Poll: Eurobeat in your country?

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Jay
God of Romance

Post by Jay » 18 Feb 2010, 12:44

Tiger wrote:I have no idea why nobody is mentioning the ParaPara Max series from the US in their arguments...
We're debating eurobeat popularity, correct? Most of the songs on the ParaPara Max albums have very little, if anything, to do with eurobeat. Maybe that's why?

I believe some of you are placing far too much emphasis on ParaPara and its influence on eurobeat's popularity, especially nowadays. As much as we'd like it to, an active ParaPara scene in the slums of South America and at random anime conventions isn't going to spring eurobeat back to life. Eurobeat will always be a niche genre that won't appeal to too many people without drastic melodical changes.

As for eurobeat popularity in Japan, all you need to do is talk to random people (preferably girls) there, and you'll quickly get the impression that eurobeat and ParaPara is on the way out, and fast.

I'm from Australia and the situation here is the same as almost everywhere else. I'd venture to say that no more than 10 people in the country listen to it regularly, or consider it a favourite genre of theirs. Don't ask me about eurobeat's popularity at anime conventions here, as I've never been to one. I think it's safe to say that the rare few who do listen to eurobeat regularly in Australia (from what I've seen) are avid listeners and staunch supporters of the genre.

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 18 Feb 2010, 15:13

Tiger brought up the ParaPara Max albums, because Geneon Entertainment sold them in the US. It was called ParaParaMax US, and there were 3 albums released, and two dvds (in a set, one with a live performance of Yoko Ishida, and the other one with about 6 parapara routines). There were more in the pipeline, but Geneon stopped doing what they were doing for whatever reason, and nothing else got released.

Besides that, I've had a lengthy discussion with Miró's friend regarding the same. No need to repeat that, I guess. :')

nullsoon
Euro To B

Post by nullsoon » 18 Feb 2010, 15:14

Jay, I believe you're generalizing in a very unlucky way if you only refer to South America by associating it to "slums". Personally I'm from Chile, I live in no Slum, and I’m an avid supporter of the Genre, as I believe there are a few in Brazil that also are the same.

Also, the most active paraparascene overseas in the world IS from these "slums". Yeah, it is true that we have access to Juno, Musico, CDJapan, (e-shopping, in general) and purchasing Eurobeat isn't hard at all.

The reason Eurobeat doesn't sell (here in Chile at least), but it is listened via illegal and non-supportive means, is much more cultural than economical:
We live in the last country of the World; here it is no big market to have a vast offer of entertainment, and no conscience of the value of it. There are anti-piracy laws and policies, but “on the streets” it isn’t bad looked at all to buy a pirate movie, book, CD. Even less to download any kind of music. In the paraparascene it’s even a value to have a bigger collection of MP3s.
E-shopping it’s just starting to become popular down here, it’s not really as usual as it is in other places; our local “eBay” still requires people to get together and to perform the exchange money-good in person, so people aren’t used to purchase things online.
I think if there was a small label that would re-distribute Eurobeat music (kind of as it is Blanco y Negro in Spain) having no huge sales expectations, it would do decently. It would also definitely appeal to those forgotten 90’s Eurodance lovers, who haven’t been mentioned so far and they would be a strong target in a case. I could serve as a reseller, getting things on CDJapan and reselling them here, but the end price would be way too high to be appealing to any budget, I do import things by request; the only Para-related thing I’ve gotten is a few Techpara DVDs.
Besides the piracy culture fact, the parapara- scene could get to be a faithful customer of Eurobeat: As I stated on PPS, if the producers decided to go on-tour doing “live” (write the lyrics on your hand so the lip-sync will looks real) shows, I’m positive they would fill out the club they perform (if it was a 200ppl-ish club, hehe) quite a few times, and they could sell a few hundred of CDs or whatever they decided to bring, it could also serve to do meetings with the local labels, maybe to set a deal to distribute their albums, maybe there could be a customized bi-monthly compilation, kinda SEB , I dunno, my point is that a Tour through Brazil and Santiago(Chile) maybe some hotspot in the United States (I think you guys do travel a lot to do parapara, why wouldn’t you to GO2 a Eurobeat show, amirite?) would almost certainly serve as a business opportunity.
Maybe I’m taking speculations too far.
But here is no Slum, thanks =)

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 19 Feb 2010, 05:02

Jay wrote:As much as we'd like it to, an active ParaPara scene in the slums of South America and at random anime conventions isn't going to spring eurobeat back to life.
Whoa man slums is harsh. Have some respect.

Tiger also makes a good point about the 'listeners' and 'buyers' of Eurobeat. I'm not sure either about how well Eurobeat would sell here if it were available...

UFOPOLI
Eurobeat Boom

Post by UFOPOLI » 19 Feb 2010, 11:12

vinyl12 wrote:In 90s' and earty 00s' a few Korean music composers ripped off eurobeat songs, so maybe many koreans actually heard some eurobeat songs, although they don't know it was Eurobeat.
Like in Para Para Queen with 소유진? I'd be really interested to hear those because I'm a big fan of Korean music from that very period, so please tell me more :!:
Every time I'm free
I realize that funny time will take me higher

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 19 Feb 2010, 16:49

UFOPOLI wrote:
vinyl12 wrote:In 90s' and earty 00s' a few Korean music composers ripped off eurobeat songs, so maybe many koreans actually heard some eurobeat songs, although they don't know it was Eurobeat.
Like in Para Para Queen with 소유진? I'd be really interested to hear those because I'm a big fan of Korean music from that very period, so please tell me more :!:
If I'm correct, TTMA put out a euro song called "Loner" that is hear on Pump It Up. It's melody is a blantant rip-off of "Ok Alright" by Annerley Gordon. I'm interested to know of other K-Euro besides Loner and Parapara Queen myself.

Mirò
Euro To B

Post by Mirò » 19 Feb 2010, 20:15

Ehy guys!
Thank you very much for your support.

We've submitted your infos to the boss and he talked about it with Avex itself, face to face with the producers who came here in Italy in visit to the labels.

I think this poll was proposed to show Avex some files about eurobeat in the world and say "ehy you! they exist too!" and maybe start a sort of globalization idea... or stuff like this.

Anyway, though we don't NEED this poll anymore, it's an interesting topic to continue, so don't stop.

That said, I will tell you how eurobeat situation is here in Italy.
We have a really few people listening to it and enjoying it SERIOUSLY.
Most of them have known it through parapara and loved it.
A good number of these people buy CDs from Japan and online.
I personally do.

We're, since years, trying to diffuse eurobeat through performances in AnimeCons but with poor results.
We see people on ComiCons doing some AnimePara but most of them are not informed about eurobeat and collocates this music among stuff like Hare Hare Yukai, Cirno Dance, Caramelldansen and so on.

A somewhat frustrating thing are people who watch our performances and don't even applause or follow the music though they're enjoying it (they would leave if they're not, wouldn't they?)

Anyway we'll keep on trying and we hope someday to have club nights and stuff.
We're trying to diffuse it out of animeCon too and we have plans to spread it more widely (legally) with the use of internet.

Do some of you have ideas to make the same?
<br>

nullsoon
Euro To B

Post by nullsoon » 19 Feb 2010, 20:52

I just threw a few ones ;3 over here and there, so I don't think I need to repeat those

UFOPOLI
Eurobeat Boom

Post by UFOPOLI » 22 Feb 2010, 13:03

para_rigby wrote:If I'm correct, TTMA put out a euro song called "Loner" that is hear on Pump It Up. It's melody is a blantant rip-off of "Ok Alright" by Annerley Gordon.
Oh totally, this is so obvious! But nice nonetheless :D Like the saying goes, Korea does good to music :grin:
Every time I'm free
I realize that funny time will take me higher

rufflegarden
Euro To B

Post by rufflegarden » 22 Feb 2010, 17:29

think positive!

chichiri
Bad Bad Bad

Post by chichiri » 23 Feb 2010, 19:56

"Nully" talk a lot of Eurobeat purchase in Chile but i have to disagree in a few points.

First of all, is not the only one that purchase eurobeat legally, but not everyone needs to post their collection on Discogs. Is not a personal attack, but someone can get a bad image of eurobeat fans from here.

Mainly the most easy way to purchase is by direct importation, 'cause you have a lot of options to paid of (i know that in CDjapan you can send the money via mail).

Is very difficult to get a credit card in Chile (a least, that you have an student account of certain Colleges), the requisite for most of banks hare that you need to have a lot of money in your salary and/or be at least +24 in some places. Most of people that listen Eurobeat are in the range of 15-21 and even so, their dads doesn't have credit card either.
A lot people tell me about this issue (the real Eurobeat freaks, they're like 40-50 in total), and they want to purchase legally an album or singles.

About the digital downloads, i think that Juno is the only avaliable for purchase albums (and they only have songs from Hi-NRG Attack, Akyr and Saifam). iTunes in Chile doesn't sell music (only apps for IPhone), so you need to make a fake account from other part of the world and buy some of the special collections (i try to do that, but i think that apple patch that "bug").

Fortunately, facebook is a great tool to talk with producers, and some of us can get singles directly from them, in a more easy way.

rokku
Bad Bad Bad

Post by rokku » 05 Mar 2010, 22:38

This is a topic I've been thinking about for a long time. I live in NYC, US and I am a beginning DJ. Eurobeat is probably my favorite genre to play, (others are Happy Hardcore/Jcore and Italo Disco). My hope is that once I am skilled enough to spin live, I can play a set at an anime convention or rave that includes a Eurobeat section.

I believe the best way to grow the fan base is by exposing more people to the music with good context. If a DJ plays Eurobeat in a mix with other songs it becomes more than just a hyperlink youtube song. People may go up and ask the DJ what where those songs, "I've never heard anything like that before". At an anime con, Para Para Panels teach routines for a song and educate people about Eurobeat and Para Para. New fans could discover it that way also.

I like to believe that there are more people out there who would enjoy Eurobeat but simply have no exposure to it. I may never have found this music if it where not for Initial D. And I really want to see how people with an open mind would respond to a taste of it in a small club in NYC. Sure it will never be as popular as Rap, Pop or even maybe UK Hardcore, but people say UK Hardcore gives them a headache and is too fast also and yet there is a fan base for it here with no radio play and limited club play during Raves.

And on a side note, I expose people every now and then to Eurobeat at Karaoke :P and not everyone complains.

Phil Jay Falcon

Re: Poll: Eurobeat in your country?

Post by Phil Jay Falcon » 25 May 2019, 11:38

That's a real difficult question.

But if you want to hear my opinion: I don't think, Eurobeat is THAT great here in germany. I'm pretty sure, only a few people knows about this genre. Of course, if the CDs are only sold in Japan, it is clear, that nobody here knows it. I just know one of my friends on PSN, who likes to hear Eurobeat, although I must confess that he owes it to me a little bit. Back in the day, I was in another forum, where also was a thread similiar to the "Today's tune"-Thread. By this time I also posted many Eurobeat-songs and one of the users there was also familiar with it. And one day he wrote me, that he became a huge Eurobeat-fan. which makes me a little happy and proud about it, cause it's always great to bring someone closer to the genre.

But the situation in general here in germany, well, it looks bleak. You must know, even if Eurobeat was good known here, maybe just a few people would hear it. The fact is: The Germans are a difficult audience. They hear only what is heard in their own country. The germans are very national, when it comes to foreign movies, music, whatever. Even US-Series can flop here, if they have not established themselves here for years. In this case, the Germans are very old-fashioned and can't be convinced by innovations. Above all, these prejudices. ><
Even though Germany is a very modern and progressive country, from the mentality they are still analog and not digital, if you know, what I mean.
I don't say, that every german here is like this. But I've watched that over the years and I know, how they tick in their heads. So I can't imagine, that Eurobeat would be that popular here, even if you could buy the CDs here.
In several Anime-forums, we had similiar discussions why in other countrys anime are so popular, but not in germany. In the case of Eurobeat, that wouldn't be different. There are other countries far ahead of us. The germans really here just hear german music or mainstream music in radios. I mean, imagine this, there are still people here, who still don't know, who "Queen" are. I still can't believe it. Of course, this concern the older generation, the young generation just hear Rap & Hip-Hop and this crap. This is sickening.

I wish, that Eurobeat would be a little better known here, but I think, that only a few people know about this. Maybe the "Internet-generation" knows it well, but in general you can forget it. I never meet someone, who hear Eurobeat. And that's sad. :(

alpines
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by alpines » 25 May 2019, 13:13

Phil Jay Falcon wrote: 25 May 2019, 11:38The fact is: The Germans are a difficult audience. They hear only what is heard in their own country. The germans are very national, when it comes to foreign movies, music, whatever. Even US-Series can flop here, if they have not established themselves here for years. In this case, the Germans are very old-fashioned and can't be convinced by innovations
[...]
Even though Germany is a very modern and progressive country, from the mentality they are still analog and not digital, if you know, what I mean.
I don't say, that every german here is like this. But I've watched that over the years and I know, how they tick in their heads. So I can't imagine, that Eurobeat would be that popular here, even if you could buy the CDs here.
[...]
The germans really here just hear german music or mainstream music in radios. I mean, imagine this, there are still people here, who still don't know, who "Queen" are. I still can't believe it. Of course, this concern the older generation, the young generation just hear Rap & Hip-Hop and this crap. This is sickening.
Are we living in the same country because I couldn't disagree more on the fact that Germans are a difficult audience.
There is no nationality in the music taste either since most Germans fear to even take the word "national" in their mouth which is really sad.

All you hear on public FM radio is Top 40 charts which get played over and over for months featuring the same, easily-digestable lightweight pseudo-deep music. And these charts are pulled out from god knows where. They are deliberately pushing artists and songs which haven't been heard before.

The result is easily observable, I didn't hear anyone complain about the radio here yet. They just take it which I can't understand at all.
Same problem with TV, nearly every show (except Reality TV shows) is from the US just take a look at tvspielfilm and go through the channels.
The public service television channels (ARD, ZDF, ...) are a waste of money and I don't need to talk about those.

Even if Eurobeat was available it wouldn't catch on because the audience isn't used to it, it would take a lot of effort, time and money to make it catch on and it's just easier to milk the citizens with the kind of music I mentioned before.

But I'll give you one point, and that's with the Rap and Hip Hop music taking off like crazy since many people have shifted towards Spotify and it's easier to release your stuff than to go to a label and let them take a big cut. I still don't like it, trash music in my ears.

It makes me really sad to see that people just play along with this. I sometimes spent hours and days on the internet just to find that one circle, artist or song that really fits my taste.

Crockett
Eurobeat Master

Post by Crockett » 25 May 2019, 17:52

-
Last edited by Crockett on 13 Jun 2019, 16:53, edited 15 times in total.