The Kiki and Co. Syndrome

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
para_rigby
Euroheater
Posts: 1624
Joined: 17 Sep 2005, 18:50
Location: Wichita, KS, USA
Contact:

The Kiki and Co. Syndrome

Post by para_rigby » 13 Nov 2008, 14:12

We have productions from SCP that sound like they should be under this alias, but are under the absolutely wrong name.

I still don't understand why songs like "Yo Yo Baby" by Pamsy & Shady are under the aliases they are. I don't correlate the Pamsy name with a Kiki production. Anouther example is "Food Fighter" by Irene. This song sounds nothing like her other songs.

Any explanation to this?

[NOTE: I'm stuck at work and bored...have too much time to wonder]

the_ditz
Euroheater
Posts: 1942
Joined: 04 Nov 2005, 22:25
Location: Hunting down Pamsy!!

Post by the_ditz » 13 Nov 2008, 14:25

Your guess is as good as mine. As a die-hard Pamsy fan, I have never understood why Yo Yo Baby was given to her as it quite clearly fits better under the Kiki & Fancy banner. They even pitched her vocals, so the unique selling point that Pamsy has (aka her voice) was warped anyway.

Food Fighter is an okay song, but Irene was only just cementing herself as a really strong and serious alias. I really don't think it will win her any new fans at all.

Mikaeru
Master of Time
Posts: 1124
Joined: 22 Mar 2005, 07:51

Post by Mikaeru » 13 Nov 2008, 16:23

Well, why should they be pidgeon-holed into certain sounding songs? After so much angsty trance from Pamsy, it was nice to hear something a bit refreshing. And plus K&F went on the serious side, a little, with Make Your Move, too. You can't just keep doing the same thing over and over *coughrghcough*, throw in some new stuff, see what comes out.

And although it's not the same singer, what was "Irene"'s first song? The Kiki & Co-esque Dancin' Baby.

the_ditz
Euroheater
Posts: 1942
Joined: 04 Nov 2005, 22:25
Location: Hunting down Pamsy!!

Post by the_ditz » 13 Nov 2008, 19:43

Pamsy doesn't do "trance", but it seems that I'm one of the very few people to realise this. Has anyone taken note of Livin' In The Night or Once Upon A Time? They were both faster and used more elaborate synth patterns than her other slower tracks.

And I'd love to see people into trance actually listening to the likes of So Fragile :D

Anyway, I just think that the bubblegummy style of Kiki & Co is only suited to certain aliases, and Pamsy is not one of them. Irene is yet to truly find a niche and so Food Fighter doesn't sound quite so out of place.

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master
Posts: 640
Joined: 28 Mar 2005, 02:49
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 13 Nov 2008, 20:08

the_ditz wrote:Pamsy doesn't do "trance", but it seems that I'm one of the very few people to realise this. Has anyone taken note of Livin' In The Night or Once Upon A Time? They were both faster and used more elaborate synth patterns than her other slower tracks.

And I'd love to see people into trance actually listening to the likes of So Fragile :D

Anyway, I just think that the bubblegummy style of Kiki & Co is only suited to certain aliases, and Pamsy is not one of them. Irene is yet to truly find a niche and so Food Fighter doesn't sound quite so out of place.
C'mon, ditz, he's obviously referring to the songs in which Pamsy sings behind the trance-like samples that SCP has been favoring for the last few years. Long, drawn out dreamy sounding synth samples with lots of reverb... The songs themselves aren't trance, we get that, but they're very trance inspired. I think newfield did a few trance inspired tracks, too.
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice

para_rigby
Euroheater
Posts: 1624
Joined: 17 Sep 2005, 18:50
Location: Wichita, KS, USA
Contact:

Post by para_rigby » 13 Nov 2008, 20:28

The only trance-esque by Pamsy that stands out is Dancin' Alone and even then it's not what I would call trance. To me, Pamsy is the angsty alias for SCP much like Leslie Parrish for DELTA. So when I think of Pamsy, that's the feeling invoked.

Present-day Go Go Girls invoke silliness unlike their pre-1996 tracks like Changes and Come Back. There's progression of emotions with an alias, but I have a hard time with aliases going from one place to anouther as above.

