definitely one great HRG song. Hopefully they'll keep the same level of seriousness and quality in their future songs. Reminds me of I Am Your Barracuda, which I also love. Other great songs on the album in my opinion: Into The Groove and Viva La Noche.

And as I already said in another topic, Melodies Of Love 2007 is horrible. The vocalwork makes my ears bleed.

MarkIventi
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MarkIventi » 07 Feb 2007, 01:09

I can't believe what I'm reading here...

"Eurobeat is supposed to be fast/agressive"

I suppose you've only been around for the past few years? Eurobeat has been with us since the mid-80s and has always been more about romance, sweet instruments, chords and semi-emotional layers. Especially the songs Giancarlo did and still does!

"Norma's songs may seem a bit bland"

Are we listening to the same music? I have to agree that her last 6 or 7 songs were boring, but what's 6 or 7 when she has done about 50 in total? To me, Norma always stood for interesting chord changes. Interesting meaning SPECTACULAR. As in chord changes that no other song in ANY music style has ever had, almost "experimental" at times. Especially the bridges in Norma's songs always felt so emotional due to these changes. Think of "I Will Remember", "Step Inside My Lovin" and "Honey Be Mine". Norma means romance, and I hope this magical touch will return in her songs (read: that she'll get the best songs in her own style again) but let's not dismiss her for having a few bad songs in a row.

Schiznik
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Schiznik » 07 Feb 2007, 02:44

MarkIventi wrote:I can't believe what I'm reading here...

"Eurobeat is supposed to be fast/agressive"

I suppose you've only been around for the past few years? Eurobeat has been with us since the mid-80s and has always been more about romance, sweet instruments, chords and semi-emotional layers. Especially the songs Giancarlo did and still does!

"Norma's songs may seem a bit bland"

Are we listening to the same music? I have to agree that her last 6 or 7 songs were boring, but what's 6 or 7 when she has done about 50 in total? To me, Norma always stood for interesting chord changes. Interesting meaning SPECTACULAR. As in chord changes that no other song in ANY music style has ever had, almost "experimental" at times. Especially the bridges in Norma's songs always felt so emotional due to these changes. Think of "I Will Remember", "Step Inside My Lovin" and "Honey Be Mine". Norma means romance, and I hope this magical touch will return in her songs (read: that she'll get the best songs in her own style again) but let's not dismiss her for having a few bad songs in a row.
Hehe, sorry, I didnt word myself right. :o

When I said Eurobeat is supposed to be "fast and aggressive" i meant that's the style I like the most, and that's the kind of eurobeat thats more (dont know if this is the right word to describe it) "mainstream" than romantic, slow songs. And really, you have to admit, the group of people that listen to the fast/aggresive songs is whats still keeping Eurobeat alive. (aka the whole Para Para scene etc..)
You wont hear a Norma song being played at some Para Para Rave.

However, us Eurobeat enthusiasts can appreciate the different types of music in Eurobeat, and I was simply stating that I dont really like Norma's more recent songs that much. The reason I dont really like her new songs is because they all sound the same =/. They're nothing special and very easy to forget. Same with Helena. I really like "Step Inside my Lovin" and "Honey be Mine". Great, memorable songs, but where has that gone? Also, I guess by fast/aggressive I meant more fast, less agressive. And her old songs were moderately fast. She just needs a new style to keep things fresh.

That's just me, and I dont really like many female singers (with the exception of Elena Gobbi, Nuage and Clara Moroni). Oh, and i've been listening to Eurobeat ever since the late 80's..

Heh, I dont know where I'm going with this but I hope that clears up confusions in my previous post. Anyone still know what M de Jorio is up to?