Radio vs. Extended Edits

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
DJ Mike TJG
Eurohero

Post by DJ Mike TJG » 15 May 2007, 14:49

Is Europanic a megamix-style album (a la Euromach) or separate edits, though?

My biggest objection to Euromach is that we've seldom ever seen the songs on that series released separately - although I'm really hoping for more old Euromach/Eurobeat Flash era stuff to make an appearance in extended form for the first time on these new Extended CDs Avex is doing on SEB :)

Jion

Post by Jion » 15 May 2007, 20:19

DJ Mike TJG wrote:Is Europanic a megamix-style album (a la Euromach) or separate edits, though?

My biggest objection to Euromach is that we've seldom ever seen the songs on that series released separately - although I'm really hoping for more old Euromach/Eurobeat Flash era stuff to make an appearance in extended form for the first time on these new Extended CDs Avex is doing on SEB :)
Europanic 1 and 2 started out as "Radio Edit" cds though compared to SEB, they were really shortened to about 2.5 to 3 min long songs. Though in all fairness, the CD did have 2 more tracks than your usual SEB CD (20 total per Europanic compared to 18 on SEB). Then on Europanic 3 - 6, they became a megamix series. I agree with the beef with Euromach as my philosophy is that no song should be released on a nonstop and not have it released as a radio or extended. I like what they did with JGTC 2003 Second Round where they did put 10 songs first on that nonstop (Big On Emotion, I Wanna Take A Chance, Stormy Night, Gettin' You Gettin' Me, Standby & Please Rewind, Hai Hai Hai (Dance Across The Nations), Mad About You, On The Road Again, Walk Around The Jungle, Samurai Samurai) before they released it on a CD edit or extended. It felt like it was a sample of whats to come in the future which I do feel they should do more often. But to release it on a nonstop and then not release it as an extended or CD should be avoided at all costs. And no vinyl doesn't count as the majority of Eurobeat listeners either a)don't have the money to splunk on bids at Yahoo Japan for rare vinyls b) find vinyls to be rather inconvenient for the most part when most of the stuff they listen to are CDs or mp3s or c) just don't know where to get vinyls at. You do get a warmer sound from vinyl, but its very hard to come by and not as practical as a CD or mp3 download. Oh yeah and on that note, boo on Mora for not allowing you to download outside of Japan. Totally wrong especially when I've been looking for the extended of Shake Me Up and Music Fever for forever...
You can hate me but you know you have quality issues =p

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 16 May 2007, 01:02

Actually the majority of Euromach's songs were released on Vinyl. HRG for example and Boom Boom Beat, but like you said most fans don't collect 12's(am I the only one) :?

Europanic on the other hand had next to nothing released on 12'. and while they did include 2 more songs than standard SEB format, what good is it when a song doesn't even include the third verse or lacks the much beefy intro? King Of Fire was a great song, but over with before you even started to sing along.
What I do like about SEB edits is that most labels have mastered the formula and the majority of songs now include the intro and in some cases outro. Big progress from the radio edits included on Vinyl ,for what I can only guess were for Promo purpose?

STILL EXTENDED ALL THE WAY 8)

DJ Mike TJG
Eurohero

Post by DJ Mike TJG » 16 May 2007, 09:44

My problem with the vinyls is that you're taking something produced entirely in the digital domain and recording it back to analogue, with all the background noise and crackling therein. And before people real out the old "vinyl sounds better than CD" chestnut - that was a valid argument in the 80s when CDs were being produced from vinyl masters which were specifically engineered to sound good on vinyl, but has no merit with modern recording - especially music recorded entirely in the digital domain. If you prefer the sound of vinyl, it's 99% likely to be your setup that makes it sound good, not the recording.

Avex, give us more extendeds on CD, damn it! Euromach first, please :)

DigitalCyber
Eurocurious

Post by DigitalCyber » 16 May 2007, 21:49

Cosmic_Bard wrote:IIRC, there's a really amazing guitar solo we don't get to hear in the standard version of "Pilot is the Hero".
can someone confirm this?

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 17 May 2007, 01:29

I don't really mind extended versions, so long as they aren't too repetitive and don't fade out. Not that they're better than radio edits, though.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 17 May 2007, 01:59

Vinyls Rule. They are the only realy way to mix songs effectively(besides a recording studio). I've heard many Mixes that are created on a P.C. and never do they capture the perfect fusing as do two Vinyls mixed side by side. One of the saddest days in Eurobeat is when the record labels stopped pressing vinyls the way they used to in the 90's. Actually I can blame the fans for being such dweebs and stopped buying them. It also made me look for a desk job :evil:

Phil Jay Falcon

Re: Radio vs. Extended Edits

Post by Phil Jay Falcon » 15 May 2019, 18:01

This is a stupid question.

