New to Eurobeat

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Bonkers
Euroheater

New to Eurobeat

Post by Bonkers » 03 Oct 2010, 14:22

Hey peeps. I'm new to this Eurobeat genre. I've spent the last 7-8 years of my life devoted to collecting Happy Hardcore music, and for anyone who listens to upfront Happy Hardcore, it's gotten pretty dry which is why I've been searching for new dance genres that still have a fast beat. I own Super Eurobeat vol. 47, Best of 2000, and I've got Euromach 4 & 5 on order. Do the DJs who mix on Eurobeat albums use the actual vinyl/full length versions of the tracks, or do the DJs just kind of copy & paste type of mixing (remember, I'm use to Happy Hardcore cd mixes). I've also noticed that A-Beat C records seems to be, or use to, a strong label, but disogs isn't showing any recent releases by them. I was just wondering if yall could catch me up to speed since the majority of the cds of Eurobeat I own are from 2000.

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 03 Oct 2010, 15:20

A-Beat C has been disbanded earlier this year by G. Pasquini (a.k.a. Dave Rodgers). He now has a new label set up called Sun Fire Records under which he is still releasing Eurobeat (although many people are still waiting for this new label to show the flashes of brilliance that A-Beat C had).

As for non-stop mixes, you will generally find that they are more "cut-and-paste" than other more mainstream dance genres. The last Happy Hardcore album I listened to had fairly long transitions of between 30 seconds to 1 minute with the beats gradually being overlayed until one track ended and the next one took over - you will rarely ever find that in Eurobeat non-stop mixes.

Eurobeat has changed quite a lot since even the year 2000, so my advice would be to check out some of the more recent Super Eurobeat compilations (you can hear 30 minute samples if you search from Super Eurobeat on iTunes Japan). Hopefully you'll fall in love with the genre just like I did. :wink:

WNight
Euroheater

Post by WNight » 03 Oct 2010, 16:45

Eurobeat has changed a lot since 2000, so you might want to have a "refresher" by listening to the current eurobeats like SEB 201 to 207 which I highly recommend because this decade has been fantastic and perhaps, the best in my opinion.

A-Beat-C huh ? Not anymore. Dave has EVOLVED it into Sun Fire, A way more stronger and powerful label that has just debuted recently on SEB 206.

Megan188
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Megan188 » 03 Oct 2010, 17:18

I'd say aside from simply being "newer", eurobeat is also a lot more variable than it was 10 years ago. A bunch of new labels (some of which were previously only on Euromach) have joined the Super Eurobeat series, for a grand total of 9 different labels on a single 14-track compilation. A lot of songs also dig pretty deep into styles that aren't traditionally eurobeat-like, usually slowing down the tempo or incorperating a lot of elements from disco, groove, eurodance, or very old eurobeat (italo disco). They don't always work, but from a general standpoint, they do make for a much more interesting and less monotonous listening experience.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 04 Oct 2010, 01:19

If I were you I would listen to ItaloDisco and ItaloHi Energy and hear how it has evolved to Eurobeat. Google Eurobeat and I'm sure you'll find lots of sights with song samples.

The new sound is more or less returning to the older sound just in a bit more modern style.

Juno is an online mp3 purchasing site were you can sample many songs from premier lables like HRG Attack, Saifm, and classic label Vibration. I'm sure there are other ERurobeat sites where you can sample more lables.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 04 Oct 2010, 01:57

the_ditz wrote:A-Beat C has been disbanded earlier this year by G. Pasquini (a.k.a. Dave Rodgers). He now has a new label set up called Sun Fire Records under which he is still releasing Eurobeat (although many people are still waiting for this new label to show the flashes of brilliance that A-Beat C had).

As for non-stop mixes, you will generally find that they are more "cut-and-paste" than other more mainstream dance genres. The last Happy Hardcore album I listened to had fairly long transitions of between 30 seconds to 1 minute with the beats gradually being overlayed until one track ended and the next one took over - you will rarely ever find that in Eurobeat non-stop mixes.

Eurobeat has changed quite a lot since even the year 2000, so my advice would be to check out some of the more recent Super Eurobeat compilations (you can hear 30 minute samples if you search from Super Eurobeat on iTunes Japan). Hopefully you'll fall in love with the genre just like I did. :wink:
What about when Eurobeat is mixed live? Do the DJs use the full length vinyl/mp3 versions.

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MAtRiCks » 04 Oct 2010, 02:49

Bonkers wrote:
the_ditz wrote:A-Beat C has been disbanded earlier this year by G. Pasquini (a.k.a. Dave Rodgers). He now has a new label set up called Sun Fire Records under which he is still releasing Eurobeat (although many people are still waiting for this new label to show the flashes of brilliance that A-Beat C had).

What about when Eurobeat is mixed live? Do the DJs use the full length vinyl/mp3 versions.
From what I understood, the djs in japanese clubs do mostly use extended versions of the tracks on vinyl and mp3, but it still isn't music with progressive-structured build-up to mix with like Happy Hardcore, so the transitions are very fast paced and don't last very long.