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master
Posts: 640
Joined: 28 Mar 2005, 02:49
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 13 Nov 2008, 21:02

para_rigby wrote:The only trance-esque by Pamsy that stands out is Dancin' Alone and even then it's not what I would call trance. To me, Pamsy is the angsty alias for SCP much like Leslie Parrish for DELTA. So when I think of Pamsy, that's the feeling invoked.

Present-day Go Go Girls invoke silliness unlike their pre-1996 tracks like Changes and Come Back. There's progression of emotions with an alias, but I have a hard time with aliases going from one place to anouther as above.
So Fragile, Babyface, Dancin' Alone, I Feel Emotions.... I could go on. All have the elements I described earlier.
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice

para_rigby
Euroheater
Posts: 1624
Joined: 17 Sep 2005, 18:50
Location: Wichita, KS, USA
Contact:

Post by para_rigby » 13 Nov 2008, 21:38

Cosmic_Bard wrote:
para_rigby wrote:The only trance-esque by Pamsy that stands out is Dancin' Alone and even then it's not what I would call trance. To me, Pamsy is the angsty alias for SCP much like Leslie Parrish for DELTA. So when I think of Pamsy, that's the feeling invoked.

Present-day Go Go Girls invoke silliness unlike their pre-1996 tracks like Changes and Come Back. There's progression of emotions with an alias, but I have a hard time with aliases going from one place to anouther as above.
So Fragile, Babyface, Dancin' Alone, I Feel Emotions.... I could go on. All have the elements I described earlier.
Maybe we just have a different opinion of what eurobeat song has heavy trance influences. Not calling you a liar or anything haha.

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master
Posts: 640
Joined: 28 Mar 2005, 02:49
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 13 Nov 2008, 22:49

para_rigby wrote:
Cosmic_Bard wrote:
para_rigby wrote:The only trance-esque by Pamsy that stands out is Dancin' Alone and even then it's not what I would call trance. To me, Pamsy is the angsty alias for SCP much like Leslie Parrish for DELTA. So when I think of Pamsy, that's the feeling invoked.

Present-day Go Go Girls invoke silliness unlike their pre-1996 tracks like Changes and Come Back. There's progression of emotions with an alias, but I have a hard time with aliases going from one place to anouther as above.
So Fragile, Babyface, Dancin' Alone, I Feel Emotions.... I could go on. All have the elements I described earlier.
Maybe we just have a different opinion of what eurobeat song has heavy trance influences. Not calling you a liar or anything haha.
This isn't really an opinion, I clearly stated why the songs fit the description I gave to them. Maybe you should re-read my original post.
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice

Jion
Moderator
Posts: 1223
Joined: 19 Jun 2004, 17:09
Location: Cinnaminson, New Jersey
Contact:

Post by Jion » 13 Nov 2008, 23:21

In the end I'm sure all we care about is making sure the labels get they're music out (preferably ones that are good lol...). Be it silly, happy, powerful, rocky, trancy, dancy, all we want is good music. Besides...


IT'S DELICIOUS!
You can hate me but you know you have quality issues =p

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru
Posts: 6952
Joined: 17 May 2005, 07:18
Location: searching for missing Eurogrooves trax

Post by drnrg » 14 Nov 2008, 00:00

the_ditz
Food Fighter is an okay song, but Irene was only just cementing herself as a really strong and serious alias. I really don't think it will win her any new fans at all.
She surely didn't win me at all with that bubblegum kindergarten inspired song. As far as I can remeber Irene really hasn't found her zone. her discography is really mixed.

SEB 153- Dancin Baby= kinda bubbley, but slower in bpms, so it didn't sound childish
SEB 179- Let's Fly Together= Overlooked song that I'm playing more nowadays. More the style I like of Love In....
SEB 182- Love Is The Name Of Love= Her best and Fastest to date. The style she should stick to.
SEB 188- Nothing About Me Baby= A hybrid Of Dancin Baby and Let's Fly Together. Not bad, but better for Lucya.
SEB 192- Foot Fighter= Completley lost her zone as a serious Eurobeat artist and falls to the ranks of Kinki & Fancy kiddie fare.

She sounds best in SEB 179 and 182 and should stay with that style and just come up with a new alias for songs like Food Fighter. IDK..maybe call her self KungFu Doll :P

the_ditz
Euroheater
Posts: 1942
Joined: 04 Nov 2005, 22:25
Location: Hunting down Pamsy!!

