Super Eurobeat 211

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Post Reply
the_ditz
Euroheater
Posts: 1942
Joined: 04 Nov 2005, 22:25
Location: Hunting down Pamsy!!

Post by the_ditz » 25 Jan 2011, 22:15

Every genre evolves, and it's not as if the tracks with faster BPMs are gone - the Hotblade, Dejo & Bon and Dave Rodgers tracks are all what I would consider the older style speedy BPMs, while the Vicky Vale and David Dima tracks aren't far behind. Sure, we have more tracks exploring more melodic and lyrical styles with slower BPMs, but it's not as if Eurobeat is now exclusively a sub-140 BPM genre.

I'm starting to think I'm the only person that's enjoying this new phase of the Super Eurobeat series... :???:

DarkSky
Euroheater
Posts: 1317
Joined: 26 Oct 2007, 09:48
Contact:

Post by DarkSky » 25 Jan 2011, 22:31

the_ditz wrote:Every genre evolves, and it's not as if the tracks with faster BPMs are gone - the Hotblade, Dejo & Bon and Dave Rodgers tracks are all what I would consider the older style speedy BPMs, while the Vicky Vale and David Dima tracks aren't far behind. Sure, we have more tracks exploring more melodic and lyrical styles with slower BPMs, but it's not as if Eurobeat is now exclusively a sub-140 BPM genre.

I'm starting to think I'm the only person that's enjoying this new phase of the Super Eurobeat series... :???:
I'm on your side bro ;)

thejti
Eurobeat Scholar
Posts: 383
Joined: 14 Mar 2009, 01:31

Post by thejti » 25 Jan 2011, 23:58

DarkSky wrote:
the_ditz wrote:Every genre evolves, and it's not as if the tracks with faster BPMs are gone - the Hotblade, Dejo & Bon and Dave Rodgers tracks are all what I would consider the older style speedy BPMs, while the Vicky Vale and David Dima tracks aren't far behind. Sure, we have more tracks exploring more melodic and lyrical styles with slower BPMs, but it's not as if Eurobeat is now exclusively a sub-140 BPM genre.

I'm starting to think I'm the only person that's enjoying this new phase of the Super Eurobeat series... :???:
I'm on your side bro ;)
Third. Everyone familiar with me know I enjoy slower songs and sometimes even slow down the faster songs (hearing Let It Burn by Go 2 at 140 bpms is really cool). If anything, Bon's song "Toy For Love" has the classic Sinclaire style he was famous for when he was with A-Beat C while mixing his "Delta" style synths. Dima's sexy dance style music (Labyrinth of Love is still one of my favorite songs of the past year) and SCP's disco/trance style always works for me. Has Eurobeat changed greatly? Yes. Cause when it was the same, people weren't buying it.

As much as this statement is gonna rub people the wrong way, the producers really hated doing the goofy and "bazooka" style eurobeat all the time. They actually love doing the slower stuff way more. The melodies and incorporation of old school italo and early eurobeat style is what's in now quite frankly and though it may not be as economically successful as the good old days, without a budding parapara boom in Japan, this is how it's gonna be for a while. People wanting the fast stuff should quite frankly start making the music themselves. If DJ Command did english stuff and more independent people mixed in the "Dave Rodgers" A-Beat C stuff where it wasn't super goofy but wasn't super serious either (think Race Is The Game or The Race Is Over or anything from Ace Warrior pre-150s), this would pick up. I'd love to see an independent eurobeat artist and producer do a Lolita style. Consider this a challenge!
Stop City Lover Can't You Break My Style?

Megan188
Bazooka Bellydancer
Posts: 234
Joined: 17 May 2009, 06:26

Post by Megan188 » 26 Jan 2011, 02:23

Honestly, I do like a lot of the slower tracks that have been released as of late - The Magic of Sunshine and Hard To Say I'm Sorry are the greatest examples - but I still far prefer faster, more energetic eurobeat. If italo is all that we get, as you have in-mind, Jorge, then the series is going to completely detract from what truly made me love it in the first place. Including italo-style tracks is an excellent idea, in my opinion, since it adds a lot more variety to every release of the series, but if it's overdone, then we could be left with a bunch of tracks in the style that sound rather forgettable, as is the case here, for me at least.

To be honest, however, I think the main problem is not so much that more labels are experimenting with the slower style more frequently, but simply the fact that Saifam and Eurogrooves, generally my two favorite labels, are just totally out of it now. These two labels balanced out the series in an important way to me, and not showcasing them effectively leaves so much to be desired for the series. I'm really starting to miss the presence of Eurogrooves and their raw, addictive, catchy productions such as Take This Way, Euronight, and even the Veronica cover of Mamma Mia. The same idea applies with Saifam - just a few years ago, they were churning out groundbreaking anthems like Tokyo Tonight and Loveline, and now they're releasing pathetic covers of Jailhouse Rock and Aloha-Oe Until We Meet Again. Quite truly, I probably wouldn't be complaining nearly as much about the current state of the SEB series if this weren't the case.

Bonkers
Euroheater
Posts: 1296
Joined: 03 Oct 2010, 14:11
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Post by Bonkers » 26 Jan 2011, 03:09

What happened to the acts Go Go Girls, Lolita, and Virginelle?

User avatar
Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru
Posts: 2976
Joined: 26 Jan 2007, 01:18
Contact:

Post by Lebon14 » 26 Jan 2011, 07:39

I think that 7A totally put a death toll on SEB's head. The current popularity in Japan is speed and, she (7A) goes totally the opposite way. She is NOT gonna revive SEB like that. No way. If you want to keep something popular or want to reach popularity, you need to go the way the market goes (for that genre). No exception. I don't have a diploma in marketing and I know that. Slow stuff isn't made for SEB. That's it, that's all.

How funny that I like the 5 songs that are fast but not the slow ones... hmm...
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom
Posts: 190
Joined: 19 Jun 2004, 04:37
Location: Montreal, Quebec (Canada)

Post by MAtRiCks » 26 Jan 2011, 23:56

the_ditz wrote: Sure, we have more tracks exploring more melodic and lyrical styles with slower BPMs
More than when? We only have a few artists like Capaldi, Dima or Castagna still digging to come up with soulful and emotionally moving melodies. The likes of Dave Rodgers, Sandro Oliva and whoever still bothers writing at Hi-NRG Attack seem very determined not to give a flying fcuk about the chord progression and overall emotion of their tracks. Knowing what these people are ultimately capable of, it's a major let down.

It's just my perception of course, what doesn't move me might well bring you to tears. The genre has changed so much over the last decade, I just hope it doesn't lose ALL of it's shine before it can come out of this slump. There's just so little fresh blood around :( ...Go Travis! :P

thejti
Eurobeat Scholar
Posts: 383
Joined: 14 Mar 2009, 01:31

Post by thejti » 27 Jan 2011, 00:36

Like I said, I want to see what independent people can do. But I don't want to hear bazooka, parapara or overuses of fire and use it as an excuse of "that's what eurobeat's all about!!". I want to see quality english tracks that use great melodies. If u want to go fast go for it.
Stop City Lover Can't You Break My Style?

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom
Posts: 190
Joined: 19 Jun 2004, 04:37
Location: Montreal, Quebec (Canada)

Post by MAtRiCks » 27 Jan 2011, 00:42

Bonkers wrote:What happened to the acts Go Go Girls, Lolita, and Virginelle?
These three acts have moved from A-Beat-C to GoGo's Music during the split. The common link between them is the main Vocalist Elena Gobbi, backed up for Go Go Girls mostly by Domino. They're definitely not as proeminent now than they were 5 or 10 years ago, but they had the odd apparition in the last decades of SEB. Check out My Hot Guitar by the Go Go Girls on SEB 202, Good Love And Mystery by Lolita on SEB 204 and The Power Of Love by Virginelle on SEB 198. They're all powerful and beautiful tracks in my opinion.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru
Posts: 6935
Joined: 17 May 2005, 07:18
Location: searching for missing Eurogrooves trax

Post by drnrg » 27 Jan 2011, 05:07

the_ditz
I'm starting to think I'm the only person that's enjoying this new phase of the Super Eurobeat series...
There are actually quite a few of us who can enjoy both the Fast and Italo style of Eurobeat at the same level. Like I mentioned before; Slowing down the bpms ,actually opens up the door to create new synth riffs and melodies....and explore more lyrical content than just the usual Fire-Higher- Desire Those of you into lyrics can actually see a great improvement in this area.

The gap between Italo and Eurobeat is no more a huge abyss separating two genres, but rather a comon ground were both can unite and co exsist as incredible melodic music.

As for Eurogrooves and Saifam. I'm still keeping up my hopes high that these two labels are, in fact hard at work creating new m,usic that will soon enough be included onto SEB's current format. I know for a fact that both Farina and Dall Ora were around during the Italo years and are probobly dreaming up new melodies as we speak.

and above all., it is a February release. Slower material is expected, but then again not many of you cared for SEB 194, so I'm not at all surprised if the magoraty pass up on 211.

BTW, I would just like to add, that I see 2011 as a year when many big names will return to the genre. Weather it be the slower style or whatever, but I already notice one of the biggest ,Ken Lazslo, making a huge comeback.

DarkSky
Euroheater
Posts: 1317
Joined: 26 Oct 2007, 09:48
Contact:

Post by DarkSky » 27 Jan 2011, 09:32

Woah look at this:

Image

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru
Posts: 6935
Joined: 17 May 2005, 07:18
Location: searching for missing Eurogrooves trax

Post by drnrg » 27 Jan 2011, 11:09

Now see, that describes Dave Rodgers music! Am I right, or am I right? 8)

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom
Posts: 190
Joined: 19 Jun 2004, 04:37
Location: Montreal, Quebec (Canada)

Post by MAtRiCks » 27 Jan 2011, 13:20

drnrg wrote:the_ditz
I'm starting to think I'm the only person that's enjoying this new phase of the Super Eurobeat series...
There are actually quite a few of us who can enjoy both the Fast and Italo style of Eurobeat at the same level. Like I mentioned before; Slowing down the bpms ,actually opens up the door to create new synth riffs and melodies....and explore more lyrical content than just the usual Fire-Higher- Desire Those of you into lyrics can actually see a great improvement in this area.
If only it was all about the bpm change... The speed decrease is only a small part of the intense reform SEB is undergoing at the moment. And I personally blame the lack of fire, desire, higher, extacy, set me free, you and me, tendrely, to the absence of dall ora material. Once he's back (hopefully), we will be seeing more cheese lyrics like that, as he's the king of it. Dave might also never let go of the F word, as seen on SEB 211. That being said, I like my slower Eurobeat, but when it sounds more aggressive and less bubble-gum 80's pop like we've seen on SEB lately. *goes back to listening to Shotgun Killer*.

the_ditz
Euroheater
Posts: 1942
Joined: 04 Nov 2005, 22:25
Location: Hunting down Pamsy!!

Post by the_ditz » 27 Jan 2011, 22:38

MAtRiCks wrote:
the_ditz wrote: Sure, we have more tracks exploring more melodic and lyrical styles with slower BPMs
More than when? We only have a few artists like Capaldi, Dima or Castagna still digging to come up with soulful and emotionally moving melodies. The likes of Dave Rodgers, Sandro Oliva and whoever still bothers writing at Hi-NRG Attack seem very determined not to give a flying fcuk about the chord progression and overall emotion of their tracks. Knowing what these people are ultimately capable of, it's a major let down.

It's just my perception of course, what doesn't move me might well bring you to tears. The genre has changed so much over the last decade, I just hope it doesn't lose ALL of it's shine before it can come out of this slump. There's just so little fresh blood around :( ...Go Travis! :P
I don't agree with what you said about Hi-NRG Attack - for me, they are at the top of their game when it comes tot he melodic composition of their songs. Tracks like The Magic of Sunshine, Rainy Days and (from the sample) Cherry Lips are all highly tuneful and melodic tracks that really appeal to my ear. Sure, their chord progressions can be a bit old-school and for some this may a negative, but I view it as a way of re-defining the classic Eurobeat structures while still keeping that retro vibe fresh.

Delta are also highly melodic, with Queen of Heart being their shining moment of the recent past, and Dima and Castagna on the whole are trying some more "out-there" ideas that sometimes work amazingly well and sometimes end up sounding just a bit odd. Travis writes very much in an "old school" style (for the two tracks that have featured on SEB so far anyway) but I guess I'm just savouring the change in focus and style as it appeals to my great loves - really strong melodies and infectious hooks.

At the end of the day, the Eurobeat scene will always be a wide myriad of different ideas, styles and opinions - one person's treasure can be another person's trash. I just don't think people should be so rash in dismissing the progressions within the genre as it will always find a way of reinventing itself in new and intriguing ways like it has always done in the past. If you're not majorly digging this stage, the next innovations may just be more to your tastes... ;)

WNight
Euroheater
Posts: 1346
Joined: 08 Oct 2008, 03:32
Location: Superfantastico Land

Post by WNight » 28 Jan 2011, 09:37

DarkSky wrote:Woah look at this:

Image
Desktop wallpaper FTW.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest