Saifam (Asia) @ Juno Download!

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
xiao
Euroheater

Post by xiao » 15 Aug 2017, 06:52

Last edited by xiao on 19 Jan 2018, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
🪐

magiblot
Eurocurious

Re: Saifam (Asia) @ Juno Download!

Post by magiblot » 15 Aug 2017, 14:02

But clipping and brickwalling aren't the same thing, aren't they? (I assumed clipping was the only artifact caused by "the loudness war")
I have seen clipping in many modern SEB tracks but only Saifam's had brickwalling.
In fact, it seems to me that it was from a certain point in time that their songs began to include brickwalling.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 15 Aug 2017, 21:06

magiblot wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 14:02 But clipping and brickwalling aren't the same thing, aren't they? (I assumed clipping was the only artifact caused by "the loudness war")
I have seen clipping in many modern SEB tracks but only Saifam's had brickwalling.
In fact, it seems to me that it was from a certain point in time that their songs began to include brickwalling.
Yes, they are the same. Brickwalling is the F word equivalent of "clipping", "loudness war" and "compression". It's when producers make the sound so loud that...
1. it distorts
2. there's no difference between quiet and loud

drnrg: all your whoes could be fixed with a tagging function in files called "ReplayGain". Look it up. Foobar2000 can even do it all automatically for you.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

magiblot
Eurocurious

Post by magiblot » 16 Aug 2017, 00:17

Lebon14 wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 21:06 Yes, they are the same. Brickwalling is the F word equivalent of "clipping", "loudness war" and "compression". It's when producers make the sound so loud that...
1. it distorts
Then, why is it that some clipped songs sound distorted and others not?

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 16 Aug 2017, 01:07

magiblot wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 00:17 Then, why is it that some clipped songs sound distorted and others not?
It always depends on how much compressed (how flat, no sound variation) the song is. The lower his dynamic range, the more likely it's going to sound distorted. Sometimes though, but rarely, the sound is very very loud and very very compressed but somehow doesn't sound distorted... it happens but remember that all sound is loud, there is no quiet regardless.

What you can do is go here:
http://dr.loudness-war.info/

There's a tool available to be able to calculate the dynamic range. It's available separately for Windows and Mac. Also available as a plugin for Windows' foobar2000.

Let's take an exemple. "Fire In The Night" by Ken Martin. The song is pretty compressed. Avex normalized at ~85% and did some declipping on SEB 234. As a single, the song score a dynamic range of 4. On SEB, it rates as 6 (so, yes, it sounds better on SEB). Look up the waveforms.

Never Know Why is another exemple. It sounds abysmal. Even on SEB. Avex only did a normal normaliztion at 90%. This doesn't improve the sound in any way. It has a dynamic range of 3. And it distorts. I wouldn't be surprised if "Tokyo To Milano (All Around The World)" score something like a 2. 20 is the best btw.

You know the meme "Brain Power" by Noma that surfaced with the help of twitch? Aka:
O-oooooooooo AAAAE-A-A-I-A-U-
JO-oooooooooooo AAE-O-A-A-U-U-A-
E-eee-ee-eee AAAAE-A-E-I-E-A-
JO-ooo-oo-oo-oo EEEEO-A-AAA-AAAA

On Noma's first album, where the song is released in extended version, its dynamic range score is........ 1. The worst score. It's EXTREMELY LOUD. Brickwalled to the bone. SOmehow, it still manage to sound good on first glance. But god, you down't listen to this track 10 times in a row. Lack of dynamic range do that too: headches, listening tireness, etc.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 16 Aug 2017, 05:17

Lebon14 wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 21:06
magiblot wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 14:02 But clipping and brickwalling aren't the same thing, aren't they? (I assumed clipping was the only artifact caused by "the loudness war")
Yes, they are the same. Brickwalling is the F word equivalent of "clipping", "loudness war" and "compression". It's when producers make the sound so loud that...
1. it distorts

drnrg: all your whoes could be fixed with a tagging function in files called "ReplayGain". Look it up. Foobar2000 can even do it all automatically for you.
Interesting. I do use foobar since you turned me on to it.

magiblot
Eurocurious

Post by magiblot » 16 Aug 2017, 10:24

Lebon14 wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 01:07 Never Know Why is another exemple. It sounds abysmal. Even on SEB. Avex only did a normal normaliztion at 90%. This doesn't improve the sound in any way. It has a dynamic range of 3. And it distorts. I wouldn't be surprised if "Tokyo To Milano (All Around The World)" score something like a 2. 20 is the best btw.
For your interest, I took the preview audios both from JunoDownload and Unleash the Beats and tested them.

Tokyo To Milano (All Around The World) (2:00 cut) (JunoDownload)

Code: Select all

-----------------------------------------------
 Statistics for:    Tokyo To Milano_All Around The World by Tipsy _ Tipsy on MP3, WAV, FLAC, AIFF _ ALAC at Juno Download.MP3
 Number of Samples: 5305651

left              right

Peak value:      over      ---     over
 Avg RMS:        -3.85 dB   ---    -3.79 dB
 DR channel:      3.26 dB   ---     3.20 dB

Official DR value:  DR3 
===============================================
Tokyo to Milano (All Around the World) (The Factory Team Mix) (4:06) (Unleash the Beats) (sounds as distorted as in JunoDownload)

Statistics for:    ARD1412A01M_Tipsy & Tipsy_Tokyo To Milano (All Around The World)_The Factory Team Mix_ITC941706316.mp3
 Number of Samples: 10867968

left              right

Avg RMS:        -3.87 dB   ---    -3.82 dB
 DR channel:      2.83 dB   ---     2.80 dB

Official DR value:  DR3 
But it seeems to me that the DR value isn't a definitive indication of sound distortion. I have made other tests, and there are songs with low DR scoring and with a totally cut waveform that don't sound distorted at all. A good example of this is "Fight" by Rich Hard.

