Eurobeat mixes by independent DJs, not cds...

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Bonkers
Euroheater

Eurobeat mixes by independent DJs, not cds...

Post by Bonkers » 23 May 2011, 01:38

Are there any DJs on here who spin Eurobeat or have recorded mix? I would like to hear how others mix Eurobeat besides the Avex crew's "cut & paste" mixing.

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 23 May 2011, 05:26

Actually, the Avex Crew you're talking about are the ''popular'' Eurobeat Deejays.

As far as I know the deejays at the clubs only make edits of songs, no real mixes or megamixes. You can find some amateur deejays megamixing Eurobeat on www.nicovideo.jp though ;)

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 23 May 2011, 05:46

DarkSky wrote: As far as I know the deejays at the clubs only make edits of songs, no real mixes or megamixes.
There have been many mixes done by DJ Boss, DJ Shu, MST, etc. in the past, so the statement above is not entirely true. 9LoveJ Remix Crew has also done megamixes too.

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 23 May 2011, 05:57

Yeah their mixes are just glitchy Eurobeat. I have never heard a real remix by eurobeat deejays. (Eurobeat to other genre remix)

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 23 May 2011, 13:58

Oh hai Bonkers you were calling me? I have been trying to fade-mix (lets just call it that) eurobeat, but it's really damn hard. You can find some of my tries at http://soundcloud.com/mr_mudkips

I am still trying to figure out how I can do this kind of mixing in a live set, without paralist giving me the death glare because it's impossible to dance any routine to. D:

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 24 May 2011, 06:46

MKwiakaku
Oh hai Bonkers you were calling me? I have been trying to fade-mix (lets just call it that) eurobeat, but it's really damn hard. You can find some of my tries at http://soundcloud.com/mr_mudkips
I'm assuming you speak of mixing with mps? I can only do the cut and pasting jobs with audacity, but I don't find it so difficult with actual vinyls. Wish I had USB turntable, so I could; for lack of a better word. "Show Off" .It's just a matter of fact of timing and revolutions per minuite and ,of course how adequate the break and intro is in each song.

In fact, that is pretty much what I do on a rainy day. Give the old Techniqs 400s a good work over. 8)

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 24 May 2011, 18:52

It's not hard to beatmatch and crossfade tracks. But it IS hard to mix the newer eurobeat songs where even the breaks have a lot of music going on, and the sounds just don't work together all that good. There are some exceptions, but it's pretty damn hard to cross-mix a Hi-NRG Attack song into a Dima song.

If you stick to one label, it's not impossible, but there's more eurobeat than just that.

Back in the days when eurobeat was still released on vinyl, the breaks were a lot more like real breaks, and the songs not so complex as they tend to be now. Try to grab some deejaying software, and have a go. Record your mix, and admit that it is pretty hard. D;

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 25 May 2011, 02:55

I have to heavily agree with Mudkip. Even with copy-pastas mixing software (Adobe Audition, Goldwave, etc), it's extremely hard to do a nice fade transition and I wouldn't imagine hard. I have a lot of mixing experience. I've been copy-pasta mixing since... 10 years now? And it has only been lately since I've really grown as a mixer. I agree that older the eurobeat, the easier is to mix; the newer, the harder. Sometimes, it's really hard to come with something decent. But it really helps copy-pasta mixers when you have instrumental and acapellas... when they are available that is.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 26 May 2011, 00:23

DarkSky wrote:I have never heard a real remix by eurobeat deejays. (Eurobeat to other genre remix)
I would consider DJ Boss' remix of Arrows / Nagisa from Plum to be an actual remix as he literally did restructuring to the synth line. It sounds different from the original mix.

If I remember correctly the New Generation remix of Burning Desire / Mega NRG Man switches up the percussions and bass in the second half of the track after the guitar solo. A background synthline is also added to the main synth in the intro. It's pretty damn good remix done by a Eurobeat DJ remix team. 8)

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 26 May 2011, 01:37

Densetsu13 wrote:
DarkSky wrote:I have never heard a real remix by eurobeat deejays. (Eurobeat to other genre remix)
I would consider DJ Boss' remix of Arrows / Nagisa from Plum to be an actual remix as he literally did restructuring to the synth line. It sounds different from the original mix.