Post by the_ditz » 14 Nov 2008, 06:15

Cosmic_Bard wrote:This isn't really an opinion, I clearly stated why the songs fit the description I gave to them. Maybe you should re-read my original post.
Yes it is an opinion. To me, high reverb and other elements does not always equal trance. In fact, I wouldn't describe any Eurobeat songs as being trancy.

And yes, this my opinion that others may not agree with but that doesn't make it any less valid. Nobody can be told they're wrong if they are simply saying what they believe.

Jay
God of Romance
Posts: 955
Joined: 01 Jul 2004, 12:59

Post by Jay » 14 Nov 2008, 09:26

drnrg wrote:She surely didn't win me at all with that bubblegum kindergarten inspired song. As far as I can remeber Irene really hasn't found her zone. her discography is really mixed.

SEB 153- Dancin Baby= kinda bubbley, but slower in bpms, so it didn't sound childish
SEB 179- Let's Fly Together= Overlooked song that I'm playing more nowadays. More the style I like of Love In....
SEB 182- Love Is The Name Of Love= Her best and Fastest to date. The style she should stick to.
SEB 188- Nothing About Me Baby= A hybrid Of Dancin Baby and Let's Fly Together. Not bad, but better for Lucya.
SEB 192- Foot Fighter= Completley lost her zone as a serious Eurobeat artist and falls to the ranks of Kinki & Fancy kiddie fare.

She sounds best in SEB 179 and 182 and should stay with that style and just come up with a new alias for songs like Food Fighter. IDK..maybe call her self KungFu Doll Razz
SCP have been releasing these bubbly songs since their induction. All right, it's very clear by now that some don't like it, and it's always the same people who whine about these types of songs. But should they stop producing them because you say so?

"Let's Fly Together" and "Love is the Name of Love" are good, but don't exactly offer anything new to SCP's plate. This would explain why "Let's Fly Together" was overshadowed by the amazing performances offered by other labels on 179. I tend to value labels and vocalists who are creative and aren't afraid to step outside of their comfort zone. HRG and SinclaireStyle have proven time and time again they're still stuck in the past, and I fear GGM is heading down the same path.
para_rigby wrote:We have productions from SCP that sound like they should be under this alias, but are under the absolutely wrong name.

I still don't understand why songs like "Yo Yo Baby" by Pamsy & Shady are under the aliases they are. I don't correlate the Pamsy name with a Kiki production. Anouther example is "Food Fighter" by Irene. This song sounds nothing like her other songs.
It depends on the label. Delta seems to take more consideration into which alias to use for which production, whereas HRG could attach any one of their thousand aliases to a song and it won't seem awkward or strange at all. SCP doesn't seem to take much consideration either, but definitely not to the extent of HRG.

In the end, does it matter all that much?

Nine
Mr. Domino
Posts: 1723
Joined: 18 Jun 2004, 18:37
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Post by Nine » 14 Nov 2008, 18:19

Jay wrote:In the end, does it matter all that much?
I think it's just an issue with people who don't like all styles of the genre (which isn't a bad thing.) If XYZ alias steps out of their native "style" it throws people off.... especially with SCP, since they seem to have their artist's sound set in stone. Go2 with the power tracks, Pamsy with the "trance-inspired" songs, Kiki & Fancy w/ the happy bubble gum music, etc. etc.
Image

the_ditz
Euroheater
Posts: 1942
Joined: 04 Nov 2005, 22:25
Location: Hunting down Pamsy!!

Post by the_ditz » 14 Nov 2008, 18:27

Nine wrote:
Jay wrote:In the end, does it matter all that much?
I think it's just an issue with people who don't like all styles of the genre (which isn't a bad thing.) If XYZ alias steps out of their native "style" it throws people off.... especially with SCP, since they seem to have their artist's sound set in stone. Go2 with the power tracks, Pamsy with the "trance-inspired" songs, Kiki & Fancy w/ the happy bubble gum music, etc. etc.
That's what I've been trying to say. It's not that I don't like the bubblegum style of typical Kiki & Fancy tracks - I just don't feel that Irene is perhaps the best alias to perform that style.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests