'List of electronic music genres' article in Wikipedia.

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

'List of electronic music genres' article in Wikipedia.

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 13 Dec 2008, 06:27

Okay, so just wiki jumping today and noticed this list, which is detailed and inclusive, but makes no mention of eurobeat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_el ... sic_genres

My first impulse after seeing it was to immediately correct it and insert a link to the existing eurobeat wikipedia article.

However, I wasn't sure exactly where I should put it.

Of the available umbrella genres presented, I think either Disco or House would be best... but I'm leaning closer to Disco.

What do you guys think? Let's discuss it before getting into an edit war over it. XD
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 13 Dec 2008, 12:02

I reckon it should go under the disco section (judging from those choices on the page) as that's where Italo Disco and Hi-NRG are.

On a side note, that page loses instantly for ignoring Eurodance and Bubblegum Dance (aka Smile.dk etc.) :o

Humbedooh
Forum Cow

Post by Humbedooh » 13 Dec 2008, 13:07

I reckon that calling Eurobeat either disco or house is just plain wrong.
- De apibus semper dubitandum est
(You never know about bees)

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 13 Dec 2008, 13:44

Humbedooh wrote:I reckon that calling Eurobeat either disco or house is just plain wrong.
Agreed, but it isn't any of the other options either. There should be a completely separate category for Eurobeat!

Jion

Post by Jion » 13 Dec 2008, 15:50

I reckon eurobeat is eurobeat... sucka
You can hate me but you know you have quality issues =p

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 13 Dec 2008, 18:53

Guys, don't forget that Eurobeat has Italo-disco has its root.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Humbedooh
Forum Cow

Post by Humbedooh » 13 Dec 2008, 19:01

Lebon14 wrote:Guys, don't forget that Eurobeat has Italo-disco has its root.
So, in your view, New York should be classified as a Dutch city? :p

Eurobeat may have had its roots in italo disco, but to me, it's not even remotely disco-related anymore. As far as I'm concerned, that list of electronic genres can stay just the way it is.

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 13 Dec 2008, 19:36

Eurobeat is a variety of J-Pop. Its main market is there, its advertising (what little of it there is) is there... It's a variety of pop, no matter how electronic it is.
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 13 Dec 2008, 19:36

Humbedooh wrote:So, in your view, New York should be classified as a Dutch city? :p
You mean it isn't? : (

And whatever you do, do not put it under the house category. Maybe you should make a new category, name it 'Others', and put eurobeat under there.

But other than that, let's first just clean up the Eurobeat page, hmmkay?

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 13 Dec 2008, 20:10

zoupzuop2 wrote:Eurobeat is a variety of J-Pop.
I hope I wasn't the only person who nearly shit myself when I read this.

It's looking very likely that I'll be putting it under Disco... it just makes overwhelming sense. You can draw lines to Italo and Hi-NRG in so many different ways, it isn't even funny. I suspect anyone who thinks otherwise really isn't familiar with the distinct evolution and transition from those mother genres to what eurobeat is now.

Take a look at Arabesque, for example who were famous in Japan for songs like 'Time to Say Goodbye' (1985) and 'Ecstasy'. (1986) Clearly under a very italo influenced style, which by all means were only a small part of a bigger catalyst, formed by many different acts with a similiar style but they're very good examples of how eurobeat came to be.

Just like Belgian New Beat, (the precursor to modern Hardcore) which was formed by slowing down Acid House tracks, (some say, by accident at first) eurobeat was essentially made with (at least most distinctively) a dramatic BPM increase (most eurobeat hovers from 150-180BPM while most Italo-Disco songs barely break 130 at their fastest), but all the markers are still there, including the melodic format, (intro-amelo-bmelo-chorus-outro) which is observed in many italo songs. Of course, there are more touches than the tempo change, but like I said, I think it's the biggest change.

Here, take a listen to these and you'll see what I mean:

Ecstasy - Arabesque
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=2S_EqRl2eV0&fmt=18

Time to Say Goodbye - Arabesque
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=qUENKbPh8Bg&fmt=18

And in response to that J-Pop comment, J-Pop is an offshoot from Japan's heavy disco influenced 80's and 90's and outright obsession with eurodisco and italodisco groups like the aformentionned Arabesque, who never even really intended to sell to Asia but were better known there than anywhere else. And so, you have a distinctive pop sound that is very house-like and shares many common elements with eurobeat. The most important distinction is that eurobeat is not domestically produced for its market whereas J-Pop, by definition, is Japanese, through and through. The attempt at a bridge between the two would seem to be the 'j-euro' stylized Japanese eurobeat.

EDIT: Linked to high quality versions of songs, instead.
Last edited by Cosmic_Bard on 13 Dec 2008, 20:47, edited 2 times in total.
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice

Humbedooh
Forum Cow

Post by Humbedooh » 13 Dec 2008, 20:22

It could have been worse - he could've said "Eurobeat is just a variety of J-Pop." :cry:

jeurobeat
God of Romance

Post by jeurobeat » 13 Dec 2008, 21:11

Eurobeat derives from italo disco, no doubt about it. If you compare the first TIME Italo song with the most recent TIME Eurobeat song, you might say that those have nothing in common at all. Maybe so, but that doesn't mean that eurobeat cannot have italo disco as its roots.

The most clear example: pick a random TIME Records song from each year starting from 1985 and compare the sound of each song to the song of the year after. You will notice the same style between the songs from 1985 and 1986, from 1986 and 1987, from 1987 and 1988, from 1988 and 1989 and so on, just a bit different. The annual changes were not that big. But the sum of changes over many years make the big difference.

But I'm not sure if the root is important for classification :P

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 13 Dec 2008, 22:40

I complety agree with Cosmic_Bard and jeurobeat.
No matter how hard you try to hide it, IT'S from Italo-disco. It's sure that today it doesn't sound like that anymore because the evolution of the sounds. But, again, today, we still have some Italo-disco flavoured song. May I name some? Yes?
Jay Lehr - I'm Alive
Ace - Wait For You
Any Phil & Linda songs.

I could agree to put Eurobeat under Disco because of the tree of the genre.

-Disco
---Italo-Disco
------Eurobeat

J-Pop is... Japanese Pop. Pop music. Although Japanese's pop music tends to like techno, it is not fully techno in itself. ANyway, here are JPop's subcategory :
- Anime music (Kotoko [Shakugan No Shana, Kamen No Maid Guy, ETC], Karen's Girl (Zettai Karen Children), ................................................ETC)
- Boys band (Kat-tun, Aqua Timez, etc)
- Pop (Boa, Zard, Do As Infinity, etc)
- Girls Band (Dream, SPEED, Biyuuden, etc)
- JRap (m-flo, etc)
- JRock (Gackt, Luna Sea, B'z, High And Mighty Color, L'Arc-En-Ciel, Jeanne Da Arc, etc)
- Video game music (ETC)

Some of the boys band in pop music likes Hip-Hop and rap. Also, female singers tends to heavily like slow and calm music : piano and vocals for example. There is also Punk music but I don't think that kind of music is really well known in Japan. I know that Ellegarden was a Punk band in Japan though... Some success but they disbanded recently (too bad...).

I don't think Eurobeat fits in JPop... No. Not at all.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

MesdoramElmdor
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by MesdoramElmdor » 13 Dec 2008, 22:44

Italo-Disco is most certainly what Eurobeat evolved from! Putting it anywhere near J-Pop would be ludicrous. It totally belongs next to Italo and Hi-NRG. There are so many elements from Eurobeat that were borrowed from these genres.
You better watch yourself!
You better wish you were!
You better keep it cool!

<b>Cause I'm Superbad!!</b>

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 14 Dec 2008, 00:26

Hm. I guess it depends on which approach we're taking: Sound origins, or marketing/"end result". In terms of where the sound CAME from, yes, Eurobeat has its origins in (Italo) Disco; in terms of where the genre is regarded most, it's the genre of Pop music of Japan (or at least was for a few good years)... J-Pop.
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.