Eurobeat ripoffs/similarities to other songs

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
synthjunkie
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by synthjunkie » 23 Feb 2015, 22:09

wolftickets1969 wrote:Leslie Parrish's "I Say No" is rather similar to to Journey's "Separate Ways".
Yes, you are right. I can completely see how the song borrowed parts of that song, starting from where "Separate Ways" repeats the part in the verses where he sings "Two, Two, Two", which is very similar to how in "I Say No" Clara sings "Just, more, more power".

Then the chorus comes in, and it's totally obvious the two are alike in many ways.

Great find!!

synthjunkie
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by synthjunkie » 23 Feb 2015, 23:30

The riff for Helena's "Fly" sounds like a riff from another riff produced by Pernici. "Fly" is also produced by Time's "Luca Pernici", so it makes sense, but I just can't remember which of the songs it is borrowed from...

Somebody mentioned this one before, but I found even more songs that sound like Valery Scott's "A Simple Melody"

Me & My - Lion Eddie (1995) --CHORUS MELODY
Smile DK - Butterfly - (1998) -- CHORUS MELODY
Valery Scott - A Simple Melody (2008) -- MELODY IN CHORUS AND VERSES
Madonna - Some Girls (2012) -- MELODY JUST BEFORE CHORUS
Domino - Bad Girl - (2013) -- FIRST VERSE MELODY

What? Madonna's song sounds like Bubblegum Eurodance and Eurobeat? Heaven forbid, she would NEVER dare to copy anybody or anything? *sarcasm

No, wait, maybe it's just a coincidence?

Madonna would never take a cue from Sophie's 1995 Vinyl cover of "Music"...
Same style black lacey clothing, same haircut and color.

No, wait. maybe it's just a coincidence?

Last edited by synthjunkie on 24 Feb 2015, 03:18, edited 7 times in total.

synthjunkie
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by synthjunkie » 24 Feb 2015, 00:14

We all just like to wrap bandages and straps around our faces...

No, wait, maybe it's a coincidence?

1994 SEB COVER

1994 SEB COVER

1993 SEB COVER

Madonna 2014 COVER

Lacey butterfly over eyes....

No, wait, maybe it's just a.......

SEB 163 COVER

NEWER PIC OF MADONNA

Last edited by synthjunkie on 24 Feb 2015, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.

synthjunkie
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by synthjunkie » 24 Feb 2015, 02:45

SEB COVER 2004

SEB COVER 2006

SEB COVER 2006

Lady Gaga 2011

Madonna 2012

synthjunkie
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by synthjunkie » 24 Feb 2015, 02:55

ONE OF THE BEST HI-NRG/EUROBEAT GROUPS...
Madonna wouldn't dare to copy one of the first Eurobeat groups ever....

Just a coincidence?

DEAD OR ALIVE 1985

Madonna NEWER PIC

Mindsweeper
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Mindsweeper » 24 Feb 2015, 03:56

That's right, no one has ever worn black with platinum blonde hair before.
Wires and bandages around the face aren't that revolutionary, butterfly masks are not that unique.

SCREAMING ANGRILY © SUPER EUROBEAT DONUT STEEL

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THE TWO EYEPATCHES DON'T EVEN LOOK ALIKE, PETE BURNS DID NOT INVENT EYEPATCHES

So yeah, just a coincidence...

synthjunkie
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by synthjunkie » 24 Feb 2015, 04:58

Mindsweeper wrote:That's right, no one has ever worn black with platinum blonde hair before.
Wires and bandages around the face aren't that revolutionary, butterfly masks are not that unique.

SCREAMING ANGRILY © SUPER EUROBEAT DONUT STEEL

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THE TWO EYEPATCHES DON'T EVEN LOOK ALIKE, PETE BURNS DID NOT INVENT EYEPATCHES

So yeah, just a coincidence...
Try looking up Rafaella Carra, a famous star since the 50's, known by every Italian, and the similarities are quite in your face, from the poses, outfits, and many other influences. God help you, if you cannot be able to see any similarity between the two...
https://www.google.ca/search?q=raffaell ... ra+madonna

Sophie's Music vinyl cover style is influenced by Rafaella Carra's style.
My final verdict? Nobody is original, even eurobeat, and especially not Pop Icons like Madonna or Lady Caca who take all the credit for being originals. The big difference is that Eurobeat never claims to be original, while other artists pretend they are, which is quite sad.

