DJing Eurobeat?

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
rokku
Bad Bad Bad

DJing Eurobeat?

Post by rokku » 05 Feb 2008, 20:45

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I've been listening to SEB for the past 6 years or so. I just bought some turntables and a mixer and now I'm asking the next logical question. How does one go about DJing Eurobeat?

Italo and eurobeat from the 80's seems simple enough. I can find the records and there are CD collections with single songs that seem long enough to mix. But I have no idea where to get the tracks from my SEB albums. Does anyone out there DJ modern eurobeat? Do you spin Vinyl or CDs and do you have a website you would recomend for buying tracks? I guess my last question is also, how is it done in Japan?

I don't know if its ok to mix SEB CDs in public, but seems like the extended versions of tracks on those stopped pretty early on in the series.

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MAtRiCks » 06 Feb 2008, 05:44

I always wondered what the mixing in japanese Eurobeat clubs sounded like, but never really got a satisfying answer. The only way to find out would be to have a live-recorded dj set from one of the eurobeat nights hosted by a dj like Boss or Shu.

On the other hand, I can tell you a bit from my little experience with mixing eurobeat myself. I own turntables (SL1200) and mixer (DJM300), and the main genre of music I usually mix is Happy Hardcore. I also own a bunch of Hi-Nrg Attack and Boom Boom Beat records and let me tell you, vinyl eurobeat mixing hasn't proved to be quite the best solution. Not that its impossible, but its fast paced and non-progressive nature requires very swift control over the music, and experienced mixing skills. My experience with mixing various Eurobeat extended mp3s and dj edits (mostly dj Gun edits) on cdjs (CDJ200) has been much more encouraging. Although it remains very hard to perform beatmatching, the easy and fast cueing possibilities that cdjs offer makes it quite approachable.
Last edited by MAtRiCks on 08 Feb 2008, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

d-tan
Eurobeat Fan

Post by d-tan » 06 Feb 2008, 12:34

In Japan, the DJs use a mix of 12" and CDs. I think that DJ Boss and DJ Shu usually use mostly 12" from when I've watched them play, though.

However, I don't play Eurobeat (just listen on my turntables) so much but I would think that using CDs is easier than 12".

If you want to see for yourself how they play, you can usually watch online at http://www.stickam.jp/ and type "maharaja" (this comes out with the most results for eurobeat/disco/hyper techno DJs) in the search bar.
I WANT YOUR AVEX POINTS!!!!11
Super Euro Power Hour

newfield
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by newfield » 07 Feb 2008, 10:37

interesting topic for a producer.maybe we should do some special versions for dj ?
back in 80's 90's we used to put more drumbeats as intro & outro for djs fades but with SEB cds cuts and no more analog printing we stopped doing it.

any suggestions are welcome,meanwhile let me do some promo for our extended ;-)

http://www.junodownload.com/labels/Delta+Italy

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 07 Feb 2008, 14:14

Longer intro's and outro's sure make the job a lot easier. With SEB cuts you most of the time have to stop/start the songs, but if there were propper intro's and outro's, you could actually beatmix them. (:

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 08 Feb 2008, 05:37

I used to mix alot of 80 and 90's TIME,ASIA, FLEA,ABEATC, ect... in local club, but with the shortage of the breaks it became a bit harder. Still doable especially with TIME and HRG Attack, but again the dissapearence of Vinyl just fininshed that phase of my life. I still do it , but strictly for fun. BTW I think avex mixes suck, but everyone knows that I hate new skool mixing as opposed to old skool.

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MAtRiCks » 08 Feb 2008, 16:17

Already releasing extended mixes online is a great step ahead for non-japanese dj's who want to get Eurobeat into clubs and events everywhere Newfield! Extended Versions already have what it takes to be mixed I'm sure, since they provide lots of different sections of the songs with alternative percussions/basslines and without main vocals to be used for intro/outro.

I must admit though that DJ Gun has got it good with his edits. They are very straightforward in terms of structure and let you cue your song very easily, while giving the songs a little twist that makes the mixing less predictable.

I haven't been able to experiment as much as I want with it though because I dont have CDJ's to myself yet, but i'm working on that and I should be able to record some non-stop mixes at home by this summer :P

rokku
Bad Bad Bad

Post by rokku » 10 Feb 2008, 21:49

Thanks alot for all the info. This site and forum has really made me aware how much there is to eurobeat I wasn't aware of. My exposure has been through SEB, so a bit limited I see.

I am expecting to get a virtual vinyl solution like Serato at some point, but I can see how the instant start of CDJ's would be very useful in eurobeat mixing. I'll still probably give it a shot with virtual vinyl for fun once I'm set up, even if it is a bit crazy. (btw, I'll be mixing Happy Hardcore too).

The reason I just bought my DJ setup and want to learn is because I'm interested in several type sof dance music that I have never heard in a dance club (I live in NYC) so in my dreams I'd like to play Italo Disco and Eurobeat in a club. Since I haven't even mixed anything yet I'm a bit far off from that, but one day maybe ^_^.

I'll try looking up the producers of eurobeat and see what is available digitally either on CD or MP3 that I may be able to try mixing when I get setup.

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 10 Feb 2008, 22:18

I think your first step is finding a venue that will let you play weird, ecclectic shit like eurobeat. No offense, but good luck. : /
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MAtRiCks » 11 Feb 2008, 05:46

Trying to be hired as Eurobeat dj in a club seems rather impossible indeed!

Although if you rent a venue to throw an event, you totally decide what kind of music plays.

When I get a good hang of Eurobeat mixing, I would love to have an hour long set of Eurobeat and Hypertechno in a Happy Hardcore oriented rave here in Montreal. I'm sure it has its place there, and some promoters even expressed their interest to me. They are just waiting to hear a demo of what it could sound like, which I can't provide yet :(
Last edited by MAtRiCks on 11 Feb 2008, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 11 Feb 2008, 09:17

What about online web radio. You could sit at home all day and mix Eurobeat without anyone giving you shit. BTW F**K the shitty ass music that clubs play now a days! :evil: