Radio vs. Extended Edits

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
DJ Mike TJG
Eurohero

Radio vs. Extended Edits

Post by DJ Mike TJG » 12 Apr 2007, 08:45

I must confess, I'm a little surprised at the Extended version of Ace feat. Lat Gatta / "One Touch" - I actually prefer the radio edit. The extended adds 20 seconds of guff in the middle (that doesn't contribute much), but more surprisingly has a fade-out at the end instead of the cool dissolve :o That was the most disappointing part (I've always felt that fade-outs are second-fiddle to having a decent ending).

Increasingly I'm finding that I prefer radio edits for general listening purely because most of the stuff cut is filler material. (I do still like to have Extendeds for mixing purposes, though!)

So has anyone else found they've actually preferred the Radio edit of a song compared to the Extended?

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 12 Apr 2007, 08:55

Um.. It would have to be a BIG NO for me. No way is a radio edit better. If you collected 12's like me, you would see how clearly the radio(SEB) edit cuts away all the meaty parts. Two labels that have really mastered that SEB edit are HRG ATTACK and DELTA...but unfortunately , my fav. Label TIME doesn't get too creative with thier edits(few exceptions) like Pride are really good radio edits :grin:

Ricfiam
Eurobeat Master

Post by Ricfiam » 12 Apr 2007, 10:42

Yes! Say no to radio! 8) :grin:
Who like to get a part of a song when you KNOW there is a long way?
...I remember that time...
D I A B O L I K

Toni
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Toni » 12 Apr 2007, 13:59

One word:

EXTENDED!

Radio edits are for the radio. Whenever do you hear Eurobeat on a commercial/popular radiostation dammit... :cry:
I'm on the Road Again - Powerful T.

CheeseCake! Studio
Toni Productions

Currently working on: Mega NRG Team 3

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 12 Apr 2007, 14:36

I have always preferred the SEB edits to Extended versions, especially because the vast majority of extended versions I've heard sound so cut-and-paste and unnecessarily drawn-out. Mission Impossible by Nick Mansell is a prime example of this - unnecessary repitition in the middle that ruins the overall flow of the song. I've since edited it to a more SEB length or 3:51 ;)

Mikaeru
Master of Time

Post by Mikaeru » 12 Apr 2007, 16:27

Well, the extended mix is how the composers/writers/producers want their music to be heard.

Personally, I like how it is now. With the radio edits you get those few extra songs on a cd, and if you like it, you can get the extended version on mu-mo.

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 12 Apr 2007, 18:26

IIRC, there's a really amazing guitar solo we don't get to hear in the standard version of "Pilot is the Hero".

There are always little extra bits people love to hear in extended versions.

I think it's pretty simple. More music, more enjoyment, amirite? 8)

...though there are a few extended versions that tread into the 'uncomfortably long' period, like say into the 8-9 minute range. I can't think of any offhand, but I know there are at least a few.
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 12 Apr 2007, 19:16

I prefer radio edits over extended in most cases, unless I absolutely love the song to no end. I find some extended mixes to be too dragged out. :( Plus, some extended mixes in the past (like, far past, with music like from the early SEB) the extended mixes are WAY too long! ...like 50 hours person. XD

DJ Mike TJG
Eurohero

Post by DJ Mike TJG » 12 Apr 2007, 19:21

My question was if you have heard specific songs where you preferred the radio edit, not "Do you prefer radio or extended edits in general?" ;)

However, on that issue I'm divided - I tend towards Extendeds if the song merits the added material - there are quite a lot of extendeds where a song can "outstay its welcome".

I remember reading here that there is a rap segment cut out of "More Than A Feeling" on SEB 163 for the radio edit - that was disappointing to say the least!
Last edited by DJ Mike TJG on 12 Apr 2007, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 12 Apr 2007, 19:21

For myself, it depends. If the add up in the extended is very good, then, the extended is great. If not, viva the radio.

P.S I hate Fade outs in Eurobeat.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

d-tan
Eurobeat Fan

Post by d-tan » 13 Apr 2007, 22:34

I prefer Extended Mixes by ALL means!! Especially now because with recent 12" releases by avex, ALL songs are edited by DJ Gun and always have those annoying booms at the end...
I WANT YOUR AVEX POINTS!!!!11
Super Euro Power Hour

Super Racing
Euro To B

Post by Super Racing » 09 May 2007, 12:38

NO NO NO! Unless a song is horrible, extended mixes are so much better. They give the full song experience. They allow for wonderful, instrumental breaks and more variety and creativity in the music such as changing beat. The songs intro in and end much better. These awful radio edits just seem to start up immediately and are chopped off at the end.

Too many of these radio edits are just verse/chorus/music 3 times. How boring is that!? When they do try to be creative with a radio edit by putting in an instrumental or changing the background beat, the creative part is way too short to fully enjoy, maybe 16 counts.

Since SEB went to 18 4:00 tracks, almost every cd has 3 crap songs on it. I would much rather see 15 5:00 tracks with instrumental breaks and changing beats and leave off the bad music that is just a cd filler.

One thing though, i find that when there are extended mixes these days, they are not as wonderfully done as the stuff that was done on SEB 62 and before. Many of the newer extended versions just seem to have another verse/chorus/music tacked on.

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 09 May 2007, 17:28

Gott'a love them Extendeds. Then again, radio has 'just the facts' bits in their mixes... but the extendeds are longer...

...GAAH! Extendio mixes. Case closed.

KitsuneStar
Eurobeat Fan

Post by KitsuneStar » 15 May 2007, 07:31

It honestly depends on the song.

A large portion of extendeds tend to just draw the song out too long, when it didn't really need to be... ("Let's Go, Come On" being an example here, IMO), and with Eurobeat being a fast paced genre (in general) as it is, it just seems like having a song go on for nearly 6 minutes (or possibly more) makes it start to wear out its welcome...

On the other hand, some songs are just over far too quickly.. ("Ready Steady Go!" being an example.), so it really just depends on the song.

I think the better question to ask is this : Have you ever felt like a certain song has just gone on for too long, and would have benefitted from being shorter?

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 15 May 2007, 11:22

KitsuneStar
I think the better question to ask is this : Have you ever felt like a certain song has just gone on for too long, and would have benefitted from being shorter?

I've gone over some of my older 12's and even some of my newer ones from TIME,DELTA,Boom Boom Beat..and I still gotta say no to radio. It's like that old saying "Where's The Beef?" BTW I think Europanic gave a new defination to the word "Crappy edits", especially on some of thier Saifam songs, like "Man Of The Moon" the songs barely broke the 3:00 line. When I compared that to it's tru Extended, it seemed like if VICTOR corp. had just kicked me in the b**ls :evil:

I will say this however; How many felt thet songs that were actually released on 12' format, got the crappiest edits on SEB, while other songs not released on vinyl got a more creative version? Ex: Bugaboo- I'll Be Your King Kong(EurobeatFlash)