Help finding Eurobeat CDs in Kyoto or Tokyo

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
the_ditz
Euroheater

Help finding Eurobeat CDs in Kyoto or Tokyo

Post by the_ditz » 17 May 2009, 08:52

Okay, first of all, I'm sorry if this question has been asked and answered already before, but as I only have 3 minutes of Internet left, I don't really have much time to search.

Can anyone give me some advice as to where the best place to find Eurobeat CDs - both new and/or old - in either Kyoto or Tokyo. I am currently in Nagasaki, and their Tower Records at the main station had one compilation that I could find (the FARM records "Eurobeat Hits 30" one, which I wanted anyway after hearing SEPH's review of it! YOKO!!) but I couldn't find any SEB discs at all. What category would I find them under, as the Eurobeat Hits 30 album was oddly found under "J-Pop". They have a Club section, but that was all just old Super Best Trance, Hyper-Techno and Quake Trance discs.

So the main advice I need is:

1) Are there any shops that I can buy Super Eurobeat albums in Kyoto or Tokyo?
2) (As I'm sure there are...) what section or genre am I best to search under to find them?

I'm pretty sure I saw an HMV advertised in Shibuya during the brief time I had in Tokyo, and I'll have another day there next Sunday to shop around. I am heading to Kyoto tomorrow for 3 nights, and I will have some free time there, so if there happened to be any stores I should check out there, it would be good to know as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help - I'm loving Japan and wish I could stay here longer!!

Shawaazu
Master of Time

Post by Shawaazu » 17 May 2009, 12:33

HMV & Tower Records are good places to find some Eurobeat CDs. HMV you will find almost everywhere Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro etc.

They're usually in the Club/Dance section usually under Trance.

Book Off is a good place to find used Eurobeat CDs also most likely found under Club/Dance/Trance sections.

Look for this オムニバス in these sections as well to find the Eurobeat stuff.

Hope this helps.

Delita_chan
Euro To B

Post by Delita_chan » 28 May 2009, 00:20

Oh I may be late with this reply.

Tokyo - Akihabara is definately your place to look. If you take the Yamanote line, there is an eventual stop in Akihabara. take the West Exit and then head eastward. There are *LOTS* of shops everywhich way so give yourself a day to look around. I recall a shop about 2 miles from the station that sold used CDs. That place is a gold mine. It had LOTS of eurobeat and I even got my euromach CDs there. They were USED but please, they were practically new. Each one runs you about 700-1000yen or so. Some of the more recent albums are more expensive (1500 yen). The store was one floor and the eurobeat section was at the very back next to the club stuff.

Other than that, there is sofmap (I think) which at the time had boxes of discount CDs for 500 yen. I got SEB 104 there. Other than that, the only store I know of that carries them is Tower Records in the dance section. If you can't find it, just ask the shopowners "Yuurobito wa doo desu ka?" and they will point you to t he right direction. Again, Tokyo is your best bet, mostly Akihabara. IF all else, check Yodobashi Akiba (just behind the station) in Akihabara. They sold some Eurobeat CDs.

Kyoto - eh. Try Book Off, but I don't think so. When I visit my fiance (he lives near Kyoto), we always go to Book off and I never find much except the crappy Bass Eurobeat CD. I stayed for almost a month and we never saw shipments come in. It's pretty hit and miss. Other than Book Off, the ONLY place I know of that carried SEB189 when I was there (July 2008) was Tower Records in the Shijo district.

Travel to Otsu if you can (15 minutes from Kyoto) and there's a mall that had a TON of Eurobeat used CDs.

If you know a native, have him or her rent you some CDs from the cd rental stores. My fiance took me to rent CDs in his rural town and it was a goldmine of CDs, from Euroflash to Euromach and SEBs. But I was too stupid to think of ripping High quality and rented stupid Hime Trance >.>

I'm sorry you're having terrible luck, but that is the nature of SEB - I mentioned it months ago that SEB wasn't popular in Japan and that I had a hard time getting those CDs. People just aren't into it anymore. Good luck on your search.