Eurobeat mixes by independent DJs, not cds...

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 26 May 2011, 22:13

Oh hey, it's not hard to beatmatch eurobeat. It's the same as beatmatching every style of music - just get the bpms right. New eurobeat mostly sits around 155 bpm (with slower songs being 145 bpm, faster ones up to 165 bpm). Pitching songs up or down a few bpms isn't bad at all, and there are a lot of really good deejay programs that can do that.

It's just that it's really hard because the main focus of eurobeat is usually the synth line. And you can't really mix synth lines into eachother, because they're just too 'active'. There's just too much going on. It's like mixing vocals thoughout eachother; earbleeding - and nobody can understand either of the vocals. Same happens with eurobeat synths.

If you take house music, it's really easy. There are a lot of breaks where you'll just have a easy-going (compared to eurobeat) synth going on, and another track with just the bass-kicks. That'll blend just perfectly (and even better when harmonized correctly). But there is no such thing with eurobeat, sadly. And that makes mixing eurobeat really hard.

Why is older eurobeat easier to mix? There the synths aren't that much the focus of the song. The songs were mastered differently back then, and breaks were much more real 'breaks' rather than just the vocals missing.

What I am trying to do is create extended intro's/outro's, make some rearrangements in those intro's/outro's, and time everything right. Even when I get it done at home, at a party it might fail completely, but that's okay. I'll smile, and just have fun - because that's what it is all about it in the end. And meanwhile, I'm practicing to get better at mixing eurobeat.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 27 May 2011, 01:31

the_ditz wrote:You can use freeware programs such as Mixmeister BPM Analyzer that will give the BPM of an mp3. It's not fail-proof and sometimes shows incorrect values, but it will normally be pretty accurate to within +/-0.01BPM.

But yeah, trial and error can sometimes be required. Of course this is easier to do on a PC that "live" using turntables as you can always easily undo your steps if they don't work out right!
Note that Mixmeister also reads WAV files... that's for lossless freaks like me.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 27 May 2011, 17:15

As I said, there are a lot of programs that can do that. MixMeister is just for 'beginners', try VirtualDJ or Traktor for more options.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 29 May 2011, 23:19

I use Virtual DJ when I create Happy Hardcore mixes. I don't consider myself a DJ because I think DJs should either use vinyl or cdjs...without the sync button, but it is something fun to do when I have down time.

I just recently discovered that Hi-NRG Attack has some of their catalogue up on junodownload, so when I get some extra cash, I might buy a few tracks and have a go at it with Virtual DJ.

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 30 May 2011, 07:43

I'm using VirtualDJ as well (just because my controller works best with VDJ). The sync button can come in handy, but should only be used with care, as it isn't always correct.

Mixing eurobeat is really a lot harder than mixing hardcore (or anything for that matter), so good luck with that. :P

Here is a vid of last Deshima Sounds, last Saturday. At around 50 mins Neodash stops his hyper techno set, and I start a 'new eurobeat' set. Some transitions are okay, most are... not so much. ;(!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 02 Jun 2011, 06:10

That does indeed look dandy. Like two little turn tables that I can control with clicks.- HMM.. If I can find this online for free, I'll probobly download it just for fun. 8)

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 02 Jun 2011, 21:17

There is a free version up at virtualdj.com. It's limited, but free.