If I remember correctly the New Generation remix of Burning Desire / Mega NRG Man switches up the percussions and bass in the second half of the track after the guitar solo. A background synthline is also added to the main synth in the intro. It's pretty damn good remix done by a Eurobeat DJ remix team. 8)
And New Generation's remix of Yes I Will on 186's CD 2. Completely different.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 26 May 2011, 03:31

Don't forget that awesome remix of Happy Phantom when it started slowing down and had that italo disco feel to it!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 26 May 2011, 09:04

I say its almost impossible to crossmix newer Eurobeat unless its released on vinyl. First you have to know the bpms and more or less choose two songs with similiar speeds; otherwise they just won't transition into each other. It's easy to make your own extendeds out of SEB edits, cuz you are working with the same song, but I find it impossible to do with two different songs.

I don't know the theory of Cross mixing on p.c progams, but back in the day. You put two vinyls with speeds of -3 on the turn tables and they would mix beautifully. DELTA with HRG, Vibration with AbeatC. Whatever. It was all about the revolutions per minute.

Damn I miss vinyl as much as Eurogrooves. :(

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 26 May 2011, 09:13

drnrg wrote:I say its almost impossible to crossmix newer Eurobeat unless its released on vinyl. First you have to know the bpms and more or less choose two songs with similiar speeds; otherwise they just won't transition into each other. It's easy to make your own extendeds out of SEB edits, cuz you are working with the same song, but I find it impossible to do with two different songs.

I don't know the theory of Cross mixing on p.c progams, but back in the day. You put two vinyls with speeds of -3 on the turn tables and they would mix beautifully. DELTA with HRG, Vibration with AbeatC. Whatever. It was all about the revolutions per minute.

Damn I miss vinyl as much as Eurogrooves. :(
Mixing tracks with different BPMs using crossfading on a PC program involves either manually increasing or decreasing the BPM or pitch (depending on what program you use) so that they both play at the same speed. Obviously, the larger the difference between the original BPMs, the more chance there is that the result may sound a little weird or choppy.

When I used to create my non-stop mixes, I always tried to use tracks that were of a fairly similar BPM that would only require very minimal pitch shifting to bring them in sync. If the jump in BPM was too great, that's when I employed the more-standard techniques the the Avex DJs employ in non-stops (short transitions with very minimal simultaneous play between the two tracks).

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 26 May 2011, 10:22

the_ditz
Mixing tracks with different BPMs using crossfading on a PC program involves either manually increasing or decreasing the BPM or pitch (depending on what program you use) so that they both play at the same speed. Obviously, the larger the difference between the original BPMs, the more chance there is that the result may sound a little weird or choppy.

When I used to create my non-stop mixes, I always tried to use tracks that were of a fairly similar BPM that would only require very minimal pitch shifting to bring them in sync. If the jump in BPM was too great, that's when I employed the more-standard techniques the the Avex DJs employ in non-stops (short transitions with very minimal simultaneous play between the two tracks).
Exactly. but I'm guessing this would cause alot of trial & error mistakes, unless you got some kinda program that shows you the bpms of each song? That would make it an interesting task to perform, but only if I knew the BPms of each song beforeheand. My hat goes off to those of you who can do it effectively, cuz those AVEX dee jays sound to me like don't even try to transition mix anymore.

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 26 May 2011, 12:07

You can use freeware programs such as Mixmeister BPM Analyzer that will give the BPM of an mp3. It's not fail-proof and sometimes shows incorrect values, but it will normally be pretty accurate to within +/-0.01BPM.

But yeah, trial and error can sometimes be required. Of course this is easier to do on a PC that "live" using turntables as you can always easily undo your steps if they don't work out right!