About A-Beat-C: The label's main players during the golden years of Eurobeat (roughly 1995-2005) have recently split up and formed two new labels: Sun Fire Records and GoGo's Music. They're both signed to Avex and their songs come out on Super Eurobeat every month (or almost).

I think it was a good move from you to buy the Euromach 4 and 5 CD's. The Euromach series was coming out in Japan at a time when Eurobeat was most popular there. I don't think anyone would argue that this series has the best ratio of amazing songs and total eurobeat anthems.

Unfortunately, Eurobeat is in quite a dry spell as well. There is only one solid compilation consistantly coming out at the moment (Super Eurobeat), many artists have deserted the genre and not that many newcomers manage to steal the limelight efficiently. Just like in Hardcore, some of the old players are hanging in there, but most of their sounds seems to be getting more and more tired.

Still, you are blessed with the gift of having two solid decades of music to discover! Make sure to explore the following compilation series:

Super Eurobeat
Euromach
Eurobeat Flash
Europanic!
VIP Mega Euro Star
Love2Para

Also, as a fellow Happy hardcore enthusiast, I encourage you to check out my latest demo mix, Mayhem In Dreamland. You can find it down here in my signature =)

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 04 Oct 2010, 03:11

MAtRiCks wrote:
Bonkers wrote:

From what I understood, the djs in japanese clubs do mostly use extended versions of the tracks on vinyl and mp3, but it still isn't music with progressive-structured build-up to mix with like Happy Hardcore, so the transitions are very fast paced and don't last very long.

About A-Beat-C: The label's main players during the golden years of Eurobeat (roughly 1995-2005) have recently split up and formed two new labels: Sun Fire Records and GoGo's Music. They're both signed to Avex and their songs come out on Super Eurobeat every month (or almost).

I think it was a good move from you to buy the Euromach 4 and 5 CD's. The Euromach series was coming out in Japan at a time when Eurobeat was most popular there. I don't think anyone would argue that this series has the best ratio of amazing songs and total eurobeat anthems.

Unfortunately, Eurobeat is in quite a dry spell as well. There is only one solid compilation consistantly coming out at the moment (Super Eurobeat), many artists have deserted the genre and not that many newcomers manage to steal the limelight efficiently. Just like in Hardcore, some of the old players are hanging in there, but most of their sounds seems to be getting more and more tired.

Still, you are blessed with the gift of having two solid decades of music to discover! Make sure to explore the following compilation series:

Super Eurobeat
Euromach
Eurobeat Flash
Europanic!
VIP Mega Euro Star
Love2Para

Also, as a fellow Happy hardcore enthusiast, I encourage you to check out my latest demo mix, Mayhem In Dreamland. You can find it down here in my signature =)
lol, guess who....This is warped_candykid!!!

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MAtRiCks » 04 Oct 2010, 03:21

hahaha, hey buddy! glad to see you foud this site! =)

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 04 Oct 2010, 03:26

MAtRiCks wrote:hahaha, hey buddy! glad to see you foud this site! =)
Ya, but I feel that I'm too late for the genre! It seems I've missed the limelight years of this genre. I at least caught the 2002+ re-birth of HHC.

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 04 Oct 2010, 03:29

Bonkers wrote:

While I was in Japan I saw that it was a lot of fast mixing using extendeds on vinyl or mp3. I also noticed that the DJs sometime make their own edits of tracks with interesting to use transitions for their live sets (just like the mixing you hear on your usual nonstop Eurobeat CD).

I'm also a Hardcore enthusiast and I will say that the style of mixing is significantly different between the two genres but both enjoyable in ther own ways as well. 8)

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 04 Oct 2010, 06:01

Bonkers wrote:Ya, but I feel that I'm too late for the genre!
For the major-label variety, you did miss its peak but you're still catching its existence as a popular(-ish) genre. There is a budding independent scene in Japan and slowly budding in the USA and other countries. We've NEVER had more independent Eurobeat labels producing material than we do in this current time (Magic Hammer, Disko Warp, Sugano, Odyssey Music, DTZ Project, NJK Records, A-One, Akiba Koubou...), so the genre is certainly alive and kicking.
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

thejti
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by thejti » 04 Oct 2010, 14:57

zoupzuop2 wrote:
Bonkers wrote:Ya, but I feel that I'm too late for the genre!
For the major-label variety, you did miss its peak but you're still catching its existence as a popular(-ish) genre. There is a budding independent scene in Japan and slowly budding in the USA and other countries. We've NEVER had more independent Eurobeat labels producing material than we do in this current time (Magic Hammer, Disko Warp, Sugano, Odyssey Music, DTZ Project, NJK Records, A-One, Akiba Koubou...), so the genre is certainly alive and kicking.
A lot of the independent's should put together a few non-stop mix compilations on iTunes a year. Your stuff, Travis, is definitely off the hook so I think it would do well!
Stop City Lover Can't You Break My Style?