Extended, of course! 8)

With short radio edits I can't be satisfied, cause they are to short. I want to enjoy the music as long as possible. In my playlist most of the songs are extended, if available. For example "Hi Energy" from Disco Vega. This song is so good, no, it's outstanding. It should be clear, that I listen to the extended version, which goes 8 Minutes. The radio edit just goes 4 minutes. This is nothing.
For me, most songs could be even longer as extended. I would even still listening to my favourites, if they even are 15 Minutes long. I don't like it, when the song starts and then you're really in, but after 4 minutes it's quite again. Just look at "Brand new world" from Ace. Such a great song, but only 4 Minutes. It could be longer for.... 10 Minutes. :wink: Yes, I would prefer this. And in one thing, you can really trust me. I never..., seriously, NEVER get tired of this, even if I hear the same song for 15 Minutes or even longer. Cause with this, you can hold your Hype-Level.

Long time, I had also "Imagination" from David Off just as Radio Edit. It starts somehow and stops somehow. But not with the Extended Version.

There are so many Eurobeat-tracks, which I would to hear extended. Like Hotblade's "Showdown" or Fastway's "Been a bang". There's still some potential in those songs and this should not be wasted. It would be really great if you could get the maximum out of a song. This is why I always prefer longer edits.

Who's with me?

alpines
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by alpines » 15 May 2019, 19:27

Phil Jay Falcon wrote: 15 May 2019, 18:01Who's with me?
Not me that's for sure.

I seriously dislike extendeds because 5 minutes if even too long for me. My range goes from >1 ~ 4 minutes. Rarely to 5 and above.
The reason is simple. I don't like listening to extendeds since the beginning and ending are just waste of time for my taste.

Same was with Hands Up music which I used to listen before I got into eurobeat. I didn't like the 5 minute extended versions where you have two minutes (one each front/back) only high hats and bass drum sounds and a few kicks just to mix in.
With eurobeat that's of course a different story altogether, you don't have these monotic parts but you have intro skits or some sort of that.

But when I'm out walking or riding the bus I don't want to listen to these parts, I want music, energy, I want to get my blood boiled up.
So I'd rather --- and I'm pretty sure some people will get furious over this --- pick my favorite non-stop mixed version of it and use it on my phone when I want to listen to music. Yeah you heard me right, I'd rather have some other song mixed in at the beginning and the end.

I love non-stop mixes and especially creative glitching and vocal fx on the track rather than the original version.
Different Girl / An-G 's riff sounds way better on the Vol. 240 non-stop (Disc 1).

Atop of that, I love hard cuts between tracks, especially if they just crush it. My favorite transition of all time is DJ 1ofakind's 1.2.3.4 Fire! mix.
The transistion preparation itself is very long but the cut is hard: https://youtu.be/XdTJ7dm4EFc?t=162

That is hands down the BEST transition ever made.

And the plus side for using non-stop cuts in my library is that if my player switches between tracks, many cuts are spot on and it sounds like hard cut mixing. I don't know how man times I got tricked by thinking that it was an actual mix on my player although it were completely independent songs.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't like mixes which blast through tons of songs on 70 minutes and cover like 50 seconds of it, that's WAY too short. But ~3 minutes is the sweet spot.

So neither radio nor extended, but non-stop mixes all the way. :)

jeurobeat
God of Romance

Post by jeurobeat » 23 May 2019, 18:29

Phil Jay Falcon wrote: 15 May 2019, 18:01And in one thing, you can really trust me. I never..., seriously, NEVER get tired of this, even if I hear the same song for 15 Minutes or even longer. Cause with this, you can hold your Hype-Level.

Long time, I had also "Imagination" from David Off just as Radio Edit. It starts somehow and stops somehow. But not with the Extended Version.

There are so many Eurobeat-tracks, which I would to hear extended. Like Hotblade's "Showdown" or Fastway's "Been a bang". There's still some potential in those songs and this should not be wasted. It would be really great if you could get the maximum out of a song. This is why I always prefer longer edits.

Who's with me?
I certainly am! Imagination is a great track.

If you like your songs to be almost 15 minutes, this Tantra might be just the song for you, even though it is not eurobeat:
youtu.be/vB63u_2cBtM

norinorinori
Bad Bad Bad

Post by norinorinori » 25 May 2019, 23:48

The sweet spot for a run of the mill song before it starts to drag on for me is around 4 minutes; somewhat ingrained through mainstream music. I love having extended versions of most of my favorites though.