Could a Eurobeat/parapara club outside of Japan stay open?

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
captainkatiakicz
Bad Bad Bad

Could a Eurobeat/parapara club outside of Japan stay open?

Post by captainkatiakicz » 04 Jul 2010, 02:47

I'm very curious about this, especially if it's possible for one to stay open in USA, or even open at all! UK apparently had one, which is sort of cool, but not surprising since raves started in the UK(I think). But it's also slightly surprising considering, to my knowledge (which I have little of because I've just been lurking here and there), no other eurobeat club exists outside of Japan! Nonetheless, I wanted to keep it open for discussion for those from different countries who may be wondering the same thing. :)

Of course I wish I could start up a club, but it seems so impossible right now, and even if I ever got around to it, it'd take a lot of work and dedication.

I imagine one could stay open, as long as there were musicians/DJs willing to play. Eurobeat isn't mainstream, but I still think there are so many people interested, even if they are scattered... once a club was advertised, eurobeat fans would flock to it.

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 04 Jul 2010, 04:03

Look into Diamond 7, the club that opened recently in Brazil. So far they've lasted, though American tastes for this sort of thing remains less tested. Hopefully Diamond 7 can open up new pathways for other countries.

...I wouldn't mind doing a Eurobeat night here in my county. I opened my friends' folk set with my own stuff and it turned out alright, so perhaps a night-ful might be worth testing?
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 04 Jul 2010, 04:40

The thing that people need to remember is that even in ;apan there are not entire clubs dedicated to eurobeat/para para, but rather clubs that rent out their spaces to event organizers.

While I don't think a club could survive on it's own I believe an event could work out with the proper planning :)

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 05 Jul 2010, 07:30

Events would survive I think, but a club.. hmm no I don't think so. The people who like Eurobeat and parapara are so spreaded around the country you live.. don't forget that they should all come to you by car/airplane/train/bus, they don't want to travel 1 time a week for a eurobeat party I think..
Last edited by DarkSky on 07 Jul 2010, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 07 Jul 2010, 21:19

Yeah even doing it once a month would be pushing it for somewhere outside of Japan I think =S

captainkatiakicz
Bad Bad Bad

Post by captainkatiakicz » 05 Sep 2010, 06:02

Thank you all for the informative answers... Though people here have probably been listening to eurobeat way longer than I have, it's easily one of my favorite genres. I'd really like to embark on a project and spread the love of eurobeat at gigs someday.

Densetsu, you seem to have a lot of knowledge... would you (and anyone else who is in the know) know by any chance how many eurobeat events there are in a year in Japan? From what I understand, I read in one of the topics on this forum somewhere, or maybe another site, that if you talk to someone in Japan you will quickly find out Eurobeat is "on its way out". It's not as popular as it used to be, and yet the SEB compilation seems to keep going. So it'd be interesting to see if events are still frequent or not..

Also, what do you guys think of the possibilty of touring events? Or do you still think Eurobeat, as completely unmainstream as it is, can only stick to occasional dates?

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 05 Sep 2010, 21:44

Ouf, how many events in a year in Japan? That's a loaded question :P.

Just the main 3 (SEF, 9LoveJ, Star Fire) alone are monthly. Then you have lots of other events that are either monthly as well (Tsuchiura Gold, Super Euro Night, etc.), events that are once in a while (Club Bonkura, Kenya Matsuri, etc.), or one shot special events. Multiple of these events also do tours every now and then.

Long story short there are a ton of events but attendance is definitely declining overall. Events that used to be weekly (like B1-Dynamite) are lowering their frequency and some events are just outright stopping (did you all know that the legendary club King & Queen closed it's doors July? RIP Disco 90s and Magical Rave :().

Despite all of this, there seems to be some push to promote more aggressively and avex seems to be helping with that. For example the new Eurobeat Disney songs like Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride and Namina Namina both have releases on SEB (as well as that avex Disney album) with clubs all over Japan promoting the shit out of the routines being choreographed for them. Plus these songs/routines are hugely popular.

Also Ryuichi, one of the main choreographers of TechPara in Japan, is joining forces again with avex which can only mean that avex is looking towards the para scene again to help promote their product.

It may still be a bit too early to speculate but despite the decline in interest lately, the scene isn't going down without a fight. If the support of avex does boost attendance in the clubs and also boost the sales of CDs then I guess the argument of whether Para Para helps or hurts Eurobeat will finally be put to rest.

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 06 Sep 2010, 05:43

Densetsu13 wrote:Then you have lots of other events that are either monthly as well (Tsuchiura Gold, Super Euro Night, etc.), events that are once in a while (Club Bonkura, Kenya Matsuri, etc.), or one shot special events. Multiple of these events also do tours every now and then.
SEN is maishuu thursdays :O I believe it is the only "major" weekly event in japan right now.

rokku
Bad Bad Bad

Post by rokku » 14 Sep 2010, 01:47

A little late response (haven't looked at the forum in a while ^^; ) but... I've found myself asking similar questions to this all my life, since I live in the US and I've liked so much music that isn't popular here.

My feelings right now are that the only way to really hear Eurobeat in a club (environment) is alongside other genres in a bigger event. Whether its at an anime convention as an anime dance party type thing, or at a rave as a special set alongside more traditional rave music. There just aren't enough people who are into it, or have even heard of it.

I'm slowly starting to DJ and I'd love to spin Eurobeat at events, I'm really wondering how people would respond to it in a club when dancing is encouraged...especially at a rave event where people will not shy away from music they haven't heard.

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 14 Sep 2010, 02:39

Trying to correlate eurobeat and rave isn't really a good idea. At most raves that have tried to play eurobeat, it tends to be very strange because people don't know how to dance to it. They certainly don't know any parapara routines. Jumping up and down like dancing to hardcore doesn't cut it for songs like King & Queen, For A Crazy Love etc.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 15 Sep 2010, 02:00

Tiger
Jumping up and down like dancing to hardcore
is that the dancing that type of music inspires :???:

Shawaazu
Master of Time

Post by Shawaazu » 15 Sep 2010, 07:21

drnrg wrote:Tiger
No, it inspires this

Remember to mute the second video to get the full effect :)

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 15 Sep 2010, 11:39

Shawaazu
Remember to mute the second video to get the full effect Smile
I did that just cause that song was that bad.

first off; chick in the blue daisy dukes and white bikini top= very shaggable, but OMG they are really jumping around and flapping their arms like chickens. :!: They must be on a little Stardust themselves?

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 16 Sep 2010, 02:26

drnrg wrote:Tiger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dabDwQaczm0

8)

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 16 Sep 2010, 20:29

That's right! My friend told me that extacy is the prefered drug of ravers :D