Statistics for:    DirectShowSource.wav
 Number of Samples: 11176087

left              right

Avg RMS:        -5.28 dB   ---    -4.99 dB
 DR channel:      4.43 dB   ---     4.22 dB

Official DR value:  DR4 

I think it would be worth messaging The Factory Team about this issue.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 16 Aug 2017, 12:46

The DR value is indeed not a definitive sign of distortion. However, the lower the value, the more chance there is.
DR3 is in line with the Mela track of SEB 243.

You can message them, but they won't like give a flying f*, tbh. It doesn't cost anything though.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Rain197
Eurobeat Master

Post by Rain197 » 16 Aug 2017, 13:56

Lebon14 wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 01:07 Let's take an exemple. "Fire In The Night" by Ken Martin. The song is pretty compressed. Avex normalized at ~85% and did some declipping on SEB 234. As a single, the song score a dynamic range of 4. On SEB, it rates as 6 (so, yes, it sounds better on SEB). Look up the waveforms.
Maybe it sound better on SEB234 but is that me or "Fire In The Night" is slower on this album ?

Now we know avex don't like high BPM, "Mela - Change Your Time" is 170 BPM, but 158BPM on SEB233...

magiblot
Eurocurious

Post by magiblot » 16 Aug 2017, 14:07

Lebon14 wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 12:46 The DR value is indeed not a definitive sign of distortion. However, the lower the value, the more chance there is.
DR3 is in line with the Mela track of SEB 243.

You can message them, but they won't like give a flying f*, tbh. It doesn't cost anything though.
Their contact e-mail is customerservice@thesaifamgroup.com. I could message them right away but I don't have a lot of knowledge about musical technical stuff. I'll wait to see if somebody else from here decides to get in touch with them.
Rain197 wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 13:56 Maybe it sound better on SEB234 but is that me or "Fire In The Night" is slower on this album ?

Now we know avex don't like high BPM, "Mela - Change Your Time" is 170 BPM, but 158BPM on SEB233...
The 40 Best of Eurobeat version of "Fire In The Night" has the same lenght than the SEB version. (Silence at 5:25)
Lebon14 wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 01:07 Let's take an exemple. "Fire In The Night" by Ken Martin. The song is pretty compressed. Avex normalized at ~85% and did some declipping on SEB 234. As a single, the song score a dynamic range of 4. On SEB, it rates as 6 (so, yes, it sounds better on SEB). Look up the waveforms.
I just noticed you are right, so I'll post the measurements to strengthen your statement.
I'm assuming the 40 Best of Eurobeat version equals the single release, though I might be wrong on this...

#################################
SAIFAM VERSION
 Statistics for:    06 - Ken Martin - Fire in the Night (The Factory Team Mix).mp3
 Number of Samples: 13526831

left              right

Avg RMS:        -5.40 dB   ---    -5.48 dB
 DR channel:      4.04 dB   ---     4.24 dB

Official DR value:  DR4 
SEB VERSION
 Statistics for:    01. Ken Martin - Fire in the Night.mp3
 Number of Samples: 14554195

left              right

Peak value:     -0.00 dB   ---    -0.00 dB
 Avg RMS:        -7.43 dB   ---    -7.57 dB
 DR channel:      6.01 dB   ---     6.08 dB

Official DR value:  DR6 

Rain197
Eurobeat Master

Post by Rain197 » 23 Aug 2017, 18:46

Not on junodownload but I found this on iTunes :

SAIFAM EUROBEAT COLLECTION COMPILED BY MARK FARINA
2015/04/09
JPY 900
14 tracks
https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/saifa ... d986812815

SAIFAM EUROBEAT COLLECTION THE 2000'S COMPILED BY MARK FARINA
2015/04/25
JPY 1200
18 tracks
https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/saifa ... d989543543

SAIFAM EUROBEAT COLLECTION THE 90'S COMPILED BY MARK FARINA
2015/04/18
JPY 900
14 tracks
https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/saifa ... d987463748

SAIFAM EUROBEAT COLLECTION 4 COMPILED BY MARK FARINA & DJ USHI
2015/07/04
JPY 1200
20 tracks
https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/saifa ... 1015923085

Crockett
Eurobeat Master

Post by Crockett » 23 Aug 2017, 19:14

Supposedly "most" of series That's Eurobeat released from 1992 is offered on Juno (like my today's tune).

Orlando, Heartclub, Morgana, DJ Miko now got a stamp of Eurobeat. SAIFAM marketing entered into a new cosmic level. Money, money, money, Mauro Farina knows how to sell any music... :grin:

Vulpini
Euro To B

Post by Vulpini » 02 Oct 2017, 23:57

Upcoming song although not releasd on junodownload yet it can be heard on unleashthebeats.

Mister Tom - The Flame Of Love (The Factory Team Mix)

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 03 Oct 2017, 12:38

Decent...

Go here: https://www.unleashthebeats.com/music
Search for "Mister Tom" (Tap Enter to send search). It's the last result.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Rain197
Eurobeat Master

Post by Rain197 » 03 Oct 2017, 13:03

I just can't dislike when it is Fabio Serra to the vocals.
Instant win for me !!
I hope it will appear on Super Eurobeat vol.246