And yeah, like you could name hundreds of artists with a black lace butterfly on their front cover covering their eyes. Examples of older artists doing this, please??

The only one I can think of is Grace Jones doing that. She is a true 70's icon.
And if you didn't know who she is already, Eurobeat definately does know her, and evne pays homage to her with songs with the same titles as hers such as:
"Nightclubbing"
"Slave To the Rhythm"
"Hurricane"

As drnrg has mentioned before, the whole masquerade thing has been around in many 80 Italo themes in the past. Masquerades are an 80s Italo thing. The whole bondage theme we see today by artists like Rihanna, and back in the late 80's and early 90's with Madonna doing the whole bondage and leather thing has been done by Rafaella Carra way back in the 70's, when it wasn't even touched upon mainstream western pop icons until years later.

Would you please provide me with older artists using any of the styles in the photos to prove your point?
Last edited by synthjunkie on 24 Feb 2015, 06:02, edited 10 times in total.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 24 Feb 2015, 05:06

cool. Now if only Madonna's music would morph into Eurobeat. She could use her 80s style vocals and it would fit perfectly.

BTW, those are the SEB covers I like. The dark ones.

Mindsweeper
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Mindsweeper » 24 Feb 2015, 07:35

@synthjunkie

Everyone knows Madonna is a huge copycat, that's not what I was arguing against. I was saying that she definitely didn't directly ripoff eurobeat stuff on purpose, which is what I inferred from your posts. You showed a super eurobeat cover with a black butterfly mask and then madonna with a black butterfly mask, which I read as you saying that she must've stolen the concept of black butterfly masks from super eurobeat, which is silly. Same with the eyepatch comparison.
synthjunkie wrote: Nobody is original
This is the point I was making. Everyone's ideas are nothing but rearranged and re-purposed versions of their influences. Also the bondage imagery isn't unique to italo either, goth and metal bands love that shit.

I think we ultimately agree about pop stars' tendency to hijack anything vaguely unique in an attempt to look "edgy" to the general public. The way your previous post was structured just made it seem like you thought there was this conspiracy where pop stars directly steal things from eurobeat :P

synthjunkie
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by synthjunkie » 24 Feb 2015, 20:52

Mindsweeper wrote:@synthjunkie
The way your previous post was structured just made it seem like you thought there was this conspiracy where pop stars directly steal things from eurobeat :P
I never said it was only a one-sided thing.
I only said these things to make people think that sometimes the copying is not just eurobeat copying others, but sometimes others copy eurobeat.
Also, it's fun to imagine the similarities!!

Something interesting from an older post on here to show that sometimes it is the other way around, where pop copies eurobeat:
drnrg wrote:wolftickets1969
Rihanna - Unfaithful -> Elisa - Music In The Night(most in the b-melo)
In this case Rihanna is ripping off Elisa, since Unfaithful is a newer song, so maybe her producers listen to Eurobeat :P

Mindsweeper
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Mindsweeper » 24 Feb 2015, 22:31

In the case of Rihanna and Elisa, I don't think that was real copying though, but...just a coincedence due to the fact that there aren't an infinite number of effective chord progressions and melodies in western music (or all the music of the world even).

That beginning b-melo part in music in the night is pretty normal and sounds like something I've heard in at least two other songs before, but I can't exactly remember the titles...I'll come back if I do :)

If we're gonna call anything vaguely similar "copying", then I should post the bajillions of eurobeat songs that have a bVI-bVII-i chord progression or some variant of it, just off the top of my head: Wheels of Fire - Dave Rodgers, Saturday Night Fever - Dave Rodgers, Night Fever - Dave Rodgers & Mega NRG Man (good ol Dave loves this prog as much as I do ♥)...all of these have it in the chorus. And then Grand Prix - Mega NRG Man, which has it in the intro and a hint at it in the chorus.

Don't mix up fun coincidences with blatant copying :wink:

synthjunkie
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by synthjunkie » 24 Feb 2015, 23:24

I love these 2 similar themed covers!
Roman statues in mid-air, floating clocks and gears...

Aleph - Doctor (1990 Vinyl Cover, Time Records)

Phalanx - Modern Hero (2014 Vinyl Cover, Time Machine Productions)

synthjunkie
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by synthjunkie » 25 Feb 2015, 02:03

Dead Or Alive's "You Spin Me Round" seems to sample from
Italo-disco artist FANCY - CHINESE EYES. Both released the same year, 1984, however "Chinese Eyes" was released a few months before "You Spin Me Round"...

Fancy has been in the music industry since the early 70's under other aliases.

Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Right Round:
Sample basseline starts at 27 seconds into the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfXBoXHxXyo

Fancy - Chinese Eyes:
Original sampled piece used by DOA starts at 7 seconds into the song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBVT4PuGQxg

Also, as a reminder which has been already mentioned before on this forum, other parts of DOA's song samples the classical masterpiece "Rise of the Valkyries".

Anybody who wishes to dispute this, please provide other similar artists before 1984 with the exact same basseline. It was actually NOT a common baseline at all prior to 1984. :P

After all, PWL loved the Italo-disco sounds, they even admitted to this in some other interviews about picking up Italo tunes from Greece.

An interesting related read about how Pete Waterman used many other people's work for music to produce his music can be read here in an interview with him:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... -Pete.html

It's good to hear people admit to copying others. What I can't stand are artists claiming to be original who just copy and take all the credit.

Calla_Maranatha
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Calla_Maranatha » 16 Jun 2015, 15:07

If You Leave Me Now / Veronica Sales -> Biggest Love / King & Queen
My Heart and My Soul / Morena (with chorus, especially lyrics, loosely based from You're My Heart, You're My Soul / Modern Talking)
Abracadabra / Tiggy -> The Game / Laurie (riff loosely based from the former, both of the same melody)
Season / Veronica Sales -> Season (Loving Now) / King & Queen
Season / Veronica Sales -> You're In Danger / The Flippers (obvious in the chorus)
Last edited by Calla_Maranatha on 20 Jun 2015, 15:55, edited 2 times in total.
"Like a number one, Eurobeat is magic, love and fun" - Anika

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 17 Jun 2015, 05:01

synthjunkie wrote:Dead Or Alive's "You Spin Me Round" seems to sample from
Italo-disco artist FANCY - CHINESE EYES. Both released the same year, 1984, however "Chinese Eyes" was released a few months before "You Spin Me Round"...

Fancy has been in the music industry since the early 70's under other aliases.

Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Right Round:
Sample basseline starts at 27 seconds into the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfXBoXHxXyo

Fancy - Chinese Eyes:
Original sampled piece used by DOA starts at 7 seconds into the song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBVT4PuGQxg

Also, as a reminder which has been already mentioned before on this forum, other parts of DOA's song samples the classical masterpiece "Rise of the Valkyries".

Anybody who wishes to dispute this, please provide other similar artists before 1984 with the exact same basseline. It was actually NOT a common baseline at all prior to 1984. :P

After all, PWL loved the Italo-disco sounds, they even admitted to this in some other interviews about picking up Italo tunes from Greece.

An interesting related read about how Pete Waterman used many other people's work for music to produce his music can be read here in an interview with him:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... -Pete.html

It's good to hear people admit to copying others. What I can't stand are artists claiming to be original who just copy and take all the credit.
I don't think Dead or Alive even knew where there classic bassline came from. They only became Hi NRG after hooking up with SAW team. before that they were goth. What I can say is that 1000s of Eurobeat songs owe there catchy basslines to DOA sound. If it wasn't for the classic DOA style; "Heartbraker" - Mike Hammer would not even exist. I don't think copyright pertains to H-NRG/Italo/Eurobeat. They need to follow a certain bassline/ melody or it starts sounding very un Eurobeat. :wink: