THE FUTURE OF EUROBEAT, YOUR OPINIONS..

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 09 Nov 2010, 08:04

Vadim
Biggest scare to americans and europeans are hi bpm.
They just can't listen to songs in 145-165 range.
It's a torture to 'em...
I know exactly what you mean. Even the Iventi D Azzurro weekly charts shyed away from Eurobeat when it went over the 150 bpm rmnge.

Let's not forget Dark In The Night- Maio & Co. a song so popular in Japan that once even M. Vanni lipsynched it on stage. BTW, Mr. Vanni appears on the cover sleeve of Dart In My Heart- Maio & Co and co-wrote a few songs for TIME. It's strange how they didn't ask Nando to perform it. After all, he did sing it. My guess is that he had allready migrated to DELTA records

Anyway, I guess Nite Of Fire takes the cake as most celebrated Eurobeat song. It even got a X-Mas cover.LOL!

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 09 Nov 2010, 10:20

Vadim wrote:Biggest scare to americans and europeans are hi bpm.
It's a torture to 'em...
Except for those of us that, uh, MAKE the stuff~

I know what you mean though. Our forms of pop are pretty slow in contrast, even if there are a few places to go for higher-bpm stuff it's most certainly not mainstream.
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

Takarou
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Takarou » 09 Nov 2010, 13:15

Vadim wrote:Biggest scare to americans and europeans are hi bpm.
It's a torture to 'em...
Hi, American listener here... I tend to get bored if a song isn't in the 145-165 bpm range. I haven't tuned into a local radio station in probably about 10-11 years because the music is either too slow, not my style, just plain bad, or some combination of those three. It seems like maybe a large percentage of the American population may feel that way about faster songs, but Eurobeat certainly has American fans, too.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 10 Nov 2010, 07:10

Takarou
Hi, American listener here... I tend to get bored if a song isn't in the 145-165 bpm range. I haven't tuned into a local radio station in probably about 10-11 years because the music is either too slow, not my style, just plain bad, or some combination of those three. It seems like maybe a large percentage of the American population may feel that way about faster songs, but Eurobeat certainly has American fans, too.
,but dude, you are listening to Jager 24/7; which is about 85% American radio pop, so I got news for you. Turn on the radio and you might feel right at home. 8)

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 10 Nov 2010, 09:28

I just want to say: stop nagging about which songs are Eurobeat, and which songs are not. We had such discussions many times before, remember Labyrinth of Love? Or the song by Renoir? Eventually it's Avex who decides wether a song is Eurobeat or not, and apparantly they think Jager's song is Eurobeat.

Rate the song itself, do not rate how close the song is to some traditional eurobeat.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 10 Nov 2010, 10:04

DarkSky
just want to say: stop nagging about which songs are Eurobeat, and which songs are not. We had such discussions many times before, remember Labyrinth of Love? Or the song by Renoir? Eventually it's Avex who decides wether a song is Eurobeat or not, and apparantly they think Jager's song is Eurobeat.

Rate the song itself, do not rate how close the song is to some traditional eurobeat.
I have to disagree with and say that NO! It most definately is not AVEX who decides what song is Eurobeat or not. Its just that kind of attitude that gives AVEX too much say so in the matter. With that way of thinking you are saying that AVEX can include whatever song they want on the series and automatically it becomes Eurobeat? So if AVEX; out of the blue, decides to include a Justin Beaver song on a compilation, it becomes Eurobeat just like that? I say no, to that way of thinking. Every genre of music has to have some sort of guidelines in order for it to be concidered from that genre to begin with. I'm not saying that Jager song was completely abysmal, but I am saying that it would have been suited as track 14 on the cd; which is the one track that sounds farthest from Eurobeat.

oh and for the record, I liked Labrynth of Love, cuz it still had a lot of Eurobeat features. Renoire, not so much :P

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 10 Nov 2010, 10:38

Well this is just me, but I'm here with Darksky. Songs that step out of the traditional eurobeat form are just a refreshing change of pace, I hardly doubt they'll replace the more 'classical' eurobeat on Super Eurobeat.

It's the classical eurobeat labels doing the music in the end, if they wish to venture to other venues as well, they are most certainly entitled to doing such. And music does evolve, it doesn't need to be stationary and keep a strict structure & style. The question whether these different songs have to be defined as 'eurobeat' is beside the point, they are songs done by the labels who have been at it for decades now.

If the labels produce great songs done in different styles it only makes sense for Avex to include them on SEB. I'm fairly certain that the evolution of eurobeat has drawn in a lot of new fans, variety is the best offense anyways. If you only offer one style, you'll quickly lose a big fraction of the people.

And the so called 'genre boundaries' are made to be broken. That's what produces new material and new styles. If people want to venture further to give out silly extra titles like nu-eurobeat or such, then so be it. The labels are what defines eurobeat, I would think it's refreshing to try out new things instead of inventing the wheel over and over again. I strongly feel that the labels who currently try out different things and break these boundaries are what make eurobeat entertaining. I would not want to hear same stuff Time & A-Beat C did in the 90s over and over. 10,000 Lovers was a good example of that.

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 10 Nov 2010, 11:06

Listen to Doc.
He knows well whence eurobeat came from. He saw it happen in real time.

We can't afford extreme diversion in style because we have no other eurobeat outside at all. Conservation and preservation is vital to eurobeat existance.

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 10 Nov 2010, 12:26

Compare:

Mela - Help me

With a regular hi-speed Eurobeat song.

Matt Land Pamela

Oh no! what happened to Eurobeat, the sounds are so different, and wow the BPM is so high. And what are those synths, they're so strong. It's doesn't sound like Eurobeat anymore!

NO!

Just accept the way music is, it's evolving, and it will always be.
I'm not defending or attacking any parties, but I want to make clear that music is something that evolves, and it will always evolve. Eurobeat is music, so it evolves as well.

End of discussion for me.

jeurobeat
God of Romance

Post by jeurobeat » 10 Nov 2010, 14:51

I don't think any of us have problems with changes in eurobeat. The sound has changed a lot in de past decades. But earlier, the changes gave a unique touch to the style, things you didn't hear in other styles. Now, the changes are just blending the current pop sound into eurobeat. Jager and Renoir do that to such an extent, that the songs are really pop or trance.
Bore wrote:The labels are what defines eurobeat, I would think it's refreshing to try out new things instead of inventing the wheel over and over again.
I wouldn't say that as long as a song is produced by a eurobeat label, the song is still eurobeat, if that's what you mean. I fully agree that trying out new things is good. But unfortunately, many things tried out now are not new. These have been present in trance and pop for years already. Sinclaire was someone who tried new and very interesting things in the 90s. Most of you don't like his current style, but what he did in his early days was extremely refreshing and new. Totally the opposite of the current evolution. It is probably difficult to see that in retrospect, Vadim really hit the nail on the head.
DarkSky wrote:I just want to say: stop nagging about which songs are Eurobeat, and which songs are not. We had such discussions many times before, remember Labyrinth of Love? Or the song by Renoir? Eventually it's Avex who decides wether a song is Eurobeat or not, and apparantly they think Jager's song is Eurobeat.
Interesting to see that you are still trying to stop people from saying things. Avex doesn't decide what Eurobeat is at all. I wouldn't claim that ALFA invented the Eurobeat name, but ALFA released compilations way before AVEX was even established. Avex didn't invent the name. As for the reason to put those songs on SEB, it's also possible Avex just does that as a favor to the eurobeat producers who want exposure for their non-eurobeat stuff somewhere.
DarkSky wrote:Rate the song itself, do not rate how close the song is to some traditional eurobeat.
That only seems logical to me. But if I don't like a certain pop ingredient in a pop song, I probably won't like the ingredient when it is put into a eurobeat song either.

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 10 Nov 2010, 14:57

Great post, J-eurobeat!

Let's also wait for Doc's reply..

Great song from yesteryear, but it's too far away in time to be a surefire example for modern yet still proper eurobeat. But I do wish HRG made a new chick tune in that pure oldest form.

I am sure our mate DS can see that moonin'raker's Bad or even Jagger song is a totally different genre from Pamela.

P.S. I actually did like Jagger's song, but as a good radio pop,
not as eurobeat..
Last edited by Vadim on 10 Nov 2010, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 10 Nov 2010, 15:11

jeurobeat wrote:
Bore wrote:The labels are what defines eurobeat, I would think it's refreshing to try out new things instead of inventing the wheel over and over again.
I wouldn't say that as long as a song is produced by a eurobeat label, the song is still eurobeat, if that's what you mean.
No I was mainly referring to the fact that if the labels want to produce more pop-oriented or disco-influenced material then let it be so. It will please some, while others not. I don't really need all these genres to define what I like and what I don't and I don't understand why people have a huge need to define everything as something. If you like it, good, if you don't, move along.

Takarou
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Takarou » 10 Nov 2010, 15:20

drnrg wrote:,but dude, you are listening to Jager 24/7; which is about 85% American radio pop, so I got news for you. Turn on the radio and you might feel right at home. 8)
I do get a taste of the radio when I'm riding in my fiance's car (it's all he listens to). This has decreased since I got my car in July, but hey, I'm poor and gas costs money; we still take his car a lot. Trust me, I still know what's on the radio, and I still don't like it (rap, R&B, random island-y stuff, country/pop, slow pop, omg wtf is the obsession with this freakin' Ke$ha chick? No thx.). I wish I did in a lot of ways because I wouldn't have to go through the awkward attempts at explaining Eurobeat to people, not to mention how much cheaper it would be (radio = free; Eurobeat = ~$20-30 a month).

Of course, this may change in the future. I liked the radio in the 90's when Savage Garden and Rockell and Jennifer Paige graced the airways Like everything else, it's evolved. The 2000's were different from the 90's which were different from the 80's and the 70's, etc. Music changes and evolves. When the radio started evolving in a different direction than my own tastes, I jumped ship to something more my style. I've been lucky that my own tastes and the evolution of Eurobeat over the last 10-11 years match up.

I'm not going to argue with you on whether or not What D'You Want from Me is considered Eurobeat or not, because I don't really care about the genre label. I love the song, whatever you want to call it; it just happens that it was released on a Eurobeat album. This being a Eurobeat forum, it's going to come up. (and can you honestly tell me that songs from SEB 001 sound the same as SEB 51? 101? 151? Similarities, yes, but Eurobeat is evolving.)

TLDR: ILU, Eurobeat. <3<3

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 10 Nov 2010, 15:44

Hi NRG/Eurobeat ship was sunk in early 90-s everywhere outside of Japan. We don't want to lose the last refuge of that sound on this Earth.

Techno/commercial pop ppl do have nothing to loose from genre bending,
but Hi Nrg'ers like me and Doc stand to loose everything.

Hi NRG labels like PWL did lotsa genre bending in early 90-s and at the end old audience couldn't listen to their stuff, and new one found
their music too oldfashioned. So there was no more Hi NRG.
Now they make only fun and do Rick-rolls on it......

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 10 Nov 2010, 19:56

The evolution of Eurobeat:

Mela - Help Me
to
Matt Land - Pamela
to
Generic Dance/Pop music

RIP SEB

Only kidding of course ;)