Night of Fire...why?

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
para_rigby
Euroheater

Night of Fire...why?

Post by para_rigby » 27 Jan 2008, 15:19

So obviously this seems like one of three Eurobeat songs that everyone here and the rest of the world knows (besides Mickey Mouse March and Ike Ike). My question is this: why has this song been so immensely popular in Japan?

Granted, it's a good song, but it still baffles me (after listening to Eurobeat for over five years now) how the song become synonymous with the genre itself.

Any ideas?

And stop me if there's been a thread about this before.

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 27 Jan 2008, 15:42

There's no explaining it. Night of Fire is just Night of Fire. It attracts so many people. It's like, everyone I know who hates Eurobeat loves Night of Fire. Once at an anime con I was at, they played Night of Fire during the dance and every one there FREAKED OUT over it.

It's just one of those things. Maybe delta recorded subliminal messages into the recording. Who knows? :D Even though I really can't stand to listen to it more than once in a sitting, I still enjoy it very much.

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 27 Jan 2008, 16:09

Night of Fire was one of the first songs that introduced me to Eurobeat (back when I didn't even know what Eurobeat was!)

I think it became so amazingly popular because it was used in a number of different areas. For example, I first heard it in the PS1 game Dancing Stage Disney Mix (which also featured Mickey Mouse March, Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah and a number of other Eurobeat Disney covers) and it just hit me with its power and amazingly catchy melody. The UK didn't have anything like that style of music at all, so it seemed so new and fresh to me that I had to research it a little further, and lo and behold, that's when I discovered the Super Eurobeat series.

The rest as they say is history!!

cigy41987
Euro To B

Post by cigy41987 » 27 Jan 2008, 16:33

Night of Fire is intertwined with eurobeat because:

1) It started a boom in para popularity cause it's a good song in 1997.

2) It was performed on SMAP x SMAP in 1999 and taught to kids, along with Mickey Mouse March

3) It was part of Korikki's shtick in 2005.

Most people in Japan think para para has been dead for years. You often hear eurobeat in pachinko parlors, certain stores, etc

Also, Avex has repeatedly used it and there are always new people to the para para/eurobeat scene looking for a cd or release with it.

And Avex wants money, like any business.
Please don't drop me baby~

cheeseman
Eurobeat Master

Post by cheeseman » 27 Jan 2008, 16:45

I've read somewhere that it became so popular in Japan because it was featured in some commercial... Is that true?

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 27 Jan 2008, 16:51

Night Of Fire basically signifies Initial D.

Sadie
Mega NRG Girl

Post by Sadie » 27 Jan 2008, 18:50

Nine wrote:There's no explaining it. Night of Fire is just Night of Fire. It attracts so many people. It's like, everyone I know who hates Eurobeat loves Night of Fire. Once at an anime con I was at, they played Night of Fire during the dance and every one there FREAKED OUT over it.
I have friends who think I'm insane for listening to Eurobeat, but when "Nights of Fire" comes on, they sing along with it in my car - or if it's on my mp3 player, they steal it for awhile to listen to the song a couple of times.
It's just one of those things. Maybe delta recorded subliminal messages into the recording. Who knows? :D Even though I really can't stand to listen to it more than once in a sitting, I still enjoy it very much.
I think you're onto something with the subliminal messages idea!! :X
It's sad - I can sing it in English and Japanese (... I've been listening to dream's version a lot recently).

Actually targeting the question: Japan's marketing primarily using it to sell Eurobeat.
Energy :: Mega NRG Man Fansite

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 27 Jan 2008, 22:37

I AM SO OFFENDED you love night of fire THAT YOU THINK DELTA you love night of fire WOULD STOOP TO SUCH A LOW!!!!!!youlove nightof fire!!!111ONESHIFTyoulovenightoffire!

In all honesty, Night Of Fire was, for Eurobeat, what Elvis was for Rockabilly/Rock 'n Roll: It wasn't "the best", it wasn't "the only", but it was the most commercially-engineered and just so damn HOOKY (marketable!) song that audiences HAD to take notice. Maurizio Di Jorio's voice, the synth hook... EVERYTHING comes together PERFECTLY for a very addictive (marketable!) song. Coca Cola used it, Disney used it... let's face it. What's marketable (marketable!) tends to do well (marketable!).

...(marketable!)

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 29 Jan 2008, 02:13

For me it's the woah woah's.

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 29 Jan 2008, 03:49

zoupzuop2 wrote:I AM SO OFFENDED you love night of fire THAT YOU THINK DELTA you love night of fire WOULD STOOP TO SUCH A LOW!!!!!!youlove nightof fire!!!111ONESHIFTyoulovenightoffire!

In all honesty, Night Of Fire was, for Eurobeat, what Elvis was for Rockabilly/Rock 'n Roll: It wasn't "the best", it wasn't "the only", but it was the most commercially-engineered and just so damn HOOKY (marketable!) song that audiences HAD to take notice. Maurizio Di Jorio's voice, the synth hook... EVERYTHING comes together PERFECTLY for a very addictive (marketable!) song. Coca Cola used it, Disney used it... let's face it. What's marketable (marketable!) tends to do well (marketable!).

...(marketable!)
Let's not forget the cheesy and super-popular music video for it, starring the imposing Edoardo Arlenghi. That guy's a giant, especially in Japan. I'm sure he helped sell a few CDs. :P
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice