Eurobeat ripoffs/similarities to other songs

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
wolftickets1969
Eurobeat Master

Eurobeat ripoffs/similarities to other songs

Post by wolftickets1969 » 08 Aug 2008, 01:28

Dreamfighters - Matsuri Night has the "a fire in the sky" line, an ode to Smoke On The Water(also covered by Dave Rodgers)
Sara - If Your Stay with Me and Elisa - Devil In The Night(from World 2 Eurobeat on iTunes)(of course the chord progression is common, not just in Eurobeat, but the hook and the sabi in these sound the most similar)
Jackie O - Ride The Tiger samples the riff to Van Halen - Aint Talkin Bout Love(which was also covered as Eurobeat by Ace Warrior recently)
Captain America - Love 4 Eternity steals the first four bars of Donna Williams - True Love Never dies
Jimmy Diamond - Love Machine: part of chorus of Taylor Dayne - Tell It To My Heart, also riff of 2-Unlimited - No Limit
Leslie Parrish - Killing My Love(a-melo), Maddy Layne - Over My Destiny(a-melo), and Tiger Yamato - Hold On Me(sabi)(from PPP and DDR)
Leslie Parrish - Remember Me -> Paula Terry - Broken My Heart(DDR)(blatant ripoff in chorus)
Delta Force - Relight My Fire lifted the entire melody(except the added b-melo) from FCF - Bad Desire. The BD theme/leitmotif also appears in a few other songs, particularly Mad Max - Dance In The Fire
Ken Martin - Virtual Love(which itself has a heavy DOA vibe)-> Jeff Driller - Super Guts(notice the similarity? Vir-Tual Love! Su-Per Guts!)
King And Queen - King and Queen(also has Bad Desire-esque hook); Kiki & Kika - Jam Jam Jam; and Dominique Pratt - Dum Dum Dum(a bit less obvious)

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 08 Aug 2008, 08:15

Is that all U can come up with?LOL! Every other Eurobeat songs stems from another. That's why it's ina class all it's own.

The most used Eurobeat melody is Boom Boom Dollars...and even that melody stems from an Italo song. :D

DJ Mike TJG
Eurohero

Post by DJ Mike TJG » 08 Aug 2008, 10:32

Good grief, if you followed the train of thought through some of your suggestions there, we'd be here forever listing Eurobeat songs that sound "similar" (by your definition)...

Plus, as drnrg says, all Eurobeat is massively re-used and copied everywhere, so such comparisons are inevitable, and entirely a part of what EB is all about!

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 08 Aug 2008, 19:24

Cherry - Rebel Yell, although it is a cover of Billy Idol's, if you listen carefully in Billy Idol's song, you can hear Cherry's actual riff. That's a good idea to get that synth on top for a eurobeat cover XD
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

wolftickets1969
Eurobeat Master

Post by wolftickets1969 » 15 Aug 2008, 02:22

Variations of the "Get Ready for This" riff appear in a few Eurobeat songs as well.
The "Eurobeat Masters Riff"(like that used in Over The Time/Yozora No Muko) is prominently featured in Niko - Let's Go Wild, as well as Doll Sisters - Super Super Girl and Rick Castle - Bad Boy to some extent(sets them apart from other HRG Songs), and there are probably others
Fancy - Ciao Ciao Ciao sounds a lot like the old musical song Downtown(which has been covered as Eurodance a couple of times)
Katchy Kore - Crazy For Your Love: b-melo seems to be lifted from The Corrs - So Young, the sabi and hook resemble Annalise - Bad Love with a touch of Everytime We Touch thrown in.
Debbie Key - Day By Day's sabi borrows from that of several Euromach-era HRG songs, eg Jeff Driller - Foxy Lady, Lou Lou Marina - Superman(although this wasn't released until much later)
Several HRG songs, eg Jammin Spanish Men, Bomba, can't remember the other's names, have riffs that sound like that of Ken Martin - Bad World, which itself was loosely borrowed from Human League - Don't You Wan't Me.
Mega NRG Man - Megaton Man(a- melo)->The Snake - Queen Of Mean; the guitar riff also seems to be lifted from somewhere, i think it was a Dave Rodgers song
Ken Martin also used the "oh woah woah oh oh" hook from You Spin Me Round in Bad World and Virtual Love.
Sabi of Bad World -> borrowed in David Bird - Bad Love(also a common song name, which Ken also ironically used)
(although not really Eurobeat)Rick Astley - Whenever You Need Somebody and Taco - Got To Be Your Lover have the same "uoah uoah uoh" sample that is used in Mela - Help Me. From a sound library?
Many Eurobeat songs not only reuse the names of popular songs, and sometimes older Eurobeat songs, but also musically do tribute in some way to their namesake(not covers, of course):
Ken Laszlo - Hey Hey Guy ->Jean Corraine - Hey Hey Guy(a self tribute?)
James Brown - Living In America -> Rose & John - Living In America
Otello - Street Boy -> Harry Ken - Street Boy
Lolita - Carillon -> Black Eva - Carillon
Lou Grant - Don't Stop The Music(also sung by DiMarcantonio, I think) -> Jimmy Bravo - Don't Stop The Music
Aleph - Big Brother -> Fastway - Big Brother
Sabrina - Boys -> SmileDK - Boys(although not originally Eurobeat, it had a Eurobeat remix, and they catered mostly to Japan anyway)
Jee Bee - Wings Of Fire->Jackie O - Wings Of Fire
Last edited by wolftickets1969 on 17 Aug 2008, 17:53, edited 3 times in total.

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 15 Aug 2008, 02:40

You know, WT, I think you're going to find a LOT more similarities than this with eurobeat.

Dance music as it stands is designed to be repetitive and eurobeat is doubly so due to being marketed to the Japanese who prefer familiarity to innovation when it comes to music.
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice

Gorgia_v
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Gorgia_v » 15 Aug 2008, 09:41

this thread is kinda pointless, but funny....
i mean if we go from eurobeat then to hyper-techno the thread would start over again,

i agree there are several; songs that duplicate very common songs....like my sweet banana- go go girls...(abracadbra - cherry (i know its a cover but i couldnt rememebr the orignal artist)

also the amount of times 2 unlimited has been used GEES.....in SEB 39 the credit even recognise both 2 unlimited and Boom Boom Dollar...
and like 90% of hi NRG attack songs use the exactl same formula...
like what Cosmic_Bard said in previous post, the japanese do like toi have familiarity in the music....like the whole eurodance boom in the late 90's kept going through till 2004 and in some clubs still is going, we dont tend to have much eurodance released in australia the eurodance boom didnt realy hit us...we got aqua and venga boys....not alot to go on...but thank god for DDR...leaving the topis cslightly...

anywho thats my thoughts.....

wolftickets1969
Eurobeat Master

Post by wolftickets1969 » 17 Aug 2008, 22:28

You're right, HRG has been recycling even their own melodies since their Eurobeat Flash days(won't go into examples of those). RockyDance(which all the other Eurobeat Girls songs also sound like, might have itself been based on an older song) and Night Of Fire(both Delta-Sinclaire) have also influenced countless subsequent songs, particularly at HRG(for example Parapa! Love, which also draws the chorus from Virtual Love; BugaBuga Chew Chew and PunPunBeam, the latter song: Bazooka Girl and Campus Summit(even references NoF in the lyrics), Bandolero Comanchero, etc)

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 18 Aug 2008, 04:15

wolftickets1969
Variations of the "Get Ready for This" riff appear in a few Eurobeat songs as well.
The "Eurobeat Masters Riff"(like that used in Over The Time/Yozora No Muko) is prominently featured in Niko - Let's Go Wild, as well as Doll Sisters - Super Super Girl and Rick Castle - Bad Boy to some extent(sets them apart from other HRG Songs), and there are probably others
Fancy - Ciao Ciao Ciao sounds a lot like the old musical song Downtown(which has been covered as Eurodance a couple of times)
Katchy Kore - Crazy For Your Love: b-melo seems to be lifted from The Corrs - So Young, the sabi and hook resemble Annalise - Bad Love with a touch of Everytime We Touch thrown in.
Debbie Key - Day By Day's sabi borrows from that of several Euromach-era HRG songs, eg Jeff Driller - Foxy Lady, Lou Lou Marina - Superman(although this wasn't released until much later)
Several HRG songs, eg Jammin Spanish Men, Bomba, can't remember the other's names, have riffs that sound like that of Ken Martin - Bad World, which itself was loosely borrowed from Human League - Don't You Wan't Me.
Mega NRG Man - Megaton Man(a- melo)->The Snake - Queen Of Mean; the guitar riff also seems to be lifted from somewhere, i think it was a Dave Rodgers song
Ken Martin also used the "oh woah woah oh oh" hook from You Spin Me Round in Bad World and Virtual Love.
Sabi of Bad World -> borrowed in David Bird - Bad Love(also a common song name, which Ken also ironically used)
(although not really Eurobeat)Rick Astley - Whenever You Need Somebody and Taco - Got To Be Your Lover have the same "uoah uoah uoh" sample that is used in Mela - Help Me. From a sound library?
Many Eurobeat songs not only reuse the names of popular songs, and sometimes older Eurobeat songs, but also musically do tribute in some way to their namesake(not covers, of course):
Ken Laszlo - Hey Hey Guy ->Jean Corraine - Hey Hey Guy(a self tribute?)
James Brown - Living In America -> Rose & John - Living In America
Otello - Street Boy -> Harry Ken - Street Boy
Lolita - Carillon -> Black Eva - Carillon
Lou Grant - Don't Stop The Music(also sung by DiMarcantonio, I think) -> Jimmy Bravo - Don't Stop The Music
Aleph - Big Brother -> Fastway - Big Brother
Sabrina - Boys -> SmileDK - Boys(although not originally Eurobeat, it had a Eurobeat remix, and they catered mostly to Japan anyway)
Jee Bee - Wings Of Fire->Jackie O - Wings Of Fire

The funniest thing about this huge post is that you are barely scratching the surface :D

wolftickets1969
Eurobeat Master

Post by wolftickets1969 » 18 Aug 2008, 20:54

Aren't some Eurobeat melodies/hooks influenced by video game BGMs? For example the synth of Fastway - Spacelove sounds like the second boss BGM from Blaster Master, IMO, and the riff of another Fastway song, Rocking Hardcore, resembles the second level music from Double Dragon. Again, there are proably too many examples to list.
I heard on SEPH that Cherry - Yes I Will is musically a cover of Pink - You and Your Hand, in edition that synth hook was lifted from an old Eurodance song that I can't remember the name of.
Of course there's Pamsy - Living In The Night, a semi-cover of Maggie Reilly - Everytime We Touch, that came out about the same time as the Lacara and Trinity eurodance versions(take that, Cascada!). And it's not even credited, is it? Neither is Yes I Will. Copyright infringement, anyone?
It appears there in turn was a J-euro cover of the Pamsy song, by someone called P-ch, on Super GT 2005.
Last edited by wolftickets1969 on 21 Aug 2008, 15:33, edited 2 times in total.

Gorgia_v
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Gorgia_v » 21 Aug 2008, 08:34

there are times when i hear a eurobeat song and i picture sonic running throguh green hill zone, and various other vidoegame BGM's maine frol the 90's though as sound on games improved a great deal.
i have to say i was listening to Bazooka Girl - Cantare Ballare (Happy Eurobeat) (first time i heard it, just got my copy of euromach 10) and its lyrics are eurobeat songtitles...how cute

wolftickets1969
Eurobeat Master

Post by wolftickets1969 » 21 Aug 2008, 15:39

Speaking of that(although not Eurobeat), the music in Sonic's Scrap Brain Zone sounds similar to the Kraftwerk songs Spacelab and Metropolis, as well as the ending theme from Blade Runner.
I just noticed a non-Eurobeat song that apparently borrows from a Eurobeat/J-Euro track: DJ Dean's Kick The Bass(what JP calls cybertrance, we know it as hard trance) has a guitar and synth riff that sounds just like the riff of AAA - Blood On Fire (it was made after the original, but before Go2's version)

wolftickets1969
Eurobeat Master

Post by wolftickets1969 » 23 Aug 2008, 04:40

Another HRG Vengaboys soundalike, this time Boom Boom Boom Boom: Ely Kotero - Sheik Yarbati Moves
Also, the other Ely Kotero song, Sexy Love Banana

wolftickets1969
Eurobeat Master

Post by wolftickets1969 » 27 Aug 2008, 15:57

Queen Regina - Love Desire sounds almost identical to King and Queen - Dancing Queen in the synth!
Also, D. Essex - Burning Love(although I think that was done by A Beat C as well)
And of course countless subsequent Eurobeat songs follow a King and Queen style pattern, just like with Boom Boom Dollars, etc.
Another game soundtrack similarity: Megaman 3 - Top Man -> Ken Martin - Virtual Love(guitar/synth riff)
A case of the reverse: the second level music in Journey to Silius sounds like an old italo/space disco tune.
So was NES music in turn influenced by italo?
Last edited by wolftickets1969 on 28 Aug 2008, 03:57, edited 2 times in total.

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 27 Aug 2008, 19:38

There's some big lists, so did anyone catch

Dr. Love -- "Don't Stand So Close" >>>> Maio & Co. -- "Dark In The Night"

before I did?
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.